Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

withak posted:

The X was to get people to pay $1000 to be beta testers.

Yep, and for our $1000 all we got was the best phone they've ever made. Bastards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
sux 2bu

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Yep, and for our $1000 all we got was the best phone they've ever made. Bastards.

Not sure how that's possible because it doesn't have a shiny chrome backside.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

xzzy posted:

Not sure how that's possible because it doesn't have a shiny chrome backside.

you can kiss my shiny chrome backside !!

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

if you paid that much for a galaxy note 8 you were ripped off.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
Imagine paying 1000 dollars for a non iphone

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Imagine buying a phone without a notch in 2018.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Question Mark Mound posted:

As much as the better screen would be nice, I think if the cheaper X-like model still has the same awesome dual-camera stuff going on, I can't see myself not going for that one.

Asking the big questions. That’s largely what made me switch to the X from the 8

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

carry on then posted:

if you paid that much for a galaxy note 8 you were ripped off.

Instead of having money burning a hole in your pocket, you could have a phone that does the same thing.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Imagine buying a phone without a notch in 2018.

Apparently a lot of people suddenly want a notch, even if there's no technical reason for it!
https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/2/28/17062030/iphone-x-clones-android-mwc-2018

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Doesn't doesn't bother me but I also don't think it's a plus. I get annoyed every time I see that Samsung ad where they're trying to make fun of the notch.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
The worst part it by far the home bar not disappearing.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

wait so was the S8 the one catching on fire or was that like the S8+ tablet version if that exists? I know they recalled them all then didn’t carriers stop supporting them at all?

Like are there any S8s out there did they fix all that or just scrap that generation? All I know is what I’ve read here

I mean I know one unit on fire is too many but how common was it? I think airlines banned them for a minute there? So lol

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The Note 8 IIRC. They disabled them all remotely.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The Note 8 IIRC. They disabled them all remotely.

Previous gen. It was the Galaxy Note 7 that being all ‘splody.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Over There posted:

Doesn't doesn't bother me but I also don't think it's a plus. I get annoyed every time I see that Samsung ad where they're trying to make fun of the notch.

it's gonna make it even better when Samsung rips off the notch next year :discourse:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Godzilla07 posted:

it's gonna make it even better when Samsung rips off the notch next year :discourse:

And runs ads in November ragging on Apple for not doing anything new.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

i'm no startup marketing guru here but when ya gotta slam competition in ads doesn't that mean you're on the long downslope of a losing battle

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

i'm no startup marketing guru here but when ya gotta slam competition in ads doesn't that mean you're on the long downslope of a losing battle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfv6Ah_MVJU

🤔🤔🤔

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

hmmm does that reiterate my point or no 🤔🤔🤔🤔

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Note 8 is the one that is $200 more than an S8+ despite being nearly identical.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I got my X today and I can see why people think FaceID is so awesome. It hadn’t even occurred to me that it’d obviously extend to stuff like my banking app or security cameras. Logging into stuff is so quick and seamless.

Question Mark Mound posted:

As much as the better screen would be nice, I think if the cheaper X-like model still has the same awesome dual-camera stuff going on, I can't see myself not going for that one.

I’m going to go out on a limb and say it won’t have dual cameras. Apple will need to differentiate regular iPhones from premium ones and even Samsung declined to go dual lenses on their regular S9 phone.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

The Note 8 is the one that is $200 more than an S8+ despite being nearly identical.

it has a stylus, buddy

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I like how the galaxy 9 does Animojis now. The commercial is pretty hilarious

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

i think the mobile phone market is simply getting weird

Phone makers are rushing to rip-off the worst part of the iPhone X design

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

The lesson there was that people secretly identify more with the nerdy schlub than with the hip dude.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pivo posted:

Some market droid's eyes got big as the moon when they realized there was another number they could market that was bigger than someone else's number.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I had a S9 in my hand the other day and it reaffirmed that the notch is right and good.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
If my phone had a piece of the screen missing from the top and a home bar at the bottom that never goes away then I would return it for a refund because it is clearly broken.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

withak posted:

If my phone had a piece of the screen missing from the top and a home bar at the bottom that never goes away then I would return it for a refund because it is clearly broken.

It sounds like it is your brain that is broken

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user

Pivo posted:

It's kind of incredible that they seem to have completely missed the reason why the iPhone Fruit Phone X has the notch.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I couldn't care less about the notch and don't even notice it anymore but the real annoying part about it (and getting rid of the home button) is it's just plain worse trying to get the notification panel and settings thing to come onto the screen. If they could make the notch touch sensitive so the area you could use to bring them down was basically half the width of the phone it'd sort me out.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

It's kind of incredible that they seem to have completely missed the reason why the iPhone Fruit Phone X has the notch.

It only has the notch to advertise itself to people around you as an iPhone X, user experience be damned.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah it has a HUGE impact on the experience. Sad!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

iajanus posted:

I couldn't care less about the notch and don't even notice it anymore but the real annoying part about it (and getting rid of the home button) is it's just plain worse trying to get the notification panel and settings thing to come onto the screen. If they could make the notch touch sensitive so the area you could use to bring them down was basically half the width of the phone it'd sort me out.
They could do this, regardless, since the pull-down area starts at the edge of the screen (which is to say if you pull down over the ear speaker, you'll pull down the Notification Center), to include the bottom of the notch. It's a deliberate choice that Control Center can only be pulled down from the right ear. (I agree that it would be better if they extended it to the middle, though, or at least made it an option.)

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

I like the notch

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

And I am glad Android people will soon be able to walk into the Dollar Store and buy notched Android phones

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Gonna be a kick in the crotch when Samsung botch that notch, just watch.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Here’s something weird I’ve never experienced:

I just took 3 pictures of one of my kids. When I go to Photos, one of the pics has the share logo grayed out, and I’m unable to send it. The edit button is gray as well. The other two are fine. Anyone seen this before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Samsung in December: Sooooo, in hindsight packing C4 into the notch was a bad idea, so we're gonna recall all our phones. Sorry about your dead loved ones guys, we need to rethink our anti-theft strategy.