Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I didn't realize it would be so big. Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

...... gently caress.

Thanks.

Hey, you remembered Cryonis could lift the gate to the map pedestal, that puts you ahead of probably half the folks who play this game. It's not something used often.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

There wouldn’t happen to be a Zora Hood that goes with the rest of the Zora Armor to complete the set, would there? I wanna grab that before I leave for my next stop.

Bruceski posted:

Hey, you remembered Cryonis could lift the gate to the map pedestal, that puts you ahead of probably half the folks who play this game. It's not something used often.

That actually took me a few minutes to remember but yeah.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

There is, but it's a bit of a puzzle to figure out. Read the stone tablet in the back of the Zora sleeping quarters and try to fill in the gaps.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

I'm amazed that this still isn't patched out.

The Guardians around the Hyrule Castle Town Ruins are particularly vulnerable to this. Just stasis them from afar and you can cheese your way to the castle gate.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

I mean, this is a good game, and I like it so far, it’s just... not Zelda.
Personally, for me it feels more like the original Legend of Zelda than any game ever has. When Sonic Mania came out, it was mentioned that it wasn't actually Sonic game just like the best old ones, it was a game that feels like how you remember the old ones. BotW is the same for me, it's captured same feeling I got in 1987 when I popped that gold cartridge in and just got dropped into an open world to find my own way.

I will definitely agree that it doesn't feel like any Zelda game that came after Link to the Past though... Except maybe Link Between Worlds, that had a glimmer of BotWs disdain for linearity.

Robot Hobo fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Feb 27, 2018

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
I agree that BotW feels like my first experience Ocarina of Time when I was somewhere around 13 years old. That game felts as big and as open as BotW does now because there was nothing else remotely like it at the time. Of course, in retrospect, OoT is tiny compared to modern games and it hasn't aged particularly well, IMO, but to my younger self it was enormous.

BotW took some Zelda conventions and wrapped them into physics sandbox with superb design decisions. There will be a host of other games that come after that will be grander, with more QoL improvements and more plot/story but BotW is likely going to age really well because so much is player-driven. My second playthrough was nothing like my first and even though I know most of where to go and what to do, I've still only physically encountered perhaps 30% of the map. There's still a ton to see and explore.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

https://youtu.be/dXk5fY8ub_w

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Hahahaah holy poo poo this game

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Fukkin' lol I love seeing stuff like that

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

FooF posted:

BotW took some Zelda conventions and wrapped them into physics sandbox with superb design decisions. There will be a host of other games that come after that will be grander, with more QoL improvements and more plot/story but BotW is likely going to age really well because so much is player-driven. My second playthrough was nothing like my first and even though I know most of where to go and what to do, I've still only physically encountered perhaps 30% of the map. There's still a ton to see and explore.

Is there a reason to do different playthroughs, as opposed to endlessly exploring on one save file? I'm on my first runthrough and at the moment, I can't really imagine finishing and starting over from scratch. Of course, I mainly play it on my train commute to/from the office, so the slow-going might be the difference there.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

That actually took me a few minutes to remember but yeah.

Good work. Half the times you will get stuck in the game, the answer can be solved by thinking about each of your rules and how you might apply them to the problem.

edit: For the record, i had totally forgotten cryonis by the time I got to vah ruta, so I brute forced it by stasis'ing the gate, and spin attacaking it with a sledgehammer to make it fly up into the wall. Took a few tries, but it worked :pseudo:

ROJO fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Feb 27, 2018

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

effervescible posted:

Is there a reason to do different playthroughs, as opposed to endlessly exploring on one save file? I'm on my first runthrough and at the moment, I can't really imagine finishing and starting over from scratch. Of course, I mainly play it on my train commute to/from the office, so the slow-going might be the difference there.

The only real reason is if you want to start Master Mode

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I mean, you can't do the Divine Breasts over again or the obliterator trials or anything, so I certainly see value in restarting. Also just trying things in different ways/ different order. I haven't restarted yet, though, and when I do it will be with a new user account. I'm certainly not going to get all the seeds twice!

Leaving that autocorrect where it is.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah when I started over I did Rito village before any other divine beasts for obvious reasons.

I guess there’s stuff like that. I also didn’t think of the divine beasts because they’re one of the last things I’d want to go back to

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

ROJO posted:

edit: For the record, i had totally forgotten cryonis by the time I got to vah ruta, so I brute forced it by stasis'ing the gate, and spin attacaking it with a sledgehammer to make it fly up into the wall. Took a few tries, but it worked :pseudo:

lmao I should be less surprised this works. This game is ridiculous in its ability to let the player think through multiple strategies

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Maker Of Shoes posted:

lmao I should be less surprised this works. This game is ridiculous in its ability to let the player think through multiple strategies

I also did this the first time lol. I realized about the water when it was time to get out of the room.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I am slowly resigning myself to the fact that I will be asking more questions in this thread than I initially expected. Like, a lot more.

