Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nah, TNG is only about 50% good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

zoux posted:

Nah, TNG is only about 50% good.

I think it's more like 33% really really good, 33% really bad and 33% meh. But when it's good it really scratches that Trek itch.

I think the same could be said for TOS.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Just watch those episodes where Picard turns into a borg and then hangs out in France and then the one where he plays the flute. Those are the only good ones.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

TNG is very much a product of its time.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

DS9 is the best Trek by far

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I tried watching some TNG since I've never seen any Star Trek other than the first two Abrams films and a few eps of the original show as a kid...didn't really get past the first ep. Some Shakespearean poo poo started going down or something. Didn't really click. Heard the first season ain't good but Star Trek just might not be my thing.

precision posted:

you guys weren't kidding about Waco holy poo poo Taylor Kitsch as Budget Sam Rockwell as David "The Lamb" Koresh is killing it
I straight up cracked up when he starts giving his speech about how loving their wives is his holy mission from God
"You must give up the carnal sins of lust and become celibate...I will take the burden of these sins upon myself!"
I was genuinely hoping someone would snipe him through the window when he started Christ rocking out at the FBI tho, I mean did that actually happen IRL???

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I tried watching some TNG since I've never seen any Star Trek other than the first two Abrams films and a few eps of the original show as a kid...didn't really get past the first ep. Some Shakespearean poo poo started going down or something. Didn't really click. Heard the first season ain't good but Star Trek just might not be my thing.

You might enjoy ST:D if you like the action of the Abrams films.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

What I learned after watching TNG is that the best Star Trek show is Stargate.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

zoux posted:

DS9 is the best Trek by far

Yup. I'll never poo poo on anyone who prefers TNG or TOS (because tastes are subjective) but DS9 has stood the test of time way better than the other two. There's good, deep, conflicted, and consistent characters, excellent longform plotting, and (generally) high quality writing.

That isn't to say that DS9 is perfect--not by a long shot, if an episode's focused on Quark or Bashir you're probably in for a bumpy ride--but it's aged the best for sure.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Croatoan posted:

I think it's more like 33% really really good, 33% really bad and 33% meh. But when it's good it really scratches that Trek itch.

I think the same could be said for TOS.

That's exactly what Harve Bennett said when he was asked to take over the movies after The Motion Picture. He screened every episode of the original series to get familiar with it, as he had never watched the show, and said that he felt about a third of them were great, a third were okay, and a third were awful.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Escobarbarian posted:

Been visiting my parents and my dad has been watching ST:TNG eps and I’m seeing this show for the first time

Holy poo poo!! It’s so boring and bad!!!

early season 6 before some dork comes in to say how the first season sucks

Good news, The Orville exists so you can enjoy everything good about TNG with almost none of the bad.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Hey guys is Waco really that great? I am interested in shows with that sort of subject matter to be honest, but it's also not exactly streaming anywhere. Meaning that I'd have to buy it at $3 per episode or $17 for all of them included the final episode 6 (wow a $1 savings)

But anyway, I am legitimately interested in the show but I just dunno if I wanna be paying a semi-significant amount of money on it. It's a mite worrisome.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Not a single person in here has said it's bad, we all seem to like it. I don't know if I'd pay $17 for it but I'm stingy.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yes, it's that good. So much so that I hope they release it on Blu/4K so I can buy it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

Look! We have found the worst opinion ever in all of history.

drat, this post really didn’t hold up well.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The ship is slowly turning.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/more-tv-news/coming-to-nbc-in-fall-2018-fewer-commercials/

NBC is reducing the number of commercials by 20% and the amount of commercial time by 10% for their 2018-2019 season across their whole footprint.

They are using this as a marketing piece to say they are more premium, but really it's market forces at work. Ad revenue has been declining for quite awhile and carriage fees are starting to overtake ads as the majority of the revenue. This basically changes the equation drastically as the networks are thrust more and more into an HBO/Netflix model for revenue. Having a wide spread of desirable shows that creates demand for your network is more important than the 8pm Thursday timeslot ratings.

