Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
You, a dumbass: lmao what the gently caress Bungie why did you remove modifiers from the normal nightfall? 1 step forward 2 steps back!

Me, an intellectual: actually the modifiers are Trickle and Juggler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

You, a dumbass: lmao what the gently caress Bungie why did you remove modifiers from the normal nightfall? 1 step forward 2 steps back!

:golfclap:

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Lol :iceburn:

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
What's funny is that the normal nightfall being boring bullet sponge poo poo while the prestige (330) nightfall has the perhaps fun modifiers means that to play the fun one you need to have the DLC hahah. This is obviously intentional and there's a reason they didn't highlight the distinction in their advance press.

Bungie sucks rear end.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Me a dumbass: I preordered Destiny 2.

You, an intellectual: I have got all my D2 entertainment value for free from ABGD's posts.

Last_Taste
Feb 13, 2012

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Dammit, I can't even laugh at this.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

So I am basically at the mercy of the RNG to max out at 335? Right now I need exactly one point - my chest is only 334. But everything drops at 324 max except for the handful of fancy engrams I get each week. Even the exotic engrams only open at 329. So I'm just waiting for one of my weekly engrams to drop a 330 chest? I've heard you guys talking about how zones will sometimes drop 330 gear, and I'm guessing I need to be maxed before then, and ugh. Most of my guns are still 324, and this week I got mostly 330 power weapons that no one wants. :(

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Phenotype posted:

So I am basically at the mercy of the RNG to max out at 335? Right now I need exactly one point - my chest is only 334. But everything drops at 324 max except for the handful of fancy engrams I get each week. Even the exotic engrams only open at 329. So I'm just waiting for one of my weekly engrams to drop a 330 chest? I've heard you guys talking about how zones will sometimes drop 330 gear, and I'm guessing I need to be maxed before then, and ugh. Most of my guns are still 324, and this week I got mostly 330 power weapons that no one wants. :(

Pretty much. The fancy engrams are supposed to be your main path to increasing your power.

If you get an item you don't want to use but it's higher light than anything else you have for that slot, don't trash it. The game calculates the power of drops based on the highest power you could reach by any combination of gear you own even if it's not equipped, so keep it in your inventory or vault somewhere until it's superseded by something more useful.

Vendors don't sell 330 stuff until you're already at 330 yourself.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Phenotype posted:

welcome to RNG hell

the good news is you've got like 7 powerful engrams/week to get one.

guild XP, flashpoint, call to arms, nightfall, 3x heroics, guild nightfall, guild crucible.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Phenotype posted:

Luckily for you there is absolutely no reason to care about being 335 so play the game because you actually just like playing it or stop if your only goal was to get maxed

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

What's funny is that the normal nightfall being boring bullet sponge poo poo while the prestige (330) nightfall has the perhaps fun modifiers means that to play the fun one you need to have the DLC hahah. This is obviously intentional and there's a reason they didn't highlight the distinction in their advance press.

Bungie sucks rear end.

Good, it's not like the new PvP maps were pulled out of Iron Banner because of whiny people who don't have the DLC and also don't play the game

Lock everything cool behind the DLC like Y2/3 D1 I don't give a gently caress

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
So, I got all three of the new faction AR's last week and I have to admit they are all pretty loving great.

The DO veist one is my favorite so far, and it's just a sub-machine gun with rock-solid stability and the AR tag for sweet Titan chest synergy.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
Who won the faction rally

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
we all won the faction rally because of the friends we made

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

deadwing posted:

Good, it's not like the new PvP maps were pulled out of Iron Banner because of whiny people who don't have the DLC and also don't play the game

Lock everything cool behind the DLC like Y2/3 D1 I don't give a gently caress

I'm fine with NEW stuff going behind the dlc paywall but not being able to play the revamped fun nightfall at least on vanilla strikes is some bullshit imho.

It's weird how some games manage to seamlessly integrate new DLC content and some use every shady trick in the book to try and paywall players.

I think destiny 2 just needs engagement right now, so telling players who didn't get the DLC (which is bad) "don't come back yet" is kinda dumb imho.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

THE BIG DOG DADDY posted:

Who won the faction rally

new monarchy, which I believe was the consensus good one.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
So how does the new basic nightfall work? Orbit if you die?

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Chilichimp posted:

So how does the new basic nightfall work? Orbit if you die?

No. Normal nightfall is just like an even more heroic strike. No mods or weird stuff. (who thought this would be fun?)

If you beat normal you get cards that let you mod the prestige version (330 light so effectively DLC locked). One of the cards is the old "to orbit" modifier. Active cards give you a score multiplier.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

No. Normal nightfall is just like an even more heroic strike. No mods or weird stuff. (who thought this would be fun?)

If you beat normal you get cards that let you mod the prestige version (330 light so effectively DLC locked). One of the cards is the old "to orbit" modifier. Active cards give you a score multiplier.

