Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

HELLBITCH posted:

He said to tell you to go shine your Combat Action Badge and make sure the AC is working

:agreed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Don't go 18x go 11x with the ranger option that way if you fail you'll still be airborne infantry and will still get blown up.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Worked with a guy who said he joined, because his family wouldn't respect him if he didn't do a tour in the Army. I asked if they'd be upset that he was getting out after serving his minimum term, and he said they also wouldn't respect him if he stayed in past getting college paid for. I think that family had something figured out. Shame kids into getting free college through service, mostly O's, then immediately get the gently caress out of the military forever.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
You're literally trying to get a job where "death" is a reasonable occupational hazard, and you're almost guaranteed to have hosed joints and spine before you're old enough to run for President. So your family members will respect you.

I'll say it again: gently caress THEM.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Do what mommy and daddy say, grown adult. If you ever get married make sure you let your spouse know that you still bend to mommy and daddy’s will and poo poo talking peer pressure.

HELLBITCH
Sep 15, 2017

bad at posting
Thank you all for your kind hearted and thoughtful advice, I will continue listening to the bullshit the recruiters tell me and take this one step at a time

Oh and Mustang's height probably starts with five, later

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

This is obviously some sort of long con troll attempt.

HELLBITCH
Sep 15, 2017

bad at posting

DoktorLoken posted:

This is obviously some sort of long con troll attempt.

It's true, I'm trolling myself and enlisting

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

It would be highly amusing if he got assigned to Mustangs unit and somehow it slips out that he has stairs in his house.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

HELLBITCH posted:

It's true, I'm trolling myself and enlisting

If that's true enlist 11x for 6 years with no bonus. No balls.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I know most well adjusted parents say their kids are only redeemed with military service. Your dad sounds like a happy guy who got what he wanted out of the military and is happy.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
After you enlist, let your 21yo platoon leader know how much tougher you are and how you are the ultimate winner with third of his pay and controlled life.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Jesus gently caress, dude. Don't enlist. Finish your degree, even if it means going through the pain in the rear end process of transferring elsewhere, then enjoy life as a normal human being instead of hating life as an enlisted idiot. Disregard your family trying to push you into enlisting; they're loving idiots. Not only will enlisting not help with your sadbrains, it will just make it worse when you inevitably start asking yourself, "how the gently caress did I end up here?"

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

You know how you can walk up stairs and your knees aren't screaming by the time you get to the next floor? Enjoy that.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Godholio posted:

You know how you can walk up stairs and your knees aren't screaming by the time you get to the next floor? Enjoy that.

I like the shoulder that goes pop and stings or the whole arm going numb after moving poo poo part myself.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Steezo posted:

I like the shoulder that goes pop and stings or the whole arm going numb after moving poo poo part myself.

:whatup:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

You get a new one of these with each chevron.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Hey so a question for anyone that's been married and AD before, because I'm not sure what the right answer is...

My home of record: Arizona.

Her birth place and home of record when we married: Massachusetts

Where we currently live, due to PCS: Massachusetts

Where she works: Massachusetts

Does she keep her Mass license, or does she need to get one from Arizona?

As far as taxes are concerned, would she just be a non-resident in Massachusetts and maybe have to pay Arizona state income taxes? I'm exempt from Arizona taxes due to being active duty-not sure if it is the same for her.

We will only be here for another year, and then off to another state which won't be Arizona or Massachusetts, so I'm sure the fun will continue. I believe under the Military Spouses Residency Relief Act, that she can become a resident of Arizona-just not entirely sure if she has to or can maintain Massachusetts if she chooses.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Edit: whoops thought this was the idiot thread.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Dick Burglar posted:

Edit: whoops thought this was the idiot thread.

We are all idiots friend.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

nwin posted:

Hey so a question for anyone that's been married and AD before, because I'm not sure what the right answer is...

My home of record: Arizona.

Her birth place and home of record when we married: Massachusetts

Where we currently live, due to PCS: Massachusetts

Where she works: Massachusetts

Does she keep her Mass license, or does she need to get one from Arizona?

As far as taxes are concerned, would she just be a non-resident in Massachusetts and maybe have to pay Arizona state income taxes? I'm exempt from Arizona taxes due to being active duty-not sure if it is the same for her.

We will only be here for another year, and then off to another state which won't be Arizona or Massachusetts, so I'm sure the fun will continue. I believe under the Military Spouses Residency Relief Act, that she can become a resident of Arizona-just not entirely sure if she has to or can maintain Massachusetts if she chooses.

You can basically do whatever you want. On AD, you (the royal you, meaning both) can choose to change residency to the state you're stationed in, but if you're on orders to be there you don't HAVE to. You can't do both, however. Whichever state you're a resident of, you have to follow their tax law. Example: my home of record was in Utah, and at the time I joined there was no clause releasing me from paying state taxes even though I was stationed in Florida, because I was still a Utah resident (that has since changed). Once I found THAT out (the hard way) I changed to a local/Florida resident (no income tax). When I PCSed to Oklahoma, I maintained my Florida residency; had I changed to OK I'd have been subject to OK's income tax.

