Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Other than the mandatories, I'm planning to take Laura for her role as a noble in Kreuzen province, Machias to help support Jusis in his own way, Millium because she has visited Aurochs Fort and presumably knows something of the layout and defenses, and Alisa because she cares so much and was there in Celdic the first visit.

Take Fie if you've got space, and give Sara some Faint defense, Dragon Vision, and Domination.

quote:

Actually, does Act 2 have any hidden quests at all?

There's one coming up right after the next part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Really Pants posted:

Take Fie if you've got space, and give Sara some Faint defense, Dragon Vision, and Domination.

I've had Fie for the past 2 sections already, but I guess I can sub her in for Laura. Interesting suggestion of Dragon Vision.

quote:

There's one coming up right after the next part.

Much obliged for that and for implicitly confirming I didn't miss one in this part.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Stick all three Shield Orbs on Valimar, too.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Not sure if I'd suggest putting Domination on her. Dragon Vision, definitely.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
You don't actually need Dragon Vision on Sara for that part, it automatically scans the opponents at the start iirc. I just did that section, and all the information was already there when I checked during the fight.

BearDrivingTruck fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Feb 27, 2018

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Some Numbers posted:

I don't think you get higher than 90ish in CS1, but with the built in Insight from Falco, that's enough.

I did some checking and I believe three of the guys can get it all the way up to 100% while Fie's stuck at a maximum of 95% in Cold Steel 1.

It goes something like:
15% (a Zemurian ore weapon for Rean, Gaius, Crow or Fie)
10% (Red Jacket or Golden Mail armor)
10% (Feathered Shoes, these are guys-only equips, girls can only get 5% from footwear)
20% (Two Evergreen accessories)
35% (Evade1 + Evade2 + Aeolus Gem + Shining R Quartz)
10% (Mastered Thor Quartz, Falco and Wing only give 9%, causing you to fall 1% short of the magic number)

Of course, because the Shining spell and Alisa are a thing, stacking your evade all the way up to 100% is kind of overkill.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I'm curious, exactly how large and populous are Erebonia and Crossbell as of CS1? Because I just started 2, and I'm having tons of trouble with the way 1 casually revealed that Crossbell had secretly manufactured a large enough mecha army to blitz Erebonia and successfully defeat its military in detail within thirty days. That having been said, I've been mentally picturing Erebonia as being pretty enormous, with tens of millions of citizens and a huge military. If it's actually supposed to be like Norway and Sweden getting into it, that plot point becomes much more believable.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Are you supposed to come back later to fight these face guys in the earth temple?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Omi no Kami posted:

I'm curious, exactly how large and populous are Erebonia and Crossbell as of CS1? Because I just started 2, and I'm having tons of trouble with the way 1 casually revealed that Crossbell had secretly manufactured a large enough mecha army to blitz Erebonia and successfully defeat its military in detail within thirty days. That having been said, I've been mentally picturing Erebonia as being pretty enormous, with tens of millions of citizens and a huge military. If it's actually supposed to be like Norway and Sweden getting into it, that plot point becomes much more believable.

I don't think Erebonia is tens of millions strong, and the Panzer Soldats don't belong to Crossbell--they belong to the provincial armies who serve Erebonian nobles trying to fight against Chancellor Osborne and the rest of those uppity commoners.

Justin_Brett posted:

Are you supposed to come back later to fight these face guys in the earth temple?

Nope, you're supposed to just nova them down. They're level 54, so you'll have trouble if you're still much lower than that.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Really Pants posted:

I don't think Erebonia is tens of millions strong, and the Panzer Soldats don't belong to Crossbell--they belong to the provincial armies who serve Erebonian nobles trying to fight against Chancellor Osborne and the rest of those uppity commoners.

