Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Xenomrph posted:

The ones in Double Eagle came across to me as being WWII fighter sized.

I mean unless you’re making a distinction between atmospheric fighters and stuff that operates in a vacuum I guess.

I think the atmospheric stuff is normal sized with the ship-to-ship stuff being much larger on scale. The accounts of bombers in the Gothic setting is much closer to a contemporary super-jumbo jet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The biggest atmospheric bombers in the Imperial Navy are the Marauders, which are basically B-25 Mitchells crossed with a Lancaster.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
They are massively inconsistent with what flies where. The "frigates" at the start of First and Only appear to be WWII bomber sized with regular infantry guns on them, while the fighting around Sabbat Martyr has them flying Lightnings which are smaller than Thunderbolts even.

Then there's the fact that the Space Marine fleet fighters are explicitly Thunderhawks, and poo poo gets messy.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Are you referring to the Faustus Interceptor at the start of First and Only? That one struck me as a more specified ship designed to operate as a long range interceptor and recon craft, necessitating a much larger profile due to not operating from a carrier ship.
And lightnings are smaller than thunderbolts, though. They're the P-51 Mustang to the Thunderbolt's P-47... Thunderbolt.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yeah, but a long-range recon craft with it's own astropath on each of them. That's not a trivial allocation of resources for something protected only by heavy bolters. Early Abnett stuff was not quite as familiar with the universe as it could have been.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Aren't the smallest imperial starfighters the size of a 747 jumbo jet?

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Fury_Interceptor
These are the standard Imperial Navy void fighters.
Length stated at 40-70 meters which is a hell of a lot of variation.
Sadly there's very little written about the imperial navy, and all of it is old and highly inconsistent.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

Pyrolocutus posted:

There is, but I don't think it's been as heavily described as the ones that got it from the start (the ones direct from Cawl's labs). Nor has it really been mentioned in the context of existing characters.
Is there anything anywhere in fluff or codex to support this? I been searching since day one and can’t find it. This seems to come from a quote or Facebook comment by someone who may not know at GW during the primaris reveal festivities.

I wanna be wrong, but it seems that in universe there’s no reason to think you can biglyfye tiny marines.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Groetgaffel posted:

Sadly there's very little written about the imperial navy, and all of it is old and highly inconsistent.

This is the only 40k aviation movie I want to see...

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Dick Trauma posted:

Ron Perlman would make a good Ork Warboss.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Groetgaffel posted:

This is in places deliberate with the Imperial Navy. Every ship is a completely unique creation, but a class name is slapped on it based on its armament and performance. I'd imagine fighters are similar - analogous to, say, taking an F-22, a PAK-FA, a hypothetical comparable Russian fighter, and oh a Typhoon or something and saying that these basically act the same and carry the same weapons and equipment and have very similar performance, so gently caress it they're all the same class of interceptor.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Fighters likely get made by a forge world so its almost certain that there is a template they use.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Dick Trauma posted:

Aviation =! Space combat
:goonsay:

But yes, I would be down for a Deff Skwadron movie.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Telsa Cola posted:

Fighters likely get made by a forge world so its almost certain that there is a template they use.

Different forge worlds may have varying patterns then, which explains the variance.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
It's like you people talking about a live action 40k movie have never seen Damnatus or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYt3aFiheEI

Yes it has zero budget and it's entirely fans. And low resolution. But it's solid.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Given that it was given a C&D by GW's legal and it's in German... I'd guess most of us didn't even know it ever got released, let alone watched it.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

What happened to that CGI inquisitor movie? Did it get cease and desisted, too?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Dude canceled the project a couple weeks ago to focus on other non trademarked projects.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Arquinsiel posted:

Given that it was given a C&D by GW's legal and it's in German... I'd guess most of us didn't even know it ever got released, let alone watched it.

I fully admit the resolution being terrible and subtitles makes it hard for Ye Typical Olde English audience to chow down. Probably the same reason Energia's (the Iron Sky dudes) Star Wreck is still relatively unknown. Well that and the age.

My humble opinion is that it's worth it but of course YMMV.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Arcsquad12 posted:

Dude canceled the project a couple weeks ago to focus on other non trademarked projects.

