Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Mustached Demon posted:

Doesn't that only apply if you're white?

No?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Humphreys posted:

I pay $960 a month for a nice big old house on a well maintained street with all the stores I need and 5 minutes straight drive through the city with no tolls and minimal traffic lights to my workplace. It's great! Even the local hoons and theives go and raid a nearby suburb instead of hitting us.

Except the killzone radius

Living in East Kookaburra surrounded by capsicum plantations and jaffle shops doesn’t count, we’re talking about the developed world.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Mustached Demon posted:

Doesn't that only apply if you're white?

The vast majority of people under the poverty line (and who are minorities for that matter) live in the South. Gentrification in cities isn't as crazy, taxes are lower, etc. The North is rich white people land in comparison.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Feb 27, 2018

ijzer
Apr 12, 2013

it's friday i'm in love with ice cream
idk about california in general but people from san francisco are definitely yankees. they dumb as hell too and keep driving up housing prices because they don't know how much things are supposed to cost when you aren't trapped in a lovely bay.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Edit: eh I changed my mind not going there.

Mustached Demon fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Feb 27, 2018

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

shame on an IGA posted:

The phantom pooper at my workplace in the carolinas has hit our recycling bins 4 times this year

You're in the Lowcountry, aren't you?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

^pee dee

Wasabi the J posted:

Wait Everytime I imagine goons at work it's an IT nerd in a corporate environment, so I'm kinda imagining a hosed up episode of the office right now.

nah car parts factory

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Feb 27, 2018

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

Perestroika posted:

https://i.imgur.com/hIKUlof.mp4

Okay, I get that you could probably sync up those rotors to the point where there's minimal risk of spontaneous disintegration, but still... why even risk it?

i mean you could, but why? you some kinda pussy?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

ijzer posted:

idk about california in general but people from san francisco are definitely yankees. they dumb as hell too and keep driving up housing prices because they don't know how much things are supposed to cost when you aren't trapped in a lovely bay.

Trapped in a lovely bay?

I don't think you have any idea what you are talking about.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Cable Guy posted:

Just getting back to choppers for a tic, ask an Australian what a Erickson S-64 Skycrane and most would have no idea. Ask them what Elvis is, and you'd get a good number saying helicopter.

I love how a lot of them have sweet feminine names and then there's ..... well, see if you can spot the odd one out:

Millie, Georgia Peach, Isabelle, Gypsy Lady, Elsie, Shania, Incredible Hulk, Christine, Delilah.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I love how a lot of them have sweet feminine names and then there's ..... well, see if you can spot the odd one out:

Millie, Georgia Peach, Isabelle, Gypsy Lady, Elsie, Shania, Incredible Hulk, Christine, Delilah.

I can't stand Delilah

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The Bloop posted:

I can't stand Delilah

I could see that helo was no good for me

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/K2QLmtJ.mp4

does murder fall under the purview of osha

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

That drat Satyr posted:

Oh you sweet summer child. Here in the bumfuck of the Carolina mountains we have a $300/mo mortgage on a quite nice 3br 2.5 bath house with over two acres of land that borders directly with national forest.

The south is poo poo, but god it's cheap to live here. It's great if you have any kind of job that let's you remote in or work from home.

The hell can you use half a bath for??

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Kith posted:

does murder fall under the purview of osha

It probably does in John Wick

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ak Gara posted:

It's probably a "water closet" with just a toilet and sink.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Ak Gara posted:

It’s a bathroom with a toilet and maybe a shower stall depending on definitions, unless you’re making a semantic joke in which case woosh

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

The only way to defeat Optimus Prime's vampire form

:five:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Obviously it's a work of the Minnesota Shrike

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Perestroika posted:

Okay, I get that you could probably sync up those rotors to the point where there's minimal risk of spontaneous disintegration, but still... why even risk it?
Is this question serious? I have no clue about helicopters, but even if there isn't connecting gear between the spin-things, it's trivial to control the sync with electronics and sensors and stuff.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Yeah I’m gonna trust that function to software and not a mechanical control.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Yeah and since you'd still need mechanics anyway since sensors and electronics can't actually do anything, why not just make the mechanics such that they handle it all and ditch the electronics.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

Jerry Cotton posted:

Yeah and since you'd still need mechanics anyway since sensors and electronics can't actually do anything, why not just make the mechanics such that they handle it all and ditch the electronics.

But then how will you connect it to the IoT so I can control it via an app on my phone?

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Yeah gently caress that poo poo with like uhhhh 10k signals per second i want mechanical too! It's more better. If our computers were mechanical, we wouldn't have fake news!

....Sorry what's your point?

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RabbitWizard posted:

Yeah gently caress that poo poo with like uhhhh 10k signals per second i want mechanical too! It's more better. If our computers were mechanical, we wouldn't have fake news!

....Sorry what's your point?

:psyduck:

Anyway:

ekuNNN fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Feb 27, 2018

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
Idk I'll go to bed...

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Perestroika posted:

https://i.imgur.com/hIKUlof.mp4

Two gears intermeshing is about as simple as mechanical stuff gets, it's really not any worse than any other kind of helicopter.

