Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
A bit like that part in Planetary where they find notGalactus' ship and slowly decaying corpse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

And all the actual Galactus corpse use in Fantastic Four.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Writers just love a dead Galactus I guess...

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Oh! So the squares are eye overlays and not just funky space god pupils? Fancy that.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

I do love comic books.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Galactus found dead in Miami

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Teenage Fansub posted:

And all the actual Galactus corpse use in Fantastic Four.

So he doesn't have square pupils but square spectacles?

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Sinners Sandwich posted:

So he doesn't have square pupils but square spectacles?

Lets see how good your eyes are when you're as old as the universe.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

good day for a bris posted:

Lets see how good your eyes are when you're as old as the universe.

Older! :flashfact:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/MitchGerads/status/968533365807722496

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Is that an antimonitor? I'm curious to see where they fit now in all this nonsense but I never remember it anyway.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nevvy Z posted:

Is that an antimonitor? I'm curious to see where they fit now in all this nonsense but I never remember it anyway.

Uh, that is a plush Batman.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Rhyno posted:

Uh, that is a plush Batman.

That is clearly a sword.

Jesus get some square spectacles guys.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Priest is a Wolfman student and will break his own back

I'm still a couple months behind in the thread, but let me pop forward to say that this sounds very Midnight Sons.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Bleeding Cool so take it with a grain of salt

quote:

The success of Batman: White Knight, Dark Knight III: The Master Race and Nightwing: New World Order has demonstrated a readership for more adult-suitable stories using DC Comics characters. So while DC Zoom and DC Ink offer comics aimed at a child and young adult audience I get the word that something called DC Black Label will feature comics aimed at adults using familiar DC characters.

I have been told to consider them as R-Rated Elseworlds, not impinging on ongoing DC Comics continuity, but reflecting it in whichever way the writers and artists choose. I am told to expect the collection of White Knight to launch the imprint and that Kelly Sue DeConnick will have a Wonder Woman launch title. And I am to expect other books with Superman and Batman.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/02/28/dc-black-label-new-mature-readers-superhero-imprint-think-r-rated-elseworlds/

I'm surprised at hearing New Order being considered a Success but I won't say no to anything that get us more Elseworlds.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Man, white Knight, the master race, and new world order are some fuckin :godwin: titles lol

How many months until the ultra gritty watchmen book

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 38 minutes!
R-rated elseworlds are good and fine. Cant wait.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

I missed the new page. What the heck is this ridiculous corpse? Is it an anti-monitor? Thats a thing I know they have.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I think it might be an old god.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/02/28/dc-black-label-new-mature-readers-superhero-imprint-think-r-rated-elseworlds/

I'm surprised at hearing New Order being considered a Success but I won't say no to anything that get us more Elseworlds.

Don't get me wrong, Marvel MAX was mostly poo poo, but it also had Alias and Punisher.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Back in the day this used to be called "Vertigo".

Top Gun
Oct 24, 2017
I'm really loving the New Age of Heroes books. I have said for years if you want to add diversity make new characters instead of killing off classics and shoving in new versions that nobody wants. Finally DC listened. Silencer in particular is highly enjoyable.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

You're a dumb dumb

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

'tec's extremely good this week and I wish this comic had more character interactions like this the whole time. A regular Batfamily series would be A+.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
That helmet should be really distinctive but it doesn't stand out in comic world at all.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Mr Hootington posted:

R-rated elseworlds are good and fine. Cant wait.

I think it's one where I'm going to be pretty picky with the writer / artist combo. No blind buying like I would for a new YA title.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Nevvy Z posted:

I missed the new page. What the heck is this ridiculous corpse? Is it an anti-monitor? Thats a thing I know they have.

It's a pastiche of the Fantastic Four. It's literally fake Galactus.

