Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

boop the snoot posted:

you know what sucks?

an unexpected howitzer going off on the same small fob as you.
If you're super lucky, you'll be woken up by the idiots yelling about ten seconds before they fire, which is, coincidentally, exactly the same amount of time that it takes for your sleep-deprived brain to figure out what's about to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Icon Of Sin posted:

I look forward to stories from when you become the S4 :twisted:

I'm already well on my way. There's a bunch of poo poo that needs to be done and I don't know what I'm doing but I'm uh.....well I'm doing something...

It's like somebody ordered something complicated and then built it without using the instructions, took it apart, tore out every other page of the instructions and then handed it to me and told me to put it back together.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
There’s two places north of El Paso that they send units to. I did a training out there way back in the day at Camp McGregor right on the Texas/ New Mexico Border. It was about 20 minutes south of white sands and 40 north of El Paso. The only thing near by is a small prison. The information I have on the camp is super dated because it was 2006 when I was there, but it was a small camp with a little shoppette and one of those single screen Army movie theatres. They had some billeting in small buildings, but they also had a huge overflow tent full of Soldiers. The scenery was desolate, high desert, with nothing but sand dunes for miles in each direction.

El Paso itself isn’t awful, but it definitely is a border town with all the problems that go along with it. I was only out there for 3 weeks so I can’t speak to a full multiple month mobilization.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

There’s two places north of El Paso that they send units to. I did a training out there way back in the day at Camp McGregor right on the Texas/ New Mexico Border. It was about 20 minutes south of white sands and 40 north of El Paso. The only thing near by is a small prison. The information I have on the camp is super dated because it was 2006 when I was there, but it was a small camp with a little shoppette and one of those single screen Army movie theatres. They had some billeting in small buildings, but they also had a huge overflow tent full of Soldiers. The scenery was desolate, high desert, with nothing but sand dunes for miles in each direction.

El Paso itself isn’t awful, but it definitely is a border town with all the problems that go along with it. I was only out there for 3 weeks so I can’t speak to a full multiple month mobilization.

How much it sucks seems to be unit/mission dependent.

El Paso is a border city with some of the lowest violent crime rates in the nation for a city of that size. My main issues with the city were a high drunk driving rate, it's hard to find quality work or have businesses actually call you back in a timely fashion, and I barely speak any Spanish. Who knew a city originally run by Spain and Mexico before becoming part of Free Texas and then the CSA/USA would have a lot of Spanish speakers?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I’m sitting in the coffee shop on campus studying (sort of) and I just felt like reminding everybody that the army sucks and I am glad I’m not in it anymore :)

Have a great career Mustang.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

boop the snoot posted:

I’m sitting in the coffee shop on campus studying (sort of) and I just felt like reminding everybody that the army sucks and I am glad I’m not in it anymore :)

Have a great career Mustang.

This plus the fact that it’s my day off Tuesday and Thursday every week thanks to my schedule.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I'm still job hunting (it sucks), but my volunteer gig at our aquarium is going pretty loving well right now. I'm going to be a safety diver for the Weeki Wachee Mermaids when they visit this weekend :)

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Icon Of Sin posted:

I'm still job hunting (it sucks), but my volunteer gig at our aquarium is going pretty loving well right now. I'm going to be a safety diver for the Weeki Wachee Mermaids when they visit this weekend :)

That’s insanely cool. I love volunteering for my University and they started printing my photos in their newspaper.

Congrats! Hope money follows you

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Why couldn't it be the other kind of mermaid, with the fish part on top and the woman part on the bottom?!

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

The Rat posted:

Why couldn't it be the other kind of mermaid, with the fish part on top and the woman part on the bottom?!

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

The Rat posted:

A mermaid... so, half person, half fish?

No, no. Top and bottom halves, not left and right.

No, human on top, fish on bottom.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

The Rat posted:

/
https://i.imgur.com/wzFay2C.gifv

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

They say Troy McClure is into...unnatural things.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

mlmp08 posted:

How much it sucks seems to be unit/mission dependent.

El Paso is a border city with some of the lowest violent crime rates in the nation for a city of that size. My main issues with the city were a high drunk driving rate, it's hard to find quality work or have businesses actually call you back in a timely fashion, and I barely speak any Spanish. Who knew a city originally run by Spain and Mexico before becoming part of Free Texas and then the CSA/USA would have a lot of Spanish speakers?

