Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

KPC_Mammon posted:

You know you have two spell slots, right?

... Having played through Path of Carcosa no, no I did not.

Huh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

PJOmega posted:

... Having played through Path of Carcosa no, no I did not.

Huh.

Accidental hard mode, nice :)

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Zerf posted:

Accidental hard mode, nice :)

We played the last campaign not realizing that you remove all doom tokens from ALL cards when you advance the agenda which made some scenarios really hard.

thocan
Jan 18, 2014

Xlorp posted:

Rereading the thread double core set looks like the way to go for most convenience and pairing options. Then plow into a campaign series.
How is Agnes paired with Jenny?

As others said, Agnes and Jenny both take a few turns of setup to really start rolling, so any early game problems might be tough. Agnes/Roland is one of my favorite pairs, and should work ok with one core+dunwich. Pete would be a good choice too, if you run Agnes as all purple.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

I so wanted a Thelma and Louise theme to start, but that resource cliff seems tough with Agnes in particular. I love her in a 4 player. Very few things can survive a full unloading of Shriveling with a baseball bat for coup de grace. Basically the Demogorgon send off.

I have a second core and all the Dunwich packs to pick up next week (birthday thing). Then I can get super efficient for picked duo runs and all fluffy for the group.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Maybe consider Daisy and Zoey, I think they'd combo really well.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
My wife and I did Daisy/Zoey and we broke.the game over our knee

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Radish posted:

We played the last campaign not realizing that you remove all doom tokens from ALL cards when you advance the agenda which made some scenarios really hard.

Oooof mine is a slight impediment, that sounds bugfucking insane. That would make some agendas advance every turn!

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

Xlorp posted:

I so wanted a Thelma and Louise theme to start, but that resource cliff seems tough with Agnes in particular. I love her in a 4 player. Very few things can survive a full unloading of Shriveling with a baseball bat for coup de grace. Basically the Demogorgon send off.

I have a second core and all the Dunwich packs to pick up next week (birthday thing). Then I can get super efficient for picked duo runs and all fluffy for the group.

Agnes is perfectly playable in a 2p scenario. Maybe pair her with Zoey? If Zoey splashes 2x Rite of Seeking, 2x Drawn to the Flame, 1x Delve Too Deep, she's quite good at finding clues. She can probably take care of the early game until Agnes is set up. Agnes running Forbidden knowledge enables you to ping enemies for damage, and if Zoey gets her cross out you can defeat minor foes with 1-3 hp by pinging them to death instead of fighting them, which makes the team very efficient when it comes to actions.

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex
OK I have a long, hot take to get off my chest and since it involves discussing the events of the Carcosa campaign I apologize for this big block of spoiler black:

The events of Black Stars Rise felt like the plot went from 0 to 85mph in one scenario. In the Set Up of the scenario, no less. Most of the scenarios thus far have amounted to "you wander around for awhile. You learn nothing. Want to go to Paris? Not yet." This culminates of course in the mid-campaign split of either "Haha, gently caress you, campaign over." or "OK, fine, I guess we'll go to Paris." After getting chased around Paris by the Hitcher from the Mighty Boosh you eventually find a skull and go to the island and then OH poo poo THE WORLD IS ENDING.
Nothing in the campaign thus far has established the kind of tension build up this scenario suggests. The campaigns in Dunwich might have been more straight forward but at least you had things like NPCs with you to exposit what the actual stakes were. I've spent most of Carcossa annoyed at having to treat the campaign rules as an unreliable narrator. I'm going to be right pissed when I finish Dim Carcosa and the ending is you just wake up at the end of the play from Curtain Call.

Maybe it's just me and I'm not seeing something that other people do but it's just been frustrating because I really enjoy the game otherwise.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Not Keyser Soze posted:

I've spent most of Carcossa annoyed at having to treat the campaign rules as an unreliable narrator.

I'm afraid this part is kind of the whole point?

Lichtenstein fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Feb 25, 2018

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Lichtenstein posted:

I mean Hastur is the Great Old One most associated with madness, lunacy and insanity so you know. I wouldn't be surprised if there's no way to end the campaign sane.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Orange Devil posted:

I mean Hastur is the Great Old One most associated with madness, lunacy and insanity so you know. I wouldn't be surprised if there's no way to end the campaign sane.

Mid Carcossa spoiler:Take 1 SAN damage.

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex

Lichtenstein posted:

If it were a compelling story about how your investigator was going mad I would agree. Instead, IMHO, we get far too many dumb twists where "the book told you, the Player, how to play this card game but it was actually LYING to you, teehee!"

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

PJOmega posted:

Oooof mine is a slight impediment, that sounds bugfucking insane. That would make some agendas advance every turn!

Most of the time it meant we had to book it to every monster that had doom tokens which impeded the overall investigations as opposed to them super fast advancing. On the last scenario we basically lost one full agenda card and were able to win with on investigator making a heroic sacrifice. It felt badass though!

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Who is a good pair for Jenny? She seems like she's ok at everything but her personal item encourages fighting.

