Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

kenner116 posted:

Peanut brittle futures are a solid investment.

I still actually retch a bit every time someone mentions peanut brittle in any context. Thanks, China thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

What's with peanut brittle? I like peanut brittle its great stuff.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

BrainDance posted:

What's with peanut brittle? I like peanut brittle its great stuff.

Ah, to be young and innocent again.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Enjoy the privilege of not knowing about peanut brittle.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
I love reaching down and feeling around for a peanut brittle!

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es
it's a shame he wasn't more descriptive about the smell

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
So, I don't know where else to ask this one...

Is there a brand of milk in China that actually tastes like milk? I swear to god I'm drinking malk every brand thus far, or water with powdery pretensions. And the imported stuff is all watery stale long-life.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Not really, no. Yak milk is pretty good though, but it's pricy.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Is the Zaurg thread leaking?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I've always heard people say the milk in China tasted better than in the US. It's creamier and more milky. Though the last time I had Chinese milk was 10 years ago. Maybe it's all heavy metals now.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

bamhand posted:

I've always heard people say the milk in China tasted better than in the US. It's creamier and more milky. Though the last time I had Chinese milk was 10 years ago. Maybe it's all heavy metals now.

I'm used to Australian milk, so I can't judge on that account. I find the cow milk here is really thin and watery, although the coconut milk I tried is excellent.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Try half and half.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

bamhand posted:

Neither of those is true. It is almost always whole milk though, maybe that's why. I've seen skim but never 2%.

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

coolusername posted:

Is there a brand of milk in China that actually tastes like milk? I swear to god I'm drinking malk every brand thus far, or water with powdery pretensions. And the imported stuff is all watery stale long-life.
I believe all the milk in China is UHT, even it is supposed to be sold soon after production. This causes it to taste different than what we're used to in non-Asian countries.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/22/pasteurized-homogenized-milk_n_5606168.html

quote:

Pasteurization is the process of heating milk up and then quickly cooling it down to eliminate certain bacteria. For effective pasteurization, milk can be heated up to 145 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes, but this method isn’t very common. More common is heating milk up to at least 161.6 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 seconds, which is known as High-temperature Short-Time (HTST) pasteurization, or flash pasteurization. This method will keep milk fresh for two to three weeks. Then there’s Ultra-Heat Treatment (UHT), whereby milk is heated to 280 degrees Fahrenheit for a minimum of two seconds. This processing results in a shelf life that can extend up to nine months. Milk treated with pasteurization or HTST is labeled as “pasteurized,” while milk treated with UHT is labeled as “ultra-pasteurized.”
When I was in India last everyone made a big fuss about UHT and taste. Even the guy at the dairy shop would tell me not to buy it, or at least only use it for tea and not drink it straight or use it for recipes. They thought it all tasted like trash. It does taste different, and that's how milk in most of Asia tastes.

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

Waiting in line at the grocery store yesterday, I overheard a Taiwanese guy talking about Mainlanders. "They have something wrong with them."

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

coolusername posted:

三元鲜牛奶 is really good, it tastes exactly like proper, fresh milk.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Flyball posted:

Waiting in line at the grocery store yesterday, I overheard a Taiwanese guy talking about Mainlanders. "They have something wrong with them."

d&d getting a bit stale, go post this over there for me plz

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Flyball posted:

that country ain't right

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
In Thailand Meiji is the only brand that tastes right to me. Dutch can gently caress right off. In Taiwan it was High Quality Milk.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
:laffo: if true!

Velisarius
Nov 1, 2009
The Japanese know how to deal with Chinese thugs.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Grand Fromage posted:

Not really, no. Yak milk is pretty good though, but it's pricy.

Yak Butter Tea is absolutely bonkers.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Is WhatsApp still blocked in China?

