Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/bethlehem/index.ssf/2018/02/lehigh_university_faculty_want.html

It's a degree from 1988, and not the first one to be revoked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
oh i'm a dumbass I thought it was the most recent one since he was elected, it never occurred to me that prior to 2016 that anyone would have taken trump seriously enough to give him poo poo like that

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Crakkerjakk posted:

I'll see your funny stoner clip and raise you with a vice article from 2016.

https://news.vice.com/article/the-us-keeps-mistakenly-deporting-its-own-citizens

I would put money on it having gotten worse.

The responses I've been wading through have shown that it, unfortunately, has. Have to find the humor in it somehow.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

mods change my name posted:

oh i'm a dumbass I thought it was the most recent one since he was elected, it never occurred to me that prior to 2016 that anyone would have taken trump seriously enough to give him poo poo like that

Honoraris causae degrees get handed out like candy to anybody who might make a sizeable donation to the university, or bring publicity.

So yeah a loudmouth “billionaire” is gonna get one.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Godholio posted:

When he comes back and starts biting people, it'll probably get some.

Read that as billing for a second and thought maybe he's gone underground like the A-Team, curing diseases before they start, if people need help, and can find him.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

FrozenVent posted:

Honoraris causae degrees get handed out like candy to anybody who might make a sizeable donation to the university, or bring publicity.

So yeah a loudmouth “billionaire” is gonna get one.

James Doohan (Scotty from original Star Trek) had an honorary Engineering degree, which sounds like the usual ho-hum sort of celebrity thing until you hear about how the idea actually came about. It's kind of sweet.

Apparently the university did a survey of engineering students, asking what their influences were. Some staggeringly high percentage of engineering students listed "Mr. Scott from Star Trek" as a huge reason they got into engineering, and the U figured that since they apparently had the guy to thank for all these people enrolling, the least they could do is award him an honorary degree in return. :yayclod:

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Looks like he had five, but now two have been revoked.

Lehigh University awarded him an honorary doctorate of laws in 1988 and is revoking it in 2018
Wagner College awarded an honorary doctorate of humane letters in 2004
Liberty University awarded a doctorate of business in 2012 and a doctorate in laws in 2017
Robert Gordon University of Scotland awarded him one in 2010 then revoked it when he said poo poo about banning muslims in 2015

Edit: To expand a bit on the lingerers: Wagner College is a private liberal arts college that seems to have a decent reputation as far as my google-fu is concerned, and Liberty University is Jerry Falwell's diploma mill. Isn't that the school where the school's brownshirts wander town and make sure you aren't drinking or watching PG-13 movies?

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Feb 28, 2018

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

citybeatnik posted:

The responses I've been wading through have shown that it, unfortunately, has. Have to find the humor in it somehow.

Yarp. If it weren't for black humor we'd have no humor at all, says I.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Mister Sinewave posted:

James Doohan (Scotty from original Star Trek) had an honorary Engineering degree, which sounds like the usual ho-hum sort of celebrity thing until you hear about how the idea actually came about. It's kind of sweet.

Apparently the university did a survey of engineering students, asking what their influences were. Some staggeringly high percentage of engineering students listed "Mr. Scott from Star Trek" as a huge reason they got into engineering, and the U figured that since they apparently had the guy to thank for all these people enrolling, the least they could do is award him an honorary degree in return. :yayclod:

That story owns.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

it really owns

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004
olololol '04 newb hurrrrrrr

shame on an IGA posted:

We all knew it was only a matter of time before some dumbass techbro started disrupting biology in the name of dick.

Verily, what are cancer and mrsa in the face of a potential optical inch

http://google.com/newsstand/s/CBIwoOemyjY

There's nothing quite so telling as "I haven't used a ruler or anything but my wife says it's huuuuge!" Plus, all the normal "results" that are promised from a gas station bathroom dispenser.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Mister Sinewave posted:

:unsmith: thanks for telling that story.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
lol

https://twitter.com/ParkerMolloy/status/968534082379550720?s=19

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Mister Sinewave posted:

That owns super hard. While I never gave enough of a gently caress scholastically to get into an engineering program, Scotty was still a huge reason I've always been into technical stuff.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Scotty owns and James Doohan got hit 6 loving times from a Bren gun on D-Day and came out missing a finger so he couldn't use it to flip off Shatner

He also literally saved a fan's life. She sent him a fan letter saying that she was going to commit suicide, and he wrote back making her promise to show up at the next convention. She did, and they spoke and he gave her a bunch of encouragement and he asked her the same thing, to show up at the next convention. This went on for several years and the woman ended up getting her master's degree in electronics engineering.

