Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I bought 40 gemstones used for making unarmed armor so if you get to level 30 I can make you a set

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
one of my favorite small details about this game are the offline quests you can do with NPCs. The remarks they give you when you log back in are pretty funny.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

please knock Mom! posted:

I bought 40 gemstones used for making unarmed armor so if you get to level 30 I can make you a set

Level 11 Unarmed and I think I've almost unlocked Mentalism. That led down quite the rabbit hole of trying to build rep with Mama so I could get a Good First Aid Kit because I need to hit friendly, but now I'm instead trying to help the Mentalism dude with his drug habit problems so...this game. Ya.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

TaintedBalance posted:

Level 11 Unarmed and I think I've almost unlocked Mentalism. That led down quite the rabbit hole of trying to build rep with Mama so I could get a Good First Aid Kit because I need to hit friendly, but now I'm instead trying to help the Mentalism dude with his drug habit problems so...this game. Ya.

Wait until you get to the talking psychic mushrooms.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

buglord posted:

one of my favorite small details about this game are the offline quests you can do with NPCs. The remarks they give you when you log back in are pretty funny.

There's a bug where if you have something fulfilled on the player work order board and you complete a hang-out, when you log in the message for the work order will override the message for the completed hang out.

I forgot I had an order up for dirt when I finally had sex with Rita.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
I make it a point to swing by Rita every few months to see if she wants to go on another hike. I'm disappointed she never does. I've had the intimate hangouts with her, Mushroom Jack, mentalism dude who I keep wanting to call Joeh even though I know that's not his name, and even Raul. There should be an achievement for that.

Edit: His name's Echur

Inimicul fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Aug 25, 2017

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Oh hey you're in the discord too

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

Is there a better way to get wool besides farming it from sheep which seem to spawn rarely and drop wool even more rarely?

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

TaintedBalance posted:

Is there a better way to get wool besides farming it from sheep which seem to spawn rarely and drop wool even more rarely?

If you have a skinning knife, you can skin them for a chance at extra wool. Sheep in higher level areas such as Kur mountains also drop it much more frequently. Assuming you're doing that quest in South Serbule, easiest thing to do at that level is ask in chat if anyone can spare the wool.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Easily the two best wool farms are the sheep near the Inn in Kur (kill everything since they share spawns) or in the basement of the Crypt near the boss. There's something like 10 fire sheep and a bunch of snails I would farm for fire dust and get wool as the boobie prize.

Or just put up a buy order and cross your fingers.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

ponzicar posted:

If you have a skinning knife, you can skin them for a chance at extra wool. Sheep in higher level areas such as Kur mountains also drop it much more frequently. Assuming you're doing that quest in South Serbule, easiest thing to do at that level is ask in chat if anyone can spare the wool.

Asking in chat makes sense, I have a hard enough time if I pull two goblins, going into higher areas seems unlikely.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
All I think I need from this game is the ability to ski like tribes (with or without the jetpack is acceptable) and I'll keep it installed forever.

As it is now it's giving me some good oldschool vibes but with plenty of quality of life features you'd expect from something more modern.

Do Like.

e:added myself to the list. Convenient that i'm at the end of any list anyway

zxqv8 fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Sep 2, 2017

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
South Serbule has been updated. seems a lot easier to find sheep for that newbie quest now, and there's a ton of new stuff.

BonerKid
Jan 3, 2002

Chill
:spooky:

BonerKid fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Oct 29, 2022

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

ponzicar posted:

South Serbule has been updated. seems a lot easier to find sheep for that newbie quest now, and there's a ton of new stuff.

Awesome to hear! I'm in the middle of a two week work trip and I've been fiending to get back. Hotel WiFi is rear end or I'd be playing right now.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
New UI is coming in the next major update, but you can grab it right now if you want.

SplashDemon
Aug 17, 2004

I'm gonna hug you
The new UI is officially up now.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Looks like Serb got a 4th graphics pass. Dang those cobblestones are bright.

MrTargetPractice
Mar 17, 2004

Is there UI scaling yet?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

SplashDemon posted:

The new UI is officially up now.

Looking good! Can it be customized?

SplashDemon
Aug 17, 2004

I'm gonna hug you

MrTargetPractice posted:

Is there UI scaling yet?

Jackard posted:

Looking good! Can it be customized?

Yes, there are several sliders and other options for scaling and customizing the UI, and the devs say they are adding even more options in the next update. You can also drag and drop several elements of the UI.

MrTargetPractice
Mar 17, 2004

Oh boy! Here I come crazy game.

MysteriousThing
Jul 21, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
I recently started playing this "game" and the chat window seemed to indicate that 63~ people were playing it, is that the actual number or are there more people playing?

