Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roth
Jul 9, 2016

site posted:

i loved the joke but i am...hesitant about it being able to carry a mini

i mean ill read it cuz its a punisher book but i have no hope of it being good

I'll read it because I like Donny Cates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Yeah. A silly alternate form of the Punisher couldn't possibly sustain a miniseries.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Feb 27, 2018

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

site posted:

i loved the joke but i am...hesitant about it being able to carry a mini

i mean ill read it cuz its a punisher book but i have no hope of it being good

Donny Cates is a real good writer. So it will probably be good.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

demota posted:

Comixology is running a Black Panther Sale. As someone who doesn't know much about Black Panther or Marvel comics in general, anyone know what's both good and good for newbies?

Check out the first couple issues of the Kirby series. It’s delightfully weird.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/kaludiasays/status/968079851780476928

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
owns

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

demota posted:

Comixology is running a Black Panther Sale. As someone who doesn't know much about Black Panther or Marvel comics in general, anyone know what's both good and good for newbies?

Read Panther's Rage https://www.comixology.com/Black-Panther-Epic-Collection-Panthers-Rage/digital-comic/428436

That collection has the Fantastic Four issues T'Challa first appeared in and Panther's Rage itself, the first comic story he headlined, which reads well, looks loving amazing and much of the movie is adapted from. It's where Killmonger is from for example

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Feb 27, 2018

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Awesome.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I always suspect something fishy in those type of stories, like the class of little kids going to see Wonder Woman.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The first comment on the FB post sharing that was "has anyone checked the Chinese Buffets" and it just gets horrifically more racist from there on.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Teenage Fansub posted:

I always suspect something fishy in those type of stories, like the class of little kids going to see Wonder Woman.

Well it does have a potential negative side in that these kinds of fad pet purchases following movies can result in a lot of subsequent returns of pets as people realize everything that's actually involved with taking care of them, the buzz from the movie dies down, and they decide it's not worth the effort.

I think a lot of pet clown fish died following Finding Nemo's popularity and people not realizing how complicated fish can actually be to take care of.

Cats are definitely easier than fish in most cases (at least if you give a poo poo about the fish), so hopefully that doesn't happen here.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Local shelter tries its best

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

Why? Robbie's original series was nothing special and his follow up was garbage. Agents of Shield did more for the character than Marvel Comics ever could. This new versions at least resonated with fans.

I think his original showed a lot of promise before it got canned for Secret Wars. Not disagreeing about the follow-up though. Making the first arc of a Ghost Rider comic into a super drawn-out teamup/reference to the New Fantastic Four is right up there with KSD's Captain Marvel time travel arc in the "bad ways to start a comic" hall of fame

Also I think it's a little unfair to say the new version "resonates with fans" when he's hardly had any appearances and is pretty much only Frank Castle in name.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Feb 27, 2018

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

He's Deadpool but Frank Castle and Ghost Rider.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I'm looking to read some Punisher. I have marvel unlimited, and have read the marvel knights run (year 2000), but haven't read much else yet. What would you guys recommend next?

Also, I agree Del Mundo has potential for the right kind of Thor story, but can't say I would prefer him over Dauterman.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
The only punisher you read is Ennis' MAX work:

Born mini
The Tyger one shot
The Cell one shot
MAX issues 1-60 ONLY

in that order

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TwoPair posted:

I think his original showed a lot of promise before it got canned for Secret Wars. Not disagreeing about the follow-up though. Making the first arc of a Ghost Rider comic into a super drawn-out teamup/reference to the New Fantastic Four is right up there with KSD's Captain Marvel time travel arc in the "bad ways to start a comic" hall of fame

Also I think it's a little unfair to say the new version "resonates with fans" when he's hardly had any appearances and is pretty much only Frank Castle in name.

The second half of his original run is pretty much straight trash.

And Cosmic GR's first appearance sold out instantly, hit $25 within a week and is in multiple printings. People are eating that poo poo up and he's already getting his own book.

That sounds like he's resonating with fans. People want their Ghost Riders on two wheels is all.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

site posted:

Born mini
The Tyger one shot
The Cell one shot
MAX issues 1-60 ONLY

in that order

Rick Remander's Punisher is a fun read. Starts off with him going up against Norman's fascist-ish government before turning him into Frankenstein's monster for a bit.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

B33rChiller posted:

I'm looking to read some Punisher. I have marvel unlimited, and have read the marvel knights run (year 2000), but haven't read much else yet. What would you guys recommend next?

Also, I agree Del Mundo has potential for the right kind of Thor story, but can't say I would prefer him over Dauterman.

Frankenpunisher

Rhyno posted:

That sounds like he's resonating with fans. People want their Ghost Riders on two wheels is all.