Oh, wait, I think I completely mis-interpreted how that went. My understanding was that 1) Crossbell declares independence, 2) Crow's faction blows up the railguns, 3) with Crossbell now out of danger, their forces roll into Erebonia effectively unopposed. Is the implication at the beginning of 2 supposed to be that Crossbell has stayed within their borders, and the "invading force" are all private troops loyal to the nobles whose job is to clean house of the reformers and that goofy sky pirate faction Laura's dad and Rean are totally going to start, with mandatory silly hats for everyone?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I don’t think Crossbell is implied to be involved in any part of that.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Omi no Kami posted:

Oh, wait, I think I completely mis-interpreted how that went. My understanding was that 1) Crossbell declares independence, 2) Crow's faction blows up the railguns, 3) with Crossbell now out of danger, their forces roll into Erebonia effectively unopposed. Is the implication at the beginning of 2 supposed to be that Crossbell has stayed within their borders, and the "invading force" are all private troops loyal to the nobles whose job is to clean house of the reformers and that goofy sky pirate faction Laura's dad and Rean are totally going to start, with mandatory silly hats for everyone?

Yeah, you got the events screwed up a bit. Crossbell declared independence and used an unknown weapon to destroy Garrelia Fortress. Erebonia's military tried to invade Crossbell, but were effortlessly repelled. In the wake of that, Osbourne was getting ready to declare war on Crossbell when Crow shot him and the Noble Faction deployed their mechs to initiate a very fast coup and take over Heimdallr, followed by most of Erebonia very soon after that. Like, days maybe.

The events of CS2 are about a literal Erebonian civil war between the Noble Faction, who has mechs and what's left of the Reformist military, which is in disarray since their leader just got assassinated. Rean and crew will be in the middle of that and Rean has an even more powerful mech.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

At the end of Cold Steel I, Crossbell blew up Garrelia Fortress with some mystery weapon you only see in Zero/Ao. This weapon also held off all the Imperial Army's counterattacks. The ILF had no involvement with that. They were laying low until Crow shot Osborne, and after that they were all driving Soldats in the attack on Trista.

Not long after you finish the CSII prologue, you'll get a glimpse of Crossbell and a rough idea of the situation over there.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Playing Cold Steel 2 basically just solidified for me that holy poo poo I really need to play the Crossbell games.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Okay, so that makes the very beginning of CSII's prologue make way more sense... I only just started, and got to the bit where Rean wakes up in his old bedroom and gets brought up to date by Toval and Elise, and it was weirding me out that his response to "They control most of the major cities" was "Crap, that makes me really worried about my friends, better go explore the town," and not "Holy loving poo poo, we have to start burying supplies and preparing a resistance so we'll be ready if and when the invaders come for our hot springs".

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
These two Jaegers sure are a boss.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Justin_Brett posted:

These two Jaegers sure are a boss.

Get used to that.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Oh right, THOSE jaegers.

Yeah, get used to that.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Ironically, BECAUSE they're so powerful and they know it, they don't feel the need to cheat by pulling that "fixed-ambush-encounter-S-craft-or-die-before-you-even-get-a-turn"-bullshit on you that's waaaay too popular among Jaegers.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
CS2, Act 2, Part 3 Climax (some sleep-deprived rambling.)
Class VII's surprise ally Rufus Albarea didn't actually come as a big surprise to me. I got the feeling that Rufus and Duke Albarea didn't really agree on a lot of things. Duke Albarea seems to think ruling by fear is best, Rufus seems to think ruling through respect is better. I suspect that's the influence of Rufus's mother, although I have absolutely no evidence. By this point he's probably sick and tired of having to clean up his father's messes. He did it during CS1's Bareahard field study, and again after the attack on Ymir in CS 2, and this is at least the third time he's had to apologize for his dad being a total dick.

Speaking of the attack on Ymir, that actually goes back to something Jusis said in CS1. To the Albarea's, there's little difference between other nobles and commoners. That's why Duke Albarea wasn't even polite enough to send his provincial army to Ymir to diplomatically ask for the cooperation of a mere Baron.

I do appreciate that Class VII was all too aware that they're being used to rid the NA of a walking PR disaster while keeping the NA's hands clean of the betrayal of one of their own, while also helping fuel Rufus Albarea's political aspirations. No doubt as far as the NA is concerned, it is Rufus, not Jusis who is the new head of House Albarea, if only because Jusis is fighting against their side. I expect that before the attack, Rufus moved as many troops as possible away from the city to save them for later.

