Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Talking about Iwai, his shop menu music is low key the best in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Digirat posted:

the best part is that those cutscenes are often completely out of character too, ryuji doesn't act like that at all in the actual game and absolutely never pervs on ann

The cutscenes are malicious slander against my good friend ryuji to justify the girls beating the poo poo out of him and having him get dragged off by two horrendous gay stereotypes to be presumably raped

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Digirat posted:

the best part is that those cutscenes are often completely out of character too, ryuji doesn't act like that at all in the actual game and absolutely never pervs on ann

He doesn't perv on Ann specifically no, but he definitely pervs on everything else. 90% of his dialog is about how he wishes he could tell people he's a Phantom Thief so he could get girls.

He also kicks off the Kawakami subplot too by being a perv.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

HaB posted:

He also kicks off the Kawakami subplot too by being a perv.

gently caress that was weird. 'Maybe if we children call a maid to our empty room she'll do sex on us all'.

Gishin
Jun 15, 2013

But... This... What is this practice for?

Steve2911 posted:

gently caress that was weird. 'Maybe if we children call a maid to our empty room she'll do sex on us all'.

And then they puss out and leave you alone.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

IS the post game, new game+ type of deal where you keep your gear or is it a completely different playthrough? I want to try it on harder difficulty eventually.

Also too bad Atlus doesn't release any of their games on PC, would definitely double dip for this. Japan's PC gaming scene is nonexistant I guess, unless you count eroges.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Steve2911 posted:

That is how those services work in Japan.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
Finally finished this game this past weekend. Pretty fun romp, really enjoyed the hell out of this dumb anime teenager simulator. If not for NieR:Automata it would probably be my GOTY! The ending ruled, summoning in Satanael just to have it blow the final boss away with a well-placed headshot was some PlatinumGames level poo poo, and the cheesy moment with all of your confidants calling out to you to offer support was pretty touching. I like the bittersweet final scene--it's implied that the MC will remain close with everyone even if he doesn't live close by anymore, which is cool. Even Sojiro tears up over you leaving, but he's way too cool to show it haha.

Random question, pre-final boss: do your confidant ranks have any bearing on the ending, short of just not having people show up in the cutscenes? I was super worried about Haru in the Velvet Room since I didn't max her out and it kinda implied that not improving those bonds would make them not want to keep fighting, would be pretty hosed up but cool if lower ranks meant they had a chance to just sit and sulk for the rest of the game.

Welp, on to New Game+ I guess. Looking forward to maxing out the other confidants, especially Iwai. Sad I didn't get to see how his story played out.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

BlackFrost posted:

Finally finished this game this past weekend. Pretty fun romp, really enjoyed the hell out of this dumb anime teenager simulator. If not for NieR:Automata it would probably be my GOTY! The ending ruled, summoning in Satanael just to have it blow the final boss away with a well-placed headshot was some PlatinumGames level poo poo, and the cheesy moment with all of your confidants calling out to you to offer support was pretty touching. I like the bittersweet final scene--it's implied that the MC will remain close with everyone even if he doesn't live close by anymore, which is cool. Even Sojiro tears up over you leaving, but he's way too cool to show it haha.

Random question, pre-final boss: do your confidant ranks have any bearing on the ending, short of just not having people show up in the cutscenes? I was super worried about Haru in the Velvet Room since I didn't max her out and it kinda implied that not improving those bonds would make them not want to keep fighting, would be pretty hosed up but cool if lower ranks meant they had a chance to just sit and sulk for the rest of the game.

Welp, on to New Game+ I guess. Looking forward to maxing out the other confidants, especially Iwai. Sad I didn't get to see how his story played out.

Speaking of NG+ - what transfers over? Do you keep all your confidant ranks?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

HaB posted:

No, but all your traits carry over so you still have maxed charm/knowledge/etc.

You could max every confidant with months to spare.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

HaB posted:

No, but when you talk to everyone on the last day you get a gift if you reached max confidant rank with them. This lets you use some of their higher level bonuses once you start the Confidant again though the confidant itself is reset.

So as soon as you start the Confidant with Tae you get access to the full shop, Sojiro's lets you make coffee and curry from day 1 etc.

Here's the full list

https://segmentnext.com/2017/04/06/persona-5-new-game-plus-guide/

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?

Oxxidation posted:

No, but all your traits carry over so you still have maxed charm/knowledge/etc.

You could max every confidant with months to spare.

Also, if you maxed your confidant out you'll get an item from them for NG+ that basically gives them access to their max confidant rank ability from the getgo. So, your party members get their awakened personas, Strength lets you purchase higher-level fusions, etc.

Futaba also gave me one that lets me rank her up "faster" if I have a Hermit equipped because I dated her, not sure if that means Hermit = Auto Level Up or if you just get more points for good responses. I hope it's the former because I very much want to encourage her savage owning of Mishima.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Steve2911 posted:

Why does every single anime cutscene have to focus on the bodies of teenage girls and Ryuji making honka-honka moves?

