Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Away all Goats posted:

Victoria 2 problems:

I've played a couple games as Brazil, Argentina and Japan now and I keep running into the same problem: Getting sphere'd by one of the great powers before I can break into the G8 myself. Can't colonize and Can't expand through war. I can't get an alliance with any of the other great powers despite being at 200 relations either.

Am I just not progressing fast enough to break into the G8?

Like others said, beeline the prestige techs. You can also beat up on your neighbors for more prestige, but make sure you research medicine first or you'll lose a ton of manpower to attrition. For industrializing, you're going to have to put your reactionary party in charge so that you can build factories manually. Lumber, furniture, and luxury furniture are all great to produce because you produce all of the materials yourself. Also try encouraging soldiers in your provinces so that you get more military score.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fister Roboto posted:

Like others said, beeline the prestige techs. You can also beat up on your neighbors for more prestige, but make sure you research medicine first or you'll lose a ton of manpower to attrition. For industrializing, you're going to have to put your reactionary party in charge so that you can build factories manually. Lumber, furniture, and luxury furniture are all great to produce because you produce all of the materials yourself. Also try encouraging soldiers in your provinces so that you get more military score.

Also a little side bit about building factories: If you build the factory in the same state as one or more of its input goods (like say, a steel factory in a state that produces iron), that factory will get a pretty significant throughput boost (varies by factory but around 25% for having all of them). This also applies to manufactured goods - so you can plop a steel factory in a state with iron and coal for a 25% throughput bonus to that, then a machine parts factory which will gain its own 25% boost from having both steel and coal in the same state. Throughput efficiency isn't as important as input or output efficiency, since the latter are basically "free goods" while the former only allows for more input -> output to be processed per craftsman, but it can be worthwhile if you have more input goods available than you are able to use up, or if you have a small population and need to squeeze as much out of each craftsman as you can.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

I think there's also a factory bonus to having it fully staffed, but I forget which imput (prolly throughput as well). Although throughput isn't anything to knock, having that extra ability to produce large quantities -- especially in the early game when there aren't as many stacking bonuses -- can really let you price others out the market and secure a chunk of the market with less of a burden on your subsidies.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

For industrializing, you're going to have to put your reactionary party in charge so that you can build factories manually. Lumber, furniture, and luxury furniture are all great to produce because you produce all of the materials yourself. Also try encouraging soldiers in your provinces so that you get more military score.

one of the great things about V2 is that sometimes little quirks of the gameplay mechanics like this push you into making objectively awful decisions for your people because it makes things more convenient and controllable for you, the leader

after all, what could go wrong with decades of reactionary dominance in japan

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
V2 is one of those games where gaming the system can be fun for a while but ends up being too easy to exploit due to the nature of absolute control. After a while, just taking up the role and being the leader that people elected or following along with what an absolute monarch would have done to retain power becomes far more interesting and more fun as a game. Also means you get to see a lot more of the fun government types and rebels.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rynoto posted:

V2 is one of those games where gaming the system can be fun for a while but ends up being too easy to exploit due to the nature of absolute control. After a while, just taking up the role and being the leader that people elected or following along with what an absolute monarch would have done to retain power becomes far more interesting and more fun as a game. Also means you get to see a lot more of the fun government types and rebels.

They've tried to add a few advantages to interventionism/laissez-faire economic policy (factories get a bonus to input and output efficiency on more "open" types), but it still doesn't really make up for the capitalist AI making stupid decisions about what to build. A factory that goes broke because nobody wants to buy luxury clothes isn't going to be saved by producing MORE luxury clothes.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Rynoto posted:

This is the case for any Paradox Game, IMO. Like yeah, you could play for the world conquest genetic superhumans angle in CK2, but at some point it's just a lot more fun to roleplay as a retarded bellicose dumbass king and go along for the ride.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The worst thing about V2 for me is what an enormous pain in the rear end it is to ascertain the correct information to make good decisions. Let's say you want to plan around satisfying your pops' needs with factories. So how do you figure out what to build? Well, you can go to the trade screen and it will show you the total needs of all your pops. But it won't show you anything more, like how much of their needs are already satisfied or how much they're buying domestically. And what do you do if one of your factories has a resource shortage? First you have to figure out why (production screen), and if it's because none is available for you, you have to figure out a way to get it. If you're a GP you can sphere a nation, but how do you decide on which one? The trade screen only shows you the top 5 producers and those are usually another GP or China. So you have to go to the map and use the RGO map mode to find your resource, and then kind of guess as to what their output is.

It's just that easy!

