Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Rewatching this actually I'm struck by how Tom cruise's character is tall enough to see over most of the people in the club
That's some peter Jackson lotr poo poo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTcrJdZgyUk

I like that there's a nod to that with a few-second sequence where:

We see Tom Cruise looking around:

Then a shot from his perspective, where we/he can't see poo poo:

Then the camera rises up to give an actual view over the crowd:

And then Tom Cruise acts on what we've seen but he obviously would not have been able to.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Feb 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

sponges posted:

I don’t care how original the gunplay in Equilibrium is when the result is so embarasssing to watch.

You're right. True pros watch it for the sickass swordplay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsxWO7QTsMw

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
The best part about that is later in the movie there's an overhead shot of the office and you can see they cut out a piece of paper with Taye Digg's face on it and put it on the floor.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I love Angus Macfadyen in that movie, just his way of saying things ("Coooooolly") and that awkward little shuffle step thing he does when he dies.
https://youtu.be/LqQJOr4Rx5k
Too bad he's not in more poo poo.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The best part about that is later in the movie there's an overhead shot of the office and you can see they cut out a piece of paper with Taye Digg's face on it and put it on the floor.

Love this part. It’s so silly.

one of my favorites from my movie consuming youngster times.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Sir Kodiak posted:

I like that there's a nod to that with a few-second sequence where:

We see Tom Cruise looking around:

Then a shot from his perspective, where we/he can't see poo poo:

Then the camera rises up to give an actual view over the crowd:

And then Tom Cruise acts on what we've seen but he obviously would not have been able to.

God I hope Michael Mann makes at least one more crime film before he dies.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is there a particular name for that one Mexican standoff variant John Woo really likes and puts in all his movies where it's two guys standing face-to-face at arm's length holding their guns on each other?

It's in all his Hong Kong movies, obviously:

But it shows up in most of his Hollywood movies too, for instance:

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

That's not really a variant, a Mexican standoff can be two, three, four people

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I thought it had to be at least three (i.e. one guy shoots another guy and gets shot by another guy) but I don't know all the ins and outs of it. :shrug:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Human Tornada posted:

God I hope Michael Mann makes at least one more crime film before he dies.

All he makes is crime films.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qylb0dvPOf8

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

CelticPredator posted:

Ali, The Keep, Last of the Mohicans, The Insider, upcoming Enzo Ferrari biopic

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

CelticPredator posted:

Yeah so what's one more?

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Chinese Standoff > Mexican Standoff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fZRAITdKgs

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Man, I miss John Carpenter. Actually, I'm too young, so I missed John Carpenter.

Big Trouble in Little CHina remains one of the movies with the biggest asian-american cast, 20-30 years later.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

Man, I miss John Carpenter. Actually, I'm too young, so I missed John Carpenter.

Big Trouble in Little CHina remains one of the movies with the biggest asian-american cast, 20-30 years later.

Such a loving fun movie. And Russel's portrayal of Jack Burton being some kind of hyper-confused John Wayne type was brilliant.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

MonsieurChoc posted:

Ya, that's a big reason I love the film. Carpenter kickstarted the careers of a whole bunch of Chinese-American actors, stuntmen and stunt coordinators because he had the wherewithal to cast them instead of putting white guys in yellow face, or passing off other races as Chinese (Gerald Okamura and Jeff Imada not withstanding). That was a big deal for a kid growing up as one of only two Chinese families in a Canadian logging town in the 80s/90s.

And it was way ahead of it's time in terms of modern martial arts films, predating the North American wire-fu craze by almost 15 years (Matrix, Crouching Tiger, etc.), even though they use trampolines for a similar effect.

It's a shame everything Carpenter did after They Live is trash, with the exception of In The Mouth of Madness.

Proteus Jones posted:

Such a loving fun movie. And Russel's portrayal of Jack Burton being some kind of hyper-confused John Wayne type was brilliant.

Carpenter and Russell talk about this on the home video commentary. Jack Burton isn't the hero of the film, Wang Chi is. Burton is the bumbling sidekick.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

That's fairly evident, but they both shook the pillars of hell.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Proteus Jones posted:

More people need to read the comics. The art isn't great, but you get to see Jack impersonating Snake Plissken. Some of the covers are fantastic as well, particularly on the current Old Man Jack series.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The Big Trouble comics really do nail the tone, characters, and world more than any other spinoff I know of. They're terrific.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMgLxOZJWvs

Can't wait to see Wreck-It Ralph reacts to Pregnant Elsa Dental Surgery Spider-Man Hulk Dentist Lethal Injection Fun Videos For kids.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

The MSJ posted:

Can't wait to see Wreck-It Ralph reacts to Pregnant Elsa Dental Surgery Spider-Man Hulk Dentist Lethal Injection Fun Videos For kids.

Was that young Moana playing the tablet game at the end???

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I really like Wreck-It Ralph and that looks pretty, pretty bad :(

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

ALFbrot posted:

I really like Wreck-It Ralph and that looks pretty, pretty bad :(

Yeah, that looks dreadful.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I liked it. I'm not high or anything.

Granted, Sarah Silverman could appear in an Arby's commercial and I'd probably like it.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Jedit posted:

More people need to read the comics. The art isn't great, but you get to see Jack impersonating Snake Plissken. Some of the covers are fantastic as well, particularly on the current Old Man Jack series.

I see Carpenter's name on the second cover, does he write some of the comics? Or is it just there because BTiLC he directed the movie?

One of my co-workers watched BTiLC for the first time this week and came in gushing about trying to get others to watch it. She's cool in my book. I gave her list of Carpenter flicks to check out.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

The MSJ posted:

...Breaks the internet? What year is it?

Looks dumb as hell and not in a good way, Ready Player One but with 300% more internet culture references.... actually isn't this basically The Emoji Movie?

Deakul fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Feb 28, 2018

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

MacheteZombie posted:

I see Carpenter's name on the second cover, does he write some of the comics? Or is it just there because BTiLC he directed the movie?

I don't know exactly how much Carpenter contributes to the stories, but he gets a full writer's credit and not just a "characters created by".

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

The MSJ posted:

They stole a Monty Python joke, it's the internet all right.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

The MSJ posted:

Yuck. Big difference between "look what video game characters do in their downtime, Bowser is in a support group!" and "don't you love brands? Ebay is a literal auction house!"

Having recently watched The Emoji Move, this seems basically the same. Actually if anything, the Emoji Movie is closer to the original. Maybe if the spam/clickbait people were beleaguered salesmen like Shelley Levene instead of just anthropomorphized spam it would work a little better

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Has there ever been a good movie involving the internet?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Man, I hope someone ctrl-alt-deletes that movie! Hahah! Computers!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Yeah that's bad. That's just a bunch of boilerplate internet jokes done with neon people.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I've seen people in other areas say how much they love the exploding rabbit joke at the end, and that it's "totally in character" for Ralph

in Wreck it Ralph, he accidentally messes up a cake and drops it on some townsfolks' heads. He also accidentally introduces a dangerous parasite into a candy world, which is treated as a Very Bad Thing
In Wreck it Ralph 2, he force feeds a cartoon rabbit until it (presumably gruesomely) explodes, and it is treated as a funny gag

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Has there ever been a good movie involving the internet?

What about da social network

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Does Zoo count?

I wonder if Ralph will meet mr hands

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

whalestory posted:

What about da social network

Pull up pull up Sorkin haters incoming

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

kiimo posted:

Pull up pull up Sorkin haters incoming

The Social Network was actually one of the only Sorkin things I liked.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

The West Wing owned for most of its run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hello. It’s me. The only fan of Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip.

• Locked thread