In osha news my colleague was telling me about capacitors with such low leakage and high capacity that they can kill you without ever being deliberately charged. They charge themselves via static electricity and then kill you when you get them out of storage, never used. poo poo is nuts.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Splode posted:

In osha news my colleague was telling me about capacitors with such low leakage and high capacity that they can kill you without ever being deliberately charged. They charge themselves via static electricity and then kill you when you get them out of storage, never used. poo poo is nuts.

Ya, that's true of capacitors used on utility power lines. They have a built in shunt that's supposed to discharge them to "less than x volts in y minutes" but nobody trusts that and company rules usually provide that they be externally shorted to prevent a buildup of capacitance charge (edit - while in storage).

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Feb 27, 2018

Sound Mr. Brown
Feb 21, 2005

The love of learning, the sequestered nooks,
And all the sweet serenity of books.
As someone who doesn't know anything about electricity, how are those not a source of free electricity?

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

probably cause they're too expensive per kilowatt hour

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That seems like a pretty hard impact to not have airbags.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Sound Mr. Brown posted:

As someone who doesn't know anything about electricity, how are those not a source of free electricity?

It's called dielectric absorbtion/relaxation.

If you just make a capacitor and leave it sitting around, it's never going to just develop a charge.

A capacitor stores energy in the form of potential energy of an electric field. You charge it, it develops a charge on one plate relative to the other. In a perfect capacitor, that's all you'd have, but there are no perfect capacitors. In a real capacitor, the molecules in the dielectric have some dipole moment and some energy is wasted as those dipoles align with the electric field. When you discharge the capacitor, the electric field can drop to zero but some of those dipoles are still aligned with where the field used to be. Eventually, they'll relax into their previous random orientations, but in doing so they generate a little bit of charge on the capacitor. Basically you can think of a cap as not purely a cap, but a cap with a little battery in it. Charge the cap, you also charge the battery. Discharge of the cap happens, and then the battery discharges by putting a little charge back onto the cap.

So it's not free electricity, because you're just getting back some of the energy you put into the thing in the first place, energy that did not go into the electric field but went into moving molecular dipoles around. Ideally, that wouldn't happen, and all the energy you put in would go into the field and come out when you wanted it to.

It's not like it's going to charge the cap back up to full voltage; for most capacitors you're talking about maybe 1-2% of the capacitor's rating. For big electrolytics, it can be considerably higher than that so you need to keep them shorted for safety's sake.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Sound Mr. Brown posted:

As with most things that are free, it doesn't do much work.

Cheap, efficient, works well. Pick any 2. This applies to tools, cars, people, energy storage, economic systems...

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sound Mr. Brown posted:

These are really expensive capacitors, charged over long periods of time, and even then, the absolute energy they contain isn’t immense. Nine‐volt batteries can kill under the right conditions, and they don’t contain a great deal of energy either.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

Sound Mr. Brown posted:

Nothings free in life

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Phanatic posted:

It's called dielectric absorbtion/relaxation.

If you just make a capacitor and leave it sitting around, it's never going to just develop a charge.

A capacitor stores energy in the form of potential energy of an electric field. You charge it, it develops a charge on one plate relative to the other. In a perfect capacitor, that's all you'd have, but there are no perfect capacitors. In a real capacitor, the molecules in the dielectric have some dipole moment and some energy is wasted as those dipoles align with the electric field. When you discharge the capacitor, the electric field can drop to zero but some of those dipoles are still aligned with where the field used to be. Eventually, they'll relax into their previous random orientations, but in doing so they generate a little bit of charge on the capacitor. Basically you can think of a cap as not purely a cap, but a cap with a little battery in it. Charge the cap, you also charge the battery. Discharge of the cap happens, and then the battery discharges by putting a little charge back onto the cap.

So it's not free electricity, because you're just getting back some of the energy you put into the thing in the first place, energy that did not go into the electric field but went into moving molecular dipoles around. Ideally, that wouldn't happen, and all the energy you put in would go into the field and come out when you wanted it to.

It's not like it's going to charge the cap back up to full voltage; for most capacitors you're talking about maybe 1-2% of the capacitor's rating. For big electrolytics, it can be considerably higher than that so you need to keep them shorted for safety's sake.

So basically, just being in the presence of any/many electromagnetic fields can give a capacitor a minute charge, like 1 or 2%, but we're talking 1 or 2% of 10k volts or something, so it's "accidentally making a taser" of a capacitor that's sitting on the shelf doing nothing?
:aaa:

Sound Mr. Brown
Feb 21, 2005

The love of learning, the sequestered nooks,
And all the sweet serenity of books.
Interesting answers, thank you! :)

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Mistle posted:

So basically, just being in the presence of any/many electromagnetic fields can give a capacitor a minute charge, like 1 or 2%, but we're talking 1 or 2% of 10k volts or something, so it's "accidentally making a taser" of a capacitor that's sitting on the shelf doing nothing?
:aaa:

It's not being in the presence of a field, it's that you charged it up and some of the energy of charging *didn't* go into creating an electric field, it went into potential energy of the molecules in the dielectric. Then when you discharge it, the energy that was in the field goes to zero, but the potential energy stored in the dielectric slowly bleeds off, winding up back in the electric field, so it doesn't *stay* at zero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Warbadger posted:

The vast majority of people under the poverty line (and who are minorities for that matter) live in the South. Gentrification in cities isn't as crazy, taxes are lower, etc. The North is rich white people land in comparison.

You've never been anywhere near a northern city have you.