So in the Ceremonial Song shrine quest, what bridge did the Zora drop the fake trident off of? He didn’t specify when I talked to him.

Also which divine beast is best to head to after Vah Ruta? The one near the Ritos, right? In the northwest?

EDIT: gently caress it, might as well ask this too as long as I’m in here pissing everyone off. Is there a great fairy in Lanayru Province?

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Feb 27, 2018

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Nothing is best. Do. What. You. Want.

There are tradeoffs for everything.

If your goal is merely to find useful powers, I find the Ruto one to be best and Goron to be worst, but that is far from a universal opinion.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

I am slowly resigning myself to the fact that I will be asking more questions in this thread than I initially expected. Like, a lot more.

So in the Ceremonial Song shrine quest, what bridge did the Zora drop the fake trident off of? He didn’t specify when I talked to him.

Also which divine beast is best to head to after Vah Ruta? The one near the Ritos, right? In the northwest?

EDIT: gently caress it, might as well ask this too as long as I’m in here pissing everyone off. Is there a great fairy in Lanayru Province?

Yeah, seriously, pretty much the entire point of this game is "wander round and find out". Talk to people, climb high things, tune your sensor to treasure chests or rare ore...

Trident: you can see metal things underwater with Magnesis

Beast: yeah, Vah Medoh has probably the most useful Divine Power, and while all the other 3 beasts have variously hostile environments round them the cold is the easiest to deal with.

And people in towns/stables will tell you about nearby fairies.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

In response to your first question, remember that the trident is made of metal.

And please, stop asking things and go explore. You can warp from shrine to shrine so backtracking takes 5 minutes at the most.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Please don’t. Go explore and figure poo poo out yourself.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

One more question. Whereabouts is Akkala? I thought I saw it on the map near Zora’s Domain, but I’m not seeing it anymore.

I’m trying to find that Robbie guy.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

One more question. Whereabouts is Akkala? I thought I saw it on the map near Zora’s Domain, but I’m not seeing it anymore.

I’m trying to find that Robbie guy.

Way up northeast.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
You may need to zoom in or out to see certain labels fyi

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Breath of the wild may not be your game, friend.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oh no he's playing the game wrong!!!!! Someone's gotta tell him quick

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Regy Rusty posted:

Oh no he's playing the game wrong!!!!! Someone's gotta tell him quick

People can do a disservice to themselves. It's worse to sit idly by than to try and help them not make a mistake.

If he's only got a week to live or something I'll apologize and tell him everything, but otherwise he'll probably be sorry later when there's nothing left to figure out and the experience is over prematurely.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I think you've made your point by now is all.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Regy Rusty posted:

I think you've made your point by now is all.

You're almost certainly right.

Some people take an awful lot of convincing, though.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The Bloop posted:

I mean, you can't do the Divine Breasts over again

Fuckin' A I can't, I'll do them all I want.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I don't know when I'll replay, but I do know that when I do, I won't cheese Eventide Island by killing the Hinox by smacking it around a lot with Magnesis and a metal crate.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Bongo Bill posted:

I don't know when I'll replay, but I do know that when I do, I won't cheese Eventide Island by killing the Hinox by smacking it around a lot with Magnesis and a metal crate.

I thought that's what you're supposed to do? The way I thought a bunch of people actually cheesed it was by tossing a bunch of OP weapons onto the shore before jumping off so they'd be there when the trial started. Your way seems like the only non-stealth way to get it done because the weapons aren't exactly great on the island

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.

GobiasIndustries posted:

I thought that's what you're supposed to do? The way I thought a bunch of people actually cheesed it was by tossing a bunch of OP weapons onto the shore before jumping off so they'd be there when the trial started. Your way seems like the only non-stealth way to get it done because the weapons aren't exactly great on the island

... huh. I just kinda assumed that as soon as you set foot on the island it would reset to a certain state, with the usual weapons and items around.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I could've done that too, but I wish to be legitimate about it next time. That means stealing the orb from the Hinox's necklace and hauling rear end to the final pedestal.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

GobiasIndustries posted:

I thought that's what you're supposed to do?
I always just land on top of the hinox and grab the orb before it wakes up.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
lol another one for the “how have I played this game this long without running across this” books - I finally found the big horse.

And uh...we’re all in agreement that Straia definitely had a Mr. Hands moment with the horse, right?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

For that thing I just stood up on a hill and chucked one million bombs at him. Took ages, but I realized when he failed to get out of the way of the first one he wasn't going to dodge the rest either.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
There are rusty weapons and an octorok on Eventide...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

The Bloop posted:

I also did this the first time lol. I realized about the water when it was time to get out of the room.

Yeah, chock me up as one of the guys who shot arrows at all ice blocks in the event to get into vah ruta.

Fortunately, I haven't had a moment like that in a long time.