Her home of record is pretty much irrelevant to the military. Yours is the only one that matters, and really it only matters at separation, when you get a final PCS up to the cost of going to your home of record.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Godholio posted:

Her home of record is pretty much irrelevant to the military.

Not when tax time rolls around!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

boop the snoot posted:

Not when tax time rolls around!

False. Your state residency is what matters, not your home of record. They start off the same, but changing residency is easy.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Godholio posted:

False. Your state residency is what matters, not your home of record. They start off the same, but changing residency is easy.

Oh word. My home of record and residency never changed when I was in so I just kind of assumed they were the same thing.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Unless it's electronic now, when I changed my residency from home of record to Florida, I had to turn in a 1-page form to Finance (which I think was just for tax purposes), and do any one of a dozen things like get a FL driver's license, buy property, register my car locally, register to vote locally, etc. BAM residence changes, no more state income tax, and home of record stays the same.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Maybe that’s what I’m trying to ask:her residency.

She’s a resident of Massachusetts and we’re stationed here right now. I maintain residency in Arizona and plan on doing so until retirement.

Does she have the following options:

1) stay Massachusetts as long as she wants
2) adopt Arizona as her state of residency
3) change to whatever state we move to when we move.

#3 seems like it’s allowed. I’m just not sure on 1 or 2.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

All of the above.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I opted into BRS, but my TSP.gov show that my matching contributions are to Traditional balance. My own contributions are to a Roth, so is there a way for me to change this so that my match would also be Roth? Or is it not possible due to the fact that I didn't pay tax on the match? I did poke around MyPay but I didn't find a way to change it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Vahakyla posted:

I opted into BRS, but my TSP.gov show that my matching contributions are to Traditional balance. My own contributions are to a Roth, so is there a way for me to change this so that my match would also be Roth? Or is it not possible due to the fact that I didn't pay tax on the match? I did poke around MyPay but I didn't find a way to change it.

Matching contributions can't go into Roth, they're always traditional.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Midjack posted:

Matching contributions can't go into Roth, they're always traditional.

Ah. Aight, thanks!

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Vahakyla posted:

I’m pretty certain that you can change future contributions, but the ones previously made are a no.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

White Chocolate posted:

I’m pretty certain that you can change future contributions, but the ones previously made are a no.

Correct, for what you choose to put in from your pay. Employer contributions only ever go to the traditional fund. Page 26 here.

DaNerd
Sep 15, 2009

u br?
Does anyone here have any experience with the Joint Travel Regulations and Reservists on active orders for training over 140+ days?

Specifically I'm looking to go to my follow on school but it's like 8 months and I'd rather get New York BAH than Twentynine Palms BAH.

No one I know has successfully even gone to the course so no one, including all of my admin shop apparently, knows the answer to this.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Is the school in 29 palms?

Over 139 days and it triggers a PCS you have no control over (nor the NOSC)and you get hosed.
My NOSC highly discouraged me taking orders over 139 days to prevent money gently caress ups.

DaNerd
Sep 15, 2009

u br?
Yea school is in 29 Palms but I live in Brooklyn, that blows.

Unfortunately we don't get the next MOS when picking up anymore so it's either go to the school or get passed over.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Does the school cross fiscal years? There may be some shennagins with that since it must be broken in to two sets of orders...

DaNerd
Sep 15, 2009

u br?

LingcodKilla posted:

Does the school cross fiscal years? There may be some shennagins with that since it must be broken in to two sets of orders...

Yes and no. The orders would actually be for two courses back to back at the same school. The first for 125 and the other for around 160 days. The first would cross fiscal years, but not the second.

I was already thinking of looking into what happens if I go for the first course, go home, and then do the second course later. I would still be over the 140 days for the second course but at least I'd be good for the first one. If I'm reading it correctly the JTR says the PCS requirement can get a secretarial wavier if it's >140 but <180 days. That probably doesn't exist right now but I think the next step is start making more phone calls on Monday to the school house and the JTR guy in S1 to see what he says. I'm fairly certain almost no reservists, across the Corps, have done this before. They just changed how the promotions work and the old guys are getting passed over because they aren't paying attention but some of them can't afford a New York mortgage on 29 Palms BAH ($800, LOL).

Also toying with the idea with trying to request mast to get the whole situation unfucked but I'm like 99% sure that is stupid and won't work in this case.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I don't have an answer, but reservists might have a different set of rules. I know Guard does.

Ziji
Oct 20, 2010
Yossarian lives!
Anyone have any experience going through the Career Skills Program (CSP)? Might be a better question for the Vets resources thread, but it's that program they offer where your last 180 days in the military you can go through a course (i.e. Welding certification, CDL classes, etc) using your GI Bill. I'm on Fort Carson and they offer a few really good courses for IT poo poo like the MSSA and a Cybersecurity academy but have heard that it is nigh impossible to get the paperwork approved to attend. I am generally curious about any resources available on AD while I transition out as well if anyone has any insight on that.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Which branch and which MOS do I go to pilot a Jaeger?