Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Asking if someone is drunk in an Ireland thread.
OF COURSE WE ARE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I don’t want to be one of those guys but aren’t they laying it on a bit thick with this Beast From The East poo poo?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Yeah maybe a little bit, but I'd rather they over-react rather than under-react to be honest.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

julian assflange posted:

I don’t want to be one of those guys but aren’t they laying it on a bit thick with this Beast From The East poo poo?

I assumed they were talking about the loyalist supergrass when I first heard that said on the radio :/

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Lol @ Leo’s comms department

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Weather just kicked in where I'm at. Holy moly.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
It'd founder a pig.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

ayes shes baltic

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niEjRq29VLQ

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
Can anyone in the thread help me with a little conundrum that has always puzzled me?

Why do so many nationalists call Stormont Stormount and Westminster Westminister? :/

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

crispix posted:

Can anyone in the thread help me with a little conundrum that has always puzzled me?

Why do so many nationalists call Stormont Stormount and Westminster Westminister? :/

I don't think there's a proper reason op

See also: murials, bonefires, health and safeity

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine
And flegs. Though that one straddles the sectarian divide.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
This is an unprecedented situation to bury bad news. Let’s see what Leo’s comms team decides to do today

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Just a small but fun update from Tusk today pretty much stating everything is on hold until London gets it's act together on the Irish border:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-eu-talks-irish-border-tusk-varadkar-northern-ireland-uk-solution-dup-a8246216.html

https://twitter.com/eucopresident/status/971771754325700608

The EU are really doing everything they can to max out that social link. The difference in approach between Brussels and London to the border is night and day.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%
Ooh the EU dabbling in politics.
This is going to go well...

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Seems to be doing the trick.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
It is really quite hilarious how the Tories are trying to play the victim re: the border when they are in bed with the loving DUP.

crispix fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Mar 10, 2018

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Just learning about the latest gerrymandering shite coming out from the borders commission has me angrier than I can remember being in a long, long time.

This is an immediate fallout from Brexit - the DUP blatantly opposed the boundaries originally drawn up in 2016, then gloated about how they would be able to change them post-referendum.

And now look at the shite we're starting down: Belfast, a majority nationalist city, with a majority (or entirely) unionist representation. A town in Derry split between three constituencies. It's loving shameless.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

I think you've got to be careful about what you mean by "majority nationalist" there son lest you fall into the Gerry Kelly hole - At the last Assembly election all Belfast (or at least it's constituencies) split 36.5% Unionist, 38.4% Nationalist and 25% Other on first preferences; Last Westminster was Unionist 39%, Nationalist 40.8%, Other 20% to account for the FPTP wobbles in the "other" vote.

I mean FPTP is a poo poo system and the fracturing of the vote amongst parties doesn't help much - Belfast West was always gonna go Nationalist, Belfast East Unionist (Alliance being an outside bet), Belfast North is on a knife edge in terms of votes and any adjustments to that constituency in either direction will be enough to shunt the vote. Belfast South was the only real major gently caress up where objectively the DUP should not have won and Nationalist voters (42%) outnumber Unionist voters (34%) but the failure to agree a joint candidate or for one to step aside and the hefty Other vote caused some serious FPTP fuckery.

The new proposals will probably return the same results as before - 1 SF, 3 DUP, with South Belfast + North Belfast pulling in more Unionist voters by absorbing some more outlying areas. The proposals before that could have possibly returned 2 SF, 1 Alliance (what with Dundonald getting sliced off Belfast East) which arguably is just as disproportionate.

In conclusion FPTP bad

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Perhaps I'm being blinded by my proximity here (despite having lived in, well, Canada for a rake of years) but I'm not seeing how a 2-SF 1-DUP split is less representative than a 1-SF 3-DUP split, which was outright misrepresentative.

To me this is an obvious attempt at gerrymandering seizing upon the DUP's hold on the Tories in order to screw over the Nationalist community. Again.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Nilbop posted:

Perhaps I'm being blinded by my proximity here (despite having lived in, well, Canada for a rake of years) but I'm not seeing how a 2-SF 1-DUP split is less representative than a 1-SF 3-DUP split, which was outright misrepresentative.

To me this is an obvious attempt at gerrymandering seizing upon the DUP's hold on the Tories in order to screw over the Nationalist community. Again.

