Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

If it's the one on the app's page navigation bar that's also fixed!

If it's the actual phone back button then goondolences

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it's the more dumber of the two scenarios :v:

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer
*** UPDATE *** No wait, actually I'm not going crazy! (I'm probably still dumb, but that's not relevant here.)

The next page arrow definitely is opening the bookmarks for me, about 70% of the time. But yeah, I'm able to just swipe back over to the thread view. Glad to hear that's been sorted out.

As far as .gif weirdness, (what Midjack was talking about) I'm definitely getting that too, but only in the app, not Chrome, for some reason. For me, the erroneously displayed extra portion flickers above the .gif itself (which animates just fine.) I'll try to post a screenshot if I see it again.

E to add: fwiw I haven't seen Cinci's av do it. Or any avs. Only inline .gifs.

Farmdizzle fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Feb 5, 2018

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Farmdizzle posted:

As far as .gif weirdness, (what Midjack was talking about) I'm definitely getting that too, but only in the app, not Chrome, for some reason. For me, the erroneously displayed extra portion flickers above the .gif itself (which animates just fine.) I'll try to post a screenshot if I see it again.

We're definitely talking about the same thing as you've described it perfectly. I still haven't seen it in the app, just on Chrome for Mac lately but I'm sure that's more because I use the Mac far more than my phone for forums viewing.

I've seen it on all kinds of gifs--avs, emotes, inline gifs--but I haven't seen it anywhere except the forums. Is it because I spend 90% of my time on the forums? Is it because the only place I'm likely to scroll to see gifs (the weirdness only happens when I scroll to a gif, never when the gif is in view on page load) is the forums? I can't say.

Honestly now I wouldn't say Cinci's av is doing it more than anyone else's. I think it's more that for the threads I'm reading the next gif much more likely to be an av than anything else and for some threads some posters are more prevalent than others.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Hey how do we send you beer money?

Your app is better than some avatars I've had.

Also is still kill for a GIFV/WEBM share button somehow. Even putting the link below the picture would work as tapping it would still bring up the share menu.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Would it be possibly to make GIFs play when you hit Display Image?

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

I just noticed that I can't OP. How can I Yob if I can't OP?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Devs are prioritising casting instead so I can view shitposts on the big screen

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

TVsVeryOwn posted:

That's a quality control feature.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

TVsVeryOwn posted:

There's an IAP for that

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Wasting time on a full Kotlin rewrite instead of prioritizing much-requested user features. Shameful.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

For twelve years you have been asking, "where is the Kotlin rewrite?"

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I'm seeing the GIF weirdness too, but again only in app. That said it's probably in chrome proper, but I just don't visit a lot of sites with animated GIFs like the forums. I'm mostly seeing it on smilies like :lol: and :getin:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Scaramouche posted:

I'm seeing the GIF weirdness too, but again only in app. That said it's probably in chrome proper, but I just don't visit a lot of sites with animated GIFs like the forums. I'm mostly seeing it on smilies like :lol: and :getin:

The weird thing I'm still seeing it consistently (not in the app, but on the desktop but I don't use the app much) but only on the forums. I don't visit a lot of places with a ton of gifs where it's more likely to happen but still it's only on SA for me so far.

Haven't seen it at work but that's not surprising since they won't let Chrome update and I'm like ten versions out of date there.

Either way it's either a Chrome problem or an SA problem if my anecdotal experience means anything.

Edit: vvv Apparently it doesn't mean anything. Definitely Chrome then. There was an update today but I think it's just because it's Flash update day.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Feb 14, 2018

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer
I've seen it in Chrome now as well, but definitely way less often.

And it wasn't SA, either.

I definitely don't remember it happening before the last Web View update.

Farmdizzle fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Feb 14, 2018

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I've got animated thread tags with ghost doubles in chrome on my laptop but no problems at all in the app

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

There Bias Two posted:

Did you update the app?

Yea first time using it as I switched to a s7.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Well did you enable them in the settings?

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
The "disable view swiping" option is a bit weird. When enabled view swiping back to the thread list doesn't work anymore but not completely. When I swipe it still works for like half a milimeter or so. I can do this a couple of times and slowly swipe the thread list back in view. That way I end up with both the thread view and the bookmarks list on screen where I can scroll on both of them.

I looked at the last couple of posts but didn't see if it was already reported.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Yeah that bug's been around for a long time (it's related to the one where you swipe on something like a code block and the thread list jumps in)

It's fixed in the next beta build though, hopefully!