That's a damned shame. They've put an awful lot of time into the art assets alone. Oh well, we still have Helsreach.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

DancingShade posted:

I fully admit the resolution being terrible and subtitles makes it hard for Ye Typical Olde English audience to chow down. Probably the same reason Energia's (the Iron Sky dudes) Star Wreck is still relatively unknown. Well that and the age.

My humble opinion is that it's worth it but of course YMMV.

Star Wreck is relatively well known here for what's basically a foreign language Scary Movie in spaaaaace.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Iron Sky is better known than Star Wreck. And it's soundtrack is amazing because Laibach is great.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I'm glad we started talking about this actually because I just realised Energia is making two more Star Wreck movies.

http://www.starwreck.com/wp/

I should probably shut up to avoid derailing too much.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I'm confused by all this talk of "A good 40k movie should focus on the regular humans". They've already made one like that. Event Horizon shows exactly what happens when regular humans touch something possessed by a daemon/Chaos.

But in all honesty, I think the best route to go would be self-contained mini-series that focus on different aspects of the setting. Like American Horror Story but for 40k. One season could follow a squad of guardsmen, then maybe one with the Arbites to show hive-world life, the next follows an Inquistior's team, follow with Space Marines, ect. Do it properly and you can even have the stories lead into each other (Something befalls the squad from the first season while they're on leave, the arbites investigate and realize they're in over their head and call in the inquisitors, the inquisitors decide to escalate matters by calling in the space marines to clear out the chaos cult/genestealer cult/awakening tombworld/... following the greater good?).

The problem with movies is that you only have 2-3 hours to work with, and there's a lot of setting information to cram into that timespan to bring people who aren't familiar with it up to speed.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
That's why you really ramp up the dogmatic obedience / oppressive nature of everything without stopping to explain anything whatsoever. Let the audience either figure it out or stay guessing.

Nobody needs to know why Mega City One is such a poo poo hole other than "there were some wars and it's overpopulated". Same with [hive city].

How did the world of Terry Nation's Brazil get that bad? Nobody knows and it doesn't matter. A good narrative doesn't rely on it.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
If a properly budgeted 40k movie ever gets off the ground there's no way in hell it won't focus a great deal, if not mostly, on space marines. The fans will riot otherwise. Only when you get that out of their system can you start going in other directions.

If we're talking about TV then the best budget to scope ratio would the Ordo Hereticus. They mostly deal with humans so that should keep the CGI costs manageable while maintaining the possibility to explore many different parts of the universe as an inquisitor's freedom can put them in many different places and situations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

DancingShade posted:

That's why you really ramp up the dogmatic obedience / oppressive nature of everything without stopping to explain anything whatsoever. Let the audience either figure it out or stay guessing.

Nobody needs to know why Mega City One is such a poo poo hole other than "there were some wars and it's overpopulated". Same with [hive city].

How did the world of Terry Nation's Brazil get that bad? Nobody knows and it doesn't matter. A good narrative doesn't rely on it.

I think the fact I find all of the "Uber-Dystopian Bureaucratic Hell State" stuff from Brazil way more interesting than the love story/dream sequences says a lot about me, and none of it good.

:ohdear:

I'd really really like to see Eisenhorn get a faithful-to-text adaptation but it'll never happen.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Feb 27, 2018

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Schadenboner posted:

I'd really really like to see Eisenhorn get a faithful-to-text adaptation but it'll never happen.

:same:

:smith:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Senjuro posted:

If a properly budgeted 40k movie ever gets off the ground there's no way in hell it won't focus a great deal, if not mostly, on space marines. The fans will riot otherwise. Only when you get that out of their system can you start going in other directions.

If we're talking about TV then the best budget to scope ratio would the Ordo Hereticus. They mostly deal with humans so that should keep the CGI costs manageable while maintaining the possibility to explore many different parts of the universe as an inquisitor's freedom can put them in many different places and situations.

