Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog

Captain Ironblood posted:

What do you actually want to do, beyond escaping hell desk?

I don't actually care. I'm more interested in just building on the skills I have (a baseline understanding of DC operations, a bad T1 tech's worth of IT knowledge) and supplementing them with what's in demand. I'm 31 and my career trajectory has been all hosed up so at this point I'm more concerned with hireability and pay than anything, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round
Talking of network issues, one of my customers has some weird stuff happening that they either don't want to fix or don't know how. Occasionally calls jump straight to VM rather than ring handsets, as if the phone system couldn't talk to the phone.
As far as I'm aware, the system is happy, and we even semi proved this by moving it to a temp network with our own switches and router.

The evidence I have that it's something weird is that when I do a network scan with something like Softperfect scanner, all the devices show up with the right MAC for the ip, but the network name is wrong, eg the phone system itself, which is on a static will show up as 'sales-pc.domain'. same with other devices, everything seems jumbled up.

Any ideas ? just a normal flat network with a new sonicwall.

We are in one of those pointless blame loops at the moment. every few weeks they call in complaining that some calls for some users are being directed to VM rather than ring a phone. I go to site and scan the network, show them the result and say that I suspect the two situations are linked.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

spiny posted:

Talking of network issues, one of my customers has some weird stuff happening that they either don't want to fix or don't know how. Occasionally calls jump straight to VM rather than ring handsets, as if the phone system couldn't talk to the phone.
As far as I'm aware, the system is happy, and we even semi proved this by moving it to a temp network with our own switches and router.

The evidence I have that it's something weird is that when I do a network scan with something like Softperfect scanner, all the devices show up with the right MAC for the ip, but the network name is wrong, eg the phone system itself, which is on a static will show up as 'sales-pc.domain'. same with other devices, everything seems jumbled up.

We are in one of those pointless blame loops at the moment. every few weeks they call in complaining that some calls for some users are being directed to VM rather than ring a phone. I go to site and scan the network, show them the result and say that I suspect the two situations are linked.

spiny
May 20, 2004

I have a similar one on my office wall:

the customers it guys claim 'everything is fine their end' as you'd expect ...

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Got a work call at 1AM while on vacation Sunday morning, ignored it and deleted voicemail without listening; I am back from NOLA, sadly, but do not have to work until Thursday.

It has been a very needed vacation.

Though I wish I was still asleep, my partner decided to turn up the heat to 80 degrees, which I didn't notice until the 4th time I woke up, which was at 6am, then I turned it down but gave up on sleep. A nap is in my future.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Feb 27, 2018

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

MF_James posted:

Got a work call at 1AM while on vacation Sunday morning, ignored it and deleted voicemail without listening; I am back from NOLA, sadly, but do not have to work until Thursday.

Though I wish I was still asleep, my partner decided to turn up the heat to 80 degrees, which I didn't notice until the 4th time I woke up, which was at 6am, then I turned it down but gave up on sleep. A nap is in my future.

Why would they call you while you're on vacation?

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

MF_James posted:

:hfive: nap needing buddy

I've slept better since I got my mouth guard but poo poo, I'm still exhausted :(

I basically feel like I'm done with Paperclip game. I got to drones in space and didn't see much changing soon.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Vargatron posted:

We're in IT. Who here has had a vacation on which they didn't get a call.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Judge Schnoopy posted:

When I went on my honeymoon I put in my OOO that I would not, under any circumstances, return calls or emails. I then took email off my phone entirely, and disconnected my desk phone from forwarding to my cellphone. I came back to dozens of emails and voicemails about how something was extremely important and people were frustrated I wasn't responding.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Did you at least set it to respond to every single message and not only the first one?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Bigass Moth posted:

So all the traffic except 20k was going through one busted card? No load sharing actually set up?

Doesn't look like it. It was set up "in theory" but i'm finding that in theory seems to mean "yeah our old IT guy he'd done it".

It took me ages to troubleshoot however, as it happened at the same time as our router falling over and I thought i'd been stupid setting it up again.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Did you at least set it to respond to every single message and not only the first one?

I didn't the first time I went on vacation for a week, but for that trip sure as hell did. I really take work/life balance seriously, and get pretty pissed off when people try to supersede that.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Kashuno posted:

When I went on my honeymoon I put in my OOO that I would not, under any circumstances, return calls or emails. I then took email off my phone entirely, and disconnected my desk phone from forwarding to my cellphone. I came back to dozens of emails and voicemails about how something was extremely important and people were frustrated I wasn't responding.

