Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Badger of Basra posted:

dan patrick don't you have something more important to do than post on this forum

No, don't!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I'll never understand what the gently caress is up with these people and toll roads.

https://twitter.com/amanbatheja/status/968629139107401728

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
They look like bagged corpses like the kind you'd see in Mexico.

As far as "who's idea was this?" It was Rick Perry's idea. Perry had a fascination bordering on the sexual when it came to toll roads and he had 14 years to indulge it. But now the cost has been pinching the suburban white voters who make up a lot of the GOP who commute 40 minutes to work every day.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/madlinbmek/status/968873372665958401

loving Dawnna Dukes man

quote:

One reason, many of their supporters say, is that they’ve simply shown up, while Dukes stopped appearing at most public events since her November interview. Her absences have been so frequent that rival campaigns are said to keep a running spreadsheet to record information about every Dukes no-show.

“I am Sheryl Cole, I’m running for House District 46, and I show up,” Cole said at a candidate forum hosted this month by the East Travis County Democrats. It was an obvious jab at the absent Dukes (who later wrote on her Facebook page that she missed the event because a desk had fallen on her, requiring medical attention).

Dukes could not be reached for comment on this story. Her campaign consultant, Colin Strother, stopped responding to phone calls from The Texas Tribune after a reporter asked to interview Dukes. When a reporter knocked on the door at the East Austin address advertised on Facebook as Dukes’ campaign headquarters during business hours on consecutive weekdays, no one answered.

But in a brief phone call earlier this month, Strother disputed the idea that Dukes had withdrawn from the race.

“We’re doing normal stuff,” Strother said. “On the phone, we’re reminding people to go vote, kind of boilerplate-type stuff.”

Few endorsements
As the primary entered its final weeks, Dukes failed to attract endorsements from major local players. Most of House District 46’s local Democratic Party precinct chairs, volunteers who play an important role in identifying and registering voters, have said they do not support her re-election campaign.

“There’s the lack of attendance and then also not feeling like there has been an open-door policy with her office,” said Daniel Segura-Kelly, a Democratic activist and precinct chair in Dukes’ district. “The continued communication doesn’t exist.”

Dukes has skipped a local campaigning ritual: making the rounds of the district to court local Democratic clubs that can help get out the vote.

Dukes never responded to invitations from the Northeast Travis County Democrats, club President Saundra Ragona said. (The club endorsed Vela.) She didn’t fill out a questionnaire required for endorsement from the Black Austin Democrats, club President Craig Moore said. (The group endorsed Cole.) Dukes also failed to return basic candidate paperwork to the Austin Young Democrats, club President Kolby Duhon said. (They endorsed Vela.)

Even when Dukes did show up, she often ruffled feathers. She angered many in the room at the Austin Area AFL-CIO Central Labor Council, participants said, by arriving two hours late to the endorsement meeting. The union group ultimately chose to support Cole.

Most recently, Dukes declined to show up to a candidate meeting at the Austin Chronicle, the largest local publication that endorses candidates. The Chronicle picked Vela, noting that Dukes “appears unfazed by the corruption scandal that plagued her time in office last year, and her poor Capitol attendance during the Legislative session.”

I swear to god if she wins the loving primary

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Interesting dot map of DFW in the 2016 election: http://personal.tcu.edu/kylewalker/maps/dfw_election.html#9.5/32.9475/-96.8959

A little weird. There are votes in the middle of Lake Lewisville.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Feb 28, 2018

slouch
Mar 10, 2009

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Interesting dot map of DFW in the 2016 election: http://personal.tcu.edu/kylewalker/maps/dfw_election.html#9.5/32.9475/-96.8959

A little weird. There are votes in the middle of Lake Lewisville.

the dots are placed randomly in their election districts and dont represent the actual addresses of voters

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Didn't George P. Bush wait until after JEB! withdrew from the race to endorse Cheeto?

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

Zwabu posted:

Didn't George P. Bush wait until after JEB! withdrew from the race to endorse Cheeto?

I don't think Bush endorsed him until after the Republican convention.

