Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

When will farmers finally get a real job rather than continuing to suck the blood from honest New Zealand tax payers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
The only time I went to the King's Arms was to see a Jon Toogood acoustic set where he played a whole bunch of kiwi classics, just before I left NZ indefinitely. He had some A+ banter with the crowd talking about various songs and the stories behind them. Felt like an appropriate sendoff for me, as the whole thing was just condensed New Zealand.

Khaal
Mar 22, 2008
pretty appropriate that the last time I was there it was shut down for being too loud (Windhand)

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

I've always thought using virii to control rabbit populations is kinda short-sighted - no virus is 100% lethal, and unless you're going to follow up with a comprehensive program using it her methods in an attempt to eradicate them - which is not really feasible or affordable - they'll be back in five-ten years because they breed like...er...and now the survivors are resistant.

There are not inconsiderable disadvantages to using a virus in the first place (chief amongst which is the possibility of mutation causing off-target species transmission).

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Khaal posted:

pretty appropriate that the last time I was there it was shut down for being too loud (Windhand)

Uuuugh. gently caress the people that moved near it and would then complain about the noise. It was there well before you were, fuckers.
gently caress people that do that at all. I'm looking at you, people near Western Springs and Eden Park.
(Although I do have sympathy for the people that complained about the PowerStation when it started having dance parties and you would hear doof-doof until 7am instead of dying off at midnight).

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

The Rabbi T. White posted:

Uuuugh. gently caress the people that moved near it and would then complain about the noise. It was there well before you were, fuckers.
gently caress people that do that at all. I'm looking at you, people near Western Springs and Eden Park.
(Although I do have sympathy for the people that complained about the PowerStation when it started having dance parties and you would hear doof-doof until 7am instead of dying off at midnight).

Westpac Stadium is only allowed to do 3 concerts a year, because the uppity wankers who live nearby pressured the council to only allow 6 excess-noise events a year, and of course they need to do a soundcheck which counts as one.

Then they complain about how the council investment in the stadium took too long to recoup (despite being paid off earlier than forecast), and how it's not used enough for the amount that was paid in, and fly up to Auckland or the Mission Estate or wherever to see their stuff.

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

Normally it's gently caress the developers for building something with insufficient sound insulation next to a concert venue.

Quite often the people complaining were not a part of the decision process behind the price trade-off.

A lot of the issues are also the obnoxious punters who go to the event, get shitfaced and then spend the rest of the night yelling in the street about how they "want to gently caress that girl" or something else very annoying.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Big Bad Beetleborg posted:

Westpac Stadium is only allowed to do 3 concerts a year, because the uppity wankers who live nearby pressured the council to only allow 6 excess-noise events a year, and of course they need to do a soundcheck which counts as one.

Then they complain about how the council investment in the stadium took too long to recoup (despite being paid off earlier than forecast), and how it's not used enough for the amount that was paid in, and fly up to Auckland or the Mission Estate or wherever to see their stuff.

The thorndon residents association is basically the illuminati

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

I heard they all work at Russell McVeagh too

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Westpac stadium, that's surrounded by a hellscape of industrial warehouses, highways and railway tracks? What

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Jaguars! posted:

Westpac stadium, that's surrounded by a hellscape of industrial warehouses, highways and railway tracks? What

Westpac Stadium, that's adjacent to Thorndon, Wadestown and Khandallah with minimal anything to block sound carrying to where rich white folks might have to hear it.

i mean don't get me wrong the place is a loving concrete mausoleum but we paid for it, we may as well use it outside of the ruggers and the occasional home and garden show

Big Bad Beetleborg fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Feb 28, 2018

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
https://www.stereogum.com/1985211/lorde-supercut-run-the-jewels-remix/music/

quote:

