Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

FF9 is actually a decent port. Heck, I'd even say it's good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Tae posted:

FF15 continues to be silly as poo poo and loving it

Man, Prompto got some manboobs.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Caidin posted:

I was just thinking about picking up FFIX from steam but this CT stuff has me slightly leary all of a sudden, can anyone comment on the quality of that port?

The menus/dialogue boxes look awful just like in all the other ports (I guess SE can't afford a graphic designer) and the framerate is locked at 30/20/15 which may or may not be headache-inducing for you.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Your Computer posted:

The menus/dialogue boxes look awful just like in all the other ports (I guess SE can't afford a graphic designer) and the framerate is locked at 30/20/15 which may or may not be headache-inducing for you.

Okay maybe sleeping on that decision for a bit then, thanks.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Caidin posted:

Okay maybe sleeping on that decision for a bit then, thanks.

It's worth mentioning that they didn't make it worse at least, they just... didn't improve it. It's a very 1-to-1 port which for some people are enough, but I really wish they'd taken the extra time and effort to uncouple the framerate.

Playing a game on 15 fps on a CRT TV across the room is one thing, having it right in front of your face on a PC monitor is not pleasant :sigh: Depending on how sensitive you are to flickering it might be fine though.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I played it and didn’t register any of that as a problem, i thought it was a perfectly good version of the game.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Your Computer posted:

It's worth mentioning that they didn't make it worse at least, they just... didn't improve it. It's a very 1-to-1 port which for some people are enough, but I really wish they'd taken the extra time and effort to uncouple the framerate.

Playing a game on 15 fps on a CRT TV across the room is one thing, having it right in front of your face on a PC monitor is not pleasant :sigh: Depending on how sensitive you are to flickering it might be fine though.

I'm drat impressed they managed to pull it off as well as they did tbqh. They lost almost all of the original assets (the original high def fmvs being a notable exception)

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Ventana posted:

This thread gets really weird about 13's battle transition screens and I don't get why. Even my other casual RPG nerd friends don't give a poo poo about battle transitions, and there's still other jRPGs coming out these days that still have battle transitions. It really doesn't matter at all if you can wait 4 seconds.

But you can have battle transitions that don't take 4 seconds

https://i.imgur.com/9Tj2ssI.gifv

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Caidin posted:

I was just thinking about picking up FFIX from steam but this CT stuff has me slightly leary all of a sudden, can anyone comment on the quality of that port?

FF9 is probably the best PC port of all the FFs on steam, no lovely filters and all the models and cutscenes are redone for higher resolution, though they lost the backgrounds so those are still grainy poo poo. They added options to turn encounters on and off along with the turbo FF12 got and a few other comedy options like always hit for max damage or instant trance. As someone who played through the original as a kid and then showed the port to a friend, I definitely liked the port's quality.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Caidin posted:

IX is fine.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I mean its still FFIX, but like, if that doesn't bother you its great.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Tae posted:

FF15 continues to be silly as poo poo and loving it

They just keep doing it. The absolute madmen.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Ventana posted:

This thread gets really weird about 13's battle transition screens and I don't get why. Even my other casual RPG nerd friends don't give a poo poo about battle transitions, and there's still other jRPGs coming out these days that still have battle transitions. It really doesn't matter at all if you can wait 4 seconds.

it's a really weird contrivance that hurts immersion

i can understand it in an age where the hardware wasn't capable of doing something seamless, but it hasn't been a necessity for a very long time. so it's a deliberate stylistic choice, and kind of a weird one.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
The FF9 pc port is the best way to play the game and the menu appearance will bug you for exactly 20 seconds and then you'll be use to it.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

DACK FAYDEN posted:

They just keep doing it. The absolute madmen.

They got tired of the 10 years to release jokes so they're going in the other direction out of spite.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The worst problem with FF9 is the grainy washed out backgrounds because they lost the original renders so they only had what was on the PS1 discs to work with. Other than that it's fine and actually plays better thanks to speed up

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
also what's so bad about the FF13 port?

seemed fine to me

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's fine now, it was a mess at release

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Sapozhnik posted:

i can understand it in an age where the hardware wasn't capable of doing something seamless, but it hasn't been a necessity for a very long time. so it's a deliberate stylistic choice, and kind of a weird one.