MA-Horus fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Feb 28, 2018

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Last night Dems flipped two more state seats that Trump won by bigly margins in 2016 — including one that has been held by the GOP for 40 years.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

Hilarious. Every political cartoon I've ever seen is somehow worse than the last one.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Dick’s will stop selling assault rifles and high capacity magazines, all other guns will be sold to people 21 years old and up.

https://nyti.ms/2EXS4wp

edit: Wal-Mart will stop selling AR-type weapons too.

bloops fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Feb 28, 2018

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I want to remind you guys this was a thing and it's beautiful

https://youtu.be/WZrNFgJeSOw

The Clinton line didn't age well but lmao

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

holocaust bloopers posted:

Dick’s will stop selling assault rifles and high capacity magazines, all other guns will be sold to people 21 years old and up.

This is nothing new.

NBC News in 2103 posted:

A national sporting goods company that suspended sales of assault rifles after the Newtown, Conn., shooting that cost 26 lives is now selling the type of gun the shooter used via a new and separate chain of specialty stores.

Dicks’ Sporting Goods issued a statement after the Dec. 14, 2012 shooting, in which Adam Lanza killed 20 students and six staff members at Sandy Hook Elementary School with a Bushmaster assault rifle, that it would suspend the sales of assault rifles.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

:capitalism:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Dick's only took ARs out of certain stores after Sandy Hook. Walmart pretended to do the same thing after Sandy Hook too.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

MA-Horus posted:

Scotty owns and James Doohan got hit 6 loving times from a Bren gun on D-Day and came out missing a finger so he couldn't use it to flip off Shatner

He also literally saved a fan's life. She sent him a fan letter saying that she was going to commit suicide, and he wrote back making her promise to show up at the next convention. She did, and they spoke and he gave her a bunch of encouragement and he asked her the same thing, to show up at the next convention. This went on for several years and the woman ended up getting her master's degree in electronics engineering.

This is really loving cool and I'm glad you posted it.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

holocaust bloopers posted:

can't wait for the MAGAs to shop at wal mart in anger while also boycotting it at the same time.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/968856971075051521?s=21

:chaostrump:

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Our special boy not understanding the role of an IG is no surprise though.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/968860631288963072

I dunno what's worse, the fact that they're arming teachers or that they're getting a single $500 bonus for more responsibility and maybe their only compensation for the training? I would assume that training would pay standard rates but this is Florida so I dunno how it works there

Hot Karl Marx fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Feb 28, 2018

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Jfc

We never learn the right lessons

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Do stand your ground laws work in a public school? I bet we find out in the next 3 years

Jokers Gamble
May 31, 2013
Guys, guys...

Maybe...

The answer is more guns!

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Hot Karl Marx posted:

I dunno what's worse, the fact that they're arming teachers or that they're getting a single $500 bonus for more responsibility and maybe their only compensation for the training? I would assume that training would pay standard rates but this is Florida so I dunno how it works there

This is depressing

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Do stand your ground laws work in a public school? I bet we find out in the next 3 years

Whole lotta kids with hoodies hanging around.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
RIP some kids. Sacrificed on the altar of stupidity in the name of more guns.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

psydude posted:

hanging around.

drat dude, that's hosed up.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Hot Karl Marx posted:

lmao just lmao

I always wonder how Rome fell, and now I get to watch a future re-enactment in real time

I wonder if vegas has an over/under on how many days for the first ND.

wonder how long till a teacher pulls or threatens a class room

wonder how long till a kid takes it

How are you gunna store the gun? In the school? at home?

What if someone lifts it

also, stress shooting lmao just lmao

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Meanwhile in Georgia, the state assembly voted to cut off Delta's tax incentives over Delta discontinuing the NRA discount.

Which is hilarious because it's a total cut your nose to spite your face move that I'm sure they didn't completely think through. You're either going to see Delta start pouring money into state races to get that incentive back next session, or other states smelling blood, will begin to offer Delta those incentives and then some if they move operations to their state.

Virginia's governor already made an "offer".
https://twitter.com/GovernorVA/status/968510566267531266

Oh and they were on the shortlist for Amazon's new headquarters. Pretty sure they can say goodbye to that too. Considering you're getting headlines like this now,

https://twitter.com/cnntech/status/968645675461283840

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

B b b but the free market

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Dick’s Facebook post comments on their announcement is a super fun read.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I bet Delta just shifts more flights to JFK or DTW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I don’t think a major international airline is able to just say “welp time to move our main hub” just like that. Enjoy subsidizing that as a taxpayer.

• Locked thread