Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

Calaveron posted:

The thing is neither artist nor artiste realized they were making a rape metaphor when they did that scene of Allison forcing a person to do something they did not want to do under physical and emotional duress

"Calm down, if you keep squirming like that, you're going to dislocate your shoulder."

"Well sweetheart, I was really only asking as a courtesy."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Patrick kidnapping and drugging and mind-reaming a bunch of people without their consent was pretty rapey too.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
The name "STrong female protagonist" has been very ironic for a while now it seems.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

Patrick kidnapping and drugging and mind-reaming a bunch of people without their consent was pretty rapey too.

And Allison did nothing to stop it lmao

Typical Pubbie fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Feb 28, 2018

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Also I really want that guy to turn up dead soon because of THE CONSPIRACY

Because holy poo poo some one with power amplifying abilities is insane to have just sitting around in this setting.

It basically invalidates any major concerns because you can always just get stronger by giving that guy a handjob or something

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
It takes a special thought process to take a story about forcing the rich to give back to society and tell it such that it's actually about forcing someone to perform an innate talent/ability that they possess for the benefit of others on pain of death.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

The real Patrick is behind the door, the fragments of his mind can't cross the barrier because they're not really him. This is why he can't "read his own mind". This is all really stupid.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Emrikol posted:

It takes a special thought process to take a story about forcing the rich to give back to society and tell it such that it's actually about forcing someone to perform an innate talent/ability that they possess for the benefit of others on pain of death.

Maybe Mulligan is a Stalinist and we've all been taken for a ride.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Burkion posted:

The best part is that Deegan almost comes out ahead here

The heroic rapist there at least had to deal with a few people hating him.

That was true for five minutes, until it was revealed it was some mind demon making women mad that one of their friends is a rapist, and they immediately apologise to him for saying he is a bad man for raping someone, after the demon was exorcised.

Then his victim hooks up with him because he reminds her of her dad.

Dominic Deegan was a very special comic.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
This also takes place in an arc largely about anti-Orc racism that largely functions to tear down a character by turning him into an unrepentant racist before killing him off (and posthumously dragging him down further) because Mookie didn't like that his audience was starting to like the "bully jock" character.

During all of this, the rapist is continuously used as the example of now noble Orcs truly are.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

a cartoon duck posted:

That was true for five minutes, until it was revealed it was some mind demon making women mad that one of their friends is a rapist, and they immediately apologise to him for saying he is a bad man for raping someone, after the demon was exorcised.

Then his victim hooks up with him because he reminds her of her dad.

She didn't hook up with him. She just acknowledged she was attracted to him and maybe he was an alright guy all along!

Then she found the orc that made Stonewater rape her, vomited out this thing about how the real baddie forced the rape on them both as a power play, and whacked his head off with a hammer, so you see it all worked out in the end.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

pospysyl posted:

Maybe Mulligan is a Stalinist and we've all been taken for a ride.

My bet is still on alt-right deep cover troll.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

a cartoon duck posted:

I honestly miss the "friday cliff hanger/Monday immediate resolution" format.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

super sweet best pal posted:

The real Patrick is behind the door, the fragments of his mind can't cross the barrier because they're not really him. This is why he can't "read his own mind". This is all really stupid.

goddamn it, this is going to be it.

ass frog
Feb 28, 2018

by Smythe
the real patrick is the mom

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

rear end frog posted:

the real patrick is the mom

It still can be The Usual Suspects twist, where it turns out Patrick's childhood is based on some random bildungsroman book, because he doesn't actually remember anything from more than 5 years ago.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
The reason Patrick appears to have an over the top tragic childhood is because he's read so many minds that what he thinks now are his childhood memories are just an amalgamation of messed up poo poo he's seen in the memories of other people.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Strong Female Protagonist does have one thing over Dominic Deegan, which is that it doesn't have the death fetish of the author periodically leaking into the comics. And you might think I'm joking, but no, for a while the root image directory on the DD website was publicly accessible. It was full of some stuff you'd expect: lame fanart, irl photos of Mookie swinging a sword around with photoshopped lighting effects, etc. But then there were the fake pulp magazine covers he did where he had female models pose as murdered corpses with magazine titles like "Pretty Dead Girl". He also had some test pages for other comic ideas, including one about a necromancer with a death fetish and his succubi familiar. Some of that stuff is probably still up on his Deviantart but I'm not going to bother checking.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Zerilan posted:

The reason Patrick appears to have an over the top tragic childhood is because he's read so many minds that what he thinks now are his childhood memories are just an amalgamation of messed up poo poo he's seen in the memories of other people.

That would be a cool and interesting twist, and especially if it then explores what this means to the way he treats and is treated by other people.

