Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Thai Drag Race best Drag Race.

I love that the Dearis Doll official baseball hat has a hologram sticker on the brim, you know, to stem the tide of all that fake Dearis Doll merch flooding the markets.

shadow puppet of a fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Feb 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fresh Like Zafo
May 31, 2012

That mini challenge on Thai Drag Race was awesome as hell. I really miss the photo shoot challenges.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

When did they stop opening the season with those? Just season 9, right? 8 had the shoot with all the former winners.

I miss them bringing the girls in with their introduction outfits and then humiliating them and loving their clothes up with some bizarre shoot. Good way to bring everyone down to the same level.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
That soup can challenge just sits really badly with me. I mean, the Studio 54 thing, sure, whatever, everyone looked bad but whatever, it's at least drag.

It's like the chin-painting mini-challenge from way back when (Adore's season?) - how do you judge this, WHY do you judge this.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

angerbeet posted:

That soup can challenge just sits really badly with me. I mean, the Studio 54 thing, sure, whatever, everyone looked bad but whatever, it's at least drag.

It's like the chin-painting mini-challenge from way back when (Adore's season?) - how do you judge this, WHY do you judge this.

Can't speak for the chin-painting other than that it was funny and shows off lip-syncing (?) but it was just a mini-challenge so anything goes. (Remember the crotch-mini-golf game? Yeah...)

But the soup can thing is about branding. How do you sum up your personality, how do you sell it to others with just your mug, a short pitch, and an image? It's a silly framework, but the things they're looking for are incredibly pop culture icon-relevant.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Eh, I hated it. The Dragazine and perfume challenges were about branding as well, and about a million times better. Like, I get the reference to America slapping a pair of sexy legs on a costume pack of cigarettes or whatever for advertising but it just seemed like a bizarre choice for a challenge.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

angerbeet posted:

Eh, I hated it. The Dragazine and perfume challenges were about branding as well, and about a million times better. Like, I get the reference to America slapping a pair of sexy legs on a costume pack of cigarettes or whatever for advertising but it just seemed like a bizarre choice for a challenge.

Sometimes ya just start running out of ideas.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

They could have still done the cans but had the queens do quick ads for them (like the perfume challenge), using the bits that were spoken over the runway in the ad instead. Would have required a little more work and possibly put that extra pressure into the challenge.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

angerbeet posted:

yeah at least the chin-painting thing had the decency to be a mini-challenge. i don't really care if those are silly and light, and it breaks up the drama-heavy maxi-challenge. the pop-culture polaroid mini challenge was kind of good; as soon as aja's mug was in that style, you could tell she was the winner. she nailed that. honestly, she's come out of this season really well.

aja had probably the most bogus elimination of all the queens this season, but didn't bitch or complain about it in the show (yet, at least). meanwhile thorgy and milk continue to do badly and blame everyone else. aja held her composure when the judges gave her some pretty meaningless feedback and made fun of her in a way that felt legitimately mean-spirited. she didn't argue with bebe, she just took it with pretty good grace. i think she more than earned her spot this season, really, and given that i didn't really give a dang about her in s9, i think the world of her now.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

The episode just really felt like filler. Maybe it was because I had a few drinks or the nature of the challenge but it seemed like we got to the runway super quickly and then the episode was over. I guess we needed one more queen for the RuVenge but hopefully things speed up now that there are so few episodes left.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

^burtle posted:

The episode just really felt like filler. Maybe it was because I had a few drinks or the nature of the challenge but it seemed like we got to the runway super quickly and then the episode was over. I guess we needed one more queen for the RuVenge but hopefully things speed up now that there are so few episodes left.

I think this was the first episode of the season that was only an hour (so 42 minutes).

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Nihonniboku posted:

I think this was the first episode of the season that was only an hour (so 42 minutes).

Yeah, it felt super short after how long all the AS2 episodes were and most of these AS3 ones have been.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Nihonniboku posted:

Snatch Game was also an hour (and it showed). Bring on the 90 minute eps next season!

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

new episode preview clip is up:

http://www.vh1.com/video-clips/lizo...facebook_rpdras

trixie dodges a bullet and chooses aja as well. thank goodness for that, i didn't want to revisit the shangela vs trixie beef.

kennedy gets a talking head where she's happy that she's still here. if she doesn't go this episode, i'd be pretty surprised.

straight into the maxi-challenge again - and this time it's auditioning to be part of ru's supergroup, which basically means the collaborative songwriting challenge i think? then we head into dramatic plot twist territory

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa don't cut the preview off there... :argh:

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I can't stop watching this video of Aja reading Milk, it's hypnotic.

My opinion of Aja went from "get her off my television" to "All Stars really redeemed her" to "Maybe Aja was right the entire time?" Wanna re-watch S9 now.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
I was always in Aja's court, I still don't know why people were annoyed/predicting she'd go home first or second.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

caligulamprey posted:

I can't stop watching this video of Aja reading Milk, it's hypnotic.

My opinion of Aja went from "get her off my television" to "All Stars really redeemed her" to "Maybe Aja was right the entire time?" Wanna re-watch S9 now.

