Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I started having a better time with Zenith once I had a time traveler who started every mission with shields. As soon as she gets some decent level up abilities I think it'll completely negate how awful the starting ramming car can be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Having a good island 1 snowballs hard when you max your grid and start pumpin defense, letting you play more aggressively on later maps with 25-35% resist chance.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

Okay is it me or is the Zenith Guard squad fuckin' awful? The Rustmans are godly and I don't really have anyone else unlocked yet.

If you have the pilot that gives his mech + 1 armor, toss him in the Charger and go ham. It completely negates the self damage.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Broken Cog posted:

If you have the pilot that gives his mech + 1 armor, toss him in the Charger and go ham. It completely negates the self damage.

I haven't been lucky enough to find that dude yet. I DID however get lucky enough to get a Brute-class gun for the Grapple Mech that did one point of self-damage. Since the Grapple Mech has innate armor this was a complete non-issue and suddenly I had the ability to do direct damage AND push with the Grappler.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Broken Cog posted:

Well yeah, but you only get to use the shield twice on the charger (three times with the upgrade) and then you're SOL if the battle isn't over by then because he'll blow himself up. That's what I'm struggling with mostly.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

Well yeah, but you only get to use the shield twice on the charger (three times with the upgrade) and then you're SOL if the battle isn't over by then because he'll blow himself up. That's what I'm struggling with mostly.

Do you not take a turn now and then to repair yourself? Also 1-2 damage isn't a huge deal, the Charger has some health to spare and you shouldn't be worried too much about high damage attacks early one. The worst they'll throw at you in island one is Leapers that do 3 HP, but at the same time they only have 1 themselves.

You don't need your units to end the battle pristine.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Alkydere posted:

Do you not take a turn now and then to repair yourself? Also 1-2 damage isn't a huge deal, the Charger has some health to spare and you shouldn't be worried too much about high damage attacks early one. The worst they'll throw at you in island one is Leapers that do 3 HP, but at the same time they only have 1 themselves.

You don't need your units to end the battle pristine.

If you're not killing things fast enough you may not have the option to take a repair without either taking damage on a different mech or on a building as a result.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Nephzinho posted:

If you're not killing things fast enough

Think I found yer problem. Figure out how to kill 'em faster. The charger bot is why you're given a crazy laser great at taking down multiple people.

You're gonna have to sacrifice something if you can't figure it out. Them's the breaks.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

It just seems like a waste when you could have another mech killing bugs in the time it would take to repair the charger. Turn counts are low and there's always at least a couple bugs rushing down your buildings. The laser mech very good, but overall it feels like a weak squad.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Zenith Guard loving rule and I'm glad I went with them for my first unlock.

They've got some minor issues with knockback/disruption compared to the basic squad, but they make up for it well enough with the laser mech and being able to shield buildings. The rammer's not fantastic, but some extra health quickly mitigates its main issues and it can cover an insane amount of ground.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

That's strange because it seems like it's one of the easiest, most murderous squads out there. Even with the RNG mega-gently caress I got (The tiles I started my Laser and Charger both became lightning tiles, and then they both got webbed) leading to a full squad-wipe I still facerolled the final battle with that squad.

Cronodoculous
Jun 29, 2006

You light up my life

I found... a secret?

I destroyed a mountain, which spawned a green light! I collected the green light, which spawned a time pod! I collected the time pod, which contained... A ZOLTAN! He give bonus reactor power and starts every turn with a shield, but he also reduces his mech's health to 1. PRETTY COOL.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Cronodoculous posted:

I found... a secret?

I destroyed a mountain, which spawned a green light! I collected the green light, which spawned a time pod! I collected the time pod, which contained... A ZOLTAN! He give bonus reactor power and starts every turn with a shield, but he also reduces his mech's health to 1. PRETTY COOL.

Hell Yea.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

That's sick as gently caress.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Not feeling the Steel Judoka. Chugging bugs around is fun, but it feels like you're too dependent on the arbitrary whims of the AI to get stuff done. Especially on the boss levels.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I have to say I was expecting a little more advance wars and a little less block puzzle with robot/insect skins but hey, game's still good.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Cronodoculous posted:

I found... a secret?

I was watching some stream last night before going to bed, and the streamer had a pilot who I'm like 95% certain was a Rockman. Unfortunately I tuned in too late to see him get the pilot, and he never once commented on it, so I might have been mistaken.

Now I'm really hoping there's a secret pilot for every FTL race.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

quiggy posted:

I was watching some stream last night before going to bed, and the streamer had a pilot who I'm like 95% certain was a Rockman. Unfortunately I tuned in too late to see him get the pilot, and he never once commented on it, so I might have been mistaken.

Now I'm really hoping there's a secret pilot for every FTL race.