The boundary commission is an independent body though and p much most of the changes in the new proposal are all built around facilitating Belfast remaining a four seater (the Dungiven thing is v weird but its being split between two heavy SF leaning seats) which was an ask from both the DUP and the SDLP - Alliance submitted to go down to a three seater but the commission ultimately retreated to the cautious position of not shaking up the internal boundaries between constituencies in Belfast metro too much as their initial over all plan for all constituencies was raised eyebrows for some pretty wild redraws.

Problem is to retain four seats and met the new population targets Belfast South needs to start inching towards Lisburn and Belfast North towards Newtonabbey which will have obvious knock on effects. The commission cant take into account demographic political concerns to maintain balance, they just got to expand the population by attaching adjacent wards.

The previous proposals could have been 2 SF - 1 DUP, but the abolishment of Belfast South and Belfast East absorbing Ormeau and losing Dundonald would scrape down the margins to make it a lot together fight between the DUP and Alliance (why Alliance probably ultimately didn't mind a three seat layout).

I don't really see it as a gerrymander rather than a retreat from something overly ambitious and anyone knows that in NI anything approaching ambitious gets thrown in the bin right quickly.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
This Seth guy on RTÉ1 radio is a complete clown. Actually used the phrase 'virtue signalling'...

Says Varadkar should try to appeal to Trump and the Trump voter. These are the people who lost the 13th safest republican seat to an Irish democrat. The US loving hate Trump, who gives a poo poo about pissing him and his ilk off.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

If we don't placate Trump he might not cut a special deal for the undocumented Irish protecting them from himself!

Also:

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news...m-36705148.html

quote:

I think what President Trump has done in many ways is emulated our tax policy, decided that it makes sense to have lower tax for business and it makes sense to tax companies on the money they make in your country rather than trying to tax them on money they make in other parts of the world," he said.

"So, if anything, I'll be congratulating him on the fact that he's successfully changed American tax laws and brought them more into line with ours. I'm not going to criticise him for going a long way towards the tax system we have in Ireland which I think is going to benefit America and benefit Ireland too."

For fucks sake Leo

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
gently caress off Leo

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

julian assflange posted:

gently caress off Leo

quote:

Speaking during a lunch on Capitol Hill in front of Mr Trump and members of Congress, Mr Varadkar said he and the president “actually had been in contact before he was president and I was taoiseach”.

He recalled that Mr Trump raised the issue of his recent golf resort purchase in Doonbeg, Co Clare, and his concerns about windfarms that were to be built in the area.

Mr Varadkar said he then rang Clare County Council. “I tried to do what I could do. The planning permission was declined,” he said. “The president has very kindly given me credit for that. I have to say it probably would have been refused anyway."

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/leo-varadkar-under-fire-for-telling-trump-doonbeg-anecdote-1.3428834?mode=amp

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
:stare:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
What a oval office.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I really want this to blow up.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Bedshaped posted:

I really want this to blow up.

Even the indo are splashing it over the top of their site.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

It's not illegal I don't think but it's certainly loving improper. I mean, it looks really bad for both Trump and Varadkar.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

irlZaphod posted:

It's not illegal I don't think but it's certainly loving improper. I mean, it looks really bad for both Trump and Varadkar.

I mean I don't think Trump can look much worse. This and the spin department story might mark the end of Leos honeymoon period though.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Some damage control

quote:

Following the Taoiseach's controversial marks, Senator Martin Conway has claimed he did not act "inappropriately".

Speaking on Newstalk Breakfast today, he said: "There was no representation from the Taoiseach from when he was a minister at the time on the planning frame, there is no log of any call from the Taoiseach to Clare County Council and no representative from Clare County Council has any recollection of any call from Leo Varadkar on this matter.

"I think it's fairly clear there was no intervention that was inappropriate."

He continued to say: "His office contacted Clare County Council to check the status of a planning file, which politicians do on a regular basis if someone contacts their office enquiring about a planning application, where it's at, what the story is with it, we regularly make phone calls with local authorities about planning to check the status.

"I am absolutely categorically sure there was no call from Leo Varadkar, I have spoken to people from Clare County Council and from Leo Varadkar's office."

