Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Pilsner posted:

Maybe I'm naive, but you never know how the international market looks in 20 years. Perhaps the political or economical situation in that time will make it viable.

yes, bangledesh is just a powerhouse economy waiting to explode, invest now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ladron posted:

yes, bangledesh is just a powerhouse economy waiting to explode, invest now!

More reliable than bitcoins :v:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

LifeSunDeath posted:

pretty awesome, but i doubt deposited steel is nearly as strong as cast or forged. 3d printing is great for prototyping though.

They are actually finding that, with the proper toolpaths and deposition settings, you can get parts that are sometimes stronger in the axis that matter during part use versus machining from a cast or forged piece. I guess it's all about grain structure and pre-tensioned axis due to uneven cooling? As it is, a lot of jet engine blades are grown from a single crystal of metal for strength, but last year Siemens won an award from the ASME for using additive manufacturing (3D printing) to make turbine blades that were stronger in some aspects and cheaper to manufacture in others.

It's a crazy world.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

They are actually finding that, with the proper toolpaths and deposition settings, you can get parts that are sometimes stronger in the axis that matter during part use versus machining from a cast or forged piece. I guess it's all about grain structure and pre-tensioned axis due to uneven cooling? As it is, a lot of jet engine blades are grown from a single crystal of metal for strength, but last year Siemens won an award from the ASME for using additive manufacturing (3D printing) to make turbine blades that were stronger in some aspects and cheaper to manufacture in others.

It's a crazy world.

Ok that is rad as heck. Reminds me of the scifi series, Revelation Space, where nanobots coat starships and are constantly repairing stuff microscopically and can make complex crystal structures.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Platystemon posted:

prints a hollow and airtight sphere

:smug:

Yes well I can just buy a ball for very little money you know. (I once looked into a non-return valve and was rather surprised to find there was an actual Stiga-branded table tennis ball inside there. But of course there would be. [Not necessarily Stiga-branded but just a regular ping-pong ball anyway.])

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

One of the predictions for 3D printing in 10 or 20 years is extremely cheap, open source clothing.

We've already had that for probably more than a hundred years. You copy/borrow/download the patterns and then hit the Singer.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

chitoryu12 posted:

One of the predictions for 3D printing in 10 or 20 years is extremely cheap, open source clothing.

Bug report: librewear button-up dress shirt has a hood, complete with draw string.
Dev response: WONTFIX, this is intentional, I've upgraded the garment by incorporating the functionality of a hoodie.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Jerry Cotton posted:

We've already had that for probably more than a hundred years. You copy/borrow/download the patterns and then hit the Singer.

Yeah but that takes effort.

If I had a 3D printer and I could make custom clothes that fit me perfectly for less than a dollar per article from whatever fabric I got my hands on, I don't think I'd wear anything else. Imagine what historical reenactors could do, too!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

Imagine what historical reenactors could do, too!

Nazi officer uniform makers would all go out of business.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

If I had a 3D printer and I could make custom clothes that fit me perfectly for less than a dollar per article from whatever fabric I got my hands on, I don't think I'd wear anything else. Imagine what historical reenactors could do, too!

You could print your own dragon dildos and literally save tens of thousands of dollars you're currently spending on massive real scale dragon dildos.

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no

Jerry Cotton posted:

Nazi officer uniform makers would all go out of business.

It'd do more than just put Hugo Boss out of business...

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

chitoryu12 posted:

Oh Christ. No sooner something becomes a meme then people will be wearing hoodies and t-shirts with it on.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Oh man I'll be able to 3d print fresh underwear at work after I get out of a sweat-inducing meeting.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

With meme shirts in particular it feels like the turnaround is quick enough already that rapid prototyping isn't going to be the thing that finally pushes it into the area of insufferability.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Why/how would a 3D printer be able to produce perfectly fitting clothes anyway? Are you printing them on yourself?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Jerry Cotton posted:

Why/how would a 3D printer be able to produce perfectly fitting clothes anyway? Are you printing them on yourself?

No; you'd measure yourself then give those measurements to the printer. An alternative would be standing in a scanner that could get precise measurements then that would print clothes based on them.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Dick Trauma posted:

Oh man I'll be able to 3d print fresh underwear at work after I get out of a sweat-inducing meeting.

Yes.. same.. sweat.. yeah.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ToxicSlurpee posted:

No; you'd measure yourself then give those measurements to the printer.

That's not how you get perfectly fitting clothes.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
It is when you think you can 3d print clothes.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

...how do you guys think clothes are made?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Zenostein posted:

It is when you think you can 3d print clothes.

That'll be possible eventually.

chitoryu12 posted:

Clothing grows in the seaweed in the Pacific, right?

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

chitoryu12 posted:

Industrial milling.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Little children in the Philippines.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Can I 3D print jorts out of recycled fedoras with Tux on them, to wear when I'm honing my Hanzo steel?

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
I already have a machine to make clothes out of fabric, it's called my mom.

(Seriously though it *is* pretty cool being able to just find a fabric you like and not have to worry about finding the right fit and everything because that can be made.)

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Keiya posted:

I already have a machine to make clothes out of fabric, it's called my mom.

(Seriously though it *is* pretty cool being able to just find a fabric you like and not have to worry about finding the right fit and everything because that can be made.)

yr mom is just a 3d printer that made u

makes u think

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

3d prints your mom: bangs your 3d mom.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:

Tunicate posted:

yr mom is just a 3d printer that made u

makes u think

Further evidence that 3D printers still only make useless trash.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

An alternative would be standing in a scanner that could get precise measurements then that would print clothes based on them.

A full-body scanner setup probably isn't something every home will need, so hey, maybe that's a service that can set up shop at the dying mini-malls in your town. Go to the new Skans-A-Lot where the Blockbuster used to be, then get naked and do the standard poses in their bigass 3D scanner. They email you the data file, and you can now print perfectly-fitted custom clothes. Come back and get re-scanned after you gain a few pounds.

(And of course Skans-A-Lot will be completely trustworthy with your millimeter-scale 3D nudes. Completely trustworthy.)

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

They could use t-wave instead of forcing you to strip. Of course the equipment for that is expensive.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Ya know, a "3D printer for clothes" is called a loom. It's only been around for hundreds of years.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Pilsner posted:

Ya know, a "3D printer for clothes" is called a loom. It's only been around for hundreds of years.

Looms make fabric, not clothes.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I thought Looms made Time Lords.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Powered Descent posted:

A full-body scanner setup probably isn't something every home will need, so hey, maybe that's a service that can set up shop at the dying mini-malls in your town. Go to the new Skans-A-Lot where the Blockbuster used to be, then get naked and do the standard poses in their bigass 3D scanner. They email you the data file, and you can now print perfectly-fitted custom clothes. Come back and get re-scanned after you gain a few pounds.

(And of course Skans-A-Lot will be completely trustworthy with your millimeter-scale 3D nudes. Completely trustworthy.)

Obsolete tech: fitted clothes.

In the future, they will be balloon-shaped bags with drawstrings

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

spog posted:

Obsolete tech: fitted clothes.

In the future, they will be balloon-shaped bags with drawstrings

looking forward to spray on clothes
https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/shirt-in-a-can/n11190

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

DoctorWhat posted:

Lucasfilm Games made Loom

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

DoctorWhat posted:

Looms make prophecies about who needs killing.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jedit posted:

Looms make prophecies about who needs killing.

And swans.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Ok, Manuel, how many people has the swan told you to kill and where are the bodies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

tribbledirigible posted:

Ok, Manuel, how many people has the swan told you to kill and where are the bodies?

I thought that was pigeons that told Manny to kill.