Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

SalTheBard posted:

Butter Crime is fantastic. I did have trouble keeping all the names straight.

Not only is it a great topic, but their improv bits were far tighter than the meandering, half-hearted bits in the latest Australia live shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm still catching up on the humongous backlog, but my god Pedestrianism was great. Gary never managed to get over the subject.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm still catching up on the humongous backlog, but my god Pedestrianism was great. Gary never managed to get over the subject.

One of my favorites!!! I would follow that up with Bunion Derby.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Pedestrianism is probably my favorite "People trying to figure out this whole 'entertainment' thing" story. Boy were they tryin'!

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

JethroMcB posted:

Pedestrianism is probably my favorite "People trying to figure out this whole 'entertainment' thing" story. Boy were they tryin'!

I couldn't stop laughing. In that same vein Famous Sack of Flour and George the Chicken are both hilarious

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

SalTheBard posted:

One of my favorites!!! I would follow that up with Bunion Derby.

God yes, that one was so good. That's my takeaway from The Dollop - people were just so bored before television. Want to run across the US? Yeah, sure, it's not like we've got anything better to do.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
That's one thing I find so interesting. Like when they talk about People going to the harbour to watch shops come in because the itineraries were printed in the paper.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Coheed and Camembert posted:

That's my takeaway from The Dollop - people were just so bored before television.
That, and hats are serious business.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Coheed and Camembert posted:

God yes, that one was so good. That's my takeaway from The Dollop - people were just so bored before television. Want to run across the US? Yeah, sure, it's not like we've got anything better to do.

Giant sack of flour, why not

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Where's my animated dollop tv series with Dave as Mr.Peabody and Gary as Sherman.

Or a quantum leap type show of going to a different time period each episode and wishing to get out after seeing the crazy.

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

exploded mummy posted:

Even better, not one, but two giant wheels of cheese!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The second cheese was one of the all time great reveals.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

Quixotic1 posted:

Where's my animated dollop tv series with Dave as Mr.Peabody and Gary as Sherman.

Or a quantum leap type show of going to a different time period each episode and wishing to get out after seeing the crazy.

I think a "Drunk History" type of show with Dave and Gareth as narrators and actors dramatizing the story would be great. They could even get Jack Black to play the Rube.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

exploded mummy posted:

Heck, I'd bid on it, there she pops!

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

The Dollop is going to Boise. On the one hand, I can take a $10 cab home and drink real (not Utah) beer. But on the other hand, I'm afraid to see what Dave has dug up from Idaho history- I don't think Idaho has nearly as racist of a history as Oregon, but then again...the Aryan Nations.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Elitist Bitch posted:

The Dollop is going to Boise. On the one hand, I can take a $10 cab home and drink real (not Utah) beer. But on the other hand, I'm afraid to see what Dave has dug up from Idaho history- I don't think Idaho has nearly as racist of a history as Oregon, but then again...the Aryan Nations.

My first guess would be Ruby Ridge, but then it's The Dollop and Dave Anthony, so it's never gonna be the first guess.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Probably something about the Irish.

(All those potatoes, you see.)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The last episode was amazing and should be a moving. Just imagine those football kids mowing down the KKK... it's beautiful.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
On one hand the sound mixing kind of sucked and you couldn't hear the crowd and there were a bunch of long pauses probably because of that.

On the other hand listening to the KKK get clowned never gets old.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Fuckin' SJW snowflakes trying to police free speech on a college campus, typical. :rolleyes:

episode ruled

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I figured it was going to be something about its early history or the state prison. Then I saw this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boise_homosexuality_scandal

quote:

The Boise homosexuality scandal refers to a sweeping investigation of a supposed "homosexual underground" in Boise, Idaho that started in 1955. Beginning with the arrest of three men in October 1955, the investigation broadened to encompass allegations that over 100 young men and teenage boys had been involved in sexual acts with a ring of adult homosexual men. By the time the investigation wound down in January 1957, some 1,500 people had been questioned, sixteen men faced charges, and fifteen of them were sentenced to terms ranging from probation to life in prison.

Reportage of the investigation and arrests set off a moral panic in Boise, fueled by incendiary editorials in the city's newspaper. Although framed in terms of "protecting children" from adult predators, the probe was not confined to investigating charges of men having sex with underage boys and some of those convicted and sentenced to prison were found guilty only of sexual encounters with other consenting adults. The scandal highlighted the tension between the perception of homosexuality as a mental illness requiring treatment and homosexual sex as a criminal act mandating punishment and led to an examination of the problems of juvenile delinquency.