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Yo Stabbey, there’s something real nice waiting for you on the next stop-over day. You’ll know it when you hear it.

Oh wow, that WAS really nice. I'm not bothering to get an exact count, but there must have been several dozen bonding events by this point, and that's the only one which was voiced (almost no doubt it was unvoiced in the PS 3 version). Even though it's completely optional, the voices give it the feel of one of the mandatory main quest scenes like in CS 1. That was a very good scene, at least if you like the Rean/Alisa pairing. I was a little surprised at an almost-kiss moment because I know the game usually tries to keep the options open until the end.

That scene also touched on something in CS 2 which I'm not so keen on - how the Divine Knight battles make the rest of the team seem so much less important than Rean. I mean, yeah, he's the player-controlled protagonist and viewpoint character, but it does often seem to leave the others as just standing around. So seeing Alisa express some of those feelings as well worked for me on that level.

It's a little unfortunate that some of the other classmates bonding events are a bit repetitive. Especially Elliot's. Oh, so much Elliot's.

I got my S-Rank as expected for the part, so that went well. Since the whole reason that Laura is a mandatory in Part 4 is because of an optional quest in their town, though, it is unclear why they didn't simply make that quest mandatory in the first place like they did in Part 1. I'm going to wander around the country looking for new dialogue and enemies who drop ingredients I am getting very short on. And also, what in the Aidios-damned gently caress is going on in Crossbell?

EDIT: AHA! Hidden quest "Father's Pocket Watch" located. And it wasn't in an "obvious" place either. I knew there was a good reason for running all around everywhere.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Feb 28, 2018

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

And also, what in the Aidios-damned gently caress is going on in Crossbell?

The Cold Steel 2 mantra.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I wish Sara's event in Roer could have been voiced. I think it's easily one of the best in the game.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

Does anyone know where the Enduraceros (the rhino enemies found in Jusis and Millium’s chest) can be found? I missed my chance to scan them during the trial, and I swear they can be encountered as a normal enemy but I can’t remember where.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

They're in the place where you met Fidelio.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

when should I be fighting the big hippo monster in the remains of garrelia fortress in CS2 act 2? It's already wrecked my poo poo a couple times so I'm not sure how long to delay fighting it, I haven't gotten any official sidequests to take it on yet so I'm not sure when I should fight it

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Stexils posted:

when should I be fighting the big hippo monster in the remains of garrelia fortress in CS2 act 2? It's already wrecked my poo poo a couple times so I'm not sure how long to delay fighting it, I haven't gotten any official sidequests to take it on yet so I'm not sure when I should fight it

There's no official quest to kill it. It's recommended that you be around level 80+. Like everything else in the game, it is vulnerable to Delay spam.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Some Numbers posted:

There's no official quest to kill it. It's recommended that you be around level 80+. Like everything else in the game, it is vulnerable to Delay spam.

Yeah I saw a guide that recommended like 100 but with delay Rean and Fie they will never get a turn so you can do it in the 80s.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I think even if you don't land all your delays, it does physical attacks, so dodge tank Fie won't take any damage. The same isn't true for the others, though. You can probably wait until the rest are available since the reward for it isn't that great. Definitely kill the one that gives you Grail Burst though, since that's super useful on characters who will never use their EP, like Laura.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

My preferred cryptid smashing team is Laura, Fie, Jusis, and Emma.

Laura does about 75 to 95% of the total damage with Tauros/Domination-powered S-Breaks.
Fie runs interference with Falco, spamming Bullet Cyclone to delay the cryptid and give Laura assists for extra damage and CP.
Jusis uses Noble Command, Noble Command, and sometimes Noble Command. If nobody needs a buff he can Platinum Shield to block the next attack, or toss out some Moebius or Canon-backed heals.
Emma negates the cryptid's arts with Crescent Shell, casts Pandora-boosted attack arts in Overdrive, and does occasional emergency healing with Serene Blessing.

