Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I don't get why some people are so obsessed with being "first" in a zipper merge.

Why is it so hard to understand that if one car is slightly ahead, you just merge in behind it? Some people...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Zipper merges are a classic prisoner's dilemma. If everyone would pull their head out of their rear end it would work and traffic would flow, but no one I've seen ever does so its just road rage and major slowdowns.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's gonna be a major slowdown no matter what, you're trying to stuff a number of cars into half the space they previously occupied.

A perfect zipper merge saves some time but it's not some magic cure all for congestion.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

xzzy posted:

It's gonna be a major slowdown no matter what, you're trying to stuff a number of cars into half the space they previously occupied.

A perfect zipper merge saves some time but it's not some magic cure all for congestion.

It's the magic cure for unfairness when it works.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

xzzy posted:

It'll still be a slowdown, sure, but not nearly as bad as everyone immediately getting into the surviving lane and traffic backing way the hell up while the impatient assholes speed down to the very end and try to force their way in. Then its a massive slowdown because other assholes try to get in front of those guys and they just block each other. People do that poo poo constantly in the area where I live and its a pain in the rear end. And of course there's always the few people who try to do it correctly and get blocked out by the guys who think they're cheating by not merging at the very end behind everyone else and blocking the merging lane. Ugh.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I might just be imagining things, but I find I get fewer vigilantes when I am going really slow to use up the available lane before merging. Maybe they can tell I'm cognizant of the traffic situation and just trying to keep things flowing?

Nah, it's just luck.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Lol just lol if you don’t change lanes into the lane that is ending and continue to drive past the gore point using the shoulder until you find a timid driver that won’t block you from rejoining the lane

Sarcasm

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

tuna posted:

I'm not the nicest of drivers, but this happened this morning. I can only assume he thought it was "unjust" that I managed to overtake him (although my following distance is v.bad). He went onto the shoulder to cut back in well past the dashed lines end and the merge was essentially completed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iSCbw2cg7c

(bonus rear footage of him purposely pacing me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bXzTe3T7JQ )

It blows my mind that he'd want to get a ding on insurance over this perceived slight (as would I if I didn't yield to him).

After all was said and done he stuck around in lane ~4 going well below the speed limit for the rest of the journey :confused:

this guy was dumb but you made this situation 100% worse by being a complete shithead

hth

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
:stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vbf4Vt4kfx0&t=13s

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
lol good video but should definitely edit his own stupid commentary out

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

This is why I don't have sound on my dash cam.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
So, the cop didn't go precisely to provoke that, right?

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
If I hadn’t been on my toes this morning I would’ve run up the arse of the garbage truck that skidded its rear into my lane as I got off the motorway. The council guys who drive them tend to hoon about most of the but in the wet the guy should have given himself a little more stopping time to avoid the entire truck blocking two lanes. He got it corrected but it was a bit too close for my liking.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

wayfinder posted:

So, the cop didn't go precisely to provoke that, right?

Has to be. He had plenty of opportunities to go.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

MrLogan posted:

Has to be. He had plenty of opportunities to go.

seemed like a perfectly reasonable example of when you should wait to yield on your merge into traffic.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Waiting for more room is the right thing to do with a yield sign.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
That video also made me realize that I just can't bear digital indicator sounds.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
The guy yelling is hilarious 🤠

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Brolander posted:

The guy yelling is hilarious 🤠

lol, just look up some of his other videos where you actually get to look at his face

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I just saw a guy make a left turn into a right-turn only lane on a divided street such that he was driving the wrong way until the concrete divider stopped, then he cut over.

I really need to set up my dashcam, would have been easier to share a video. Complete moron.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

BraveUlysses posted:

this guy was dumb but you made this situation 100% worse by being a complete shithead

hth

:thumbsup: I honked at a guy and eventually let them in. What a terrible situation.

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9V9xLWo-ccE&feature=youtu.be :cripes:

tuna fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Feb 26, 2018

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

tuna posted:

:thumbsup: I honked at a guy and eventually let them in. What a terrible situation.

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9V9xLWo-ccE&feature=youtu.be :cripes:

Yeah, eventually. He was wrong to push in, and literally nothing good came from you fighting it. You let him make you angry and lost focus on the traffic around you.

I'm sure many of us in this thread have been there, and have behaved similarly, but take some insight from your own behaviour instead of pretending there's nothing you could've done better and next time you find yourself in an encounter with a twatwaffle try to resolve the situation as quickly and calmly as possible.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Measly Twerp posted:

Yeah, eventually. He was wrong to push in, and literally nothing good came from you fighting it. You let him make you angry and lost focus on the traffic around you.

I'm sure many of us in this thread have been there, and have behaved similarly, but take some insight from your own behaviour instead of pretending there's nothing you could've done better and next time you find yourself in an encounter with a twatwaffle try to resolve the situation as quickly and calmly as possible.