You're on a loving honeymoon and people are mad that you're not responding???

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I'm thankful that I'm in an IT job to where nobody calls me after 5:00PM or while I'm no vacation.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Kashuno posted:

I didn't the first time I went on vacation for a week, but for that trip sure as hell did. I really take work/life balance seriously, and get pretty pissed off when people try to supersede that.

So you had email chains that were:
'i need help!'
'ooo: I'm not here and can't help'
'but I need help right now this is an emergency!'
'ok why aren't you responding I said emergency, you need to do your job'

That's hilarious and I can't imagine having to respond when you got back. Hey buddy, how's the reading comprehension?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
it's literally 'ooo: I'm not here, please contact X they can help'

*come back 10 days later*

Me:'hey did you ever work with A about this issue?'
X: 'no they never mentioned it to me at all'

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

spiny posted:

It does sound like DNS, but it could be a licensing issue depending on your phone system. You might only be allowed to handle a certain number of concurrent calls, and all the others would be rejected or sent to voicemail instead. Maybe not, but something to think about if you can pinpoint high traffic volume at the time of the problem.

spiny
May 20, 2004

Bigass Moth posted:

It does sound like DNS, but it could be a licensing issue depending on your phone system. You might only be allowed to handle a certain number of concurrent calls, and all the others would be rejected or sent to voicemail instead. Maybe not, but something to think about if you can pinpoint high traffic volume at the time of the problem.

It's not licencing on the system, all stations are licenced for all calls. For my sins, I build and deploy phone systems. The limiting factor is the amount of trunks, but if the trunks are at capacity, incoming calls never reach the phone system.

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!
That Google cert looks really promising, especially for a total noob like me. I'm probably going to go for that while I'm cheffing, before I start school.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Vargatron posted:

They didn't email me first (since it was an overnight monitoring thing they usually call our group, going down a list) and there's no way for people to know I'm on vacation (other than getting my OOO or by word of mouth) because our WFM program is hot garbage and only the person that approves time off knows the person is off.

It doesn't bother me that I got a call, I looked, saw the number and ignored it; I was awake anyway since I was up drinking till 5AM every day.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
In retrospect, setting a windows blue screen as my lock screen wasn't one of my smarter moves

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

cods posted:

(career changer here)
Where do you guys recommend for finding parts to build your own computer for someone starting from scratch?

Do you have a career path in mind? I would go with Microsoft certs if you want to get into desktop support or helpdesk. Really though it depends on what you are applying for.

https://labgopher.com/ is good for a homelab. You can test out esx or hyper v and install a domain controller and file server. Run an email server or a website to get a better understanding of the whole stack. You can do the same with centos or another Linux distro too.

For cisco certs you don't need any equipment for ccent/ccna, just packet tracer software. 2x 2600 routers and a switch would be nice to have though.

Net plus and sec plus have value, but it depends more on the roles you are applying for. Lots of government it work requires sec plus.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Irritated Goat posted:

I basically feel like I'm done with Paperclip game. I got to drones in space and didn't see much changing soon.

Did you get to space battles yet?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

The Iron Rose posted:

In retrospect, setting a windows blue screen as my lock screen wasn't one of my smarter moves

When comedy strikes back.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Hmm, just when I think I have recruitment figured out, I don't. So company said the in person interview went well, they just need final confirmation from the director now that pay rate has been confirmed. I wrote back to the recruiter saying we never discussed the rate, it needs to be increased by $7/hr because they are tapping into skills I have not listed on the JD + Occasional commuting to the city. At this point I'm expecting the recruiter to bitch about their margin or something, but no, she tells me she will let their client know and get back to me. Is this them not wanting to give up margin or are they just paid a finders fee and my rate is paid directly from the company? It is corp to corp.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Did you get to space battles yet?

Yup. I was just grinding Yomi\Honor at that point.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Irritated Goat posted:

Build more factories. I got stuck thinking I was maxed on production and needed more exploration, and it took about an hour for me to realize my hangup was factories. After that the game was over in about 4 minutes.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
It is possible to lose if you kinda lose track of where you are at. I did it the 2nd time I played. I think I maybe ran out of money and wire? Something like that. But beyond that, just leave it open in a visible tab and let auto clippers, then mega clippers, then drones do their thing, and occasionally look over to add more of whatever looks good. Easy game, but so god drat hilarious.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

It is possible to lose if you kinda lose track of where you are at. I did it the 2nd time I played. I think I maybe ran out of money and wire? Something like that. But beyond that, just leave it open in a visible tab and let auto clippers, then mega clippers, then drones do their thing, and occasionally look over to add more of whatever looks good. Easy game, but so god drat hilarious.