So Leo misspoke you see

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Sounds like this will hurt Leo if evidence comes down the pipe later.

For party that has presided over a significant amount of austerity, a linear increase in homelessness and a linear increase in hospital crowding without doing anything; it's entirely unsurprising that they would interfere in a local authority matter to the beck and call of a foreign billionaire.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2016/03/14/wwn-guide-to-smiling-politely-when-an-american-says-im-irish

quote:

IT may rank as one of the most infuriating experiences an Irish person can endure, but due to the high levels of foreign direct investment the Nation enjoys from America, you must continue to smile politely when a US citizen informs you that they are ‘Irish’ or face the possible ruination of our entire economy.

Such politeness is proving harder and harder to achieve, thus WWN’s guide to nodding and smiling in an effort to hide your displeasure could not have come at a better time:

“My granny was from, I think it’s pronounced ‘conny-mary'”

Don’t take the bait. That anger which has covered your every fibre like a warm, violent blanket is not to be trusted. When faced with an American harmlessly sharing with you their heritage you must reject your anger or face catastrophic fallout.

Do not correct their ear shattering mispronunciation of Connemara, instead think of the first time you ever saw a breast on TV or something, or in the cinema, yes, that’s it, Kate Winslet’s boobs in Titanic. Let the anger subside.

“It’s my first time here. Going to visit my second cousins 16 times removed, say, you couldn’t point me in the direction of a pot of gold, could ya? Ha ha”

Put down the knife. No, stop it. Christ, that’s a lot of blood. Jesus, yer man isn’t looking too good now. Clean your fingerprints off the knife and run. Don’t look back. Actually, wait, take their wallet, make it look like a mugging. Keep the head down, say nothing. This will all blow over in a few days.

“We’re so happy to finally be here to experience our heritage, you must be so proud of all your country has achieved here and abroad. The Irish people have given so much to the world”

OK, first off, shut the gently caress up condescending us, you walking advertisement for weight watchers -that’s what you shouldn’t say obviously. Remember, calm, deep breaths. In a few short months from now there won’t even be an America anymore, because Donald Trump.

“My granddad was from Cork, but I won’t bore you with that bullshit, anyway you happen to know if the GPO is up this way, would you? Thanks”

Check. Out. This. Prick. Don’t let that anger in though, smile, smile, that’s it, and now give them directions to Tallaght, keeping smiling, That American is going to get so lost it’s not even funny. Good job.

Katt fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Mar 17, 2018

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

SF announced they've moved forward their ard fheis to june to move a motion backing elective abortion within nonspecific gestation limits, solid indication they'll likely vote in favour of the Oireachtas Committee's 12 week proposal in the event of repeal.

If they whip in typical SF fashion that narrows the gap to something like one or two votes shy of a majority with plenty yet to declare officially

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/davidcochrane/status/976170476774002689?s=19

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Nice, drat nice

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

kustomkarkommando posted:

The boundary commission is an independent body though and p much most of the changes in the new proposal are all built around facilitating Belfast remaining a four seater (the Dungiven thing is v weird but its being split between two heavy SF leaning seats) which was an ask from both the DUP and the SDLP - Alliance submitted to go down to a three seater but the commission ultimately retreated to the cautious position of not shaking up the internal boundaries between constituencies in Belfast metro too much as their initial over all plan for all constituencies was raised eyebrows for some pretty wild redraws.

Problem is to retain four seats and met the new population targets Belfast South needs to start inching towards Lisburn and Belfast North towards Newtonabbey which will have obvious knock on effects. The commission cant take into account demographic political concerns to maintain balance, they just got to expand the population by attaching adjacent wards.

The previous proposals could have been 2 SF - 1 DUP, but the abolishment of Belfast South and Belfast East absorbing Ormeau and losing Dundonald would scrape down the margins to make it a lot together fight between the DUP and Alliance (why Alliance probably ultimately didn't mind a three seat layout).

I don't really see it as a gerrymander rather than a retreat from something overly ambitious and anyone knows that in NI anything approaching ambitious gets thrown in the bin right quickly.