Problem is, the space marines are the most boring part of the setting.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
They're also really boring and hard to characterize/do well without either being in their head a-la text or doing a bunch of exposition. I think Space Marines should be the deus ex machina of the story and the money shot at the end. Maybe tease em in the beginning but just my opinion

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Waroduce posted:

They're also really boring and hard to characterize/do well without either being in their head a-la text or doing a bunch of exposition. I think Space Marines should be the deus ex machina of the story and the money shot at the end. Maybe tease em in the beginning but just my opinion

Space Marine centric stories also tend to suffer badly from a lack of compelling women characters when they have women at all, which would be an issue in a hypothetical movie.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yeah but good luck adapting Betrayer

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Cythereal posted:

Space Marine centric stories also tend to suffer badly from a lack of compelling women characters when they have women at all, which would be an issue in a hypothetical movie.

Just give me a movie of the world eaters flagship captain being a huge badass. Her response to angron becoming a demon being just to jettison him out to space was great.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Arcsquad12 posted:

My pick for a 30k novel to adapt would probably be A Thousand Sons, actually. Bonus points for the lesbian remembrancer saving the day for the good guys at the end through the power of love.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Cythereal posted:

Problem is, the space marines are the most boring part of the setting.

Doesn't matter. They're by far the most prominent and popular part of 40k. Any movie where they don't get a lot of screen time is going to draw lots of complaints.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

Tight focus shot of a effete, highly refined Terran remembrancer's face for 90 minutes as his/her expression changes in reaction to the wholesale butchery and insanity going on around them. Occasionally show glimpses of dirty white and blue battleplate looming over his shoulder, maybe a chain axe resting on the same as guttural voices hoot in from out of frame. Space battles can have the focus cowering in their cabin while an inter-room vox gives a play-by-play from the bridge and everything shakes around them.
Graphic sound effects at all points. Maybe a Tarantino-esque conversation between the Remembrancer and Lotara at some part, with sharp cuts between their faces and a high pitched whine in the background.
The only explicit scene not focused on the subject would be the Angron reveal in the end, which would basically ape the Cloverfield reveal.

Hell you probably can do this with a budget of $50,000.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Immanentized posted:

Tight focus shot of a effete, highly refined Terran remembrancer's face for 90 minutes as his/her expression changes in reaction to the wholesale butchery and insanity going on around them. Occasionally show glimpses of dirty white and blue battleplate looming over his shoulder, maybe a chain axe resting on the same as guttural voices hoot in from out of frame. Space battles can have the focus cowering in their cabin while an inter-room vox gives a play-by-play from the bridge and everything shakes around them.
Graphic sound effects at all points. Maybe a Tarantino-esque conversation between the Remembrancer and Lotara at some part, with sharp cuts between their faces and a high pitched whine in the background.
The only explicit scene not focused on the subject would be the Angron reveal in the end, which would basically ape the Cloverfield reveal.

Hell you probably can do this with a budget of $50,000.

Very Warhol's Blow Job.

:golfclap:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Senjuro posted:

Doesn't matter. They're by far the most prominent and popular part of 40k. Any movie where they don't get a lot of screen time is going to draw lots of complaints.

Complaints from a vocal minority that doesn’t understand good storytelling, and should be rightly ignored.
Fans are dumb, catering strictly to the fans rarely works well unless there’s inherent mass-market appeal in doing so (Deadpool, Dredd). Catering “to the fans” can sometimes result in a legit great movie (Blade Runner 2049) but that doesn’t guarantee box office returns. The fans make you some box office money, but the real dollars come from literally everyone else.

I’d much rather see a well made movie with interesting characters and good writing, that respects the source material enough to recognize its storytelling limitations. Starting with Space Marines would get the fans onboard, sure, but they were already onboard to begin with and were going to buy tickets no matter what the movie ended up being, and will buy tickets for the sequel even if they vehemently hated the first one because that’s what fans do. They don’t need to be catered to.

Zasze posted:

Just give me a movie of the world eaters flagship captain being a huge badass. Her response to angron becoming a demon being just to jettison him out to space was great.

What is this from?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Xenomrph posted:

What is this from?

Betrayer. During the Crusade and the Heresy, the captain of Angron's flagship is a woman who shoots a World Eaters captain in the face and is buddies with Kharn.

She's also the only female character in that book.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Lotara is secretly the best 40k character

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

You can make a good movie based on Space Marines, while giving enough background on the setting without distracting from the main story like a lot of fan efforts do.

For example, Helsreach.

Just adapt what Richard Boylan is doing into a movie.

The Iron Rose posted:

Lotara is secretly the best 40k character