Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

XIII posted:

Parkway Drive released a new one and, LOfuckingL, the video is extra cornball, even by -core standards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uwyvvxNvqQ

Yeah I feel solid about having written these guys off when I heard IRE. There’s always the old stuff at least. Jesus Christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Disclaimer: I never really got into Parkway Drive in the first place (like a few songs here and there). But they sound ridiculously like Rammstein or something in that single.

Cheapsteaks
Apr 25, 2008

Getting a heavy metal avatar leads to far fewer regrets than a heavy metal tattoo.
Those are some Numa Numa Guy level facial contortions goin on there.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

gently caress, I totally forgot about IRE because it was so bad. Atlas and Deep Blue were so good.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

XIII posted:

gently caress, I totally forgot about IRE because it was so bad. Atlas and Deep Blue were so good.

Everything before IRE is solid, but man, they really lost it afterwards. Such a shame (except for their bank accounts, I guess).

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I’d hate current PWD less if they had changed the band name after Atlas. They turned into an arena bro rock band. And that’s fine. But you’re a different band now. Kind of like the audacity of In Flames using the same name today as they did when they cracked off Jester Race, Whoracle and Colony. Not my band not my call but lol, for sure change it.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Funny, I just listened to Deep Blue the other day. Album still loving rips. The one-two punch of Deep Blue and Atlas :allears:

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Horizons is their best album imo

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

Dango Bango posted:

I never really got into Parkway Drive in the first place

Oh good, it's not just me. But yeah, that new video is a cringefest hoo boy.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
i fell in love with them after hearing this song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aekRgV9PFv0

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

kumba posted:

Horizons is their best album imo

Horizons is solid. I tend to forget about it and Killing With A Smile (although I'm a sucker for Romance is Dead), but neither of them are bad by any stretch

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

XIII posted:

*not for the ShoogaSlim of heart

:')

60 Hertz Jig
May 21, 2006
Basically Erra without cleans:
https://youtu.be/o7bEReKPVa0

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Wamsutta posted:

I’d hate current PWD less if they had changed the band name after Atlas. They turned into an arena bro rock band. And that’s fine. But you’re a different band now. Kind of like the audacity of In Flames using the same name today as they did when they cracked off Jester Race, Whoracle and Colony. Not my band not my call but lol, for sure change it.

[in 2001 voice] cave in should have just changed their name before putting out 'jupiter'!

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.
Boys, don’t ignore this debut from Eternal Void out today on THR. I was into the prereleases they put up, and the full tape does not disappoint. Strong leader in the clubhouse for my AotY 2018. Maybe not for everyone but so far up my alley it got mugged. If you’ve ever liked anything I’ve recommended (I turned the thread on to Polaris last year, for example) then definitely check this poo poo out.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Someone turned me on to the latest offering from Rolo Tomassi and I'm impressed.

If BTBAM were a post-rock band with a female vocalist, this is what it would sound like I think

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

kumba posted:

Someone turned me on to the latest offering from Rolo Tomassi and I'm impressed.

If BTBAM were a post-rock band with a female vocalist, this is what it would sound like I think

Their last two albums are absolutely amazing. I'm really hoping they come back to the US on tour soon.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of which,

:siren: new BTBAM is out :siren:

e: also a video for Millions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fye2KREpeJQ

kumba fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Mar 9, 2018

The Dirtyness
Sep 13, 2007

kumba posted:

Speaking of which,

:siren: new BTBAM is out :siren:

e: also a video for Millions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fye2KREpeJQ

Digging the new EP/album/whatever for the most part. Gives me a Great Misdirect kind of vibe. Yellow Eyes is definitely the best track. It's a bummer we have to wait a couple months for the second half though. It feels incomplete when it abruptly stops at the end of Blot.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

XIII posted:

I'm seeing them in a few weeks and I'm already planning to use STYG's set as time to recover from Counterparts, drink some beers, and get ready to get back into it for Architects. Having a middle act that you don't care for is actually pretty ideal.

Ended up just staying in the poo poo for the entire show and it was well worth. With the exception of a small handful of tracks, I've always been pretty "meh" toward STYG, but their live show did a solid job of winning me over. I'm gonna give a couple albums another shot and see if they click.

Architects loving destroyed the show. Easily one of the best bands in the -core scene right now.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

XIII posted:

Architects loving destroyed the show. Easily one of the best bands in the -core scene right now.