The idea of the boundary commission's independence affording it any kind of political neutrality in reality is preposterous. Up here we've got a status quo that we've literally never had before where the government of the United Kingdom is dependant upon a closeted sectarian political party who have openly opposed not just the Good Friday Agreement and St Andrew's but the concept of power-sharing itself. This is the party who, upon seeing the more representative plan published in 2016 before the British government became dependant upon the DUP, sneered on Twitter "We'll see about that!" Now the new proposal of the commission bares scant resemblance to their previous publication and is virtually identical to that promoted by the DUP itself. The claim the commission has not been prejudiced against it's own purpose by the DUP's relationship with the Conservative Party is utterly insane.

The "Dungiven thing" is not weird - it's the entire point of the proposal. Nationalists are reassuring themselves that the DUP's arrogance in this action will have voters flocking to them, but it won't make any difference because this guts their voting power. The entire purpose of this redrawing of boundaries is to safeguard Unionist primacy in government against the natural rise in the population of Nationalist communities. It is gerrymandering of the most cynical, opportunistic and evil variety. If Nationalists and Unionists were separated by skin colour this would be an international outrage. As we are merely separated by history, culture and political philosophy the people who should be sympathetic to this scandal are excusing themselves from involvement.

The idea that a little town of 3,000 people that skews massively Nationalist and neighbours Unionist areas benefits from being split into 3 is just bare-faced lying. I suppose the guy running the pub just feels that differently from the lady round the corner in the post office.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Nilbop posted:

The idea of the boundary commission's independence affording it any kind of political neutrality in reality is preposterous. Up here we've got a status quo that we've literally never had before where the government of the United Kingdom is dependant upon a closeted sectarian political party who have openly opposed not just the Good Friday Agreement and St Andrew's but the concept of power-sharing itself. This is the party who, upon seeing the more representative plan published in 2016 before the British government became dependant upon the DUP, sneered on Twitter "We'll see about that!" Now the new proposal of the commission bares scant resemblance to their previous publication and is virtually identical to that promoted by the DUP itself. The claim the commission has not been prejudiced against it's own purpose by the DUP's relationship with the Conservative Party is utterly insane.

The "Dungiven thing" is not weird - it's the entire point of the proposal. Nationalists are reassuring themselves that the DUP's arrogance in this action will have voters flocking to them, but it won't make any difference because this guts their voting power. The entire purpose of this redrawing of boundaries is to safeguard Unionist primacy in government against the natural rise in the population of Nationalist communities. It is gerrymandering of the most cynical, opportunistic and evil variety. If Nationalists and Unionists were separated by skin colour this would be an international outrage. As we are merely separated by history, culture and political philosophy the people who should be sympathetic to this scandal are excusing themselves from involvement.

The idea that a little town of 3,000 people that skews massively Nationalist and neighbours Unionist areas benefits from being split into 3 is just bare-faced lying. I suppose the guy running the pub just feels that differently from the lady round the corner in the post office.

See I'm not quite sure how the Dungiven split grants anyone significant political advantage, its a bad move because its exactly the kind of thing boundary commissions should not be doing in terms of respecting respecting the integrity of towns etc. The initial proposals reconfigured west Tyrone, Mid Ulster and East Derry in such way the new constituencies would be safe nationalist by virtue of drawing the new Glenshane boundary right on the the edge of Coleraine lopping it off of East Derry and pushing it East while splitting Mid Ulster up, driving up the population in the Unionist heartland of North Antrim and pushing it to three seats as opposed to two - effectively not changing the balance of power on a seat level

The SDLPs proposal for East Derry like the DUPs sought to preserve Coleraine's western hinterlands and trimmed out the Dungiven wards to Mid Ulster to balance the population target (likewise the DUP proposed pushing the two main Dungiven wards into a new constituency of Sperrin rather than spread them between sperate constituencies and maintain Limavady with Coleraine in a single seat).

Again the most contentious changes where the balance of power would be effected and a Unionist majority lost would be the reduction of Belfast into three seats, something the SDLP also opposed on the grounds the current Belfast constituencies carry 3.5 quotas under the new system and population growth is likely to push that up into four in the not too distant future regardless.

Also the initial proposals decision to split Dungannon across two constituencies, moving a chunk of the population out of F&ST into a new seat spanning from Craigavon to Dunnganon and up to Coalisland - personally I think linking Coalisland and Dungannon into one seat makes a good deal of sense (though moving one third of Dungannon town into a seperate constituency is weird). That was expected to be an SF/Unionist marginal what with Coalisland butting it more Unionist friendly territory with SF having an edge (their second pick up on the initial proposals).