Man, that just sounds tedious and stupid.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Supposedly the prestige nightfall with enough mods active is pretty fun? Who knows.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Supposedly the prestige nightfall with enough mods active is pretty fun? Who knows.

Certainly not YOU, mr no DLC haver guy. :suicide::hf::suicide:

edit: fixed VVV

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Feb 28, 2018

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
I thought the fast firing pulse from DO looked good

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Chilichimp posted:

Certainly not YOU, mr no DLC haver guy. :smug::hf::suicide:

I have the DLC

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

I have the DLC

okay, hold up, I'll fix it.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Dick Lickin' Chops

Make everything good gated behind dlc. Bungie needs to quit trying to appease non paying customers at the expense of us noble whales. I've never seen any of the crucible maps I paid for in Curse(?) of Osiris

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Dick Lickin' Chops

Make everything good gated behind dlc. Bungie needs to quit trying to appease non paying customers at the expense of us noble whales. I've never seen any of the crucible maps I paid for in Curse(?) of Osiris

Uh isn't there a special playlist just for the money havers?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Uh isn't there a special playlist just for the money havers?

Yeah, which is exactly the opposite of how it should be.

D1, which we may recall was Good, had all the normal playlists gated behind DLC. If you didn't have the DLC, you had to go play in the gay baby jail playlist. The playlist for nonDLC was bad, and the playlist for DLC was good, which made buying the DLC a good thing

D2, which is often considered Bad, offers the normal playlists for everybody and you have to go to a playlist with a population of 69 total people if you want to experience the stuff you paid for. The playlist for nonDLC is good, and the playlist for DLC is bad, which makes buying the DLC a bad thing

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

FishBulb posted:

Luckily for you there is absolutely no reason to care about being 335 so play the game because you actually just like playing it or stop if your only goal was to get maxed

Except like I mentioned, I'd like to get to 335 so vendors and random drops will go up to 330 and I might finally be able to upgrade my 329 MIDA or all the other guns I actually use that have been stuck around that level forever.

But yeah, maybe just stop playing until the next expansion is the best bet.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Yeah I agree the D1 version was better but ce la vie

It's almost as if for a super streamlined approach the best solution would be a single playlist that seamlessly plops you into maps based on the amount of content you own. But I understand a small independent studio might have trouble setting that up.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

the D1 version was better but ce la vie

next DLC title leaked

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I would hate to be the guy that has to show the player numbers over time

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

moist turtleneck posted:

I would hate to be the guy that has to show the player numbers over time

I dunno, being a lawyer and living in Seattle is probably fun.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

limaCAT posted:

I get all my D2 entertainment value for free from ABGD's whining.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Yeah, which is exactly the opposite of how it should be.

D1, which we may recall was Good, had all the normal playlists gated behind DLC. If you didn't have the DLC, you had to go play in the gay baby jail playlist. The playlist for nonDLC was bad, and the playlist for DLC was good, which made buying the DLC a good thing

D2, which is often considered Bad, offers the normal playlists for everybody and you have to go to a playlist with a population of 69 total people if you want to experience the stuff you paid for. The playlist for nonDLC is good, and the playlist for DLC is bad, which makes buying the DLC a bad thing

Something really weird happened with D2, where people got extremely loving angry that you have to buy the expansions to keep up with the MMO shooter game.

I don't recall this ever being a problem in Destiny 1, stuff was locked behind Dark Below and House of Wolves and it was fine, but with D2 suddenly it was A Thing That Made People Angry. I still don't understand it. Granted, Curse of Osiris is a terrible DLC, but still.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Because rather than taking away slices of existing content (nightfall if an expansion strike, raid if the weekly featured) they tried to take away the entire nightfall or prestige raid.

Then they tried to lock the factions behind the expansion.

Also the expansion sucked rear end.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Wasn't Iron Banner always locked behind the latest expansion in D1?

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

VJeff posted:

Wasn't Iron Banner always locked behind the latest expansion in D1?

Yeah and people complained a bit about that.

If you remember that the last couple of destiny 1 expansions were actually really loving good then the recent phenomenon of being butthurt about content lockout makes way more sense.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Certain things (Eververse, content lockout) are less forgivable when the base game is bad and the expansion is anemic

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Because rather than taking away slices of existing content (nightfall if an expansion strike, raid if the weekly featured) they tried to take away the entire nightfall or prestige raid.

Then they tried to lock the factions behind the expansion.

Also the expansion sucked rear end.

Also the amount of stuff that was there even in vanilla was pretty anemic and uninteresting, and they wanted you to drop bucks for more boring garbage that didn't even meaningfully change what was there before. It wasn't paying money to advance, it was paying money to tread water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Certain things (Eververse, content lockout) are less forgivable when the base game is bad and the expansion is anemic

Yeah, this is a lot of it. No one is in a particularly forgiving mood and Reddit and the official forums are just a pure outrage contest now.