Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Johnny Aztec posted:

Being able to maintain or repair your own stuff is an obsolete trend

I've noticed at work that fabricating even the simplest thing* yourself (unless it's loving 3D printing i.e. useless rubbish) is a completely foreign concept to all of the younger guys. The older Russian guys, however, are always hammering something out but, on the other hand, everything they build is poo poo and dangerous. I still can't get over the fact that they thought it was OK for the main fire exit to suddenly open inwards only in loving 2017.

*) I mean like if you have to mount something small like a sign or hand soap dispenser and there's no ready-made bracket, or if you need to slap together some protection for something shipped overseas if there's no crates on hand. 5-15-minute jobs because we do have tools, fasteners, and materials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

3D printing is great, having access to one is awesome when something retarded simple but impossible to find breaks. Last example I can think of was one of the plastic latches that held the deep freeze door in my freezer shut.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

3D printing is great, having access to one is awesome when something retarded simple but impossible to find breaks. Last example I can think of was one of the plastic latches that held the deep freeze door in my freezer shut.

We have access to CNC and plasma cutters and a whole bunch of poo poo i don't even know what they are. Also it takes literally ages to make anything on a printer. But for a home scenario like that, sure. Had I known someone with a 3D printer I wouldn't have had to buy a new toaster last year.

e: The new toaster is very stylish though so all in all I can't complain.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Jerry Cotton posted:

We have access to CNC and plasma cutters and a whole bunch of poo poo i don't even know what they are. Also it takes literally ages to make anything on a printer. But for a home scenario like that, sure. Had I known someone with a 3D printer I wouldn't have had to buy a new toaster last year.

pics or gtfo

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Johnny Aztec posted:

Being able to maintain or repair your own stuff is an obsolete trend

OTOH, with the trend shifting to successive generations doing worse economically than the generation that preceded them this might start going in the opposite direction out of necessity.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

That's a nice loving toaster.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Jerry Cotton posted:

3D printing is great if you need one-off plastic parts though, which in prototyping is like, a million percent of the time.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Jerry Cotton posted:

I've noticed at work that fabricating even the simplest thing* yourself (unless it's loving 3D printing i.e. useless rubbish) is a completely foreign concept to all of the younger guys. The older Russian guys, however, are always hammering something out but, on the other hand, everything they build is poo poo and dangerous. I still can't get over the fact that they thought it was OK for the main fire exit to suddenly open inwards only in loving 2017.

*) I mean like if you have to mount something small like a sign or hand soap dispenser and there's no ready-made bracket, or if you need to slap together some protection for something shipped overseas if there's no crates on hand. 5-15-minute jobs because we do have tools, fasteners, and materials.

Nothing is ever truly totaled in Russia.

Have a look here: https://autobotanik.livejournal.com/ - some are fairly tame, others are something else

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

My friend broke a piece off the 3d printer at their workplace and 3d printed a replacement instead of ordering one so they wouldn't get in trouble with their boss.

The future is now.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Krispy Wafer posted:

That's a nice loving toaster.

Acute Grill posted:

My friend broke a piece off the 3d printer at their workplace and 3d printed a replacement instead of ordering one so they wouldn't get in trouble with their boss.

The future is now.

I've seen plenty of 3d printers where the entire structural component was 3d-printed itself. Self-replication is coming!

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I've seen plenty of 3d printers where the entire structural component was 3d-printed itself. Self-replication is coming!

Until they can print the boards self replication will never truly arrive, and considering the difficulty in printing electronics I doubt self replicating 3d printers will come in the next 30 years.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Kwyndig posted:

Until they can print the boards self replication will never truly arrive, and considering the difficulty in printing electronics I doubt self replicating 3d printers will come in the next 30 years.

Is printing PCBs actually hard in some way? (Seriouspost I don't know I'm very much a wrought iron, copper, and CuNiFer man.)

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Kwyndig posted:

<3d prints a copy of Kwyndig>

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Let me know when a 3d printer can print a nozzle that maintains its structural integrity at the temperature the 3d printer extrudes at.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I've designed and printed a bunch of dumb poo poo that was either difficult to find, didn't exist, or fit a specific scenario. Not everything I've designed is mindblowing or anything, but it has improved my life in some way. I also have maybe double what's listed on Thingiverse as private designs for personal use that I'm not comfortable with someone else using, lest they criticize how dumb it is or whatever (laziness?). A 3D printer doesn't solve hunger or create world peace or anything, but it did let me save my portable washing machine from the trash and create a few no-longer-available ACVW parts (visor clips, ignition coil holders, window trim pieces, etc). And that's pretty cool.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Jabor posted:

Let me know when a 3d printer can print a nozzle that maintains its structural integrity at the temperature the 3d printer extrudes at.