But again the revised proposals reverse that and keeps Dungannon in F&ST, a seat that's becoming increasingly less Unionist with population shifts - surely a full gerrymander would have accepted the new constituency and lopped off Dungannon but sought the exclusion of Coalisland to secure a solid Unionist win?

Edit: for example looking at the SDLP proposal coalisland would have been pushed into F&ST to cover expanding the mid ulster northwards to Limavady - essentially maintaining equilibrium in terms of electoral results and a fundamental rejection of one of the big changes in the initial proposal.

kustomkarkommando fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Mar 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

kustomkarkommando posted:

See I'm not quite sure how the Dungiven split grants anyone significant political advantage,

It splits a nationalist town in 3 and dilutes it's voting power over 3 constituencies. This is literally replicated all over the DUP's proposed map, and is so obviously sectarian I'm honestly staggered you're feigning ignorance on it.

If you divide something into three, you weaken it's power into thirds. This is not an accident.

The idea that rather than reflecting the makeup of the city Belfast should expand out into other constituencies is both nonsensical and impractical. Worse, it's brazenly there to placate the DUP. The idea that the city with a population of majority Nationalists would be governed by a grossly disproportionate 3-1 Loyalist minority is something only the most dishonest person could possibly advocate for.

quote:

its a bad move because its exactly the kind of thing boundary commissions should not be doing in terms of respecting respecting the integrity of towns etc. The initial proposals reconfigured west Tyrone, Mid Ulster and East Derry in such way the new constituencies would be safe nationalist by virtue of drawing the new Glenshane boundary right on the the edge of Coleraine lopping it off of East Derry and pushing it East while splitting Mid Ulster up, driving up the population in the Unionist heartland of North Antrim and pushing it to three seats as opposed to two - effectively not changing the balance of power on a seat level

It is a bad move because it is cannibalizing a town for the purpose of political gain. The commission are specifically reflecting the Democratic Unionist Party's wishes in breaking up several Nationalist communities.

quote:

The SDLPs proposal for East Derry like the DUPs sought to preserve Coleraine's western hinterlands and trimmed out the Dungiven wards to Mid Ulster to balance the population target (likewise the DUP proposed pushing the two main Dungiven wards into a new constituency of Sperrin rather than spread them between sperate constituencies and maintain Limavady with Coleraine in a single seat).

I'm saying this as a lifelong SDLP voter - the SDLP are a minority party and not representative of the Nationalist community's views. I rather imagine you know this but continue to reference them anyway. There's a reason why I'm not basing my arguement off the statements made by the UUP, who are not in power and represent very few Loyalists, as opposed to the DUP who represent almost all of them.

quote:

Again the most contentious changes where the balance of power would be effected and a Unionist majority lost would be the reduction of Belfast into three seats, something the SDLP also opposed on the grounds the current Belfast constituencies carry 3.5 quotas under the new system and population growth is likely to push that up into four in the not too distant future regardless.

The most contentious to the DUP, because it accurately reflected the population of the city of Belfast and would reduce their elected officials there to a 2-1 minority. Their counter-proposal would have a nationalist city governed by a 3-1 Loyalist majority.

quote:

Also the initial proposals decision to split Dungannon across two constituencies, moving a chunk of the population out of F&ST into a new seat spanning from Craigavon to Dunnganon and up to Coalisland - personally I think linking Coalisland and Dungannon into one seat makes a good deal of sense (though moving one third of Dungannon town into a seperate constituency is weird). That was expected to be an SF/Unionist marginal what with Coalisland butting it more Unionist friendly territory with SF having an edge (their second pick up on the initial proposals).

Dungannon was never going to be split across 2 constituencies - Mid-Ulster outright lost it to Upper Bann & Blackwater. Under the DUP's proposal it is to be split between four constituencies.

All of this aside, I'm honestly shocked that you can try and defend a proposal that is so obviously dictated by one political party. This is almost verbatim the proposal of the DUP, and obviously a reflection of their then-influence on the wobbly Tory government. Unless you were a DUP hardliner yourself I'm legitimately astounded you'd attempt to defend a brazen case of gerrymandering.

• Locked thread