Honestly I'm kind of unclear as to the roll of rogues and survivors since other classes feel like they investigate or fight better which are most of the game.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

You pretty much got it. She's a generalist, and so can pretty much pair with whomever. Between signature pistols and general rogue cardpool she's somewhat more suited to monster hunting than investigation, but it works fine in every combination. Ashcan would probably be a nice generalist companion, as he could cover for her early on while she's still assembling her talents and weapons and poo poo.

Perhaps think if there's an investigator you'd like to use Double or Nothing or Teamwork on.

Survivor cardpool is very generalist (and good!) and I feel each investigator printed so far really takes the class in a different direction. Still, their rather unique advantages for the team are splendid tanking (of both enemies and events) and monster manipulation. Their generalist mechanics (chaos token manipulation, the ridiculous exiles) can make them extremely consistent when needed, making them excellent vectors for double-or-nothing-style high stakes jank. They also tend to be really good really quick (both scenario- and campaign-wise), but don't really reach the heights offered by some other classes - so they tend to work as busy ad hoc troubleshooters for when the rest of the team is still trying to assemble their poo poo.

Also the discard digging capabilities make for some fun combo potential (hello flaring and then chance enountering someone elses red gloved man).

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Radish posted:

Honestly I'm kind of unclear as to the roll of rogues and survivors since other classes feel like they investigate or fight better which are most of the game.

Rogues (and Jenny especially) are about economy and adaptability via deckbuilding. They can fill the guardian role, they can focus on investigating, etc. They can get more money, do more with it, and once they get going can be really strong.

Survivors are basically jack of all trade types and generally resilient with failure mitigation and card advantage.

I think they're the two strongest solo archetypes because neither have a big weakness. They will also always be welcome in any group because of their versatility. I think of the classes as high level archetypes, but each individual investigator is like a subclass within it and that can change their place on the spectrum pretty dramatically. Here's a chart:

code:

Fighting                                                      Investigating

Guardian       Rogue          Survivor         Mystic           Seeker

But the individual characters can push heavier in either direction.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Feb 27, 2018

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

Bottom Liner posted:

code:

Fighting                                                      Investigating

Guardian       Rogue          Survivor         Mystic           Seeker

While I agree with Guardian, Rogue and Seeker here, saying that Survivors are better at combat than Mystics is a bit misleading imo. Survivors lack access to any decent weapon with more than +1 to damage, while Shrivelling is really good upgraded. I'd argue that they both can investigate good and handle combat, so they are should fill the same slot.

Regarding archetypes, I'd say that survivors are sort of early-bloomers, being really good in the first scenarios but have a harder time to utilize XP, rogues are decent at combat, excel in economy but require more finesse to play well. Mystics are slow to set up but once they have, they can do everything.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Survivors can reliably succeed at combat, even better than Guardians in a lot of cases, even if they don't have much added damage. Mystics are IMO the highest risk/reward class and while they can do big burst it often comes with a drawback or is unreliable. It's not a strict scale though, certain investigators/decks could certainly swap those positions.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

Bottom Liner posted:

Survivors can reliably succeed at combat, even better than Guardians in a lot of cases, even if they don't have much added damage. Mystics are IMO the highest risk/reward class and while they can do big burst it often comes with a drawback or is unreliable. It's not a strict scale though, certain investigators/decks could certainly swap those positions.

I do find that the ability to inflict damage quickly is what defines whether a deck is good at combat or not - while survivors can manipulate tests to go their way, these effects are often one-shot and if you must pass mutiple tests in order to take down an enemy that sort of negates the benefit of passing the first test. But yeah, it's crrtainly not a strict scale and sooner rather than later we'll probably see different archetypes emerge from the same class.

Also, soon Guardians will have their share of safe tests as well: https://arkhamdb.com/card/03304 :)

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Radish posted:

Who is a good pair for Jenny? She seems like she's ok at everything but her personal item encourages fighting.

Jenny is slow to get going so pair her with someone who can get work done immediately. Roland, Pete, or Zoey.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Thanks for the tips and explanations. Might be roleplaying playing Lady and the Tramp go to France with Pete and Jenny since I played a guardian last time and want to do something different. Will that be an issue about investigating will it since neither of their intelligence is super high (Duke mitigates this somewhat)?

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

Radish posted:

Thanks for the tips and explanations. Might be roleplaying playing Lady and the Tramp go to France with Pete and Jenny since I played a guardian last time and want to do something different. Will that be an issue about investigating will it since neither of their intelligence is super high (Duke mitigates this somewhat)?

I think you'll do fine - Jenny can boost intellect using the core boost cards or Streetwise, and get a 6 base investigate using lockpicks. Pete has Duke and Look What I Found, and can use Newspaper/splash Milan or Magnifying Glass for intelllect boost.

You biggest weakness is probably that you'll have a hard time to get more than 1 clue per investigate action, but that shouldn't be too big of a problem.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Zerf posted:

Magnifying Glass

Inspector Duke is on the case!

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Feb 28, 2018

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President
Toot Toot!

Looks like we've got a new class of permanents coming to reduce XP costs.