A 3D printer could print a mold for the nozzle, theoretically.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gimme a knife and some wood and I can make about 100% of the stuff people have ed printed in 0.0001 the time.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ed printing. The future of the future.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Jerry Cotton posted:

Is printing PCBs actually hard in some way? (Seriouspost I don't know I'm very much a wrought iron, copper, and CuNiFer man.)

Not particularly. There are two models on the market right now, one is a derivative of a earlier Kickstarted printer and the other is a professional model (eg, very expensive and comes with a corporate support package.) They both essentially work by laying down a sheet of resin and using a conductive ink for the traces.

However the thing is, traditional PCB production is incredibly cheap. Like, IIRC it's only around $150 if you want to do a small batch run of 75 single/double sided boards. The Kickstarted PCB printer is about the same price for a material cartridge that does 25 4x4 boards and I'm sure the professional one costs even more. They're more of a thing for prototyping boards.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
3D printing is making huge waves in prosthetics, especially for kids since they grow out of them quickly.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Jerry Cotton posted:

Gimme a knife and some wood and I can make about 100% of the stuff people have ed printed in 0.0001 the time.

prints a hollow and airtight sphere

:smug:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I think I have the same one, it really is very good.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

pienipple posted:

3D printing is making huge waves in prosthetics, especially for kids since they grow out of them quickly.

Next stage: printing children, the squishy organic bits can be obselete.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Platystemon posted:

prints a hollow and airtight sphere

Make two half spheres, glue them together.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Jabor posted:

There's a German laser sintering machine that does metal.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
1: Buy a 3D printer
2: Print a 3D printer
3: Return the 3D printer

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Jabor posted:

You can 3D print steel.

People judge 3d printing by dinky hobby machines and completely miss how advanced professional 3D printing is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3CkzQQFZXs

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004
How expensive is custom CNC-ing of things like aluminium compared to 3D printing it? Having looked around briefly online it looks like setup costs for any CNC work is far higher that 3D printing, which is a bit of a killer for prototyping.

(Have been looking at making some vintage RC car parts from fancier materials than the usual selection of plastics)

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

legooolas posted:

How expensive is custom CNC-ing of things like aluminium compared to 3D printing it? Having looked around briefly online it looks like setup costs for any CNC work is far higher that 3D printing, which is a bit of a killer for prototyping.

(Have been looking at making some vintage RC car parts from fancier materials than the usual selection of plastics)

The exhaust tailpiece on the Koenigsegg Agera One:1 is 3D-printed from titanium and then hand-finished, because it's less expensive than setting up a traditional production process for such a low production run (7 cars total).

https://www.koenigsegg.com/details-koenigsegg-one1-exhaust-tailpiece/

KozmoNaut has a new favorite as of 14:05 on Feb 28, 2018

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Collateral Damage posted:

You can 3D print steel.

People judge 3d printing by dinky hobby machines and completely miss how advanced professional 3D printing is.

pretty amazing

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

It's worth mentioning the objects in the video are made without removing the workpiece from the machine. It automatically switches between printing heads and milling heads as instructed, so it can print part of the object, switch to the milling head to work/finish surfaces that might not be reachable on the completed object, then continue printing.

It means you can manufacture objects that are physically impossible to make as a single piece using traditional CNC methods.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

You can 3D print steel.

Mind blown :aaa:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

One of the predictions for 3D printing in 10 or 20 years is extremely cheap, open source clothing.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

This is true, and the hobby machines are pretty much a Fisher-Price hammer compared to a claw hammer.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

chitoryu12 posted:

One of the predictions for 3D printing in 10 or 20 years is extremely cheap, open source clothing.

Cheaper than the t-shirts I have made by Bangladeshi children in sweatshops?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

spog posted:

If you have the printer, the cost is basically just the fabric. Cotton costs about 70 to 80 cents a pound.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

chitoryu12 posted:

If you have the printer, the cost is basically just the fabric. Cotton costs about 70 to 80 cents a pound.

so I'll be saving like the 4 cents an hour per kid? I wonder how long until I break even..

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

spog posted:

Maybe I'm naive, but you never know how the international market looks in 20 years. Perhaps the political or economical situation in that time will make it viable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

You can 3D print steel.

pretty awesome, but i doubt deposited steel is nearly as strong as cast or forged. 3d printing is great for prototyping though.