Lol viewer be warned, there’s a real short bit near the end of this that seems to confirm a heavily spoiler-tagged rumor

when Aja says “and then Morgan apologizes to Ben”

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

caligulamprey posted:

I've been using Season 9 as background noise for the past couple days. Some thoughts:
  • Half the time I'd believe it if you told me that Season 9 Aja time-warped out of Paris is Burning.
  • Holy poo poo, that purple lighting :wtf:
  • Angry to be reminded that Jaymes Mansfield exists.
  • Tickled to be reminded that a friend described Nina's boy look as André 300.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Magikarpal Tunnel posted:

I was always in Aja's court, I still don't know why people were annoyed/predicting she'd go home first or second.

Probably because her S9 looks and performance were pretty mediocre. This is most notable in the Rudemption Runway looks in episode 2. The troll-doll look went from ghastly to incredible as her makeup and dress skills improved. Putting them side by side, it's like night and day, more than any other queen that week.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Magikarpal Tunnel posted:

Same. While she clearly had a long way to go on making concepts work in S9 I still felt I understood where she was coming from, even if she failed at a challenge. Last week was a great example of her missing the mark but still putting out something that wasn’t bad: seeing herself as sweet=candy as opposed to sweet=explosively acidic sweet pop rocks; a 23-yo who hasn’t specifically studied the 70s and instead gets caught up in a project presenting what they thought the 70s was. She reminds me of S2 Shangela in that she at least tries even if something isn’t her strong suit and keeping forging ahead after making mistakes.

Ubiquitous_ posted:

Probably because her S9 looks and performance were pretty mediocre. This is most notable in the Rudemption Runway looks in episode 2. The troll-doll look went from ghastly to incredible as her makeup and dress skills improved. Putting them side by side, it's like night and day, more than any other queen that week.

Absolutely. I loved her fairy tale concept because the idea was funny and it seemed like it was coming out of Aja’s life, she just couldn’t execute or explain it well at the time (but I got where she was coming from). In contrast Valentina executed her concept so well that most people overlooked what she was revealing about herself. Except for Aja, who saw right through the BS. Ice can be clear, after all.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Same. While she clearly had a long way to go on making concepts work in S9 I still felt I understood where she was coming from, even if she failed at a challenge. Last week was a great example of her missing the mark but still putting out something that wasn’t bad: seeing herself as sweet=candy as opposed to sweet=explosively acidic sweet pop rocks; a 23-yo who hasn’t specifically studied the 70s and instead gets caught up in a project presenting what they thought the 70s was. She reminds me of S2 Shangela in that she at least tries even if something isn’t her strong suit and keeping forging ahead after making mistakes.

Absolutely. I loved her fairy tale concept because the idea was funny and it seemed like it was coming out of Aja’s life, she just couldn’t execute or explain it well at the time (but I got where she was coming from). In contrast Valentina executed her concept so well that most people overlooked what she was revealing about herself. Except for Aja, who saw right through the BS. Ice can be clear, after all.

Honestly, my favorite part of Valentina’s princess look was her wanting to grow up to be an evil queen.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
We've watched all but the last episode of dragula and I'm really enjoying it. Does it get more polished through the seasons?

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

the editing and sound in season 2 are definitely improved (though in the confessionals the sound quality is trash).
eliminations in season two are definitely more over the top, but in my opinion it's a better package overall.

Excited to see what season 3 brings us, for sure!

:vince:

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Watching S1 of Dragula with a friend last night after seeing the "first" production cut, holy poo poo, they made that show look a trillion times better with that pass-over.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
Episode 2 of Drag Race Thailand is up with English subtitles!

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6f5ox1

Subtitles can be turned on by clicking the icon in the upper right of the video and selecting them from the menu.

This week, the girls get photographed by Bin Laden!

Aerox fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Mar 1, 2018

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Aerox posted:

Subtitles can be turned on by clicking the icon in the upper right of the video and selecting them from the menu.

Daaaang. 15 minutes and non of those pictures looked bad to me. It feels kind of weird to see the pictures while the maxi challenge is happening and not having it be part of the runway. These girls are sooo talented.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Aerox posted:

awww hell yeah

twistedbutterfly
Jan 20, 2007
Be careful of elimination spoilers tonight.
There is a photo going around on Instagram and Twitter fan accounts I follow.

Tonight is gonna be intense.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Yeah, stay far away from twitter. I stumbled upon a spoiler that looks too fake to be real but :stare: :stare: :stare:

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Did anyone catch the Trixie and Katya Bob show last night? It's waiting on my dvr and I have high expectations. Hopefully Katya gets well soon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTLw9G1WpC4

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I'm living for Drag Race Thailand. The girls are all great and the host/ess makes Mama Ru look like a soft, cuddly teddy bear by comparison. So icy :allears:

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

well drat

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitch

twistedbutterfly
Jan 20, 2007
That ending

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
That ending: noooooooooo you were my favorite

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

Is that the spoiler that everyone has been talking about for a while, or is it something else?

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Raere posted:

Is that the spoiler that everyone has been talking about for a while, or is it something else?

there's more....

they're all dudes

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

What a little loving baby. "wah wah it's haaaard" gently caress off. Instantly went from one of my biggest crushes to someone I'm happy not seeing again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

That's it I'm suing.

:cloud:

• Locked thread