It will never happen.
Dog Snap mom is real and is going to be a villain

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Nuns with Guns posted:

Strong Female Protagonist does have one thing over Dominic Deegan, which is that it doesn't have the death fetish of the author periodically leaking into the comics. And you might think I'm joking, but no, for a while the root image directory on the DD website was publicly accessible. It was full of some stuff you'd expect: lame fanart, irl photos of Mookie swinging a sword around with photoshopped lighting effects, etc. But then there were the fake pulp magazine covers he did where he had female models pose as murdered corpses with magazine titles like "Pretty Dead Girl". He also had some test pages for other comic ideas, including one about a necromancer with a death fetish and his succubi familiar. Some of that stuff is probably still up on his Deviantart but I'm not going to bother checking.

Yeah at least sfp has managed to avoid having a woman die with her butt in the air while the protagonist's father jokes about it.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Give it time

This is the comic that unironically posited that maybe anyone suspected of sexual assault should just be murdered without fair trial.

And even the people that AREN'T suspected of it too.

Never forget Fire Guy whose worst crime in the comic was Not Liking The Hero and Being Kind Of A Dick. Nope he gets to die unmourned and unnoticed while the actual murderer gets away

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Dominic Deegan had a lot more things wrong with it than SFP, but that was also because it had a lot more things going on in total.

SFP is mostly too milquetoast to really care about one way or another, and it takes effort to try to pay attention long enough to point out what's wrong. It is extremely boring, which in its own way, is the worst thing that you can be.

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015

Burkion posted:

Never forget Fire Guy whose worst crime in the comic was Not Liking The Hero and Being Kind Of A Dick. Nope he gets to die unmourned and unnoticed while the actual murderer gets away

It's worse than that. The story goes out of its way to make him responsible for his own death, and not the person who strapped a bomb to him so she could make a video of herself torturing a drugged confession out of him before executing him.

I've posted about it before. It's hosed up!

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Burkion posted:

Fire Guy was also a racist murderer. I mean, it was a poorly-written story, but there is that.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

Dominic Deegan had a lot more things wrong with it than SFP, but that was also because it had a lot more things going on in total.

SFP is mostly too milquetoast to really care about one way or another, and it takes effort to try to pay attention long enough to point out what's wrong. It is extremely boring, which in its own way, is the worst thing that you can be.

Yeah I'm sure the longer SFP goes the more similarities to DD could be noticed, probably due to both authors seeming like the type of guys who see themselves as woke progressives but their own hangups and fetishes get in the way of them trying to say anything worth saying, when they bother to even try.

I do have a slightly higher opinion of DD overall than SFP at this point though.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Falstaff posted:

Fire Guy was also a racist murderer. I mean, it was a poorly-written story, but there is that.
I only remember the "legal Immigrant" line in the beginning, and that was delivered by the type of crowd I imagine to make up details to spin an event. Also when he killed a bunch of kidnappers and almost killed the hostage because he was evolving, but I'm sure I'm forgetting something about him.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I'm surprised by how many arcs I actually remember in DD and how much Mookie was trying to accomplish with his story. If nothing else he had tenacity but he had horrible ways of writing out characters, situations, magic, mystery, pretty much everything. Also how utterly horrible the characters were.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Brought To You By posted:

I only remember the "legal Immigrant" line in the beginning, and that was delivered by the type of crowd I imagine to make up details to spin an event. Also when he killed a bunch of kidnappers and almost killed the hostage because he was evolving, but I'm sure I'm forgetting something about him.

He also said murdering rapists wasn't good.
I also don't remember him dying. Did he die?

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Brought To You By posted:

I'm surprised by how many arcs I actually remember in DD and how much Mookie was trying to accomplish with his story. If nothing else he had tenacity but he had horrible ways of writing out characters, situations, magic, mystery, pretty much everything. Also how utterly horrible the characters were.

He also clearly loved creating the comic. It wasn't good but you got the sense he genuinely enjoyed thinking up and drawing each page. He didn't plan it out first and just surprised himself as he went along, basically allowing him to enjoy it almost on the same level as a reader. And the story actually wound up coherent, if flawed. Dude had a hell of a lot of stamina to put up a daily comic for 11 years while the art stayed almost exactly the same from like page 10 to page 5729. I think that's the part that amazes me most. The snouts got more pronounced but otherwise you can pull a random page and not really be able to tell when in the series it was made. IIRC

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Paladinus posted:

He also said murdering rapists wasn't good.
I also don't remember him dying. Did he die?

He's pretty dead and his body was found in the aftermath of the dam collapsing. I'm still confused about the intention of his character assuming my memory is accurate. He was just a dick but otherwise his biggest crime was disagreeing with Allison. And that one time he nearly killing innocents through an uncontrollable surge in his power which I can't fault him for.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Emrikol posted:

It's worse than that. The story goes out of its way to make him responsible for his own death, and not the person who strapped a bomb to him so she could make a video of herself torturing a drugged confession out of him before executing him.