They meet Pantom Girl later on for the the team's own Sue Richards.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I do love, love, love Elseworlds, so I'm intrigued, but this being essentially DC MAX has me a little worried. Not because I don't want gritty, R-rated Elseworlds, but because I also want lighter, less grim ones too. Oh well, we'll see, and I look forward to hearing more.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I am trying to think of which characters would best benefit from a "Marvel Max" treatment and the only one I can come up with is Wild Dog.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Top Gun posted:

I'm really loving the New Age of Heroes books. I have said for years if you want to add diversity make new characters instead of killing off classics and shoving in new versions that nobody wants. Finally DC listened. Silencer in particular is highly enjoyable.

Holy poo poo, this is flat out racism. Banhammer this prick.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 38 minutes!

Madkal posted:

I am trying to think of which characters would best benefit from a "Marvel Max" treatment and the only one I can come up with is Wild Dog.

Someone doesnt read cave carson

Edit: just read spoilers for the superman/booster gold team up arc. Sounds like they made booster booster again. ill have to buy these next paycheck.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Mar 1, 2018

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Regardless of mister Diversity & Comics over there, Silencer is pretty good.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Mar 1, 2018

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Madkal posted:

Maybe some of their sword and sorcery/planet characters? Starfire, Claw the Unconquered, Beowulf... Deadman, Etrigan, or Simon Dark if they tap into their horror themed heroes? Lobo could probably do well in this too.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Bring back House of Mystery

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

There should definitely be a House of Mystery/Hanna Barbera crossover for the next batch of those, called "Mouse of History"

They even have a detective mouse to use.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm normally all for weird rear end crossovers and dumb goofy poo poo happening in comics, but those Hanna Barbera crossovers have really not done anything for me.

Probably because I don't care about 99% of the Hanna Barbera catalog.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It would only be existing for the spoonerism.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Roth posted:

Bring back House of Mystery

I had a post here about why I thought that wouldn't work for this Black Label thing, but I think that could be interesting if they focused on the hosts a bit more (or a dark comedy Cain and Abel series? I'd definitely get that).

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I'm still kinda sorta wary about this Detective Comics arc, and I'm starting to see the complaint people have had with this series where it's just "everyone rags on Batman for being dumb and ineffectual over and over and over again"...but drat, what a well-written issue for the Bat-kids and for Barbara Gordon in general. I haven't been keeping up with Babs all that much through recent years but this is hands-down the best I've seen her written in what little I have seen.

And, also, I have to admit it, Jason had some pretty great lines here as well.

e: The part that's making me wary is that...yeah, Babs and Jason lay down some sic burnz about Bruce's methods and I guess us readers are supposed to be like "Yeah you go girls, you tell that loser!" because it's such insightfully scathing commentary into Batman's ongoing flaws and issues...but like...Tynion is the one who has been writing Bruce that way in the first place. Tynion is the one who has engineered this whole ongoing problem with the Belfry team and no one forced him to have to do that, he could have easily created a functional situation for Bruce and Kate instead. And, yeah, that wouldn't create the drama and tension that he wants for this arc, but in either case, I just feel a bit weird rooting for Babs and Jason's trash talk here when it pretty much boils down to the author trash-talking the overall arc of his own series.

Does that make any sense? The closest comparison I might make is the common complaint people have against Geoff Johns where he'll have characters bemoan how dark the world has gotten and how they have to make it bright again but like, Johns the writer was part of the reason that the world had gotten so dark in the first place.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Mar 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

BrianWilly posted:

Does that make any sense?

Yeah, that's been a problem with the series from the start. The first story arc had Batman going all in on the 'There is no League of Shadows, so we must stop these military-based Batmen' thing, with him seeming oblivious and in over his head because we see them infiltrating the place, but it's revealed that Batman was mind controlled into believing that the whole time.

The thing that makes it hard to say whether Tyrion is devoted to just crapping on Batman was the rest of the story arc, where the military Batmen didn't really succeed in doing anything except beating up heroes, getting beat up by Lady Shiva, then 'killing' Tim Drake. But THIS seems like the type of oversight comic writers tend towards, like your point with Johns or Marvel's attempt at painting Cyclops as a super evil mutant terrorist for trying to stop the Inhumans from committing genocide.

nofather fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Mar 1, 2018