Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Looking for a late 80s comic where the X-men fought clowns in a malfunctioning danger room. It is not Obnoxio. The reason I'm looking for it is theres a panel where one of the clowns shoots Rogue in a shoulder with a false flag harpoon gun and the panel is uneccarisly gory for a 80s Marvel comic

Is it Damage Control #4?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Bingo! That's nasty looking. Great comic btw

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hey what happened to the humanoid Starro with the axe and stuff anyway?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Could anyone get me up to speed on Jean Grey since X-Men Blue? Like, spoil the whole thing, I have the trades of Blue and her solo and knowing how it would unfold would actually get me interested in reading them.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
Can Batman play any musical instruments?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Doom Mathematic posted:

Batman can do anything he wants. He is perfect and flawless in every way.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Doom Mathematic posted:

The real Shameful Secret.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Doom Mathematic posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOt-iQRpI-Q

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Schneider Heim posted:

Could anyone get me up to speed on Jean Grey since X-Men Blue? Like, spoil the whole thing, I have the trades of Blue and her solo and knowing how it would unfold would actually get me interested in reading them.

This is going to be off to a rocky start, because: Which Jean Grey?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Maybe the one who starred in Blue and the concurrent solo series.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Feb 27, 2018

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah that seemed pretty obvious from context.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Well both (or all) of them! I'm seeing Adult Jean running around so something must have happened!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Young Jean had a premonition that the Phoenix was coming back, so she ran around getting advice on how to fight it while being haunted by the ghost of old Jean. The Phoenix showed up roasted new Jean, and brought old Jean back from the dead to be its host. Old Jean told the Phoenix to take a hike and young Jean fought her way out of the White Hot Room. So now they're both alive and living in roughly the same time and space.

Simultaneously Young Jean went on a time travel escapade with the rest of the O5, and they all have Venom symbiotes at the moment.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Android Blues posted:

She did actually get fridged for a while in the early 90s (not literally). She used to be married to Daimon Hellstrom, and during the course of Hellstrom's adventures she was made insane by an evil demon lord and driven to suicide.

There's some argument as to whether it constitutes a proper fridging though, since the plan was to bring her back in a few issues, but the title got cancelled. So she ended up being dead for like seven years real-time before she got resurrected in the pages of a 2000 issue of Thunderbolts.
I'm curious where this is coming from, since Patsy Walker wasn't a big part of the 1990s Hellstrom series at *all*. Warren Ellis took over the book with issue 12, brought Patsy back into the book in issue 14 where she killed herself, and then wrote issues 15-22 with barely a passing mention of Patsy or her death as Hellstrom hooks up with Original Warren Ellis Character Jaine Cutter, launching his decades-long obsession with people who have verbs/objects as names.

Anyway, my point is that Ellis seemingly brought Patsy back into the picture when taking over the book so that he could kill her off, giving Hellstorm a clear path to hooking up with Jaine, a teenage gothic pop star with demon guns and a sexy leather fashion style, instead of Hellcat or whatever. And Ellis had eight issues (out of twelve) of his Hellstorm run to bring Patsy back or develop that storyline further and did not.

Maybe I'm being uncharitable, but I don't recall any sort of indication (inside or outside of the comic itself) that suggests that there were any plans but to unceremoniously write off the uncool wife.

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011
Speaking of Warren Ellis, I'm trying to remember the name of a story he wrote. The main thing I remember about it was that the protagonist, a middle-aged white guy possibly wearing a trenchcoat, ranted at the bad guys about science or something while they died in front of him.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Claytor posted:

Speaking of Warren Ellis, I'm trying to remember the name of a story he wrote. The main thing I remember about it was that the protagonist, a middle-aged white guy possibly wearing a trenchcoat, ranted at the bad guys about science or something while they died in front of him.

:flipoff:

:D

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Claytor posted:

Global Mekanical Color Time of Day in Hell.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Claytor posted:

Might have been... hmmm...

Frank Ironwine?
Desolation Jones?
William Gravel?
Spider Jerusalem?
Simon Specter?
Doktor Sleepless?
Lazarus Churchyard?
Morphine Somers?

or it might have been one of his 1990s Marvel books, hard to say.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Claytor posted:

Take it back. :mad:

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Doom Mathematic posted:

https://youtu.be/57zFkL9GSZA

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

howe_sam posted:

Young Jean had a premonition that the Phoenix was coming back, so she ran around getting advice on how to fight it while being haunted by the ghost of old Jean. The Phoenix showed up roasted new Jean, and brought old Jean back from the dead to be its host. Old Jean told the Phoenix to take a hike and young Jean fought her way out of the White Hot Room. So now they're both alive and living in roughly the same time and space.

