Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
no cap gains tax overhaul. this budget is garbage just like justin trudeau

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
They did change the passive income in a CCPC handling from anything previously announced, as far as I know.

Passive income >50k now strips small business rate eligibility by $5 for every dollar.

They say this affects ~3% of CCPCs, 90% of whom are 1%-ers in income, other 10% obviously not doing too bad from asset POV.

This seems far better than previous proposal for simplicity's sake.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Dumb question. What does a government do if it doesn't tax and spend?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
What if, fundamentally, your problem was with being governed?

Anarchists in denial, or how do I reconcile my desire for personal autonomy with my raging hardon for authority.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
lmao they literally called a program the "Feminist International Assistance Policy"

probably just to piss off right wingers

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
heres something youll like ci

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
this seems optimistic

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
nice trendline

Zajajaja
Jan 10, 2008
https://twitter.com/CPAC_TV/status/968576019115401216
Disgusting.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
hmmmm

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
im lolling pretty hard at the legend here

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
telling, isn't it?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

vyelkin posted:

im lolling pretty hard at the legend here

I'm the inflated markets in everywhere outside Toronto, Vancouver, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Newfoundland?

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
But where are Bill Morneau's new shoes?!

quote:

For the second year in a row, federal Finance Minister Bill Morneau will wear a pair of shoes from Edmonton company Poppy Barley, when he tables the budget next week.

The annual shoe tradition is an unusual one with a mysterious background, but selecting the same shoe company two years in a row is unprecedented, the Edmonton shoemaker said. Poppy Barley said it was again considered a perfect fit for the occasion for being a Canadian, female-founded business.

Last year Morneau chose a pair of black Edmonton Oxfords, described as their “classiest, dressiest shoe.” For 2018, he went with the Jasper Derby in black calf and deer, purchased for $250 through the company’s sample sale. The derby shoe is described as being the ultimate in comfort (and class).

Those are pretty good shoes.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Carole James best finance minister :colbert:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
loving lmao alberta wants to secede and join america

http://nationalpost.com/news/politics/why-leaving-canada-makes-sense-for-alberta-and-u-s-would-likely-welcome-a-new-state

quote:

"It is the youngest province, and is becoming younger, better paid and more highly skilled as the rest of Canada becomes older and less skilled, and a ward of the state financially...it comes down to demographics. Right now, every man, woman and child in Alberta pay $6,000 more into the national budget than they get back. Alberta is the only province that is a net contributor to that budget — by 2020, the number will exceed $20,000 per person, $40,000 per taxpayer. That will be the greatest wealth transfer in per capita terms in the Western world. The only other place we see things like that is in Saudi Arabia, where the oil-producing regions subsidize the rest of the country."

as if all that success isn't built on importing unemployed newfies and then kicking them out when oil crashes

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

vyelkin posted:

http://nationalpost.com/news/politics/why-leaving-canada-makes-sense-for-alberta-and-u-s-would-likely-welcome-a-new-state

as if all that success isn't built on importing unemployed newfies and then kicking them out when oil crashes

This is an interesting way to describe an article from 2015 about an american’s book.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
haha really? i didn't notice the date, i just took a dumb article that someone i know posted on facebook

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Jordan7hm posted:

This is an interesting way to describe an article from 2015 about an american’s book.

Yeah, I was really hoping to open an article with a big picture of Notley flipping the bird.

I am learning that Andrew Coyne does not like looking at things through a gendered lens and oh poo poo I'm doing the virtue signalling for the Liberals I swear to god they do this on purpose. "Equal pay for work of equal value" is the perfect innocent phrase guaranteed to annoy a large set of people and get repeated all over the place.

quote:

To be fair, encouraging more women to enter and stay in the labour force, as a number of measures in the budget propose to do, is not only about equality but growth: it is one way in which to offset the increasing numbers of retirees leaving the workforce. The same cannot be said for institutionalizing — for all future governments, this budget claims — the mix of ideological cant and bureaucratic busywork known as “gender-based analysis,” still less the fantastic anti-economics of “equal pay for work of equal value.”

There will be further opportunities to address this: the legislation is to be introduced this fall. For now it is worth noting that this is not about “equal pay for equal work” — that is, for the same jobs. This is about equalizing pay for different jobs — wholly different occupational categories, in fact — where one is thought to be “undervalued.” Or rather, where it is both “undervalued” and female-dominated, relative to a (presumably “overvalued”) male-dominated category.

Whether their work is in fact “undervalued” in some philosophical sense is an interesting question. Alas, it is how it is, in fact, valued by the people who might be willing to pay them. Theory and evidence both suggest the primary determinant of wages is supply and demand, not the pseudo-objective calculations of “skill, effort, responsibility and working conditions.” That won’t change just because the government fiddles about with pay scales.

http://nationalpost.com/opinion/andrew-coyne-the-liberals-deliver-a-federal-budget-that-has-nothing-to-do-with-budgeting-or-the-economy

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I'm surprised that think piece wasn't written by a member of Canada's female opinion thought leaders

is wente really busy these days

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Takes here! Get your piping hot Takes here!

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

lmao this thread with a reply from a Canadian Senator, abolish the senate

https://twitter.com/kevinmilligan/status/968612913748439040

https://twitter.com/LarryWSmith36/status/968635652504895488

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
l m ao

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Oops

E: abolish the senate

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

This the current talking point for the Conservatives. Their financial critic was on CBC radio last night talking up this exact thing, like if we combine all these things our OECD debt numbers are worse than Greece or something. It sounds like a load of bullshit but also probably tricks a lot of people into thinking we're in a lot of trouble.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
We are in a lot of trouble

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

Reality Loser posted:

We are in a lot of trouble

I mean yes, but also our deficit spending seems pretty par for the course at the moment.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

i just bought a $1.88 usb cable with my credit card, did I make the government insolvent :ohdear:

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
i think it'd be pretty cool to make the case that the government should treat its finances like a regular canadian household treats its finances :unsmith:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

they keep trying to pretend it does

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

namaste friends posted:

i think it'd be pretty cool to make the case that the government should treat its finances like a regular canadian household treats its finances :unsmith:

parliament spent 350 million on the keg last year and everyone got new cars on 40 year leases

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity

DariusLikewise posted:

parliament spent 350 million on the keg last year and everyone got new cars on 40 year leases

But how much did we spend on candles?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

vyelkin posted:

Huh. News to me. I have never heard a single Albertan say that

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Jordan7hm posted:

lmao

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

namaste friends posted:

I'm surprised that think piece wasn't written by a member of Canada's female opinion thought leaders

is wente really busy these days

I'm still having a hard time distinguishing her from Luba Goy

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Bilirubin posted:

I'm still having a hard time distinguishing her from Luba Goy

holy poo poo she's still alive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004