Lorde's North American tour kicks off tomorrow and she's taking both Run The Jewels, Tove Styrke, and Mitski on the road with her.
RTJ's El-P slowed down the tempo of what is a fairly upbeat, dance-ready track and turned it into a sludgy slow-burner perfect for soundtracking the end of a night out. RTJ also contribute guest verses.

https://gallery.mailchimp.com/17fd1...El_P_Remix_.mp3

:toot:

Smithersnz
May 10, 2005

We freaked out yesterday. Let's just freak in tonight
Soiled Meat

God drat.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SuperiorColliculus posted:

I've always thought using virii to control rabbit populations is kinda short-sighted - no virus is 100% lethal, and unless you're going to follow up with a comprehensive program using it her methods in an attempt to eradicate them - which is not really feasible or affordable - they'll be back in five-ten years because they breed like...er...and now the survivors are resistant.

There are not inconsiderable disadvantages to using a virus in the first place (chief amongst which is the possibility of mutation causing off-target species transmission).

Eradication is not even a consideration.

100% Lethality is nice and all but if it doesn't get time to pass on its useless, see Ebola with 80% kill rate but very limited incubation, transmission and infectious period seriously limits additional causalities with even basic medical knowledge. What they are using is rabbit Ebola-like and there aren't Dr. Rabbits. It beats hopelessly gassing and shooting them.

Australian farmers were so fed up that they grounded up our rabbits to infect theirs awhile back. Carrying a bio-WMD pass customs would be a thrill.

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

That's my point, no disease, even if instantaneously released and infecting all of the members of a species, will be lethal (on any timescale) to 100% of that species due to genetic variation. This leaves the resistant individuals alive to repopulate, and now all of the next generation are much more likely to be resistant to the pathogen.

It's sysiphean

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So if something requires continued effort is pointless even sysiphean? I really think you have the wrong idea and expectations as to what this is trying to achieve. Knocking them back 10~20 years is a drat good ROI and the goal. Hunters and what not are losing ground fast as the last release loses effectiveness.

Inaction is not an option.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

oohhboy posted:

Eradication is not even a consideration.

100% Lethality is nice and all but if it doesn't get time to pass on its useless, see Ebola with 80% kill rate but very limited incubation, transmission and infectious period seriously limits additional causalities with even basic medical knowledge. What they are using is rabbit Ebola-like and there aren't Dr. Rabbits. It beats hopelessly gassing and shooting them.

Australian farmers were so fed up that they grounded up our rabbits to infect theirs awhile back. Carrying a bio-WMD pass customs would be a thrill.

That's funny, because thats how myxomatosis got into NZ from Australia in the first place lol

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Man shocked after Filipino girlfriend refused entry into Krispy Kreme

Look I just want to bring this up because after his gf got turned away for being the wrong nationality, he continued to stand in line for six hours while she waited in the car.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Wtf surely the only nationality a shop will care about is the nationality of the currency you will give them.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

quote:

"We want to have local people trying it rather than American tourists, which does happen."

Fair enough, although I was more thinking about what happened when they opened the free food banks in Vancouver.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

APPARENTLY there were some competitions at the store only open to NZ citizens or some poo poo, and it was just an overzealous/misinformed/misunderstanding security guard. I'm not surprised the dude was happy to stand in line for 6hrs while she waited in the car, were talking about someone who drove 90 minutes and waited in line for a lovely donut.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
Also why is the headline "Man shocked after Filipino girlfriend refused entry into Krispy Kreme"? Like who gives a gently caress what the man felt? Surely the story isn't that a man was shocked, but that a Filipino was refused entry?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

bike tory posted:

APPARENTLY there were some competitions at the store only open to NZ citizens or some poo poo, and it was just an overzealous/misinformed/misunderstanding security guard. I'm not surprised the dude was happy to stand in line for 6hrs while she waited in the car, were talking about someone who drove 90 minutes and waited in line for a lovely donut.

They're referring to the promotion itself as a "competition", and their own line is that the guard was not overzealous or misinformed: he was doing exactly what they had instructed him to do, which was turn away people that they had excluded from eligibility on the basis of national origin.

