Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I'm glad that the Prequel "it's bad" cycle is still in full effect.

A: "It's bad because the mountains and lava are all just CGI."

B: "It's actually a practical effect."

C: "It's bad because it's badly composited."

etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Mustafar is real, and hot, and it's my home.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
It doesn't matter whether the sand was practical or CGI. It looked like poo poo because it was poorly production designed and composited.

The whole Tatooine section of A New Hope was basically art directed as "make the sand get everywhere". It would have been a lot more tense had the sand actually ever felt irritating or if there was anything on the planet other than course and rough sand.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I just want to meet the ad wizard who built a successful business on apparently packing and shipping lava to rando places around the galaxy.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Lava is just really really hot rock.

Like Van Halen or whatever.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

What’s a bad/poorly composed shot from the lava battle?

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
George knew things would come full circle, like rhyming poetry: Mustafar is a Disney trademark, isn't it?

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Fart City posted:

I just want to meet the ad wizard who built a successful business on apparently packing and shipping lava to rando places around the galaxy.

You need the lava for your droid foundries, duh.

Kart Barfunkel posted:

What’s a bad/poorly composed shot from the lava battle?

Someone dig up the tezzor rule of thirds post

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
The way you know the Prequels weren't that good is the level of penetration they've had into the broader culture. Like, everyone knows what a Wookie or a Yoda is. What the gently caress is a Toydarian or Jem'Hadar Shapeshifer?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

porfiria posted:

The way you know the Prequels weren't that good is the level of penetration they've had into the broader culture. Like, everyone knows what a Wookie or a Yoda is. What the gently caress is a Toydarian or Jem'Hadar Shapeshifer?

This mainly due to the shift that there's just simply more pop-culture to consume.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Jerk McJerkface posted:

This mainly due to the shift that there's just simply more pop-culture to consume.

Or, try this one, everyone isn’t wrong about those movies being pretty bleh.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

porfiria posted:

(i see you left out gungan)

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Waffles Inc. posted:

(i see you left out gungan)

No joke, I had to google that. I'm sure the general public remembers Jar Jar, I doubt most people can name his race.

JfishPirate
Jun 24, 2006
I have been grossly misinformed about witches.

Papercut posted:

No joke, I had to google that. I'm sure the general public remembers Jar Jar, I doubt most people can name his race.

What's Yoda's race, then?

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

JfishPirate posted:

That's just what people look like when they hit 900.

Come to think of it the best and most recognizable stuff from the prequels is all in Phantom Menace--Jar Jar, Darth Maul, and Queen's outfits.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

JfishPirate posted:

Don't give JJ Abrams any ideas.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Star Wars episodes good

Star Wars stories bad

Star Wars holiday specials very good

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
I dunno what the deal is with people and how much they hate the holiday special. I had a fun time watching it! Granted I was stoned as hell with a bunch of friends but that’s how you should watch Star Wars stuff anyway.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

TildeATH posted:

Or, try this one, everyone isn’t wrong about those movies being pretty bleh.

The prequels being not good and there being too much pop culture aren't mutually exclusive.

Super-NintendoUser fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Feb 28, 2018

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

porfiria posted:

That's just what people look like when they hit 900.

Come to think of it the best and most recognizable stuff from the prequels is all in Phantom Menace--Jar Jar, Darth Maul, and Queen's outfits.

Clone Troopers, Count Dooku and Jango Fett are all pretty recognizable stuff from AotC.

I'd also go as far as to say General Grievous is pretty recognizable at this point.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

AndyElusive posted:

Clone Troopers, Count Dooku and Jango Fett are all pretty recognizable stuff from AotC.

I'd also go as far as to say General Grievous is pretty recognizable at this point.

General public sees Clone troopers and Jango Fett and recognizes them as stormtroopers and Boba Fetts.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

judging a movie's quality on how much people remember the names of specific toys is kinda dumb

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Brother Entropy posted:

judging a movie's quality on how much people remember the names of specific toys is kinda dumb

It's literally the point of the entire project. I don't mean that in a cynical way; what's the point if not the rad aliens and ships?

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
I fell asleep during RotS during a midday showing, very engaging and memorable.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Prequel memes are making all of these things more memorable, though. Like, I think General Grievous is pretty recognizable from stuff like the “Hello There General Kenobi” meme. Seriously, do a GIS on that phrase. It’s crazy.

I half wonder if Disney is pushing these memes to make the prequels have a kind of renaissance. But it’s more likely that kids who grew up with the prequels are just making memes from their childhood. Because yeah, the prequels are nostalgic now.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Feb 28, 2018

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

porfiria posted:

It's literally the point of the entire project. I don't mean that in a cynical way; what's the point if not the rad aliens and ships?

you might not have meant it but that sure sounds like a cynical as gently caress way to look at filmmaking

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

thrawn527 posted:

Prequel memes are making all of these things more memorable, though. Like, I think General Grievous is pretty recognizable from stuff like the “Hello There General Kenobi” meme. Seriously, do a GIS on that phrase. It’s crazy.

I half wonder if Disney is pushing these memes to make the prequels have a kind of renaissance. But it’s more likely that kids who grew up with the prequels are just making memes from their childhood. Because yeah, the prequels are nostalgic now.

Disney is pushing the sequel memes (of which all of them suck).

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Milky Moor posted:

Disney is pushing the sequel memes (of which all of them suck).

I haven’t seen many sequel memes, outside of Ben Swolo, which is (often) great.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Disney made a point to provide a clean image of that shot from the film as a response/promotion of that meme.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I rate Star Wars films by the quality of the memes and I gotta tell you... the prequels are the best entries by far.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The movies about which I cannot stop talking about had little cultural impact.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Real talk, though, the original trilogy alien names being so well-known is incredible. Do they even say the word "Ework" in Return of the Jedi?

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

100 degrees Calcium posted:

Real talk, though, the original trilogy alien names being so well-known is incredible. Do they even say the word "Ework" in Return of the Jedi?

Ewok and Palpatine are both never said in the original trilogy.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

There were toys and dolls and comics and shirts and trading cards and McDonald's happy meals with them in 1983

And fanzines

And maybe a cartoon.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

euphronius posted:

There were toys and dolls and comics and shirts and trading cards and McDonald's happy meals with them in 1983

And fanzines

Also ewok movies.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I'm just saying in 1983 even.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Goddamn toys are where it's really at.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

euphronius posted:

And fanzines

And maybe a cartoon.

and the kids who originally bought all those things went on to make pop culture that continued to reference these things as the decades went by to further permeate the names of rando nobodies in old rear end films

the only reason i remember who captain needa is is because of a drat 30 rock episode

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Pops Mgee posted:

General public sees Clone troopers and Jango Fett and recognizes them as stormtroopers and Boba Fetts.

OR and this is where poo poo gets real cray because of when somebody first watches a Star War, they see Stormtroopers and Boba Fett and recognizes them as Clonetroopers and Jango Fetts.

Also, "General Public" should have been a character in the EU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

who the gently caress is captain needa

• Locked thread