He hasnt got wheels, he's got those plasma globe thingies!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There's two of them though!

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

site posted:

Born mini
The Tyger one shot
The Cell one shot
MAX issues 1-60 ONLY

in that order

Thats a weird order for the oneshots. Anyway none of these are on Marvel Unlimited due to them excluding MAX imrpint comics

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Thats a weird order for the oneshots. Anyway none of these are on Marvel Unlimited due to them excluding MAX imrpint comics

Circle of Blood should be on there and that's basically the first time Punisher got a comic that wasn't in their men's magazine line and is also drawn by Mike Zeck

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Sinners Sandwich posted:

The tyger is about his first hit so I think it would go before the cell? that's how it's ordered in the from first to last tpb as well

Sucks that Max isn't on unlimited that's like the only good not-silly punisher

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Cool thanks for the recs folks. I will stick with what is on unlimited for now, rather than splashing out more cash.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

The second half of his original run is pretty much straight trash.

And Cosmic GR's first appearance sold out instantly, hit $25 within a week and is in multiple printings. People are eating that poo poo up and he's already getting his own book.

Touche I guess, I suppose I just don't get why people are eating that poo poo up so fast. But then I've never understood the phenomenon when characters breakout super-fast. I suppose it's easier when the character starts as a gag.

However the Ghost Car ruled and yes this is the hill I'll die on I suppose.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Maybe we'll get a cosmic battle van

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Robbie's going to be in Avengers though?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
This is an alternate future story, Frank isn't actually becoming the ghost rider (unless the sales are great)

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

I'm holding out for Ghost Rider Rider: Robbie Reyes riding around on Johnny Blaze's back.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Punisher is a lot like Wolverine where I have some degree of tolerance even for a bad solo story. They're mostly the same poo poo but I like that poo poo.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

B33rChiller posted:

Cool thanks for the recs folks. I will stick with what is on unlimited for now, rather than splashing out more cash.

Wait for an Amazon sale. You can get all the Max for like 10 bux.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Yeah, I wish Marvel Unlimited had more Punisher comics in general, it's really lacking on the early stuff. Yes, I know it's a mixed bag, but I don't think you go into Punisher comics expecting Eisner material.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

JordanKai posted:

https://twitter.com/CBR/status/968174656871174144

I'm glad to hear that Jason Aaron is going to keep writing Thor, but :lol: at yet another title that only recently moved to legacy numbering getting renumbered again.

Thor carrying around a magical inventory full of different types of maces and hammers sounds cool, though.

I'm almost certain Hercules was doing that not long ago. Like that exact thing.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yeah, I wish Marvel Unlimited had more Punisher comics in general, it's really lacking on the early stuff. Yes, I know it's a mixed bag, but I don't think you go into Punisher comics expecting Eisner material.

No. You're there for the race switch, baby!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Punisher's always been an uneven C-lister, but he was in a lot of good and/or interesting stories before becoming Garth Ennis' pet character.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Teenage Fansub posted:

No. You're there for the race switch, baby!

Look, the subtext of a White American warrior having to constantly go to foreign lands and 2nd amendment them right in the drugs isn't enough for you?

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

New Multiple Man miniseries coming in July from Matthew Rosenberg and Andy MacDonald

http://comicbook.com/marvel/2018/02/26/multiple-man-jamie-madrox-series-matthew-rosenberg/

Rosenberg on how Jamie is still alive despite being killed at the beginning of Death of X:

quote:

“If I were smarter I'd probably say some nonsense about how this was all about the duality of man and the Jungian archetypes that exist within us, how they are often oppositional, and how the ideas of who we are existed before us and continue beyond us. Maybe the book is about what we leave behind in the world for the people who love us and the people who don't, and how that story is never a complete picture. But, honestly, I just like Jamie Madrox a lot and I raised my hand in a meeting at the Marvel office and said, 'What if he wasn't dead?' and then they asked me to make up how that would work. And so... here we are. Dude's not dead.”

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
It was a copy. Obviously.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

David D. Davidson posted:

Give it time, sooner or later the roles will switch and DC will be making terrible comics and Marvel will get their poo poo together.

I don't believe Bendis is on the warpath of ruining DC from the inside like most people imagine.

I know a lot of people in this thread enjoyed the stuff Marvel's been putting out, but outside of that, I don't see the numbers moving for Marvel. If Cebulski is real about this whole fresh start thing maybe they finally bring Wolverine back after a year of pointless teasing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Look, the subtext of a White American warrior having to constantly go to foreign lands and 2nd amendment them right in the drugs isn't enough for you?
I don't think that was what he meant by "race switch":
https://www.cbr.com/remember-to-forget-that-time-the-punisher-became-a-black-guy/

• Locked thread