You can't, really. If you run out of money and wire you get a beg for more wire project (stage 1), in stage 2 you can disassemble everything and get enough back to get yourself to stage 3 and at stage 3 I think the only think that can really stop you is if you forget that more = better

I actually got hosed over in the cool space battles part and ended up having to create 500 new probes (slamming spacebar) but I shuffled around all of my points into mainly self replication and hazard reduction, then 1 in everything else up until I had enough creativity to get ridiculous amounts of honour, once you get 30 trust you can shove 7 points in combat, 7 points in self rep, 7 points in hazard reduction and 1 in everything else, you'll win in a few minutes once you've gotten that far.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Irritated Goat posted:

You're not actually that far from the end, and it's really worth it, imo.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

dogstile posted:

You can't, really. If you run out of money and wire you get a beg for more wire project (stage 1)
I never saw the project so I probably just didn't wait. I think I saw everything grind to a halt, realized I had no wire and money, and peaced out.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

dogstile posted:

if you forget that more = better

This is the only part where I got stuck for a while, toward the middle of stage 3. You don't win by having the best probes. You win by having ALL OF THE PROBES.

Also agree that the ending is perfect for this game.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
So I'm going to spend the next few days reaching out to all our cloud vendors with SAML SSO federations to determine if they're patched or planning to patch for the new SAML vulnerability :(

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

silicone thrills posted:

Why am I still playing this? What the hell?

I converted the entire universe, left the scraps to the Drift, and converted the entire *next* universe. How can this be so engrossing?

Thanks Ants posted:

Shortcut chat: Win+Shift+S changed my life

Well, thanks. That just saved me the :effort: of opening Snipping Tool.

The Iron Rose posted:

So how many times did you force-reboot your machine mistakenly?

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
I actually imagine coworkers would do it more often in an attempt to be helpful.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Ranter posted:

So I'm going to spend the next few days reaching out to all our cloud vendors with SAML SSO federations to determine if they're patched or planning to patch for the new SAML vulnerability :(

Holy poo poo this one is pretty freaking bad.

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!

lampey posted:

Do you have a career path in mind? I would go with Microsoft certs if you want to get into desktop support or helpdesk. Really though it depends on what you are applying for.

https://labgopher.com/ is good for a homelab. You can test out esx or hyper v and install a domain controller and file server. Run an email server or a website to get a better understanding of the whole stack. You can do the same with centos or another Linux distro too.

For cisco certs you don't need any equipment for ccent/ccna, just packet tracer software. 2x 2600 routers and a switch would be nice to have though.

Net plus and sec plus have value, but it depends more on the roles you are applying for. Lots of government it work requires sec plus.

No idea yet. Currently a chef, and after summer is over i plan to go back to school/get any 9-5 I can find/ work on certifications right now so I can hopefully land a deskhelp job within the year.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

cods posted:

No idea yet. Currently a chef, and after summer is over i plan to go back to school/get any 9-5 I can find/ work on certifications right now so I can hopefully land a deskhelp job within the year.

esxi and Cisco certs might be a bit advanced. I seriously like that google course for people looking to career change. The breadth of what it covers and how agnostic it tries to be towards specific vendor tech is nice.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

do you guys think there is much value in having both a ccnp and vcp? i'm a network guy by heart but my day-to-day is almost entirely switching stuff and very little routing, all the while i've done a lot of work in vcenter for years and years, and i took the required class for vcp6 back in 2016 but never took the exam.

i just don't want my ccnp to feel like a paper cert because of how little experience i have on the routing side of things, and i'm wondering if i should grab the vmware certification just because i deal with that stuff so much.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I think certs are worthless unless required/paid for by employer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

freeasinbeer posted:

I think certs are worthless unless required/paid for by employer.
Cool, you want to let every HR department in the country know or should I?

CCNP and VCP together might be a good combination to open a few extra doors. If you went any higher up either chain it might get silly. CCNP and VCAP is probably overkill, and I personally would be suspicious of someone who had both.