Right now and for as long as I've known about them. Whenever the discussion of how terrible -core lyrics are comes up, I always cite Naysayer as my favorite song lyrics ever. That poo poo is anthemic. ShoogaSlim can't stop me from giving a gently caress. Blechgh!

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Real talk, I'm interested in discussing the progression of metalcore.

When I was younger, bands like Unearth, Caliban, It Dies Today, etc were influenced by bands like At the Gates, In Flames, and other Swedish melodic death metal mixed with hardcore chug-grooves and breakdowns. You have Shadows Fall and All that Remains (Phil sang on Somber Eyes to the Sky) and Killswitch Engage which started as metalcore and then went more buttrock and tried to fill stadiums and whatever.

Today, you have Architects and August Burns Red at the forefront of modern metalcore, and it's hard to pinpoint where there influences come from. I think Meshuggah and djent started becoming a bigger influence on metalcore after kids got burned out on sweeping riffs and poo poo. It became more mechanical-feeling when bands like A Life Once Lost released A Great Artist. When After the Burial, and Born of Osiris started playing more overly produced stuff, metalcore went into a totally different direction.

I like bands from all different subgenres (mostly), but I'd like to see a resurgence of metalcore that sounds like The Mark of the Judas, Heaven Shall Burn's Iconoclast, and endthisday's Sleeping Beneath the Ashes of Creation. I'm not even sure who Architects, Texas in July, or Erra are influenced by, and that makes it harder to connect with their sound.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
just listen to early Cave In

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Another new PWD single. New album May 4th

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAY2bCmm8e0

I could live with it if it wasn't for the screamy singing voice he's transitioned to.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Tim Whatley posted:

Another new PWD single. New album May 4th

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAY2bCmm8e0

I could live with it if it wasn't for the screamy singing voice he's transitioned to.

Came to post this. At this point, I don't know if I'll even bother with the new album.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

ShoogaSlim posted:

When After the Burial, and Born of Osiris started playing more overly produced stuff, metalcore went into a totally different direction.

I'm not smart enough to guess anyone's influences, but yo, if you love the AtB/BoO brand of overly produced stuff as much as I do, be sure not to miss Crystal Lake. They snuck an extremely badass release out under the radar at the tail end of 2016 that I slept on until just a few months ago. Play this and get a load of that outro from about @3:47 or so:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvJQ1pFBi8A

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

XIII posted:

Came to post this. At this point, I don't know if I'll even bother with the new album.

How can you have been considering bothering with it after IRE, lol

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Wamsutta posted:

How can you have been considering bothering with it after IRE, lol

Like I said, IRE was literally so bad I think I repressed it. If you'd asked me a month ago what their last album was, I would have said Atlas with all the confidence in the world.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Have they gone full nu metal yet lmao

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Bape Culture posted:

Have they gone full nu metal yet lmao

Not even close. Arena rock band with singalong choruses, occasional harsh vocals and less occasional breakdowns

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

We were so close with that one rap core song. Dammit

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
They're pretty much just Five Finger Death Punch now. God, this is so bad.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Eight Is Legend posted:

They're pretty much just Five Finger Death Punch now. God, this is so bad.

I think All that Remains has actually become FFDP. They are indistinguishably terrible in both music and ideologies. MAGACore.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

XIII posted:

Parkway Drive released a new one and, LOfuckingL, the video is extra cornball, even by -core standards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uwyvvxNvqQ

What the gently caress. I stopped keeping up with new stuff for a while cause I was being lazy and I come back to this? What the hell happened to PWD?? I was just jamming to Horizons the other day.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Traitorous Leopard posted:

What the gently caress. I stopped keeping up with new stuff for a while cause I was being lazy and I come back to this? What the hell happened to PWD?? I was just jamming to Horizons the other day.

Oh, sweet child, I have bad news

Ninja edit: just pretend they broke up after Atlas

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

https://twitter.com/lambgoat/status/974016275079864321
:what:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Uhhh excuse me sir but Unearth loving owns.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Uhhh excuse me sir but Unearth loving owns.

Yeah, they do. That’s why it’s such a fuckin bummer to see them sign onto a megacorp bad label full of bad bands who all sound the same and bad.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Beelzebozo posted:

Yeah, they do. That’s why it’s such a fuckin bummer to see them sign onto a megacorp bad label full of bad bands who all sound the same and bad.

They're all owned by like the same 3 companies anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Since seeing them on Sunday, I've been going back through older Architects. gently caress, Hollow Crown is so much better than I ever gave it credit. The Here and Now is their weakest album by a million miles, but I've given it a couple spins and it's not terrible if you just pretend it's a different band.