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

oohhboy posted:

So if something requires continued effort is pointless even sysiphean?

Something that requires continued effort only for you to end up in the same place and have to start again is sysiphean, yes.

oohhboy posted:

I really think you have the wrong idea and expectations as to what this is trying to achieve. Knocking them back 10~20 years is a drat good ROI and the goal. Hunters and what not are losing ground fast as the last release loses effectiveness.

Inaction is not an option.

It won't meaningfully reduce their numbers for twenty years (especially if it's released ad hoc like rcv) and there are not insignificant costs (both monetary and practical) to doing a coordinated countrywide release, and there are not insignificant biological risks of introducing a lethal haemorrhagic virus into the ecosphere.

It should either be done as a last-ditch comprehensive measure to eradicate them from the mainland (which most would argue would be prohibitively expensive and unlikely to work) or not done at all.

SuperiorColliculus fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Mar 1, 2018

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SuperiorColliculus posted:

Something that requires continued effort only for you to end up in the same place and have to start again is sysiphean, yes.

It won't meaningfully reduce their numbers for twenty years (especially if it's released ad hoc like rcv) and there are not insignificant costs (both monetary and practical) to doing a coordinated countrywide release, and there are not insignificant biological risks of introducing a lethal haemorrhagic virus into the ecosphere.

It should either be done as a last-ditch comprehensive measure to eradicate them from the mainland (which most would argue would be prohibitively expensive and unlikely to work) or not done at all.

It's not sysiphean, it's maintenance. I guess going to bed at night in the same bed is sysiphean. Keeping possum numbers down to help bird is sysiphean. Eating is sysiphean. What are you even on about.

I said 10 to 20 years, not 20. It would be also trivial to coordinate a release because you know, people have watches, refrigerators, dry ice and GPS, maps even! while you enlist the very hunters and farmers who have a stake in this to do the release therefore motivated. This isn't an ad hoc release, this is a government program not farmers grinding organs to take through customs. I really, really don't think you get it, eradication is not the goal as it is next to impossible hence it is not considered. Look how long and how much work it takes to clear one small island for a bird sanctuary.

You keep setting strawman goals that borders on delusional.

As for the biological risk there is none or so small its a rounding error. The Koreans have been living with this for who knows how long with no issues and wasn't picked by rolling dice. The ecological and economic damage the rabbits are causing is now.

Look if you don't want a release just say it, don't make bs up.

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

oohhboy posted:

It's not sysiphean, it's maintenance. I guess going to bed at night in the same bed is sysiphean. Keeping possum numbers down to help bird is sysiphean. Eating is sysiphean. What are you even on about.

Doing things that require effort but lead to being at the beginning of the effort in the end is the literal definition of sysiphean.

Idk what to tell you man, but releasing a virus that will eventually lead to a repopulation of rabbits that are immune, necessitating the release of another virus...etc...etc is literally a sysiphean effort.

oohhboy posted:

I said 10 to 20 years, not 20. It would be also trivial to coordinate a release because you know, people have watches, refrigerators, dry ice and GPS, maps even!

Yes, I'm sure none of this has any monetary cost or practical limitations.

oohhboy posted:

while you enlist the very hunters and farmers who have a stake in this to do the release therefore motivated. This isn't an ad hoc release, this is a government program not farmers grinding organs to take through customs.

Wait, is this a controlled-by-government release (presumably coordinated and run by DOC) or not?

oohhboy posted:

I really, really don't think you get it, eradication is not the goal as it is next to impossible hence it is not considered. Look how long and how much work it takes to clear one small island for a bird sanctuary.

You keep setting strawman goals that borders on delusional.

Yes, eradication is next to impossible, that is my exact point.

oohhboy posted:

As for the biological risk there is none or so small its a rounding error.

I'm glad we have noted virologist oohboy here to lay out the risks for us.