Just for once it'd be cool if they animated an important or visually impressive story beat like someone unlocking their persona or something.

e: This whole beach thing is the absolute worst in every way. The protagonist... Is chased... By the gays.

I feel like all the group scenes in P5 kinda fall flat to me. Basically whenever the group is all hanging out and not on a mission they spend their time either complaining about not having another mission yet or just kinda suck... I kinda view this as their group not really having a great group friendship. Like the MC is friends with pretty much everyone, but get the group together and things get a little awkward. Its kinda like how in P3 you basically just start as coworkers. P4 meanwhile is funny and most of the group scenes are at least amusing.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The issue with Persona 5 is generally, I believe, that it's too tightly-wound for its own good. Too many days of nothing but cutscenes in a row, not enough days of freedom outside of the big deadline blocks, too much information fed to us via text conversation instead of more dynamic group scenes, etc. There's just too much they needed to convey and not enough space in the game for it.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Pash posted:

I feel like all the group scenes in P5 kinda fall flat to me. Basically whenever the group is all hanging out and not on a mission they spend their time either complaining about not having another mission yet or just kinda suck... I kinda view this as their group not really having a great group friendship. Like the MC is friends with pretty much everyone, but get the group together and things get a little awkward. Its kinda like how in P3 you basically just start as coworkers. P4 meanwhile is funny and most of the group scenes are at least amusing.

List of characters I liked in P4:
Naoto

List ends

I really prefer the P3 way of handling things, where you aren't a group of Super Best Friends, until you actually grow that way by fighting through hosed up stuff together. While I liked the characters in P5 a lot, I do agree that they messed up a bit by trying to combine the P3 "group of people who share a goal" with P4 "you are all instantly best friends" so the dynamic feels a bit weak

Gishin
Jun 15, 2013

But... This... What is this practice for?

Kaza42 posted:

List of characters I liked in P4:
Naoto

List ends

I really prefer the P3 way of handling things, where you aren't a group of Super Best Friends, until you actually grow that way by fighting through hosed up stuff together. While I liked the characters in P5 a lot, I do agree that they messed up a bit by trying to combine the P3 "group of people who share a goal" with P4 "you are all instantly best friends" so the dynamic feels a bit weak

The friendships with Yusuke made sense because he's autistic as gently caress and the relationship with Futaba made a lot of sense after her palace, but I feel you on the rest of the cast.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Naoto is incredibly boring

That's not fair, actually. It's more that the game around her gets really serious and starts to focus a lot more on her, and she's probably the least interesting member of the cast who isn't Yukiko, so she can't really support it.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Arist posted:

The issue with Persona 5 is generally, I believe, that it's too tightly-wound for its own good. Too many days of nothing but cutscenes in a row, not enough days of freedom outside of the big deadline blocks, too much information fed to us via text conversation instead of more dynamic group scenes, etc. There's just too much they needed to convey and not enough space in the game for it.

I wanted more scenes of the group or members hanging out and not discussing the plot. P4G had that in spades and it went a long way towards helping ease the pacing of the game.

Likewise with the text conversations, they definitely didn't use that to its fullest. I wanted it to be more like TMS's.

Now imagine that with Ann and Makoto.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Arist posted:

Ya this has been one of my main gripes with it. I understand they want to make you feel like your in game time is really valuable and make the friendship matter more but it just gets annoying.

Until you get your personal slave in which case you can tell her to cook bombs for you while you play video games with your cat.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Ryuji is a better bro than Yosuke.

The P4 crew is a better crew than the Phantom thieves.

FENCH DIGGITY
Oct 23, 2010

hee-ho, fuccboi
I'm fully on board the Yosuke hate train, Kanji best P4 bro

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I have a dream that one day the first male party member of a Persona game won't be constantly in fear of exams.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

ApplesandOranges posted:

I have a dream that one day the first male party member of a Persona game won't be constantly in fear of exams.

It is a bit sad how much Ryuji, Yosuke and Junpei are all superficially similar. Sure, they follow different character arcs, but their core personality traits are all the same

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

FENCH DIGGITY posted:

I'm fully on board the Yosuke hate train, Kanji best P4 bro

please don't bag on my boyfriend he's my partner

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I liked Yosuke.

Also I brought Ryuji to a theme park and everyone thought we were on a date. It owned.

Coughing Hobo posted:

I wanted more scenes of the group or members hanging out and not discussing the plot. P4G had that in spades and it went a long way towards helping ease the pacing of the game.

Likewise with the text conversations, they definitely didn't use that to its fullest. I wanted it to be more like TMS's.

Now imagine that with Ann and Makoto.
Yeah I loved all the LINE text conversations in TMS. There are a few good moments in the ones in P5 so far, but they mostly involve Futaba making disparaging comments about Ryuji or Yusuke.