Are you referring to the statistics that you hear over the intercoms in the El Paso Airport? Something like "El Paso has been ranked one of the safest cities in the nation blah blah blah.." but they base that off the statistics that they have the highest police ratio per capita, and they include all border patrol members into the statistic which is essentially like saying they have two full fledged police forces.

Not to split hairs, I will say that I felt pretty safe driving around El Paso/Las Cruces with little fear of someone stealing my car or my butthole virginity.

Nice and hot piss fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Feb 27, 2018

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
No, it's based on murder rate. Property crime is fairly average, last I checked.

E: actually, based on Wikipedia it's pretty far below average crime rate in just about all the property and violent crimes. Middle of the pack for rape.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
:thunk: what could cause the high incidence of rapes in El Paso

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

mods change my name posted:

:thunk: what could cause the high incidence of rapes in El Paso

not are troops!!!!!!!!

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

There's an inspection coming up and there are 33 loving references I have to read to make sure we're in compliance with all of them

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Mustang posted:

There's an inspection coming up and there are 33 loving references I have to read to make sure we're in compliance with all of them

lol

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

Mustang posted:

We had a command climate survey for my company recently and the worst thing anyone had to say was that its hosed up we don't have our own printer and have to use BNs. The civilian dude that put together the results said that he usually only see's that in the SOF units on post. Not that we're super high speed or anything just that morale is pretty high.

Me and my 3 section leaders are all the same age, my PSG only a couple years older so we all get along really well. I only have one troublesome soldier and he's not even really that much trouble.

Seriously the most fun I've ever had at a job.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
oh god there it is

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

The COL and the BDEs LTC's had a change of command at the same time and everything went downhill from there

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Mustang posted:

The COL and the BDEs LTC's had a change of command at the same time and everything went downhill from there

That was the day you finally joined the army.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
yeah because the one or two officers at the top leaving is the reason why the army got so army all of a sudden

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
o7 o7 o7
tyfys

lol

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

It wasn't one or two, it was a huge crop of field grades. The BDE and every BN had a change of command almost at the same time. It was pretty much like night and day.,

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
i repeat myself

that's how the army works

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Mustang posted:

It wasn't one or two, it was a huge crop of field grades. The BDE and every BN had a change of command almost at the same time. It was pretty much like night and day.,

yeah multiple levels of leadership leaving at the same time is pretty standard.

kind of like how everyone seems to PCS around the same time.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
there's a high probability that if everything is working as well as you think it is, and it's not because you're still new and don't realize it, it's by accident and will correct itself quickly

i am 100% serious

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
think about how army the army is.

we had so many brigade and battalion level change of commands in 2011 after my brigade got back from afghanistan that they stopped making anyone e6 and below go because the first few (where everybody in the unit had to go) took so loving long that they wouldn't be able to do all of the CoCs in time to for the O's to their next assignment.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Mustang how many times did you have to present flowers to a spouse like anyone fukken cares about them

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
it's the natural lifecycle of a GiP member that just goes in

THIS IS GREAT
YOU GUYS DON'T HAVE THE HEART
MY UNIT IS AWESOME
THINGS ARE OK MOST OF THE TIME
CRAZY poo poo MAN
gently caress THIS I'M OUT
WHEEEEED

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Vasudus posted:

that's how the army works

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Bruce Hornsby & The Range's "The Way it is" but its about the Army

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

sorry mustang i can't hear you over my stereo

and i can't read your misery through these clouds of weed smoke

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZXc39hT8t4

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

It was either Mustang or Vakhayla, I thought I warned you that your happy fun times were only a single change of command away from ending permanently. Now it's happened, and every. single. one of us warned you that it was coming. How's that resignation packet coming along?

e: can't find it, at least that I posted within this thread. Still, let it be a warning to anyone who thinks they have a good unit.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJVpihgwE18

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

Mustang posted:

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
if someone is having a good time i'm not one to tell them that their life is going to suck in the future.

let them enjoy the good times. poo poo.

however, mustang is already miserable so i'm going to pile on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Dude don't sign for a loving thing