Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
I'm at A6 right now and one of the hardest habits to change for me is to start avoiding almost all elites unless my deck is amazing and there is a campfire right by it. Playing on normal I would hit all them, but level 1 elites especially are just too risky. Especially lagavulin. gently caress him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Silent can be very strong, but he can also be hard countered. I had an amazing deck last night, but it relied on cycling through my deck every turn and I ran into the Time Lord as the main boss. I just couldn't quite get him. I am on ascension 7 with ironclad and only ascension 4 with silent but I also play ironclad a lot more so I'm not sure I'd say the silent is straight up underpowered.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

If you think Silent is Underpowered and bad, try the 1 relic achievement.

It's actually the Ironclad that needs more support because the cards suck more, the Silent has a much easier time building a solid deck. 2 energy bombs are only good alone, but work wonders when paired with 0 energy cards.

Jedit posted:

It's a major pain, but if you've built towards an exhaust combo the Chosen actually helps you.

I'm not getting how people do Ascension with Silent. Normal mode I win far more often with Silent than Ironclad, but I did A1 on Ironclad first time and only got to the last boss with Silent once in six tries. What should be a tiny step in difficulty has turned into a complete breaker.

I got stuck at like A7 until I happened to catch a Hafu stream where she worked through A11+. Taught me how to re-evaluate cards to actually build a deck rather than a pile of goodish cards, and to play more aggressively when needed.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

A lot of Silent's cards are just too narrow, and the ones that are generally useful aren't really win conditions. Accuracy is like the prime example of this, which is useless unless you're doing shivs, but it's not really strong enough to pull you towards doing shivs, either. Compare it to something like Inflame, where most decks are probably pretty happy about like, 2-3 Str. Even though it gives less of a numerical boost, it's just way more universally applicable, not to mention opening up opportunities for Limit Break and such. Catalyst and Corpse Explosion are really good cards in a poison deck, but are entirely useless outside of that one specific deck, although this is probably equivalent to something like Corruption (arguably) or that one that gives you block for exhausting. Ditto the various "effect on discard" cards, which are GREAT if you have a lot of Acrobatics and Dagger Throws and Calculated Gambles and especially Tools of the Trade, but can end up just being dead in the wrong type of deck.

It also doesn't help that Silent starts with a fatter deck and a worse relic and less health for some reason.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

A Moose posted:

Miasma+ is incredibly strong,

:confused:

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

GrandpaPants posted:

A lot of Silent's cards are just too narrow, and the ones that are generally useful aren't really win conditions. Accuracy is like the prime example of this, which is useless unless you're doing shivs, but it's not really strong enough to pull you towards doing shivs, either. Compare it to something like Inflame, where most decks are probably pretty happy about like, 2-3 Str. Even though it gives less of a numerical boost, it's just way more universally applicable, not to mention opening up opportunities for Limit Break and such. Catalyst and Corpse Explosion are really good cards in a poison deck, but are entirely useless outside of that one specific deck, although this is probably equivalent to something like Corruption (arguably) or that one that gives you block for exhausting. Ditto the various "effect on discard" cards, which are GREAT if you have a lot of Acrobatics and Dagger Throws and Calculated Gambles and especially Tools of the Trade, but can end up just being dead in the wrong type of deck.

It also doesn't help that Silent starts with a fatter deck and a worse relic and less health for some reason.

Accuracy is amazing and is totally worth trying to build a shiv deck around if you can get a couple of them. I managed to snag 3 last night and 4 cloak and daggers and it's quite easy to just roll through enemies when you get armor AND 19 damage 0 cost attack cards.

Many of my wins as silent has been from that combo actually. Cloak and Daggers, blurs, back flips and a couple of Accuracy.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
did some cards get nerfed recently? I played this a lot before monster hunter came out and now am coming back to it and it feel like I suddenly suck rear end at this game. I used to regularly at least make it to the A3 boss but frequently stall out in A2 now.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Impermanent posted:

did some cards get nerfed recently? I played this a lot before monster hunter came out and now am coming back to it and it feel like I suddenly suck rear end at this game. I used to regularly at least make it to the A3 boss but frequently stall out in A2 now.

No.

O. Henry O-Face
Sep 16, 2009

Most likely malaise+

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde
I think I have a higher winrate with silent than ironclad. Neutralize+ is such a great card and silent has great standalone 2 drops at uncommon as well as some strong powers.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

O. Henry O-Face posted:

Most likely malaise+

Oh yeah, that's the card. Thanks!