I've found a mantis pilot as well, changes his heal into a 2 damage melee attack. So yeah there probably is, wonder how the crystal guys will be.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I'm actually pretty disappointed with the soundtrack as compared to FTL's. It's still good don't get me wrong, but it doesn't knock it out of the park like FTL's did. It was probably the transition between combat and non-combat that really made it sing, which makes me wish (solely for musical reasons) that your turn was just 'planning' and all your mechs actions would happen accompanied with the music swelling, followed by the enemy actions. Really minor thing, but noticeable coming off of FTL.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Well I guess when I'm playing tonight I have to start planning on how to not only kill bugs but explode mountains

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

IcePhoenix posted:

Well I guess when I'm playing tonight I have to start planning on how to not only kill bugs but explode mountains

you can crash one into the other

would you like to know more

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Really Pants posted:

:yeah:

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.
Well at least now i know where to start for that achievement.

Oh, once you unlock every squad there's a hidden squad to unlock for another 25 coins.
To do that you need to get every single other achievement.
No idea what the reward is yet, but I'm sure it's going to be awesome.

One hint i have figured out - most of them you don't need to win for. Just aim for the achievement and reset.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Really Pants posted:

To be fair, even though I didn't say it, this was definitely going to be my main strategy. But I've already been doing that and not gotten any extra guys so now I just have to blow them up randomly as well, clearly.

I've actually only gotten one extra pilot even though I haven't lost a single time pod. Either I'm getting really unlucky or the chances of finding them are just really low.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Wish they had a few more endgame scenarios. Getting a bit bored with the same final level in every playthrough.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

ymgve posted:

Wish they had a few more endgame scenarios. Getting a bit bored with the same final level in every playthrough.

Here we go again.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
There should be at least 3 end game scenarios depending if you did 2,3 or 4 islands.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

if you shield a train and hit both tiles of it, apparently it still only gets one bubble that's shared by the entire train and goes away after one hit.

so. uh, heads up about that one so you don't have to find out the way i did

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
is there a way to determine what order the enemies go in? i keep banging my head against the wall trying to make judoka work, and that's kind of important.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

Armor and a shield are two seperate things, they're referring to a different pilot.

Armor is a flat 1 damage negation from attacks.

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

is there a way to determine what order the enemies go in? i keep banging my head against the wall trying to make judoka work, and that's kind of important.

Left alt I believe

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

there's a button you can hover in the top right. easy to miss.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Olpainless posted:

Well at least now i know where to start for that achievement.

Oh, once you unlock every squad there's a hidden squad to unlock for another 25 coins.
To do that you need to get every single other achievement.
No idea what the reward is yet, but I'm sure it's going to be awesome.

One hint i have figured out - most of them you don't need to win for. Just aim for the achievement and reset.

oh god i'm going to be way too tempted to drop difficulty to easy for some of these

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

satellite launches murder your units if you're next to them and don't give a heads-up

e: yeah that's a game over. fun stuff.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Prav posted:

satellite launches murder your units if you're next to them and don't give a heads-up

e: yeah that's a game over. fun stuff.

They do give a heads up though? Red blinky squares.

Not necessarily a big announcement of YO DUMBASS MOVE YOUR poo poo, but you should be mousing over everything you're unfamiliar with anyway. :v:

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
whenever I see one of those octopus things, it all goes red. hate those things.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Bogart posted:

whenever I see one of those octopus things, it all goes red. hate those things.

The only non-lategame octopus I really dislike is the orange one because I will inevitably gently caress up and lose grid power to it.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

oh god i'm going to be way too tempted to drop difficulty to easy for some of these

Yeah, don't even try some of them on anything over than Easy. That should probably be the default for achievement-earning until you're really, really comfortable otherwise.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Wow, the Wind Torrent weapon is ridiculously OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

Broken Cog posted:

Not feeling the Steel Judoka. Chugging bugs around is fun, but it feels like you're too dependent on the arbitrary whims of the AI to get stuff done. Especially on the boss levels.
I had trouble with the first island, but once I got a few upgrades things felt a lot more under control. My verdict is that you can't really rely on enemy turn order and positioning in most situations, but it lets you do some sick poo poo often enough for pheromones to be quite useful. I like the squad because since you have so many movement options it can lead to some really complicated situations.

My take is that Gravity mech's pull cannon is not strong enough to be your default action in crowded fights, so in the long run you need to keep your eye out for alternatives, even if you have to burn an extra power core for a non-Science option. That's just my take based on raw action economy, anyway. Either after two islands or in a time pod on the third I found the brute projectile that does damage based on distance, and that helped a bit, especially since it was one of only two weapons I had that could damage burrowers (a problem enemy for this squad). For the endgame I found the fire artillery cannon, and that was definitely worth the invested cores.