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
xǐmiàn nǎi (洗面奶) = motorboating (lit. "facial cleanser", where "奶" serves as both slang for breasts and a thick liquid, and pressing one's head between a woman's breasts vaguely resembles washing one's face)

LimburgLimbo posted:

Is WhatsApp still blocked in China?
Still? You mean they just remove blocked things sometimes? LOL. Random people's spotty ability to get a text message here and there doesn't count.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Change your name to 六四天安門事件 and play PUBG

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
i wanna go to china because they are racist as hell but i have a feeling they're as racist against me as against, say, black people. i honestly think they can be matched by indians in how racist they are, where chinese consider them smelly browns, and the indians hate them back with equal ferocity, comparing them to pigs very frequently, and doing mock impressions of chinese language that your racist granddad would do ("ching chong" etc.), drawing them with slanted lines for eyes in cartoons, and so on.

indians hate blacks too, but the thing is they're too cosmopolitan, especially in their cities, to all be horrible racists, and china seems to be racist and unwelcoming even in the tier one cities.

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Bajaj posted:

xǐmiàn nǎi (洗面奶) = motorboating (lit. "facial cleanser", where "奶" serves as both slang for breasts and a thick liquid, and pressing one's head between a woman's breasts vaguely resembles washing one's face)

Still? You mean they just remove blocked things sometimes? LOL. Random people's spotty ability to get a text message here and there doesn't count.

did you ever ride a bajaj. if yes, how many accidents have you been victim in that.

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
You got it backwards, the fiveheads ride the Bajaj.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Change your name to 六四天安門事件 and play PUBG

I've been trying to choose between this and "China belongs to Tibet."

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Fututor Magnus posted:

did you ever ride a bajaj. if yes, how many accidents have you been victim in that.
Riding in/on, or driven? Driven - Just a motorbike and not an auto-rickshaw. Ridden in/on? Unlimited. The electrics are much easier on the ears/nose.

Fututor Magnus posted:

i wanna go to china because they are racist as hell but i have a feeling they're as racist against me as against, say, black people. i honestly think they can be matched by indians in how racist they are, where chinese consider them smelly browns, and the indians hate them back with equal ferocity, comparing them to pigs very frequently, and doing mock impressions of chinese language that your racist granddad would do ("ching chong" etc.), drawing them with slanted lines for eyes in cartoons, and so on.

indians hate blacks too, but the thing is they're too cosmopolitan, especially in their cities, to all be horrible racists, and china seems to be racist and unwelcoming even in the tier one cities.
Assuming you are Indian or look like one, then the general assumptions are:

1. Smell bad. No matter if you never do, you will always be thought of as being capable of blasting everyone's noses at any moment.
2. Rapist. No matter if you never do it, you will always be thought of as being capable of raping a local at any moment. If there's trouble, you'll be the first to get blamed.
3. Cheating. No matter if you never do it, you will always be thought of as being capable of lying and cheating in business/love at any moment.
4. Indian always. No matter if you're born and raised outside India and can't speak any Indian languages, you will always be thought of as being an Indian/Pakistani always and forever, and get all the hate for being one. Same applies to African-North Americans, who are just considered as Africans.
5. Lechers. Even if you never do it, it goes with the rape thing and they think you're just lustily staring. Mainly because the Indians that do come for business tend to unashamedly do this in full view of everyone else. I saw this every time when I went to Huaqiang Bei electronics market with my friend in Shenzhen.
6. Can't marry them. The few women that get the courage to date an Indian guy, find out at some point that he's going to marry whomever his parents pick out back home, so the relationship can't progress past a certain stage. This is a sad thing for them.
7. Again, the smell. Indians will never lose the stigma of stinking. Even if it's not body odor, it might also be the extreme amounts of cologne and deodorant to prevent the B.O.
8. Indian food tastes too strong. Chinese can't really handle chili even if they want to pretend they can. Many get scared of spices. Mainlanders brave enough to try Indian food get really upset about it. They love naan and banana rotis.
9. Cheap. Indians are known for not wanting to spend much when ordering, wanting to haggle every little thing, not trusting anyone or anything. This is actually a good habit in China, but it will piss certain people off quite a bit. They will lose face if this is done in certain ways, and that can negatively affect business, etc., and then it goes into a loop of trusting people less and haggling even more and then people losing more face.
10. Dirty. Chinese think India is a filthy awful place (so does most of the world), and they can't believe an Indian could ever learn to be clean.
11. Poor. Chinese think India is the land of poverty compared to China, and Indians are all poor even if they aren't.
12. Rivals. China and India have the two biggest populations in the world, and they have some border disputes. No matter what, Indians are rivals to them or even enemies.
13. Ancient and mysterious. Western countries also think this, but a lot of Chinese people think all Indians know some mysteries or yoga or something stupid, and know that at some point Buddhism came from there, but China made Buddhism even better and Chinese Buddhism is the best.
14. Harboring the enemy. Tibetans can flee into India for asylum. gently caress you, India and Indians!
15. Cannot speak English. Chinese, and it seems like most in Asia, cannot understand the Indian English accent or most of the words Indians say in English. They are not considered worthy English speakers at all and therefore are shunned for speaking English as unintelligible and not doing it properly. They know the British were in India, and are very disappointed Indians don't speak English like the English.
16. Everywhere. Indians are everywhere like Chinese are everywhere. This is funny to them.