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
Getting away from the noob trap of always picking up cards completely changed the way I'm playing this. After my first win last night, I watched a couple of youtube runs and holy hell was I playing this game wrong.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
The nice thing about the Shiv cards is that you don't need Accuracy for them to be useful. The Silent has a lot of cards which reward you for playing many cards on one turn, and all the cards that give you Shivs work well with them.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
Finally won a Snecko Eye run with Silent earlier. Really didn't expect to make it to level 3, let alone beating the final boss, with a weird deck build like this. Would love a guaranteed Snecko/Pandora's starting option.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Fuuuuuck yoooooou

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

This exhaust deck is great but very mentally taxing to play. I got Ori from Neow and Ice Cream from a Floor 2 question mark room, then frozen eye from the first elite, then picked Havoc, Rampage, Havoc from my next 3 fights. Even without any real exhaust synergy besides Dark Embrace, Havoc with Eye is such a potent combo on its own that it can carry a deck.

The hard part is trying to map out turns using Frozen Eye in combination with Dark Embrace, Evolve, and Havoc to draw what I want, havoc what I want, and generally keep Rampage ticking up each shuffle. I feel like I didn't even pilot the deck that well and I still absolutely crushed the Awakened One. I'm pretty sure there's an infinite combo in here with Dropkick and Sundial, but I never got around to realizing it.

I've been playing mostly Silent lately and going from my typical Silent decks to this with only 2 card picks that give block, one of them exhausting itself, is hilarious to me.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I hate bash, it's such a poo poo card that you either have to remove or mandatory upgrade, I want it OUT of my deck

uppercut is ok

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
uppercut is Good. Weak is tremendously better than Vulnerable

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Impermanent posted:

uppercut is Good. Weak is tremendously better than Vulnerable

Dead is usually the best status effect and Vuln helps get there faster.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Bhodi posted:

I hate bash, it's such a poo poo card that you either have to remove or mandatory upgrade, I want it OUT of my deck

uppercut is ok

It's much worse than neutralize, that's for sure.

The alternative post here is

I hate ring of the snake, it's such a poo poo relic that it's basically a mandatory swap with the whale. I want it OUT of my run.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Chin Strap posted:

I'm at A6 right now and one of the hardest habits to change for me is to start avoiding almost all elites unless my deck is amazing and there is a campfire right by it. Playing on normal I would hit all them, but level 1 elites especially are just too risky. Especially lagavulin. gently caress him.

Lagavulin would be more tolerable if he didn't do the -1dex/str debuff

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

What the... Lagavuln is easy, just hit it.

Use the free 3 turns of nothing to get a good head start. Like you start the fight all Power'd up and/or stacking weak/vulnerable on it, it's way more lenient than the standard big angry Goblin guy that hates Skills.

edit: I guess I'll explain the mechanic: For your first two turns it remains asleep as long as it suffers no HP loss. Armor loss is fine. So if your opening hand is 3x Strike 2x Defend, you cast nothing and hit End Turn so you can cast better stuff for free in your next one or two draws. The fight it much easier when you have 15 draws worth of getting the best head start.

AnacondaHL fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Feb 27, 2018

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Lagavulin eats you if you don't have any strong high damage attacks or poison, but it's pretty easy for most decks yeah.

If you don't have any good cards at all in your deck, you should avoid fighting elites anyway.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
I'm stuck on A8 with silent atm - I just keep stalling out in act 2 and getting slammed.

And yeah you win Vs lagavulin if you have a bunch of powers or dashes, and you take a huge amount of damage if you don't. Stuff like predator isn't enough because you cannot deal with the incoming damage.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

the issue with silent is the lack of healing imo. think about the amount of hp you passively heal as ironclad over the course of a run, let alone the amount you make up through feed/reaper. because taking damage isn’t so much of an issue as ironclad, you can afford to play aggressively and play that key card even if you take some damage. as silent, you’re relying on relics, lovely bites, events or rests to heal, which means you have to play a lot more conservatively and get your block up even if it means missing a chance to play that great card.

it doesn’t help that ironclad has some fantastic cards for building block (corruption making skills free, entrench, barricade, and to top it off, body slam can turn defence into offence), while silent has strong cards but not enough synergies.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
I feel like silent has better cards but lower average card quality. So if you do manage to stitch up a great combo silent owns, but it's harder to be consistently successful, particularly once you start runs with damage.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I blame body slam, its such a perfect "I can survive and do damage for free" card that even scales well.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
body slam and shrug it off are two cards that I will never pass up and will have as many of them in the deck as I can get my hands on. Mayyyybe I'd stop at 3 body slams if I couldn't upgrade them... maybe.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Short of Quadruple Body Slam this is the most ridiculous deck I've ever built. Snecko is such a good relic to get in the opening trade. Act 3 didn't even stand a chance.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

i don’t know what the release cycle was like for this game but it feels like they gave the ironclad a bunch of interesting cards that can synergies in unexpected and powerful ways, and silent got second best.

think of all the ways ironclad has to raise “his” skill, strength - he can use inflame and limit break, he can take demon form, he can spot weakness, he can use the power that gives strength when a card causes damage. those all synergise with heavy strike (or whatever the 5x strength scale card is) in addition to buffing all the rest of his attacks. compare that to silent and dexterity - she gets footwork which is just +3 dex. cool

think of all the exhaust cards ironclad gets and how they interact in interesting ways - true grit, havoc, fiend fire etc. silent on the other hand gets discard tools, which are nice, but apart from the 3 discard-for-bonus cards they all require relics to get their full utility. contrast that with ironclad, where corruption, feel no pain and dark embrace make exhausts useful, with relics like dead branch adding even more.

silent is just more boring than the ironclad and she suffers from it.