Volglyph is manageable at level 78-ish on Normal, but you can always come back and stomp it later.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Volglyph's also the easiest since it's super slow and doesn't heal, so it's just a big bag of HP.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

Is anyone’s game crashing if they try to take a bath at the Phoenix Wings? The footbath is functionally the same, so it’s not a huge deal, but when I try to use the bath at the inn it crashes.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Yeah I can't beat these two even if the win condition is just weakening them a bit. This is ridiculous.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Is anyone’s game crashing if they try to take a bath at the Phoenix Wings? The footbath is functionally the same, so it’s not a huge deal, but when I try to use the bath at the inn it crashes.
I haven't tried, but I'd definitely tell XSeed support so they can look into it.

Justin_Brett posted:

Yeah I can't beat these two even if the win condition is just weakening them a bit. This is ridiculous.
That's the bonus AP condition. If you last 40 turns, the battle automatically ends.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Unequip any costumes or cosmetic accessories you have on your characters. This was a thing early on when the game released on Feb 14th that got some people during the prologue. It may still be a bug that didn't get fixed if you just started the game.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Try to go full on aggression against the two jaegers. You want to make sure the jaegers don't get too separated or some abilities might miss one of them. I had to put my party members in the frontline in the tactics menu so they would not get separated for buffs when getting hit as well. Spam a bunch of s-crafts and don't forget your 5th member's s-craft and the overdrives as well! It took me a few tries but I got it done on hard with the extra ap without upgrading any equipment.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

havenwaters posted:

Unequip any costumes or cosmetic accessories you have on your characters. This was a thing early on when the game released on Feb 14th that got some people during the prologue. It may still be a bug that didn't get fixed if you just started the game.

I don't have any accessories or costumes on, so I don't think it's that.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

BearDrivingTruck posted:

I don't have any accessories or costumes on, so I don't think it's that.

Although I would still send xseed support an email, the long shot solution is to disable turbo mode and reduce the fps to 30. This worked for a crash bug that I got.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

poe meater posted:

Try to go full on aggression against the two jaegers. You want to make sure the jaegers don't get too separated or some abilities might miss one of them. I had to put my party members in the frontline in the tactics menu so they would not get separated for buffs when getting hit as well. Spam a bunch of s-crafts and don't forget your 5th member's s-craft and the overdrives as well! It took me a few tries but I got it done on hard with the extra ap without upgrading any equipment.

S-Crafts are the only good way to get rid of the Javelins so that's not really an optimal strategy, and then you're out of CP to for instance heal with Elliot.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

In CS1 during the field study where they see the scarlet train whip past on its way to the economic summit and Rean uses his awesome swordsman bullet-time vision to scope out who's inside, he has a reaction of surprise/concern when he sees Osbourne. What was that about? They knew that Osbourne was going to the conference, so his presence on the train couldn't have been a surprise. I thought it was going to be revealed that Rean saw something bad and then convinced himself it was nothing, then the train would arrive and they'd find out that Osbourne had been assassinated inside his private car, or that an enemy force had infiltrated the train and was running around doing dirt, but as far as I can recall there was never a payoff. Was Rean supposed to be reacting to something explicit, or was it just like "Oh man, politicians drinking tea and riding trains, it sure would suck if they got hit by a railgun shell"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

Omi no Kami posted:

In CS1 during the field study where they see the scarlet train whip past on its way to the economic summit and Rean uses his awesome swordsman bullet-time vision to scope out who's inside, he has a reaction of surprise/concern when he sees Osbourne. What was that about? They knew that Osbourne was going to the conference, so his presence on the train couldn't have been a surprise. I thought it was going to be revealed that Rean saw something bad and then convinced himself it was nothing, then the train would arrive and they'd find out that Osbourne had been assassinated inside his private car, or that an enemy force had infiltrated the train and was running around doing dirt, but as far as I can recall there was never a payoff. Was Rean supposed to be reacting to something explicit, or was it just like "Oh man, politicians drinking tea and riding trains, it sure would suck if they got hit by a railgun shell"?

I'd assume it's foreshadowing for later down the line.