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011
Just briefly skimmed the LWV guide, why is Sema Hernandez the only Dem candidate running for senator that bothered to respond? I'm pretty unhappy with Beto's voting history and lovely absences and her responses all sound pretty much what I want from a representative, so is there any reason I shouldn't vote for her instead? Checking her social media she seems to engage in a lot of the left vs. center slap-fights which I'm not exactly thrilled about but I'd still gladly take that over a candidate I can't rely on to vote progressive or even show up to important votes.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

slouch posted:

the dots are placed randomly in their election districts and dont represent the actual addresses of voters

That's just what the fishpeople want you to think. :tinfoil:

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

yellowyams posted:

Just briefly skimmed the LWV guide, why is Sema Hernandez the only Dem candidate running for senator that bothered to respond? I'm pretty unhappy with Beto's voting history and lovely absences and her responses all sound pretty much what I want from a representative, so is there any reason I shouldn't vote for her instead? Checking her social media she seems to engage in a lot of the left vs. center slap-fights which I'm not exactly thrilled about but I'd still gladly take that over a candidate I can't rely on to vote progressive or even show up to important votes.

She thinks Hillary Clinton had Seth rich killed.

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011
Is anyone here voting for who kicks Culberson out of office? Most of the choices seem at least decent so I'm having a hard time choosing. Conversely, all the governor options seem like garbage except Tom Wakely, but I've never heard of him before.

Comrayn posted:

She thinks Hillary Clinton had Seth rich killed.

I thought that was Moser. And it's probably why I'm not going to vote Moser for TX-07 but there are less options to choose from with Senator and ultimately I don't find believing a crazy conspiracy theory about a rich person who is already safe in society as harmful as not showing up for the Keystone XL Pipeline vote or approving this year's NDAA, both of which had/will have a much larger impact. I guess I could leave that part of the ballot blank but that seems like a waste.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I mean if you think believing in an insane conspiracy theory isn't disqualifying I don't think any of us can convince you not to vote for her.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Just to be clear : Hillary killed Seth

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011

Badger of Basra posted:

I mean if you think believing in an insane conspiracy theory isn't disqualifying I don't think any of us can convince you not to vote for her.

You're not wrong, I would probably vote a goat into office if they promised to protect indigenous rights and not blow most of the budget on killing people.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Well republicans went that route and now they got taken over by infowars listeners.

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011
All I'm saying is goats should be able to vote.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

yellowyams posted:

Is anyone here voting for who kicks Culberson out of office? Most of the choices seem at least decent so I'm having a hard time choosing. Conversely, all the governor options seem like garbage except Tom Wakely, but I've never heard of him before.

I thought that was Moser. And it's probably why I'm not going to vote Moser for TX-07 but there are less options to choose from with Senator and ultimately I don't find believing a crazy conspiracy theory about a rich person who is already safe in society as harmful as not showing up for the Keystone XL Pipeline vote or approving this year's NDAA, both of which had/will have a much larger impact. I guess I could leave that part of the ballot blank but that seems like a waste.

Yeah, I'm in TX-07 as well and 98% decided on Alex T. He's actually a friend of my wife's family via school ties but he also just seems like the best candidate as well.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

yellowyams posted:

All I'm saying is goats should be able to vote.

Well there is Texas precedent for them to hold public office.

I've met the fella and he doesn't seem all that bad for a patricidal drunkard. At least you can count on him to always be in his office and excited to see visitors (even if he is a bit pushy about getting a few peanuts for his trouble).

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Voted this morning, Dem primary flavor. Why were there so many uncontested primaries on there?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Badger of Basra posted:

It's not exactly a great sign, but even more pathological and insane beliefs which have caused real and massive harm and killed millions of people aren't considered disqualifying for Democratic politicians so I don't see why this should be.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It means the person is crazy

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Why the gently caress is the choice between a loving crazy person and someone who won't even show up to work?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Different race, unless you know something about Beto I don't

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
No, you're right, I got him mixed up with Dukes. That makes things a little better.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

zoux posted:

It means the person is crazy

So is anyone supporting our endless murder machine overseas, but they get to serve. So is anyone who stands by and lets Trump round up a million people, so when Beto voted for his budget welp the conspiracy truther might be crazy in her own way but her beliefs are less harmful than that.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

So is anyone supporting our endless murder machine overseas, but they get to serve. So is anyone who stands by and lets Trump round up a million people, so when Beto voted for his budget welp the conspiracy truther might be crazy in her own way but her beliefs are less harmful than that.

