Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Speaking of canon, how does it work that everything made after Disney bought the franchise is all equally canon? Doesn't that mean the people writing books and video games will be dictating what can be shown in the movies?

Disney's got a story group that will presumably be taking very tight control over what can and can't be shown. They've been doing this with their in-house properties for decades, so I expect that they'll be able to keep it up for quite some time. But they focus on the strength and consistency of the brand rather than on the internal integrity of the story, so I have no doubt they'll let movies do whatever they want regardless of what some comic book said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Speaking of canon, how does it work that everything made after Disney bought the franchise is all equally canon? Doesn't that mean the people writing books and video games will be dictating what can be shown in the movies?

They have a Story Group that makes makes sure everything adheres to canon, specifically the movies.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Doesn't that mean the people writing books and video games will be dictating what can be shown in the movies?

Whatever else is said and done, this will never ever be the case. No-one will ever compromise their billion-dollar movie to make sure it doesn't step on the toes of a tie-in book from a decade ago.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

josh04 posted:

Whatever else is said and done, this will never ever be the case. No-one will ever compromise their billion-dollar movie to make sure it doesn't step on the toes of a tie-in book from a decade ago.

This is exactly what I thought when they first announced said policy. I think it was primarily a move to give the new merchandise a leg up on the old stuff by making it "real" because otherwise people would have been even more adamant than they already were about wanting legends to stick around. If both canons were equally uncanon compared to the movies, then people would naturally stick with the one they're familiar with. To be fair I actually preferred the new canon immensely compared to the old EU, TLJ and related materials has really harshed that mellow though.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
The whole story group thing is transparently obvious marketing-speak. It was to make SW fans think that the 'new EU' wouldn't be prone to the problems of the old EU.

Given that book about the new X-Wing pilots farting all over a wedding, well...

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Rebels has people flying around with helicopter lightsabers and all sorts of other nonsense. The movies are the movies and anything else that does or doesn't connect is just marketing.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

feedmyleg posted:

Rebels has people flying around with helicopter lightsabers and all sorts of other nonsense. The movies are the movies and anything else that does or doesn't connect is just marketing.

The most recent episode reveals that Star Wars also has time travel which is something Palpatine have been seeking in between Death Star constructions and Jedi slaughter.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

feedmyleg posted:

Are repulsorlift lightsabers any more "nonsense" than telekinesis or quadrupedal assault vehicles?

It's all canonical

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

jivjov posted:

Are repulsorlift lightsabers any more "nonsense" than telekinesis or quadrupedal assault vehicles?

yes

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

The MSJ posted:

The most recent episode reveals that Star Wars also has time travel which is something Palpatine have been seeking in between Death Star constructions and Jedi slaughter.

What?!
:staredog:

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

jivjov posted:

It's all canonical

There are literal ghosts in the original trilogy, nothing is too retarded for Star Wars.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

MrJacobs posted:

There are literal ghosts in the original trilogy, nothing is too retarded for Star Wars.

Is ableism really necessary?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

jivjov posted:

Is ableism really necessary?

You're mentally disabled if you think it isn't.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Not this again.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

There's a place that exists outside the universe where time is meaningless, and a sort of ancient pathway and portal network connects all time and space, so a force user with a deep enough connection to the force, and knowledge of where to find the doorways, could become master of the universe. It's connected to Mortis, from the Clone Wars cartoon, and the story leans heavily on the father, daughter, and son mythology and force mysticism.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

The MSJ posted:

*disney executive hunched over, peering intently at ANH frame by frame, eventually places his finger on a non-descript set piece in the background*

"There it is, that's your time machine. Do something with it... Mr. Shyamalan."

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Oh, please. Like the time machine would be anything other than the ice cream maker.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
http://comicbook.com/starwars/amp/2018/02/28/star-wars-the-last-jedi-sound-effects-wilhelm-scream/?__twitter_impression=true

Disney has ruined my childhood and I hate new Star Wars now

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Retiring that stupid scream and giving Rian Johnson a Star War are the only two things that Disney has done right since buying Lucasfilm.

e: and dumping the EU. Though they just made their own mediocre-to-terrible EU instead so I'm not sure that counts.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

feedmyleg posted:

e: and dumping the EU. Though they just made their own mediocre-to-terrible EU instead so I'm not sure that counts.

Plus they didn't even really dump it. They're still taking from it pretty liberally and just deciding what they feel like using and what they want to ignore. Which they could've done anyway, there really was no need to "declare" anything canon or non-canon. It was a way to get all of the obsessive nerd complaints out of the way at the beginning instead of having to deal with new complaints every time they decide to "change" something. But in terms of how it effects which material ends up being used in the movies and t.v. shows, it's meaningless.

Serf
May 5, 2011

yeah blowing up the old eu accomplished pretty much nothing when they're putting out 10 books a month that add the same level of inane detail which will one day result in wookipedia 2 having another 1000 page summary of the life and times of lando calrissian

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Serf posted:

yeah blowing up the old eu accomplished pretty much nothing when they're putting out 10 books a month that add the same level of inane detail which will one day result in wookipedia 2 having another 1000 page summary of the life and times of lando calrissian

I wouldn't say it accomplished nothing. Having to make new movies with the baggage of the old EU would have been insane. This let them clear the chess board, for the most part, and not be tied down by the old EU stories.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

thrawn527 posted:

I wouldn't say it accomplished nothing. Having to make new movies with the baggage of the old EU would have been insane. This let them clear the chess board, for the most part, and not be tied down by the old EU stories.

