Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

ZZT the Fifth posted:

gently caress, regular Anjanath on the 4* urgent quest is really pushing my poo poo in. I’ve got 67 defense and 12 fire resist, and I’m still getting oneshot shortly after engaging it. I don’t know how to mitigate this besides learning how to dodge its attacks better...

https://youtu.be/CTwvqnI1xgk

Watch this helpful tutorial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

About the arena lance: turns out it cannot get white sharpness so it probably ends up losing out against most of the other options. It still looks amazing though.

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

Your Computer posted:

and I look like a jerk

Your character is actually the best.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
Odo is the best pure physical Lance off the top of my head, I can check later. You need a way to maintain sharpness and buff it's raw though.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Astroniomix posted:

About the arena lance: turns out it cannot get white sharpness so it probably ends up losing out against most of the other options. It still looks amazing though.

Whew, you had me scared for a second there. I plan to make all the Lances eventually, but I really don't want to go into the Arena if I can help it.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I just had Bazelgeuse tag in Diablos like this is a drat fighting game :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-qWrPUIl60
I didn't notice the turf war popup on the right so it felt like he came out of nowhere

also the scoutfly thing happened again and I got it on tape this time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBYne_apMPo

Kobogartimer posted:

Your character is actually the best.
aw, thanks :kimchi:

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Well that was painful. Grinding Kirin through SOS's and drat was that team bad. Insect Glaive playing like a jackass, bow user spamming Arc Shot and tripping everyone, bowgun, Switch Axe....actually he did alright.

At least I know I'm at the point where I can more or less carry a team.

Seriously though, how do you get a full set of Val armor and still be so bad at handling Kirin?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

Here's a table I pulled from Reddit on gem rates.

Are you doing ALL tempered investigations? Because you don't get elder dragon gems in quest rewards. Only from breaks and carves. And the break is Vaal's head, which as we discussed earlier has to be broken THREE times to get the break reward. Other than that it's a 2% carve chance and a 3% chance to carve from the tail.

So long story short, find a regular investigation with as many silver and gold box rewards. Silver is a 6% chance while gold is 13%! You should have a ton lying around from already killing him a million times.

Oh god, the gem rates are that low? I'm going to be grinding Legiana for a while... :sigh:

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Centzon Totochtin posted:

What's the best lance for optimizing damage? If its Nerg or Odo with non-elemental boost, I don't need to work in handicraft into my build, but if it's vaal hazak's then I do

I also finally got a hero's streamstone for lances so I need to decide which one to use it on (I only have 2 warrior's streamstones for Odo, which I figured would do one attack one affinity)

Vaal, Odo, Bazel, and Nerg are all extremely competitive, just from my napkin math. Vaal and Bazel need Handicraft +4 or +5, Odo needs Non-Elemental Boost (or Awaken vs a fire-weak monster), and Nerg doesn't need anything but tops out lower than the others if you can keep their white up. This is pre-augment, Odo is the only Rarity 7 in there so it gets a slight boost if you are comparing everything fully augmented.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

King of Solomon posted:

Oh god, the gem rates are that low? I'm going to be grinding Legiana for a while... :sigh:

Rush the campaign to unlock tempered hunts, then do all three of your weekly Limited Bounties to get a Gold Wyverian Print. You can exchange those for Gems at the Elder Melder.

For one more day, the Limited Bounties this week are:
Hunt 3 Bird Wyverns (LR or HR)
Hunt 4 Anjanaths (LR or HR)
Hunt 5 Tempered Monsters (HR only)

So really, you'll be grinding for gems only if you've already spent that week's "free gem" on something else.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Also the low drop rates are a little misleading, as each individual body part in any given list of Quest Rewards is an individual roll on the loot table.

So it's entirely possible, if, absurdly rare, to get two Gems from your quest rewards because two of the reward slots rolled that 3% jackpot.

This is how and why I once got two Wyvern Gems in the same quest reward pile from the Wildspire Bolero quest, btw. And, oddly, why the same thing happened to me with Legiana Gems in the Snow & Cherry Blossoms quest. (Which I forgot also has tempered monsters so you can just keep hunting those, they're a tempered Pink Rathian and a Legiana and aren't any harder, AI-or-moves wise, than normal HR monsters, they just hit harder)

I'm not saying the rotating Event quests have a better chance of getting rare rewards, I'm saying I happened to luck out twice and both times it happened with them.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Your Computer posted:

Sometimes the desire sensor is kind

also I don't really have any decorations or anything yet but I made a simple 100% affinity set (with critical eye 7, weakness exploit 3 and basically nothing else) and I look like a jerk

"Oh, 100% affinity? You've probably never heard of it."

feels pretty fun to play with though :sax: spirit meter builds so god drat fast with crits

If it makes you feel any better our builds are almost identical except I stuck with the Rath greaves and in using the Xeno Cypher.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

occamsnailfile posted:

someday i pray for an end to the tyranny of gem grinding

My item boxes usually look like this so I guess I'm going to hell

Bit outdated at this point as I have way more but I want to show this to people of the past and see how they feel.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Bit outdated at this point as I have way more but I want to show this to people of the past and see how they feel.

Well now that's just silly

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It's a minor complaint but I really wish you could choose to go back to camp or HQ after the result screen and not before it. Most of the time I'm farming for something (like a gem) and I won't know if I get it until the results screen, in other words I don't know if I want to go back to camp (for less loading when I redo the investigation) or HQ. :saddowns:

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

by gosh you're going to heck :arghfist:

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
does Quick Sheathe effect the sheathing animation at the end of the longsword Spirit Combo?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Did anyone else hit a wall when the first fought odagaron (sp?) He doesn't seem that hard but he's carted me about 20 times. He feels like an easy fight and isnt hard to hit, but he's fast as hell and always out of my camera view.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

The one good thing about mostly sticking to one weapon and pre-planning my armor sets a bit is that I don't have to worry about gem farming. Between the 1 freebie per week, the 2 from the endemic life capture questlines, and occasional lucky drops, I haven't needed to grind any yet. Mostly I just saved my prints for the really annoying fights or hard-to-get ones like Val / Xeno / Bazel.