I've posted about it before. It's hosed up!

The protagonist agreed that the crazy murdering torturer was actually in the right and doing good and that she needed to be more like that lady. These are the morals we should be taking away from the comic. Violence is good if you're the stronger person and the victim is weaker and you believe them to be worthless. There's absolutely no way that could be abused.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Maybe his real power was actually being made of straw and he just set himself on fire with a lighter.

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
Ultimately, he catches the attention of a serial predator and winds up kidnapped, taken to a remote location, drugged, assaulted, and eventually dead. The reader is invited not to have sympathy for him on the grounds that his behavior was "asking for it", and that he had brought it upon himself.

Emrikol fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Mar 2, 2018

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Nuebot posted:

The protagonist agreed that the crazy murdering torturer was actually in the right and doing good and that she needed to be more like that lady. These are the morals we should be taking away from the comic. Violence is good if you're the stronger person and the victim is weaker and you believe them to be worthless. There's absolutely no way that could be abused.

I think Allison sort of waffled around for most of the chapter and ultimately still thought Mary needed to be brought in, but she was visited by three ghosts who extolled to her at length on how all these mysterious murders were well and good.

In light of recent events, I wonder how much it'd change things with the way how more women are speaking up about their personal experiences if after each time somebody wound up slashed up and bled out.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Emrikol posted:

Ultimately, he catches the attention of a serial predator and winds up kidnapped, taken to a remote location, drugged, assaulted, and eventually dead. The reader is invited not to have sympathy for him on the grounds that his behavior was "asking for it", and that he had brought it upon himself.

He was also literally the only person to entirely condemn the serial murderer's actions instead of endorsing them or waffling on it.

Also the scene of him losing control of his powers for a moment ended with a more competent female hero telling him that he's awful and shouldn't be a hero. Everything about his appearances in that chapter were to just drag his character through the mud enough to make him wholly unsympathetic even in death.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Zerilan posted:

wholly unsympathetic even in death.

Speaking of which, after he is killed we see his corpse floating unceremoniously face down in the flood water and nobody gives a poo poo, I guess he's just left to rot there :shrug:

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Burkion posted:

Give it time

This is the comic that unironically posited that maybe anyone suspected of sexual assault should just be murdered without fair trial.

And even the people that AREN'T suspected of it too.

No, see, Mary had to have some "confirmation" before she'd execute people. Maybe. She had to have that girl say it was totally those highschoolers that raped her and... I dunno let's say she found some compelling reddit comments or something about that platoon of soldiers who raped their female comrade because they sure didn't bother explaining it. One of the soldiers even calls her out for her judge-jury-executioner shtick and all she can respond with that prosy Chicken Soup for the Soul story about throwing starfish back in the ocean.

I really don't get how you can set up a story about confronting a system that fails victims of serious crimes on a regular basis, have one side's most compelling argument be a story your great aunt shares on her facebook, have the other side be a cardboard cutout of RAGE and "white guy"isms, and have the main character fall in the middle, wibbling around for a while and doing nothing worthwhile.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Stormgale posted:

Ah so Patrick LORD BOY will be defeated by the feels

I feel a big groan coming in

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Nuns with Guns posted:

No, see, Mary had to have some "confirmation" before she'd execute people. Maybe. She had to have that girl say it was totally those highschoolers that raped her and... I dunno let's say she found some compelling reddit comments or something about that platoon of soldiers who raped their female comrade because they sure didn't bother explaining it. One of the soldiers even calls her out for her judge-jury-executioner shtick and all she can respond with that prosy Chicken Soup for the Soul story about throwing starfish back in the ocean.

I really don't get how you can set up a story about confronting a system that fails victims of serious crimes on a regular basis, have one side's most compelling argument be a story your great aunt shares on her facebook, have the other side be a cardboard cutout of RAGE and "white guy"isms, and have the main character fall in the middle, wibbling around for a while and doing nothing worthwhile.

Remember how she murdered that one guy, I guess a Judge?, who was vaguely implied to maybe be abusive to his daughter, I guess? but never ever connects him to the whole rapist thing beyond him letting some go with a light sentence

Despite the fact tha tevery other person she murdered was either a rapist or she THOUGHT they were a rapist

Was there a whole subset of other people she was murdering that let rapists go free?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The comic should have hitched along with Mary instead. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Synthbuttrange posted:

The comic should have hitched along with Mary instead. :(

She is the strongest character the comic has had so far. Allison spends the entirety of Issue 5 tripping over Mary's agency in the form of the various corpses she leaves behind.

• Locked thread