Simultaneously Young Jean went on a time travel escapade with the rest of the O5, and they all have Venom symbiotes at the moment.

That sounds awesome. I thought they killed off Young Jean permanently from what I've been hearing. I've always liked Jean.

I also saw a bunch of panels where Cyclops shows up in front of Jean, was that the Phoenix's doing?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Schneider Heim posted:

That sounds awesome. I thought they killed off Young Jean permanently from what I've been hearing. I've always liked Jean.

I also saw a bunch of panels where Cyclops shows up in front of Jean, was that the Phoenix's doing?
If it was Adult Cyclops, yes; the Phoenix was pulling a last-ditch temptation when it became clear she was really through with it.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Could anyone recommend me some good books about Marvel comics in the vein of Sean Howie's Marvel: The Untold Story? Love the behind the scenes stuff, almost as much as I like comics themselves.
Specifically looking for stuff about Lee/Ditko Spiderman years, and the hot mess that was the 80s?

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
I don't know if there are any books about those periods. Comic Wars by Dan Raviv is pretty much the definitive text on the '90s disaster, though.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

CapnAndy posted:

If it was Adult Cyclops, yes; the Phoenix was pulling a last-ditch temptation when it became clear she was really through with it.

Jean telling the Phoenix to gently caress off back to space forever mirrors my feelings on the subject perfectly. Enough is enough.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Are Alan Moore's complaints about Blackest Night as silly as they sound? I'm not really familiar with Green Lantern but it sounds like he's pissed off someone took a story idea he set up and ran with it.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

He's more bemused and mocking than anything else. And really, going through his trash like raccoons is a pretty fair summation of it. Johns basically took stuff that was supposed to give a one-off backup story some moody, Lovecraftian atmosphere and built an inane, turgid, and ultimately meaningless "epic" out of it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Putrid Grin posted:

Specifically looking for stuff about Lee/Ditko Spiderman years, and the hot mess that was the 80s?

The 80's were a hot mess at Marvel? The 70's had a nearly literal revolving door of editors-in-chief with everyone carving out their personal fifedoms with disastrous results and the 90's were the 90's. Jim Shooter being a dick barely pings the mess-dar compared to those.

But to your question, there's not really a whole lot out there that I'd call great. Most of the books tend to be pretty puffy, "Boy howdy isn't Marvel great?" things. If you really want to dig into that stuff and are willing to put in some effort, the 80's was when the fan press really got going. The Comics Journal would be the most notable for pursuing the controversies of the time. But that's a lot less fun than just reading a book with an overview.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Senior Woodchuck posted:

I don't know if there are any books about those periods. Comic Wars by Dan Raviv is pretty much the definitive text on the '90s disaster, though.
For what it's worth, Comic Wars is kind of terrible. Not just because it's one of those creative non-fiction books that narrates everything like it's a novel complete with inner monologues of people like Ike Perlmutter who definitely did not agree to be interviewed by Raviv (or ANYBODY) about the events in the book, not just for a bunch of nitpicking comics nerd type of errors, but for like basic poo poo an editor should have caught in terms of facts/timelines like describing how the blockbuster sales of X-Force #1 and X-Men #1 [in 1991] led Ron Perelman to see Marvel as an attractive company to acquire... in 1989.

The broad strokes are all correct, though you can also get those from Wikipedia or any number of blog posts probably. Many of the finer details are either flat-out wrong or unsourced and presented in a way that I have no idea if they are true but given everything surrounding them I don't have much faith in them.

It's also the book that provided the 'charming' backstory of how a young Isaac Perlmutter would hang out near Jewish cemeteries in Brooklyn and pretend to be a rabbi to get paid to do funeral services. In any other context I would assume this is some sort of anti-semitic rumor (and hell, it might be) but within Comic Wars it is presented as proof that Perlmutter is a lovable scamp, a hard-working hustler always striving to get ahead. Not you know, someone defrauding mourners.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Mar 1, 2018

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
The best that can be said about that is that it's not technically blasphemous, because you don't need a rabbi for funerals. It's still unbelievably icky.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

The 80's were a hot mess at Marvel? The 70's had a nearly literal revolving door of editors-in-chief with everyone carving out their personal fifedoms with disastrous results and the 90's were the 90's. Jim Shooter being a dick barely pings the mess-dar compared to those.