I disagree that bad policy is the same as believing the earth is flat or Pepsi is flavored with aborted fetuses or whatever.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Comrayn posted:

I disagree that bad policy is the same as believing the earth is flat or Pepsi is flavored with aborted fetuses or whatever.

The myths that the political establishment believes in are no better supported but are more harmful.

I'd like a not-crazy choice but since I didn't get one, I had to decide whether "a grandma iced a guy and everyone covered it up" is more or less harmful than ":decorum: is more important than ICE agents rounding up a million people", and I've already early voted so the decision is made.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

The myths that the political establishment believes in are no better supported but are more harmful.

I'd like a not-crazy choice but since I didn't get one, I had to decide whether "a grandma iced a guy and everyone covered it up" is more or less harmful than ":decorum: is more important than ICE agents rounding up a million people", and I've already early voted so the decision is made.

There is no one out there who only believes in one stupid conspiracy theory. If you are dumb enough to fall for one you are dumb enough to fall for more and they are only harmless dumb beliefs as long as the person who holds them is harmless.

I’m sick of business as usual why can’t we all get along bullshit while the right gets everything they want too but having elected officials who will sponsor state anti vaccination efforts is not an improvement. The guys who want to bomb all brown people and quietly bring back Jim Crow have just had more time in actual power to accomplish their damaging goals.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Just to be clear : Hillary killed Seth

What a Horus!

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

So a possible bomb went off this morning on some dudes front porch in Austin.

http://cbsaustin.com/news/local/afd-reports-home-explosion-in-ne-austin

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Voted in downtown Austin yesterday, good amount of people.

I also got my coworker to learn about and probably vote for Derrick Crowe.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Zil posted:

So a possible bomb went off this morning on some dudes front porch in Austin.

http://cbsaustin.com/news/local/afd-reports-home-explosion-in-ne-austin
drat. Explosive device killed a guy. Police, FBI and ATF all over it on the news.

https://twitter.com/marymhuber/status/969621240049819649

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Mar 2, 2018

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Very accurate description of the Texas Democratic Party:

https://twitter.com/cd_hooks/status/969621658825904128
The anti-corruption message in the RGV should resonate since Democrats down there are notoriously corrupt.

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
worked for him before... dude is very intense. he was good at his job, which was field primarily, but that was a hellscape of a campaign

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Very accurate description of the Texas Democratic Party:

https://twitter.com/cd_hooks/status/969621658825904128
The anti-corruption message in the RGV should resonate since Democrats down there are notoriously corrupt.

'This article speaks the truth, especially about people staying in power through one form or another once they're elected (usually through nepotism). Usually it takes a federal corruption sting to remove people, as we're currently seeing with a judge who was caught on multiple counts of bribery. Then there was the whole Panama Unit thing a few years ago, which ended up sending the county sheriff and his son to federal prison. The Valley is a pretty cozy (and safe) place to live, but yes, the politics here are awful.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Does anyone know why all these stats are for the "10 largest counties" and not just all the counties? I suppose probably less than half the population lives in the other 244 but I'd still like to know.

https://twitter.com/TexasTribune/status/970158026719145984

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Aw gently caress, gently caress, I just realized the primary is on Tuesday and I haven't been paying attention.

Who are the best Democrats to vote for? Can anyone give me a cliffnotes summary?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Aw gently caress, gently caress, I just realized the primary is on Tuesday and I haven't been paying attention.

Who are the best Democrats to vote for? Can anyone give me a cliffnotes summary before Tuesday?

Depends on the district.

Put your address in vote411.org and see who's on your ballot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Badger of Basra posted:

Depends on the district.

Put your address in vote411.org and see who's on your ballot.

Alright thanks, I think I can take it from here. This is a very convenient website.