Viruses are extremely prone to mutations (especially simple viruses like calicivirus) and one of their neat tricks is jumping species barriers to survive. We know extremely little about calicivirus because until recently we haven't been able to culture them, so the risks are practically unknown at this point. There are also a bunch other other seemingly species specific strains of claici that presumably descended from a common ancestor at some point before jumping species.

oohhboy posted:

Look if you don't want a release just say it, don't make bs up.

It's true, I think a release of a deadly pathogen into the environment for an end goal of "numbers go down for a few years, then we're back to the beginning with resistant rabbits" is possibly a bad idea.

I mean, we have calicivirus here (or there, I guess for me) already so the damage is mostly done, but releasing another strain is a band-aid at best and will put us in a situation akin to the situation we're in with antibiotics now at worst.

SuperiorColliculus fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Mar 1, 2018

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Now you're just taking the piss.

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

oohhboy posted:

Now you're just taking the piss.

I think the people taking the piss are the farming lobby who would like to simultaneously be free of the cost of control for some years, while putting the externalities of release and risk of cross-species infection on the NZ public for maximum profit. But y'know, horses for courses.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

can we get a virus for horses next?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

can we get a virus for horses next?

Why bother when it's only likely to keep the numbers down for 10-20 years, and there's a risk the disease might jump to donkeys or ponies. I say we're all responsible individually for keeping horse numbers down

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

How hard can it be to genocide some idiot horses?

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

I have flash cards with pictures of bees, but folks put blinders on the ponies at the track so they can't see them.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Releasing a rabbit virus that they will develop an immunity to in 20 years isn't sysiphean - you don't end up back at the same place, you end up with 20 years of more productive farming, and you end up with 20 years leeway in finding a more permanent solution - you've gained an opportunity you didn't have before.

If at the end of 20 years farming didn't get more productive and we didn't find a permanent solution, then MAYBE you could call it sysiphean. But not before.

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

That's exactly where we are since the first rcv release though?

I'm just not in favor of farmers passing their ongoing costs of rabbit control to the public - both directly in implementation and indirectly in the risk to the ecosystem - so they can make (more) profits, I guess.

Ironically, the most likely species jump would be to sheep, given the species relative similarity and continual close proximity.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'm not a science person or anything but if no disease can 100% wipe out a species why are we worried about kauri die-back?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Actually the original RCV is still pretty effective 20 years later despite its dodgy release, it's just that numbers are increasing in a way that suggests it's starting to lose efficacy.

Also trust loving goons to spend more time discussing whether something is Sisyphean or not, rather than the actual issue.

Slavvy posted:

I'm not a science person or anything but if no disease can 100% wipe out a species why are we worried about kauri die-back?

Kauri take like 50 years to be "mature", rabbits take like 6 months and can have like 5-10 babies in the first year of life. They're at like pretty extreme opposite ends of the reproductive strategy continuum.

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Mar 2, 2018

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If I am not going to get 100% on my exam why take it or even go to school?

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Slavvy posted:

Because it's a serious threat to wipe out exisiting Kauri trees many of which are hundreds of years old.

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

It's caused by an oomycete, not a virus - and won't kill 100% of the organisms it infects. It might kill enough of them that the survivors will be outcompeted by other trees and go extinct, though.

Rabbits don't have an effective competitor in their niche or sufficient predators to have that problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

oohhboy posted:

If I am not going to get 100% on my exam why take it or even go to school?

Failing your exam doesn't have the risk of fatal haemorrhagic disease

bike tory posted:

Actually the original RCV is still pretty effective 20 years later despite its dodgy release, it's just that numbers are increasing in a way that suggests it's starting to lose efficacy.

Last time I went rabbit shooting was when I was in the country in 2011 and hillsides in central otago figuratively moved as you came over a ridge as all the rabbits ran for cover.

SuperiorColliculus fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Mar 2, 2018

• Locked thread