I'm getting into late October now and poo poo just got real. I have started maxing a few Confidants - Ryuji, Mishima and Tora. I need to work on my party members a bit more though.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Kaza42 posted:

It is a bit sad how much Ryuji, Yosuke and Junpei are all superficially similar. Sure, they follow different character arcs, but their core personality traits are all the same

Because we always need someone to initiate Operation Babe Hunt in every single game.

Your expression says no, but the producers say yes.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Beat the game :toot:

Could definitely see myself going back for a plat if I didn't have a bunch of other games I want to play right now, but it didn't quite grab me enough to push them back. Doing dungeons again would be a hell of a slog, too. Maybe later (probably not later).

Still, I'd probably put it ahead of BotW in my top games of 2017.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

IcePhoenix posted:

Beat the game :toot:

Could definitely see myself going back for a plat if I didn't have a bunch of other games I want to play right now, but it didn't quite grab me enough to push them back. Doing dungeons again would be a hell of a slog, too. Maybe later (probably not later).

Still, I'd probably put it ahead of BotW in my top games of 2017.

Nice, I am very close to finishing it too. Just finished the last palace. I was wondering what was your game time?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Ulio posted:

Nice, I am very close to finishing it too. Just finished the last palace. I was wondering what was your game time?

I think it was a bit under 90 hours. I was playing on safe mode though because I'm dumb.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

IcePhoenix posted:

I think it was a bit under 90 hours. I was playing on safe mode though because I'm dumb.

Don't get hung up on difficulty, just enjoy the game in whatever way you want to play it.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I'm over 80 hours on my save and it's only October. :staredog:

There's probably a lot of idling time though, plus retrying boss fights etc.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

ApplesandOranges posted:

Because we always need someone to initiate Operation Babe Hunt in every single game.

Your expression says no, but the producers say yes.

I just want to hunt down lobsters with yusuke :(

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Alacron posted:

Don't get hung up on difficulty, just enjoy the game in whatever way you want to play it.

Oh, yeah I'm well aware of that. I'm dumb because it removed all challenge from the game whatsoever. In the end I don't know how much different my opinion of the game would be had I played on normal/hard (as the repetitiveness and length of dungeons would have been so much worse), but it would have been nice to really have to invest in the combat system instead of steamrolling everything.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It's crazy how much longer this game actually is than P4G. I've almost put in the same number of hours as I put in to get to the last (non-true-ending) boss of P4G and it's not many more than I've put into P5 just up to early September.

I couldn't even pinpoint where that extra time comes from. Are there just more group chats peppered throughout the game?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Steve2911 posted:

It's crazy how much longer this game actually is than P4G. I've almost put in the same number of hours as I put in to get to the last (non-true-ending) boss of P4G and it's not many more than I've put into P5 just up to early September.

I couldn't even pinpoint where that extra time comes from. Are there just more group chats peppered throughout the game?

A pretty significant chunk of my playtime in 5 is from me dicking around on my phone and forgetting to advance dialogue during the slow stretches.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Steve2911 posted:

Some of it also comes from the dungeons and mementos. They're longer than the 4 equivalents.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

IcePhoenix posted:

Oh, yeah I'm well aware of that. I'm dumb because it removed all challenge from the game whatsoever. In the end I don't know how much different my opinion of the game would be had I played on normal/hard (as the repetitiveness and length of dungeons would have been so much worse), but it would have been nice to really have to invest in the combat system instead of steamrolling everything.

I think you might have had to invest more into better personas on normal but tbh normal is pretty easy as well. So I am wondering how easy, easy and safe are.

I totally understand playing on Easy. I normally go on harder difficulties but there are some games where I don't really care about the gameplay or just wanna zone out so I bump down the difficulty.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

I played through P4G on hard my first play through and crushed it.

I tried to play through p5 my first play through on hard and I had to give up and put it on normal. I don't know if it's because the palaces are longer than the dungeons and there's less ways early on to exploit the system (shuffle time was sooo great), but I wasted so much time doing the first palace and was miserable about it.

My overall experience with this game would have been better to play on normal all the way through the first time.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Steve2911 posted:

Maybe from the fact that you have Mementos on top of the Story dungeons? I guess in 4 you were usually going back into previous Dungeons too, to complete Requests after beating the Story dungeons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

waah posted:

I played through P4G on hard my first play through and crushed it.

I tried to play through p5 my first play through on hard and I had to give up and put it on normal. I don't know if it's because the palaces are longer than the dungeons and there's less ways early on to exploit the system (shuffle time was sooo great), but I wasted so much time doing the first palace and was miserable about it.

My overall experience with this game would have been better to play on normal all the way through the first time.

Ya I feel like we had the same experience except I had never played a persona game before. Went hard and did the first dungeon on that difficulty with like 3 days left. It was a horrible experience and I went on normal after. I think on hard you pretty much need to use every checkpoint to take a break especially early on when SP is so hard to come by.