Meanwhile I'm swimming in bird wyvern gems but I don't think I've ever needed a single one.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

The one good thing about mostly sticking to one weapon and pre-planning my armor sets a bit is that I don't have to worry about gem farming. Between the 1 freebie per week, the 2 from the endemic life capture questlines, and occasional lucky drops, I haven't needed to grind any yet. Mostly I just saved my prints for the really annoying fights or hard-to-get ones like Val / Xeno / Bazel.

Meanwhile I'm swimming in bird wyvern gems but I don't think I've ever needed a single one.

You'll need gems when you unlock augmentations as almost every one requires a gem on top of the respective streamstone.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I just made the nerg version of just about every weapon so I just blow them on whatever at this point.

I made that trash rear end Aloy bow and wow yeah I am not feeling it at all.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

chaosapiant posted:

Did anyone else hit a wall when the first fought odagaron (sp?) He doesn't seem that hard but he's carted me about 20 times. He feels like an easy fight and isnt hard to hit, but he's fast as hell and always out of my camera view.

he's a very excited puppy :shittydog:

his speed and weird attack patterns (jumping around a lot) definitely confused me a bit at first too. The good news is that his attacks are all actually very predictable once you learn them, and a lot of the seemingly random and rapid attacks are actually one long attack where he moves around a lot. An example off the top of my head is the biting lunge with the windup; he'll always turn around and do it again in the opposite direction, so even if he's out of your view you can sidestep it and not get hit.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Finally got a blast jewel tonight...

And a bunch of rarity 8 bow jewels I will never use.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

chaosapiant posted:

the trick with Odog is if you're right in front of his face to stand still unless the attack is coming right at you eg the quick claw swipes or the wind-up bite. if you just stay rooted all his acrobatic garbage will miss completely.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
...so is there any particular reason Xeno has such a big bridal theme to it? The female armor looks like some bride of the cosmos stuff and the cat armor is a wedding gown and bouquet.

Val having an armor that looks like a funeral gown sure, it's a zombie, but what's this combo supposed to imply?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Older MHs had weirder armor themes just out of loving nowhere so I can't imagine there's any reason at all.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Your Computer posted:

I just had Bazelgeuse tag in Diablos like this is a drat fighting game :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-qWrPUIl60
I didn't notice the turf war popup on the right so it felt like he came out of nowhere

aw, thanks :kimchi:

Scout fly camera bug is a major blight

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Xeno'jiiva, you break it you buy marry it.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Rascyc posted:

Scout fly camera bug is a major blight

I would like resistance to this blight

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
So I put earplugs 3 charm on bazel head and I don't have earplugs 5 what gives?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Waroduce posted:

It's 1 point of Earplugs that takes up a level3 deco slot.

Yeah that hosed me over too.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Well poo poo. I'm not sure how I can improve on this:

Hammer's augmented with health recovery so between that and super regen I never need to use an item to heal ever, even on tempered elders. I'm pretty much invincible and I still kill most anything in a few minutes. I guess I could make more offense-oriented sets but it just doesn't seem worth it.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Flytrap posted:

...so is there any particular reason Xeno has such a big bridal theme to it? The female armor looks like some bride of the cosmos stuff and the cat armor is a wedding gown and bouquet.

Val having an armor that looks like a funeral gown sure, it's a zombie, but what's this combo supposed to imply?

Xeno Jiva is a newborn baby, so the maternity and matrimony theme makes sense.

Unless you want diper armor and a rattle weapon?

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Waroduce posted:

The number is the size of slot it needs. No decoration gives anything more than 1 point in a skill.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Monomythian posted:

a rattle weapon?

Well now I'm just sad they missed out on this Hunting Horn design.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
So I've been playing a lot with Royal Burst gunlance with normal shelling level 4, apparently the playstyles for wide and long shelling are different? What do you do differently for those kind of gunlances, I'm quite curious now.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)

Monomythian posted:

Xeno Jiva is a newborn baby, so the maternity and matrimony theme makes sense.

Unless you want diper armor and a rattle weapon?

Im totally sad you cant change the glowing color's of the dress.
Or any of the noticeably colors really.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Does anything else cause a CB to be auto sheathed other than running? It's set to manual sheathing but I still occasionally find myself waiting for the double slash charge sound and look to see it's been sheathed.

Your Computer posted:

Annoying you can't turn off the camera control being taken from you and that 180 turn in your video is a particularly neck wrenching one.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

did my first beetlejuice last night. god so loving annoying. his attacks are all super easy to avoid but every time i tried to get in i would get blown up by a bomb on the ground and lose 90% of my hp. it took loving forever. also his scream stuns you long enough for him to actually hit you which is rude. probably time to get some goddamn earplugs.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Beetle juice is better than pubbies for hunt support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Awesome! posted:

did my first beetlejuice last night. god so loving annoying. his attacks are all super easy to avoid but every time i tried to get in i would get blown up by a bomb on the ground and lose 90% of my hp. it took loving forever. also his scream stuns you long enough for him to actually hit you which is rude. probably time to get some goddamn earplugs.

I made and used a DP bow set just for him. Turned out to be pretty handy for Xeno, too.