There was nothing tying them down to old EU stories. They could've simply ignored those and moved ahead without ever acknowledging them.

It's what they're doing now anyway, if they see something in the old EU they want to use they do it. No announcements or proclamations needed.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Here's my idea for the next Star War -- The rebels fight the evil empire and uh, maybe they make another death star or something.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I prefer the old Eu: as terrible as it got, it almost never failed to be interesting. While the new one is mostly boring. Also I prefer the overall arc up until the end of the Yuuzhan Vong invasion, as it did have Luke try to make a new Jedi Order free of the mistakes of the old one, a New Republic that took more than a Death Star to kill and an attempt at a new villain instead of Palp 2.0.

Of course, Canon is a lie and no one should care about continuity.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.

MonsieurChoc posted:

an attempt at a new villain instead of Palp 2.0.

Hahah, what? I'm guessing you never read Dark Empire. Or Dark Empire II, or Empire's End...

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MonsieurChoc posted:

I prefer the old Eu: as terrible as it got, it almost never failed to be interesting. While the new one is mostly boring. Also I prefer the overall arc up until the end of the Yuuzhan Vong invasion, as it did have Luke try to make a new Jedi Order free of the mistakes of the old one, a New Republic that took more than a Death Star to kill and an attempt at a new villain instead of Palp 2.0.

They couldn't walk all of that back fast enough, though. Too different for the fans, as far as I understand it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Teek posted:

Hahah, what? I'm guessing you never read Dark Empire. Or Dark Empire II, or Empire's End...

I'm talking about the Vong there, with the NJO being the equivalent timeline-wise to the new trilogy.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm talking about the Vong there, with the NJO being the equivalent timeline-wise to the new trilogy.

True enough, even though it turns out the main bad guy is a deformed cackling force-user manipulating everyone behind the scenes.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Captain Splendid posted:

True enough, even though it turns out the main bad guy is a deformed cackling force-user manipulating everyone behind the scenes.

Who was that again? I haven’t read these books since 8th grade (but I did read all of them)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Serf posted:

The Story Group Canon isn't putting out that many books. It's really about the same release density that Legends had.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
"the same release density as legends" pretty strongly implies "the same density of inane detail as legends" though

i believe he was employing 'hyperbole', the greatest weapon ever created except for the third death star

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

You joke but that article made me look into the sound stuff for The Last Jedi and I found this article about Ben Burtt that I somehow missed back in December and now I’m super bummed out and mad.
https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/12/ben-burtt-star-wars-sound
Ben Burtt’s sound design is just as important as John Williams score. How can you keep one and get rid of the other? :smith:

Serf
May 5, 2011

ungulateman posted:

"the same release density as legends" pretty strongly implies "the same density of inane detail as legends" though

i believe he was employing 'hyperbole', the greatest weapon ever created except for the third death star

hyperbole can have a strong influence on the weak minded

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Only the Sith deal in hyperbole.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

exquisite tea posted:

Here's my idea for the next Star War -- The rebels fight the evil empire and uh, maybe they make another death star or something.

Nah - it's going to be a universe in anarchy as the first order crumbles, but only story will be set on an abandoned dusty western themed planet where Rey has to Kill Bill her way past the Knights of Ren to confront Kylo, who has holed up in an old deserted cantina/imperial base/jedi temple waiting for her.

There's a space war in the sky above, but it's only seen occasionally from ground level shots.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Pops Mgee posted:

You joke but that article made me look into the sound stuff for The Last Jedi and I found this article about Ben Burtt that I somehow missed back in December and now I’m super bummed out and mad.
https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/12/ben-burtt-star-wars-sound
Ben Burtt’s sound design is just as important as John Williams score. How can you keep one and get rid of the other? :smith:

Thanks for sharing this, I wasn't aware of that. That last line in the article broke my heart.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Who was that again? I haven’t read these books since 8th grade (but I did read all of them)

Onimi, the Supreme Overlord's jester, turns out to be a disgraced shaper who gave himself force powers and was manipulating everything from behind the scenes.

Unlike Palpatine, who was ambitious and evil, he was motivated by saving his people from what he saw as their doom. A different kind of evil.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Teek posted:

As rubbish as Dark Empire was, I kind of wonder if the sequel trilogy should have just poached the Palpatine clone idea instead of Snoke. Like, if you're going to have a transparent stand-in for the Emperor, you may as well go all in, and it'd solve the problem of Snoke seeming to come out of nowhere. Plus, we'd have gotten more of Ian McDiarmid hamming it up, and we'd never have had to pretend that 'Snoke' was an imposing name...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

MonsieurChoc posted:

Onimi, the Supreme Overlord's jester, turns out to be a disgraced shaper who gave himself force powers and was manipulating everything from behind the scenes.

:lol: the big twist is just straight-up stolen from Foundation? That's bold.

In a way I like it. It's very much in line with how ANH "borrowed" heavily from Dune, Dam Busters, and Hidden Fortress in ways that often bordered on stealing. But it's also so loving lazy.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Mar 1, 2018