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Snecko eye is motherfuckin ridiculous and you don’t even need high cost cards for it to be so. Get a fistful of draw and you’re bound to get enough value regardless. Got it as a start relic swap for my silent A8 run last night and it totally carried the whole run. Paired great with bullet time since it usually meant more energy for draw before bullet timing and popping off, actually had a runic dodecahedron active for almost the whole game, I barely got scratched

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.
I just found out that the ancient potion works to keep the flex effect from wearing off.

Its now my new favorite potion.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Just beat Time Eater with a shiv deck on Ascension 2. I wouldn't have figured such a thing was possible. Shuriken and Pen Nib went a long way to hitting him hard enough to not get overwhelmed.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
This was an extremely fun deck. Snecko eye from whale because silents starter relic sucks. Then being able to make 0 cost copies of your Nightmares with other Nightmares equals hilarity. Made many copies of 0 energy Predators for mass damage and card draw. The RNG on the 3rd act meant I wasn't able to get many elites, sadly.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Tofu Injection posted:

I just found out that the ancient potion works to keep the flex effect from wearing off.

I like that you can use Limit Break while Flex is active and end up with a net permanent strength gain.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Tofu Injection posted:

I found out about this on accident, because I'd keep seeing the Artifact effect burn itself right as I threw it out to block something, and after like the third time I noticed that I'd still have my strength kicking around. I thought it was a stealth nerf to that potion, too. It makes Panacea a surprising and odd synergy card for a strength farming build.

Also this was a completely stupid block build that steamrolled as Silent. Turns out Thread and Needle, Paper Krane, and Anchor makes you pretty much untouchable and Bronze Scales and three copies of Caltrops+ means enemies just bounce harmlessly off of you. If I had been thinking I would have farmed the "Come At Me" achievement but I was having too much fun with this run. Time Eater hurt himself for 54 damage each turn and never even scratched my HP.

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Feb 28, 2018

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

:woop: After some close calls with some +1 Energy/Snecko decks, and a weird run that I almost got with just the healing feather, I finally managed the 1 Relic achievement in an unexpected way:

Yea that's right: a near-fully upgraded Flechettes deck using the crappy non-discard relic. Hidden MVP was the late Purity I nabbed in Act III which let me effectively run a 13 card deck and a 10 card hand, with infinite Blur block even though there's only 1 copy. Final boss was Time Eater who got perfect'd.

If you've finished your Ascension runs I highly recommend this achievement, it's a ton of fun and really makes you think about the game in yet another way.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
congrats on the 1 relic achievement

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I feel like silent has better cards but lower average card quality. So if you do manage to stitch up a great combo silent owns, but it's harder to be consistently successful, particularly once you start runs with damage.

It has better single cards but worse synergy. Combos are a trap for the silent and my most successful runs have been just chasing powerful cards like Backflips and Blurs and Fumes.

On the other hand, so many of Ironclad's cards are kind of "bleh" in a vacuum but become godlike with just one single other card or relic (Corruption with Feel No Pain or Dead Branch, Metallicize with Barricade or Dual Wield, Heavy Strike and Reaper with Limit Break) so there's a lot more potential of making a deck built around a single strong synergy instead of just picking What Seems Good.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Feb 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Back to my first style of win with the Perfected Strikes. Paid 7 Max HP to get 250 gold, First combat Perfected Strike, first shop Molten Egg and it just snowballed from there. This was my fastest run ever, and I actually did a lot of manipulating of the deck, sometimes through the Pipe but mostly through shops (Smiling Mask was too late to help though). I had 2 True Grit+s for awhile to keep my defense up, but I slowly cycled them out as I went forward. The Feed on boss 1 got a lot of value due to me drawing it pretty luckily through Acts 2 and 3, including stuff like Feeding on the Nemesis, and the Molten Egg meant that all those Twin Strikes and Perfected Strikes came into my deck upgraded, which was huge. By the time I hit Act 3 I had basically no defense, but I was one shotting just about everything, since my Perfected Strikes were at 51 damage, and the fact I was basically completely upgraded card-wise meant that I could use every campfire for resting or card removal.

if I had been smarter I could have gotten that 'kill Donu with a Feed' achievement but I burnt it for damage in round one instead. For that boss I actually went after Deca first; I figured that since I had no defense anyway, he was more dangerous since he attacked more often.

The new Eggs are just loving crazy good, I love them.