If they can make their content feel more premium by reducing ads and lengthening the programming, then it works toward their goals.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Sort of like Syfy did with Happy! ?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Timby posted:

His daily SiriusXM show gets posted on Reddit like an hour or two after it ends every night.

I looked in r/craigferguson and didn't see anything, but I might be blind. Where about should I be looking?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

GreenNight posted:

Sort of like Syfy did with Happy! ?

Yup. Syfy may have actually been a test case for this now that I think about it since it's NBCU.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Waco's okay imo. It's nothing revelatory but Shannon and Kitsch are good.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Croatoan posted:

Not a single person in here has said it's bad, we all seem to like it. I don't know if I'd pay $17 for it but I'm stingy.

Same, I don't think I'd pay for it, but it's real good.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Homeland got a lot better when it stopped pretending to be a prestige drama

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2KD5ZpvFkM

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

kaworu posted:

Hey guys is Waco really that great? I am interested in shows with that sort of subject matter to be honest, but it's also not exactly streaming anywhere. Meaning that I'd have to buy it at $3 per episode or $17 for all of them included the final episode 6 (wow a $1 savings)

But anyway, I am legitimately interested in the show but I just dunno if I wanna be paying a semi-significant amount of money on it. It's a mite worrisome.

Other Spike/Paramount stuff has shown up on Netflix, so maybe just wait and see?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Has anyone ever watched any of those old Quinn Martin detective shows? If so, would any of them come recommended?

I should say: a) I love detectives; b) I've never watched any of them; and c) I have watched too many ITC adventure series to be especially put off by 70s style production.

I know the hooks for the main ones: Cannon is Nero Wolfe if he ran and judo chopped people; Barnaby Jones is really old; and Streets of San Francisco is the one with baby Michael Douglas; but I don't really know about them beyond that.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’ve enjoyed every Homeland season to a degree, but always prefer it when they’re in the Middle East. At least Quinn is gone after last season

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Waco's okay imo. It's nothing revelatory but Shannon and Kitsch are good.

I love Shannon so the past few months have been fantastic going from the sheer :wtc: of furry Bigfoot Christmas film Pottersville to Shape of Water and Waco.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Pottersville would have been amazing if the last half an hour had been consolidated into like 5 minutes.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Heathers' premiere has been pushed back from March 7th to "?"

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

Heathers' premiere has been pushed back from March 7th to "?"

Boo! I really liked that pilot.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bull3964 posted:

The ship is slowly turning.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/more-tv-news/coming-to-nbc-in-fall-2018-fewer-commercials/

NBC is reducing the number of commercials by 20% and the amount of commercial time by 10% for their 2018-2019 season across their whole footprint.

They are using this as a marketing piece to say they are more premium, but really it's market forces at work. Ad revenue has been declining for quite awhile and carriage fees are starting to overtake ads as the majority of the revenue. This basically changes the equation drastically as the networks are thrust more and more into an HBO/Netflix model for revenue. Having a wide spread of desirable shows that creates demand for your network is more important than the 8pm Thursday timeslot ratings.

If they can make their content feel more premium by reducing ads and lengthening the programming, then it works toward their goals.

I'm sure they will double down on the on screen ads during shows though.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Rhyno posted:

I'm sure they will double down on the on screen ads during shows though.

NBC did a great job advertising crock pots in show with This Is Us!

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Open Source Idiom posted:

Boo! I really liked that pilot.

Same, and I'm pretty disappointed that so many people were scared off by that one lovely thinkpiece. I wouldn't be surprised if that's why they pushed it back.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

New season of Strike Back was good. :black101:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Still pisses me off that Cinemax doesn't have a Roku app.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Just subscribe through Amazon, then you just use the Amazon app.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Quick and dirty iZombie thread
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3850621

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Just subscribe through Amazon, then you just use the Amazon app.

I get it free through my folks Spectrum account.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

That’s not the only spectrum your folks gave you

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

drat baby boomers :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Here's the thread for Atlanta season 2.