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah poor communication is Victoria's #1 weakness. The only reason most people think the economy is too complicated to understand (it isn't) is because of how hard it is to get the information you actually want to know out of it. The detailed charts are nice and all, but the game badly needs a "high level" summary page with information like overall needs vs. needs met (split between life/daily/luxury rather than lumped together like the pop needs on the trade UI), top reasons why needs aren't being met, that sort of thing. With the option to drill down into more detail if you want to.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Rome 2 when?

aqu
Aug 1, 2006

But Mooooooooom

Paradox CEO Fred Wester reveals Victoria III
will be announced by the year 2025

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The 100th Anniversary of Armistice Day would be a pretty good day to announce it.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Now would be a better day

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

I vote for the Paradox cryptocurrency be named the "eDucat".

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I'm the implication that there's a team for it

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

DrSunshine posted:

I vote for the Paradox cryptocurrency be named the "eDucat".
I'm pretty sure it would be "eKroner".

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Senor Dog posted:

Now would be a better day

:hai:

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I'm glad he's being replaced now.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Mantis42 posted:

I'm glad he's being replaced now.

'Replaced'. He's becoming the OverBoss of his old position. :shobon:

Heck, the podcast is called 'Ascension of Fred'

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Mans posted:

Rome 2 when?

They did say they'd announce a new game at pdxcon.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

This is the second time they’ve teased us about not announcing Victoria 3. In the past, they’ve always teased us about not announcing Rome II instead.

Rome II is coming.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

This is the second time they’ve teased us about not announcing Victoria 3. In the past, they’ve always teased us about not announcing Rome II instead.

Rome II is coming.

Is there a good game in Rome 2? Isn't Rome 2 like starting EU4 as France at the height of their powers?

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

In the early start for EU:Rome the Carthaginians, Seleucids and Egyptians are all bigger than Rome. Rome's real advantage at that start is it's central position, that it's more compact with easier to defend borders and has better infantry than the other main powers.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

As a (very) junior exec in a listed business, I was really impressed with the actual information / content in that podcast. There were real, even quite potentially controversial business questions tackled much more directly than is normal and as a result it felt very honest. It was a real reminder of how badly corporate communications are usually done.

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style

Beefeater1980 posted:

As a (very) junior exec in a listed business, I was really impressed with the actual information / content in that podcast. There were real, even quite potentially controversial business questions tackled much more directly than is normal and as a result it felt very honest. It was a real reminder of how badly corporate communications are usually done.

I know a couple of pdx employees post here every once in a while. If you have any specific questions it doesn't hurt to ask!

(Also which podcast?)

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

IAmThatIs posted:

I know a couple of pdx employees post here every once in a while. If you have any specific questions it doesn't hurt to ask!

(Also which podcast?)

It's a podcast via YouTube for whatever reason.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

algebra testes posted:

Is there a good game in Rome 2? Isn't Rome 2 like starting EU4 as France at the height of their powers?

If Rome 2 turns out to just be blobbing like in EU4, yeah it would be pretty lame. I'd like to see a CK2-esque game with lots of internal bickering.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

algebra testes posted:

Do you think united Rome is the only playable nation in EU: Rome? :psyduck:

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
And isn't the start date like in 400bc when rome was like kidnapping women

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Phi230 posted:

Did Rome ever stop?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Did Rome ever stop?

From a female friend who recently visited Italy and had to deal with dudes on the street, no.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell

Phi230 posted:

EU:Rome starts with the Pyrrhic War, so 280 BC. If they rolled back the start date by a century or so you could have Rome start as an OPM. It would probably be a really boring century to play though.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Lol, just lol, if your first campaign in Rome II isn't the People's Republic of Crete.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

unwantedplatypus posted:

Lol, just lol, if your first campaign in Rome II isn't the People's Republic of Crete.

Was that Wiz's lp? That was amazing. Second only to that game he played where he got other people to win giant world wars for him but he claimed all the land.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

unwantedplatypus posted:

Looking forward to the in-joke cheevos in Rome 2.

Best of All the Animals - As Crete, own all horse-producing provinces in the game.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Sometimes I wonder if art of war and apocalypse were really worth giving up the wiz LPs for

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah poor communication is Victoria's #1 weakness. The only reason most people think the economy is too complicated to understand (it isn't) is because of how hard it is to get the information you actually want to know out of it. The detailed charts are nice and all, but the game badly needs a "high level" summary page with information like overall needs vs. needs met (split between life/daily/luxury rather than lumped together like the pop needs on the trade UI), top reasons why needs aren't being met, that sort of thing. With the option to drill down into more detail if you want to.

I totally agree, but you know that if they implimented a system like this into Victoria 3 the internet would implode with people complaining about how they ruined the Victoria franchise by making it to a babby toy.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

ExtraNoise posted:

I totally agree, but you know that if they implimented a system like this into Victoria 3 the internet would implode with people complaining about how they ruined the Victoria franchise by making it to a babby toy.

Yeah but they said the same thing about HoI4. Thankfully no one involved actually seems to listen to them.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Rynoto posted:

There's no incentive to not gaming the system is the problem. Reactionary parties, for example, should not want to industrialize, as that directly hurts their power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Man the late stage EU4 user interface is a loving clusterfuck.