Immersion is not the only possible goal or even always desirable. Having a separate game mode for combat and not-combat has always been technically possible, even in RPGs that were far more detailed than Final Fantasy that ran on worse hardware. It's always been a deliberate choice.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

SE's first attempt as no battle transition resulted in FF12 so I'm glad they gave up on it for a while after that

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

A Sometimes Food posted:

I mean I loved it then and still do so prettier SoM is fine,

um...

Bongo Bill posted:

Immersion is not the only possible goal or even always desirable. Having a separate game mode for combat and not-combat has always been technically possible, even in RPGs that were far more detailed than Final Fantasy that ran on worse hardware. It's always been a deliberate choice.

having a separate abstract 'world' for combat helps prevents stuff like goofy it felt to summon ramuh in the ffxv demo and watch this towering behemoth who isn't an abstract concept and actually exists in the context of the overworld nuke a goblin for 9999 damage.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I found FFXII incredibly immersive precisely because it lacked those transitions. I had a ball just running around Ivalice and looking atteh wildlife.

I don't mind battle transitions or anything but FFXII did its own thing quite well.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

FFXII was wildly immersive in that getting anywhere was massively annoying, the world design sucked and no one in the world seemed to be able to maintain roads even through the only entrance and exit through a region, there was gently caress all to do and you spent most of your life wasting your time doing things you were told were important but actually amounted to absolutely nothing.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
did they do a battle transition in FFXIII because maybe crystal tools is a highly unoptimized pile of poo poo?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

"Wow this fantasy world is so immersive. There's like 5 city blocks of town in this state capital and there's endless wilderness right outside its gates! Look there's even a little nomad village just an hours jog away!"

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
It really felt like I was there watching Lightning punch Snow in the face.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

"Wow this fantasy world is so immersive. There's like 5 city blocks of town in this state capital and there's endless wilderness right outside its gates! Look there's even a little nomad village just an hours jog away!"

Literally every final fantasy game?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

MikeJF posted:

Literally every final fantasy game?

Yeah that's kind of my point. These games and narratives don't give a poo poo about being 'immersive' and to act like any one them are good at it is a joke. It's trying to find something to hold on to when a game has basically nothing going on. It's the "Well you've got nice hair" of RPG compliments.

Which is fine because they're all trying to be high fantasy narratives and not trying to build a sane world.

Hell the Best FF is a Shakespearean theater prediction of animal people.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Caidin posted:

FF9 is actually quite good port. It has its moments of engine instability, but it autosaves very generously.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Yeah that's kind of my point. These games and narratives don't give a poo poo about being 'immersive' and to act like any one them are good at it is a joke. It's trying to find something to hold on to when a game has basically nothing going on. It's the "Well you've got nice hair" of RPG compliments.

Which is fine because they're all trying to be high fantasy narratives and not trying to build a sane world.

LOL you are really trying way too hard dude.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Terper posted:

But you can have battle transitions that don't take 4 seconds

Well, back for what they were doing on PS3 in 2009, idk, PS3 always loaded poo poo extremely slowly. Imo yes I prefer a game that looks lovely but runs faster, but we all know that's not really what the general public wants.

Sapozhnik posted:

I mean okay yes, but FF13 came out in 2009, and you were critiquing a game from 2009.

Also, if you're looking for immersion, then FF13 is probably the worst FF for you. I like the game, but immersion is not something they really even try to go for.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

For one, sazh’s hair should be lousy with bird poo poo and piss, but we never see it

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

I'm glad you've realized that not liking a game means you have to come up with every argument, no matter how dumb, that every single aspect of it is the worst thing ever.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Caidin posted:

FFIX might be the most competent port of any game Square Enix has put out on Steam. The Steam version is without a doubt the best version of the game

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

FF12 isn't the worst game ever but it's definiely not worth 2 Copies of Lightning Returns.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Ainsley McTree posted:

For one, sazh’s hair should be lousy with bird poo poo and piss, but we never see it

Birds don't piss

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Barudak posted:

I mean its still FFIX, but like, if that doesn't bother you its great.

Is there a single ff that most people itt like

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I never really hear anything bad about tactics but I've only ever played the first few hours

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Is there a single ff that most people itt like

I'd say it's probably still FF9

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

6 seems popular