Yeah I got angrier than I should've, I know that. At the time I mostly wanted to make sure the guy willing to drive into me was at least mildly inconvenienced while doing it but I met my match and the madlad would've done it. I usually don't get this angry but I was late for work and in a bad mood to begin with, if I was actually this angry taking the 405 every single day I'd have blown my brains out by now.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

tuna posted:

Yeah I got angrier than I should've, I know that. At the time I mostly wanted to make sure the guy willing to drive into me was at least mildly inconvenienced while doing it but I met my match and the madlad would've done it. I usually don't get this angry but I was late for work and in a bad mood to begin with, if I was actually this angry taking the 405 every single day I'd have blown my brains out by now.

It's fair to say that we're all going to get angry sometimes. It's just that any time someone's flippant about an incident behind the wheel, it often turns this thread into a multi-page derail about how stupid they are.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

I'm glad you posted the link tuna and your truck looks really cool. I'm sorry it's necessary for the boys of online to constantly try to dunk on each other about who is the most proper roadway gentleman

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
Lately I've been scaling back on my anger levels at stupid drivers and have reduced my road rage (not actual rage, but I dunno what other phrase fits) to road irritation. My blood pressure is down and I feel a bit better for it.

I've even worked up some road appreciation for drivers that use their turn signals properly and/or know how a roundabout is supposed to work.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

dee eight posted:

I've even worked up some road appreciation for drivers that use their turn signals properly and/or know how a roundabout is supposed to work.

On an sensible level I know that most drivers around here are OK - they check their blind spots, don't block intersections, zipper merge properly, etc. So I always try to judge individual drivers and not groups of them.

e: over lunch I watched a pickup reverse down an onramp and then a cube van mount a traffic island multiple times while attempting to drive straight. lol

Whiz Palace fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 27, 2018

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

BraveUlysses posted:

lol good video but should definitely edit his own stupid commentary out

Speak for yourself, I got a nice laugh out of that.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

MrOnBicycle posted:

That video also made me realize that I just can't bear digital indicator sounds.

You should be able to customise them. Especially customise other people's cars 😈 Crying_baby.wav

I was going to get one of those toy sheep which goes Baaa when you squeeze it and hook it up to the indicator relay, but it turned out to be :effort:

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

About a month ago I went to lunch with my coworkers at a place we often go. As we were leaving we came to a 4 way stop in the parking lot. I waited my turn and as I went, the car across from me tried to turn left across my path. I kept going so he stopped and gave me the angry "what the gently caress" hands. I got irrationally angry because I'd already been waiting for people not taking their turns so I flipped him off and went about my day.

Next time we went to lunch there I learned that they took the stop sign out from his direction so it's now only a 3 way stop and incoming traffic (that guy) has right of way. I felt like a huge rear end in a top hat. It's me, the people you share the road with.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

To be fair, when one road at an intersection has different stop rules than all the other roads, those "other roads" are supposed to have signage indicating that.

Such as "traffic from right does not stop" or whatever.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Stopped at a red and I saw a minivan cruising down the road with what looked like a suspension arm or strut hanging down underneath it. I haven't had that happen, so how oblivious must he have been to not notice that?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

sleepy.eyes posted:

Stopped at a red and I saw a minivan cruising down the road with what looked like a suspension arm or strut hanging down underneath it. I haven't had that happen, so how oblivious must he have been to not notice that?

Have you met people?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Beach Bum posted:

Have you met people?

I have, they're all jerks.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

sleepy.eyes posted:

how oblivious must he have been to not notice that?

I'd bet :10bux: they know. They just don't care.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

LloydDobler posted:

About a month ago I went to lunch with my coworkers at a place we often go. As we were leaving we came to a 4 way stop in the parking lot. I waited my turn and as I went, the car across from me tried to turn left across my path. I kept going so he stopped and gave me the angry "what the gently caress" hands. I got irrationally angry because I'd already been waiting for people not taking their turns so I flipped him off and went about my day.

Next time we went to lunch there I learned that they took the stop sign out from his direction so it's now only a 3 way stop and incoming traffic (that guy) has right of way. I felt like a huge rear end in a top hat. It's me, the people you share the road with.

Three way stops like that are extra stupid. If a lot of traffic from that direction is left turning it can completely poo poo up the intersection for everyone else.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Nah. They’re used here for the incoming cars. That way they don’t get backed up into the real intersection.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Javid posted:

Three way stops like that are extra stupid. If a lot of traffic from that direction is left turning it can completely poo poo up the intersection for everyone else.

I know a lot of mall intersections that are similar. All outgoing traffic must stop, all ingoing traffic does not. Can make left-turning out of the mall a complete pain in the rear end.

Suppose it's better than letting the traffic overflow into the outer intersection though.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Can't imagine why the mall might want it to be easier to get in than out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

LloydDobler posted:

This is me when they made a previously 2 way stop into a 4 way stop with no signage to indicate the intersection had changed. I was doing 45 and thought someone didn’t yield the right of way and was crossing in front of me.

Within a couple days they had temporary signs indicating the new intersection.