I also noticed a distinct lack of Fart Apples in the game, I looted plenty of fruits and other plant based life forms but found not a single Fart Apple.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

MysteriousThing posted:

I recently started playing this "game" and the chat window seemed to indicate that 63~ people were playing it, is that the actual number or are there more people playing?

I also noticed a distinct lack of Fart Apples in the game, I looted plenty of fruits and other plant based life forms but found not a single Fart Apple.

I haven't logged on in about a month, but yes that would be the total amount of people logged in at that time. The most I've ever seen was 200 or so and that was when Asheron's Call had shut down and they were getting an influx from there. But yes, there's not many players, although considering it's an alpha and not on steam I guess it isn't that surprising. I actually think it's decently fun to play and I come back to it every so often. Not sure about its future prospects, but it's free for now so whatever.

SebastianK
Dec 4, 2011

Congratulations
Been getting way into this game this past week. Got way more into it than I thought I would, it's pretty rad.

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008
started up with this game. in as Wayn. still on the starter island but this owns. how do I train psychology? (i have 0)

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
You get psychology as you do stuff on newbie island. IIRC, there's a depressed guy guarding a book, once you learn to make potions you make him one that suspends his depression for a few minutes, long enough to get his book on psychology.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
The developer has decided to hit the steam button, which means there's only a couple weeks left to play the alpha for free.

I doubt steam is going to save this game, but if there's anyone still interested, it may be time for a new thread.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Freakazoid_ posted:

The developer has decided to hit the steam button, which means there's only a couple weeks left to play the alpha for free.

I doubt steam is going to save this game, but if there's anyone still interested, it may be time for a new thread.

I think it is this weekend.
Game is cool and fun, but man a price tag would be a big hurdle to get over.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I think they said there would be a grace period of a few weeks for current players before they need to buy it.

Have they said what they’re charging? I remember before they said it was going to be $40, which is rather, uhh, optimistic of them I guess you could say.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

I think they said there would be a grace period of a few weeks for current players before they need to buy it.

Have they said what they’re charging? I remember before they said it was going to be $40, which is rather, uhh, optimistic of them I guess you could say.

That's just so 75% or 90% off in sales makes ka-ching.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
I already paid for it via kickstarter ages ago. I'll have to reinstall it now and go cow around again.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I'll preface this with saying I actually enjoyed playing the game and would do so again in the future.

That said: did the game actually get a lot closer to completion over the past six months or are they stupidly optimistic about the fate of their glorious clusterfuck of an alpha?

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I’ve only started it up a few times in recent months, but based on what I saw and from reading the patch notes, not really. It certainly looks nicer and they’ve improved the UI a lot, but that seems to be mostly it. Oh, and you can make beer now. But maybe that’s older than six months.

I’m kind of surprised the Steam release is actually happening. I remember when I was playing regularly about a year and a half ago, it seemed like Steam integration was always “very soon.”

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

I might have to jump back into this dumb game. At least till July when the Camelot beta drops.

is there a functional goon guild?

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
This came out on steam yesterday
steam link

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

I’ve only started it up a few times in recent months, but based on what I saw and from reading the patch notes, not really. It certainly looks nicer and they’ve improved the UI a lot, but that seems to be mostly it. Oh, and you can make beer now. But maybe that’s older than six months.

I’m kind of surprised the Steam release is actually happening. I remember when I was playing regularly about a year and a half ago, it seemed like Steam integration was always “very soon.”

I was very surprised to get the email telling me how to link up my old account to the new shiny steam installation, since I had basically written off the Kickstarter ages ago.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

Okay, I'm poking at the game again and have a question.

Where the hell is the Fox Camp in Kur? I'm trying to learn Survival Instincts and it's aggrevating as hell to explore the zone due to the freeze-to-death mechanic. Help channel in game was surprisingly unhelpful.

Edit:
Literally five minutes after I posted I found it. And then got nuked by the defenders there. Yay.

Conskill fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Mar 20, 2018

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Is this worth getting in its new incarnation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conskill
May 7, 2007

Anticheese posted:

Is this worth getting in its new incarnation?

I'd give it a soft yes if you're into sandbox MMOs. It's still very rough around the edges, but the character building allows for interesting builds (I'm currently playing a psychic werewolf), there's plenty of gameworld to explore, and the writing doesn't take itself seriously.

That said, the graphics are abysmal, the tutorial is practically non-existent, and if you go in Wiki at hand planning to get a specific skill that sounds cool you might be in for a long grind. There's almost no limiter on what you can do and what skills you can raise, though, so as long as you're not OCD about it you can grow into harder-to-acquire skills in time by practicing easier-to-acquire ones. The only exceptions are Lycanthropy and Druidism, both of which are permanent choices with gameplay ramifications that you can't turn off.