Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sven
Oct 4, 2005

Anime Reference posted:

Everybody swears up and down that Blackouts are soooo much better than EMGs but I honestly can't really hear the difference.

I'm actually thinking of converting my EC-1000 to passives but I haven't decided which ones yet.

I did this to my older EC-1000, went with a JB and Jazz2 combo. I like them, but sometimes i think maybe i should have gone for bog standard PAF clones of some kind because they sound kinda dry when on a clean channel.

Also, getting a ground wire to the bridge post from the control cavity was scary poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

Tune to standard then drop everything one semi-tone flat.
This is my go-to, and these are my reasons:

SRV did it
EVH did it
It makes it easier to sing (yeah, I try to sing)
It makes 0.010's feel more like 0.090's but sound heavier (sometimes, that depends on how your electronics, rig, and picking technique come together.)

That's enough reasons for me, which lead to me asking each band I tried to get off the ground: "Are you ok with everyone in the band transposing down 1/2 step?" Most keyboard players had no issue with it. Bassists, on the other hand, especially if they played 5-strings, would object that the loss in string tension created rubbery. badly intonated tones. They weren't wrong, but I would counter that they could do like I do and just go up a string gauge. Some were ok with that, some not.

The singers pretty much universally agreed that singing 1/2-step down was A-OK.

Unless I am forced to, I will always defend the 1/2-step down tuning as a good thing for a band, cover tunes or no cover tunes.

Aside:
King's X (my favorite band, to a point) did crazy 6-string tunings that I can only bust out on my hard tail guitars, and I'm assisted by my string gauges (Light top/Heavy Bottom) which is basically 0.010" to 0.56" so those low B and C notes (which 1/2 step down translates to A# and B notes on the lowest end) aren't flubby and loose due to their size.

For me, it's a really cool middle ground between baritone guitars, 7+ string guitars, and weird detunings. Works for me, but YMMV.

I hope that made sense. If I need to clarify anything, just let me know.

Chalupa Joe posted:

The DiMarzio :siren: TONE ZONE:siren: and air Norton pickups that Ibanez are using these days sound like poo poo. The old V7 and 8s they used to have were much nicer.
I won't say anything about the Air Norton because I don't know it well.
But I do have a friend who almost exclusively uses ToneZones in the bridge position. I've played them all (it's more than ten guitars) and I just can't get behind it except as a one-trick-pony. Mazzive gain and harmonics but really harsh (what I call "fake" pick-attack, from Paul Gilbert's old need to file his pickups to a point) and I like the airy, bright pick-attack that comes from more vintage output pickups but needs another gain stage when you need to play high-gain sustaining solos. I fall back on overdrive pedals for that part of a song, and leave them off because the amps I play love the lower output humbuckers and man, they talk when you dig in with the pick just in rhythm playing.
He resists this advice and has some great amps that he wants to ditch because he "is constantly reaching for the volume knob, looking for more gain" but thinks using a pedal is somehow cheating.

Don't ask me, I can't explain that.

I would have a ToneZone but only for one use, and I don't have many guitars that are uni-taskers. :shrug:

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Feb 28, 2018

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Chrpno posted:

I was trying to work out what the"Hot Hand" does, and the answer is it makes everything sound like poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNQB2JWI98w

I wonder if that thing would gently caress with a pacemaker

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Sven posted:

I did this to my older EC-1000, went with a JB and Jazz2 combo. I like them, but sometimes i think maybe i should have gone for bog standard PAF clones of some kind because they sound kinda dry when on a clean channel.

Also, getting a ground wire to the bridge post from the control cavity was scary poo poo.

Apparently the newer guitars tend to already have this, even the ones with active pickups. I think mine does -- I'm not 100% sure because there's a lot of excess wire in the cavity that keeps me from getting a good look. If it doesn't I'll probably have a shop do it because I have zero confidence in my drilling abilities.

As far as what pickups, I'm really interested in Black Winters but I'm also considering lower-output options like Jazz/Jazz. (I read somewhere that Bill Steer used a pair of '59s when he was in Carcass :psyduck:)

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Black Winters ooooooown.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Low Output Pickups are rad. Both my Larrivée and my PRS have them and they're incredibly versatile. OTOH, I really like the Fishman Fluence my LTD came with because DAYUM.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Stupid music poo poo I would like to see on the market: A thing I did years ago when at Uni was borrow a friend's volume pedal; hook it up directly next to my wah and duct taped a piece of wood over the rocker pedals to make one big pedal that controlled both at the same time. Volume + Wah combined is stupid fun and if I could be bothered/understood the electrical pixies enough to do it, I'd build an all in one that covers this. Of course if any of you know of something off the shelf which already does this, please let me know.