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Oh, huh. I was gonna make a report on that code block thing but I wasn't sure how to describe it. Glad to know you're already aware.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Turns out the forums list doesn't parse properly when you're on probation. I took a look at the code a couple weeks back and couldn't tell quite why, but sure enough half an hour after a thirty day probation ended, I suddenly have a forum list again.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

It's possible the page is different when you're probed, so some parsing fails somewhere, but you should still have a forums list - it should only update when there was a successful refresh, otherwise it should keep the old one. Was this like a first run of the app, or did you have a forums list but it disappeared when you got probed?

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

baka kaba posted:

It's possible the page is different when you're probed, so some parsing fails somewhere, but you should still have a forums list - it should only update when there was a successful refresh, otherwise it should keep the old one. Was this like a first run of the app, or did you have a forums list but it disappeared when you got probed?

I had uninstalled the app for the first week or so then reinstalled, so had no stale leftover copy.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Ah right, I'll add it to the list then! Cheers

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Is there a Kindle version of the app where Twitter embeds work? I noticed it updated to the new icon a while back, its showing ver 3.4.1 in the About

Would it be best to just pull the (3.3.3b) goog version of awful.apk off of my phone and side load it to the K-Fire?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Sereri's the Kindle miracle worker, I'm not sure what's up with all that. 3.4.1 should work fine with the twoots, but maybe there's some weird stuff going on with the Fire that needs special attention. I'm not sure if 3.3.3b will be any different (it's the same fix) but you could try it if you feel like it!

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
Is there going to be an Adaptive icon soon? With Oreo all my "legacy" icons look butt-ugly.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

There's one in the beta, so next version!

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I'm getting a login failed error since... last week? I was pasting my password from a manager so I thought it may be that, but I changed it and typed it by hand and still getting login failed (I'm pretty sure I'm typing it correctly). Tried deleting app cache and still getting the same. Any ideas?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Try if it works if the password is only latin letters and numbers.

Also the app cache only contains data for the webview like avatars and stuff, you'd need to delete the app data

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Haven't read a ton of the thread so I'm not sure if I'm rehashing a bug or not, but I find if I open a link to the forums using Awful, the Bookmarks link in the menu then gets "stuck" in that particular thread. Doesn't seem to happen if I first go Menu->The SA Forums-> click the Bookmarks link at the top, just the link in the menu. I have to force quit the app to get it to work correctly again. Currently using 3.3.3b on Android 8.1.0 on a Pixel, but I've had this happen to me for at least the last couple of versions.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Yeah that's an old bug, it's been fixed in the development version so it'll roll out at some point

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Sereri posted:

Try if it works if the password is only latin letters and numbers.

Also the app cache only contains data for the webview like avatars and stuff, you'd need to delete the app data

yeah, password's only letters and numbers; I deleted cache and app data again and it worked. Thanks.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Tiny quirk I just saw, figured it's more ha ha than a problem. The incorrect shrug only appeared every third frame switch of the real one.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

LethalGeek posted:

Tiny quirk I just saw, figured it's more ha ha than a problem. The incorrect shrug only appeared every third frame switch of the real one.

I was just about to post that I had I haven't seen this happen since the last WebView update.

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer
That's the same .gif issue we were talking about earlier. Happens in Chrome sometimes, too (at least for me).

I've only been seeing it since the latest WebView update. 64.0.3282.137, on January 30th.

e: fwiw I'm on 6.0.1 Marshmallow.

Farmdizzle fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Mar 1, 2018

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Farmdizzle posted:

That's the same .gif issue we were talking about earlier. Happens in Chrome sometimes, too (at least for me).

I've only been seeing it since the latest WebView update. 64.0.3282.137, on January 30th.

e: fwiw I'm on 6.0.1 Marshmallow.

I'd only been seeing it on Chrome desktop and that was updated 13 Feb which is when I stopped seeing the issue. They don't post WebView updates on their Chrome release blog so it's tougher to track when those come and go, especially since that's one of those apps that can silently update. Hopefully it will come soon though!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Weird minor bug:

I followed a link from Google to a thread and it opened in the app. Ok cool. But then anytime I left the app for a second, when I went back in it took me back to that thread I had followed a link to the day before instead of to where I just was.

I eventually force stopped the app and restarted and it's ok now but that was annoying for a while if ultimately harmless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Same as the bookmarks bug! Fixed and in your future

e- in the meantime you can clear that behaviour by just swiping the app away, it only sticks while the app's open