Sure the the lunatics weren't running the asylum, but then again the guy steering the ship was not exactly full of great ideas either.

Edge & Christian posted:

For what it's worth, Comic Wars is kind of terrible. Not just because it's one of those creative non-fiction books that narrates everything like it's a novel complete with inner monologues of people like Ike Perlmutter who definitely did not agree to be interviewed by Raviv (or ANYBODY) about the events in the book, not just for a bunch of nitpicking comics nerd type of errors, but for like basic poo poo an editor should have caught in terms of facts/timelines like describing how the blockbuster sales of X-Force #1 and X-Men #1 [in 1991] led Ron Perelman to see Marvel as an attractive company to acquire... in 1989.

The broad strokes are all correct, though you can also get those from Wikipedia or any number of blog posts probably. Many of the finer details are either flat-out wrong or unsourced and presented in a way that I have no idea if they are true but given everything surrounding them I don't have much faith in them.

It's also the book that provided the 'charming' backstory of how a young Isaac Perlmutter would hang out near Jewish cemeteries in Brooklyn and pretend to be a rabbi to get paid to do funeral services. In any other context I would assume this is some sort of anti-semitic rumor (and hell, it might be) but within Comic Wars it is presented as proof that Perlmutter is a lovable scamp, a hard-working hustler always striving to get ahead. Not you know, someone defrauding mourners.

Thanks for the heads up. I dont mind embellishments (I dug the Console Wars), but factual errors defeat the purpose of the book like that. The guy running mile high comics was brought in to evaluate the company and help find a buyer iirc, and he wrote an interesting article about it.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Putrid Grin posted:

Could anyone recommend me some good books about Marvel comics in the vein of Sean Howie's Marvel: The Untold Story? Love the behind the scenes stuff, almost as much as I like comics themselves.

Chris Jericho's podcast interviewed Reed Tucker about his book, Slugfest.

It's a book chronicling the 50+ year rivalry between Marvel and DC. It's not exactly what you were asking, but it could be a really good read.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/34219756-slugfest

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
So I recently got a new job that's at a desk and I'm wondering if there's any good comic podcasts out there? The few I've heard are terribly dull and I really can't deal with dull when I'm struggling to stay awake.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

TwoPair posted:

So I recently got a new job that's at a desk and I'm wondering if there's any good comic podcasts out there? The few I've heard are terribly dull and I really can't deal with dull when I'm struggling to stay awake.

They riffed on "gay Batman characters" the other day on Cum Town.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

TwoPair posted:

I only listen to 1.5 comics podcasts. X-plain the X-Men is a comprehensive, nearly chronological look at X-Men comics. I also listen to a little bit of War Rocket Ajax, only the episodes that interest me (mainly the Every Story Ever specials). That podcast does news, reviews, and interviews in their regular episodes.

My biggest problem with most comics podcasts is that they are audio about a highly visual medium.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
View from the Gutters does pretty good longform discussion about comic book runs / story arcs. Mostly indie books. They've really slowed lately on content, but they have a huge back catalog.

I Read Comics does a weekly news / topic discussion. They're ok, not great.

War Rocket Ajax as mentioned does some good features (every story ever & panel president are fun) and has the weekly news / topic thing going on as well.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Uthor posted:

I only listen to 1.5 comics podcasts. X-plain the X-Men is a comprehensive, nearly chronological look at X-Men comics. I also listen to a little bit of War Rocket Ajax, only the episodes that interest me (mainly the Every Story Ever specials). That podcast does news, reviews, and interviews in their regular episodes.

My biggest problem with most comics podcasts is that they are audio about a highly visual medium.

Yeah these are what I listen to and also why I don't listen to more. Word Balloon occasionally has good interviews with creators, too.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Why does Alicia Masters walk around without a cane (60s,70s, not sure about modern times) but Matt Murdock who was created in the same time period needs a cane?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Why does Alicia Masters walk around without a cane (60s,70s, not sure about modern times) but Matt Murdock who was created in the same time period needs a cane?

Because Matt Murdock has to pretend harder to protect his blind identity. Masters has noting to lose.

No prize, please.