Spanish Manlove posted:

For clean stuff: not worth it. For high gain: good pickups are mandatory.

That being said, a good pickup is like $80-$100 not $200+ each

I disagree, although it depends on what you're going for. I'm very picky about my clean tones and can hear a distinct difference between the pickups in my guitars when playing clean, although they are quite varied so that would have a hand to play in that situation. I absolutely agree with you on the pricing though. Things get typically snake oily once you hit a certain pricing threshold.

Chalupa Joe posted:

The DiMarzio :siren: TONE ZONE:siren: and air Norton pickups that Ibanez are using these days sound like poo poo. The old V7 and 8s they used to have were much nicer.

That doesn't leave me with a good impression of the Tone Zone and Air Norton as I found the V7 and V8 to be incredibly thin and shrill sounding. There were numerous people on a bunch of forums posting about improving the V7 and V8 by swapping the magnets but I skipped that at went for a straight upgrade. I like my Evolutions (I, not tried the II) and my VBT came with D-Sonics which were supposed to be passive pickups that could rival EMG's... they don't, but they aren't bad.

Dr. Faustus posted:

EVH did it + Other reasons

Bingo. :) But to the poster who suggested Corgan, I'm edging very close to the same hair style if that's a help?

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Of course if any of you know of something off the shelf which already does this, please let me know.

mutron c-200

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Thank you!

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Savatage tuned to Drop C (CGCFAD) on Hall of the Mountain King and it was rad. Well, that's my tuning story.

I actually like tuning a semitone down, I think mainly because, yes, EVH did it. It offers just enough slack to make things a bit easier while not being too low that it starts to get muddy.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Please be aware that, though Muppets on PCP was being truthful, a used Mutron C-200 can set you back for like 700 dollars. If I'm not Mistaken, some of the GIG-FX pedals can do both and just set you back for like 200 bucks.

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It

Dr. Faustus posted:

Bassists, on the other hand, especially if they played 5-strings, would object that the loss in string tension created rubbery. badly intonated tones. They weren't wrong, but I would counter that they could do like I do and just go up a string gauge. Some were ok with that, some not.

I played with a singer/songwriter who started dropping everything a half-step. I have been with him for a while before making the switch. I couldn't transpose on the fly that easily since muscle memory would kick in and I'd be a lovely semi-tone off. So for that instance I de-tuned a half step.

Typically I just let the guitar be whatever tuning it needs to be and just transpose as I play. I usually don't use a lot of open notes so it's pretty easy. I don't really understand why a 5 string player would have to de-tune though since the instrument has the range. Just for open notes?

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
From a bass perspective I guess it depends what sort of music you're playing, if you're playing some sort of hammer on/pull offy type riff then it can be easier on the wrist to tune to match. Whole tone intervals or C# are ok to transpose to on a five string but Eb is definitely one I would just downtune.

if nothing else when writing or learning another player's song its often more straightforward to fret-watch. One of my (many) failed endeavours the other guitarist insisted on being in drop C whearas on the whole I prefer standard, in the end I returned my guitar to match his because it was just faster than mentally transposing anything on the other five strings down two frets. The bassist used really light strings on his 5 string and tuned it up, that tension made me wince.

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Feb 28, 2018

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
I tuned my jazz bass down to C standard, and dropped that lowest string to A# for a few songs. I put big rear end strings on it, but it worked for me, no problem for years.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
For the longest time, I also just used thicker strings: My first big (sorta; it paid the bills well enough for everyone, so I guess it counts?) band, both me and the Bass Player tuned to either C# or C, but the other guitar player used Drop C# or Drop C. Since he mostly just did melodies/figures/intervals/solos, he didn't need to tune as low as the rhythm section did. He hated doing string-skipping and the GLARES he'd give me or the late bassist when either he composed a song with string-skipping or I included choppy rhythms was priceless.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Rifter17 posted:

Just for open notes?
This, and also not all bassists are so quick at transposing so it's easier to just have us both tuned the same.

I'm not playing in any kind of ensemble at the moment so it's a non-issue. If I want to practice with something that's in standard, I like that I can just put it on my phone, lower it a semi-tone through an app, and stream that via Bluetooth to my home theater. and that's just one of several options.

If you'd told me in the 90s the kind of capabilities we'd have today, I would've thought you were loving with me.

Of course, I'd have felt the same way if you'd told me about guitar and bass prices.

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008

syntaxfunction posted:

Are expensive as gently caress pickups stupid guitar poo poo? Every now and again I think "hey I should replace my guitar's pickups" and then start listening to samples of Seymour Duncan and bareknuckle and stuff.

Apart from really bad pickups though I can never hear anything that justifies upgrading the already good pickups. I'm beginning to think there's a lot of smoke and mirrors with pickups. "These ones sound clearer and more full maaaan."