Chinese do look down on Indians, it's a matter of fact. Being a great person while looking Indian will not make up for all the other Indians that are not good people, as well as the nationalism and hatred instilled in Mainlanders over political disputes. All Africans have AIDS and sell drugs, all Indians stink, lie, and rape. These are Chinese facts and you can't fight Chinese facts. You can represent yourself in all your best, but the average person the street will look at you and think you're not good.

I made friends with an Indian working in China, as well as his Chinese business partners. Their stories were wildly different, the Chinese having gone to India as well. The Indian guy kept to himself and seemed kind of paranoid about how he was viewed in China. At the same time, I saw he had a habit of hitting on practically every woman that was in his orbit, and trying to get their Wechats after 5-seconds of conversation which would cause them to run away. He met my friend (known in this thread as Chaoshan Girl) and tried to get her Wechat and she later told me "who does he think he is kidding with this excuse of doing business together?" His Chinese business partners were pretty cool, but one of them was really upset at her treatment by Indian men when trying to do business. She told me that she didn't realize that shaking their hands made some of them think they were going to get sex out of her, and regardless of business dealings they would send her lewd messages and try to treat her like she was a part-time prostitute. She said even business partners were sending dick pics.

Whenever I told a Chinese person I'd lived in India and go there from time to time, the first question was usually "why would you do that?" and then they would get upset about it like I had lost my drat mind. Almost 100% would ask if I was Indian or part-Indian, despite not looking Indian or being brown at all. They were so shocked about it that they would just assume the only thing that would bring there was that their eyes were playing jokes on them and I was actually an Indian in disguise.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Bajaj posted:

10. Dirty. Chinese think India is a filthy awful place (so does most of the world), and they can't believe an Indian could ever learn to be clean.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

quote:

He [the father] says that his son cannot yet urinate that high, he doesn't believe it, and his son won't admit it, says he didn't do it," a reporter tells the paper.
im dead

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

I feel sorry for Indians using Guangzhou airport, the auntie's there give them a seriously hard time, grilling them over passport details and making them basically strip naked for the X-ray machine.

Pro tip don't wait in line there if Indians are in front of you, change queue.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

coolusername posted:

So that's where it goes!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Kharnifex posted:

I feel sorry for Indians using Guangzhou airport, the auntie's there give them a seriously hard time, grilling them over passport details and making them basically strip naked for the X-ray machine.

Pro tip don't wait in line there if Indians are in front of you, change queue.

Man. That's already one of the worst airports in China, should be punishment enough.

Major airports anyway, god knows what's going on with some of those deep nowhere ones.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah, it's always a shock to find an airport you can smoke in, let alone 17usd milkshakes that give you diarrhea

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Kharnifex posted:

Yeah, it's always a shock to find an airport you can smoke in, let alone 17usd milkshakes that give you diarrhea

So far, I've eaten all sorts of wild poo poo (I don't know half of what goes into our shared pots) and in between the chicken feet, the mystery fungus and the weirdly placed eggs, the only thing that's gotten me foodsick?

A goddamn sandwich.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Did it at least make you akin to Gumby and Hercules combined?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
fyi everyone in this thread is a sexpat racist who is teaching English illegally

• Locked thread