Shrewd Analysis gives you a 2 for 1 upgrade on Untranslated/Unidentified cards, but you have to pick them at random (maybe we'll see more than just Acidic Ichor now?).

Arcane Research lets you take a mental trauma in exchange for a 1XP discount on the first spell you buy after every scenario--that could be a good 6-8XP value over the course of a campaign. Seems like a good choice for Norman Withers maybe?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Obama 2012 posted:

Toot Toot!
Arcane Research lets you take a mental trauma in exchange for a 1XP discount on the first spell you buy after every scenario--that could be a good 6-8XP value over the course of a campaign. Seems like a good choice for Norman Withers maybe?

Note you only pay the mental trauma once, not every time you get a discounted spell.

I like these. It felt like there were too many upgrade options to ever see half of what you want without running Delve to Deep. I especially like the seeker one since it encourages non-standard builds.

The mystic card also has even better synergy with spells you can upgrade multiple times. If you are willing to upgrade shrivelling slowly over the course of 4 scenarios you'll end up saving half the xp you'd normally spend.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

Obama 2012 posted:

You can run 2 copies of Arcane Research though :toot: But note that it's only upgrades, not new cards.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Zerf posted:

You can run 2 copies of Arcane Research though :toot: But note that it's only upgrades, not new cards.

So you can get 2 x Shrivelling (5) for 2 xp if you spread it over 4 sessions. :drat:

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

KPC_Mammon posted:

So you can get 2 x Shrivelling (5) for 2 xp if you spread it over 4 sessions. :drat:

Yes, sounds really good, maybe even moreso for a support Jim which can heal away the horror (but I guess a tutor would be needed for that).

Still, 14-20 extra XP per campaign(depending on 0-3 extra sidequests)! :aaaaa:

Wonder if Survivors will get discounts on Exile cards and Rogues on Exceptional cards or something similar...

thocan
Jan 18, 2014

Obama 2012 posted:

Toot Toot!

Looks like we've got a new class of permanents coming to reduce XP costs.

Shrewd Analysis gives you a 2 for 1 upgrade on Untranslated/Unidentified cards, but you have to pick them at random (maybe we'll see more than just Acidic Ichor now?).

This is cool and good. I like the flavor of the randomized untranslated stuff a lot, and its not like the other results are bad to have. They just aren't AS good. I've thought about trying this before, just because it makes so much more sense than knowing ahead of time what your mysterious tome is going to translate into.

Again with the arcane one, sacrificing sanity for knowledge is so on point with the flavor of the setting.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

I really like the 24 act cards idea to be honest. Should be a very replayable scenario.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Mar 1, 2018

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Soothing Vapors posted:

My wife and I did Daisy/Zoey and we broke.the game over our knee

Daisy/Zoey are a great synergy; a bit of Wynonna Earp and Waverly. I ran the Gathering a few times to get rules clear and then sent them off to Midnight Masks. The encounter deck went bonkers and tossed all its monsters at us up front but they had the firepower to hang on and then plan the VP. Zoey's random weakness is that -2 starting resources which removes her .45 quick draw turn 1. Her signature weakness is hilarious when it cycles 6-10 encounter cards and annoyances before popping up an enemy for her to hunt.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

New book, new investigator--toss Silas Marsh on the growing pile of 'investigators who will be released in a future expansion'. I'm still holding my breath for Marie Lambeau.

Anyway, we all remember Silas from his pro tentacle-wrestling days on Overpower. 4 Fight and 4 Evade, so he's a good murder machine, but 2 Intellect and 2 Will are the price you pay. At 5 sanity he'll be struggling not to lose his mind, but once you've got him whittled down to 3 his ability to recur skill cards makes him a great candidate for abusing those 4-pip Desperate skill cards all day long. I'm getting a little bored of seeing Peter Sylvestre all the time, but he's probably the best choice for this guy.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

are nerds buying a lot of these books when will this scam end

[edit] On the other hand, this weakness is hilarious.

Lichtenstein fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Mar 7, 2018

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Lichtenstein posted:

It’s a stupid way to sell bad books, but nothing is stopping people from proxying the new investigators.

Silas looks cool. When I first started the game, I really undervalued skill cards. Looking forward to running him with Resourceful and Desperate cards.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Really wonder what Silas' deck building restrictions are.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Lichtenstein posted:

[edit] On the other hand, this weakness is hilarious.

I buy them. I'm the moron who rewards FFG for their awful practices. They're terrible books. The picturebook Marie came in is the only one I like

Silas's weakness is bonkers, holy poo poo

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

Soothing Vapors posted:

I buy them. . . They're terrible books.

I'm baffled by their tone--they read less like tales of inexplicable weirdness than they do mediocre young-adult fiction. I wish they were more 'Lovecraft/Weird Tales/Stephen King' and less 'Nun-with-a-shotgun-on-a-motorcycle'. I guess that's just how FFG thinks of their brand of Arkham.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Holy poo poo Lost in Time and Space is actually back in stock in the UK.

Guess I'm gonna start playing this again.