I am suspect.

Can't speak for humbuckers, but for single coils, I upgraded my ceramic Standard Stratocaster pickups to 57/62 reissue a while back and it was totally worth it. They're mid-priced pickups compared to say a Seymour Duncan equivalent, but I think them and the other reissue pickups they have are the best available single coil pickups period.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Wark Say posted:

Please be aware that, though Muppets on PCP was being truthful, a used Mutron C-200 can set you back for like 700 dollars. If I'm not Mistaken, some of the GIG-FX pedals can do both and just set you back for like 200 bucks.

No kidding. The first one I found was on Reverb for £545 and at first I thought optimistic seller but nooooooope, that seems to be the average going price. Maybe I will dig out the soldering iron and get to work on something.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kj2Ib20pNBw

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I don't mind that, for some reason.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
I hate it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ivOfkqFmxg

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, I made the mistake of looking at the related videos. I wish they'd instead Hoglan'd the gently caress out of some tunes.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
lars should have been the one that the bus fell on

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Spanish Manlove posted:

lars should have been the one that the bus fell on

i dream of lars ulrich being thrown through the bus window instead of my mystikal master kliff burton

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

God knows what COVIDs you people have

To digress from tuning chat, I found a bit of a treasure trove (might have already been posted) called Hembry Guitars. You're gonna want to sit down.

Imagine all of your middle-school margin doodles coming to life in vivid plywood and double-digit pickup combinations. Now imagine no more. Let me take you on an odyssey of the strangest collection of musical instruments I've seen in my life.

Although this comparison is kind of mean to that cat.

"Blues guitar, huh? Yeah we can do that"

:sterv:

An ergonomic dreamboat

And because us bassists are the worst sinners, here's a headcrab with knobs on its rear end and a Signature Pocket:

The lesson here is that just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

AveMachina fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Mar 2, 2018

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Holy poo poo

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Jr. bringing that A-game.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

I've seen a few videos of that guy Larsing classic pop and rock songs, and I think he does a spot on impression of Ulrich's playing style. Over-exaggerated moves, snare breaks in places they do't fit, sloppy rhythm, making faces to the camera, losing the beat with every fill.

In my band we are already using the verb "Hetfielding" about when rock vocalists make words that begin with a vowel begin with a W instead, or generally sounding like Dave Grohl's Scott Stapp impression. Like, when in the studio I can be told "yeah, great singing on the verse, but you totally hetfielded the first line on the chorus, was that intentional?". I think we'll start using the verb "Larsing" as well.

Other habits of playing or singing that should be named after the main offenders? I think "Bellamying" is a good term for inhaling really loud between the singing lines.

kjetting fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Mar 2, 2018

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

kjetting posted:

Other habits of playing or singing that should be named after the main offenders? I think "Bellamying" is a good term for inhaling really loud between the singing lines.

"Halfording" for metal falsetto is one my friends and I have been using for a while.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

kjetting posted:

"Bellamying" should mean "Not knowing when to tone it the gently caress down".

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Last Christmas I toyed with doing a hetfielded cover of Jingle All the Way purely because I can envision exactly how the “laughing all the way/ha ha ha” but would go.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

"Jingle beyls, jingle beyls-AH, jingle all the way-AH-YEAAAH!"

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

KozmoNaut posted:

"Jingle beyls, jingle beyls-AH, jingle all the way-AH-YEAAAH!"

i'm not kidding that i'm looking forward to his inevitable country career once metallica calls it quits

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIFeJU2HPmo

also lol he's a better drummer than lars

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Hetfielding down to a science:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0bOV3Btr_M&t=48s

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
sorry but this has been iso certified as the greatest non-hetfield example of hetfielding. also the best danzig impression right before it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGEbzMJ7LCU&t=324s

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Jr. posted:

Imagine all of your middle-school margin doodles coming to life in vivid plywood and double-digit pickup combinations. Now imagine no more. Let me take you on an odyssey of the strangest collection of musical instruments I've seen in my life.

Pretty sure that's based off EVH's star guitar. Which Charvel released a signature model of a few years ago.

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

God knows what COVIDs you people have

Pretty sure that's based off EVH's star guitar. Which Charvel released a signature model of a few years ago.

Oh eddie no

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Eddie Van Halen, much like Brian May, is a man of action. That the results of their action can sometimes be less than stellar shouldn't mean that we need to stop encouraging them. :colbert:

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
don't forget his sickass patent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

The Muppets On PCP posted:

don't forget his sickass patent

I can't find the youtube video of him using it on tour at the moment but yes this happened.

Later he switched for a perspex board.

The eighties were a magical time of weird.