The reasons behind both the start and the end of the investigation are unclear. In his seminal book on the scandal, The Boys of Boise: Furor, Vice and Folly in an American City, journalist and academician John Gerassi suggests that the investigation began as a means for the wealthy elite of Boise to assert and maintain economic control of the city and the state. He asserts that a gay millionaire known as "The Queen" was the target of the probe, although he was never charged. With the son of the loudest proponent of the investigation implicated, Gerassi suggests that the forces behind the probe realized that homosexuals were at every level of society and that their wealth and power would not necessarily insulate them, leading them to quietly halt the investigation.

Serf
May 5, 2011

exploded mummy posted:

On one hand the sound mixing kind of sucked and you couldn't hear the crowd and there were a bunch of long pauses probably because of that.

yeah they could have gone through and cut out the 5+ second long silences after each joke

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
Saw someone on Facebook post this. Apparently "Jane O'Brien" is still out there.

EDIT: It was a bit. Leaving this up as a monument to my extreme gullibility.

Binowru fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Mar 7, 2018

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016

Serf posted:

yeah they could have gone through and cut out the 5+ second long silences after each joke

I really don't understand why they do this all the time... it makes it sound like going to a live show is the most awkward experience you could ever have. But on headphones you can tell people are laughing during those pauses, but they laughs barely come through unless it's a huge crescendo. I listened to it back to back with a live My Favorite Murder, and they leave in all the coughs, giggles, awkward single-person laughing, etc, and it's so much more fun to listen to even tho (imo) they're not as funny. Of course sometimes jokes don't land but whatever, they bring it back up.

Every live dollop sounds like a string of duds, even though it's not. My theory is that they know it sounds bad, but Dave Anthony is such a grouch that he doesn't want the people who randomly yell out to "win" by being heard.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

exploded mummy posted:

I was listening while driving and thought the podcast app kept freezing. I’d happily volunteer to edit out those chunks of nothingness to make them sound as good as they are.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
I can't stop imagining Dave losing his mind at someone pleasantly offering some free assistance to objectively improve his lucrative podcast. I'm afraid we're stuck with poor audio thanks to the many people who overreacted when it wasn't as bad or as easily fixed.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Busket Posket posted:

I was listening while driving and thought the podcast app kept freezing. I’d happily volunteer to edit out those chunks of nothingness to make them sound as good as they are.

if you cut out the silent bits please hang on to them so you can release a track that's just the silent parts for people who want it

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
And do it under a psudonym because DA will take offense and find you.

dougdougdougdoug
Jun 10, 2016

life is a joke posted:

I really don't understand why they do this all the time... it makes it sound like going to a live show is the most awkward experience you could ever have. But on headphones you can tell people are laughing during those pauses, but they laughs barely come through unless it's a huge crescendo. I listened to it back to back with a live My Favorite Murder, and they leave in all the coughs, giggles, awkward single-person laughing, etc, and it's so much more fun to listen to even tho (imo) they're not as funny. Of course sometimes jokes don't land but whatever, they bring it back up.

Every live dollop sounds like a string of duds, even though it's not. My theory is that they know it sounds bad, but Dave Anthony is such a grouch that he doesn't want the people who randomly yell out to "win" by being heard.

Dave said on Reddit it's because people scream out during live shows and then they get complaints about it from listeners.

So, they have not been recording the audience.

Basically, a can't win situation.

dougdougdougdoug
Jun 10, 2016

Fiendly posted:

I can't stop imagining Dave losing his mind at someone pleasantly offering some free assistance to objectively improve his lucrative podcast. I'm afraid we're stuck with poor audio thanks to the many people who overreacted when it wasn't as bad or as easily fixed.

People offer on twitter and he says if they'd like to go through the back catalogue and fix it they are welcome to.

And then they don't respond.

I've seen it a few times.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

dougdougdougdoug posted:

People offer on twitter and he says if they'd like to go through the back catalogue and fix it they are welcome to.

And then they don't respond.

I've seen it a few times.

I can understand some hesitation or even annoyance after dealing with that. Meh, maybe I’ll do a couple demos and email them over rather than making A Thing out of it.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Busket Posket posted:

I can understand some hesitation or even annoyance after dealing with that. Meh, maybe I’ll do a couple demos and email them over rather than making A Thing out of it.

That's probably a better way to go about it. Offer proof before claiming you can fix things. (I would definitely be nervous about saying anything to Dave.)

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016

dougdougdougdoug posted:

Dave said on Reddit it's because people scream out during live shows and then they get complaints about it from listeners.

So, they have not been recording the audience.

Basically, a can't win situation.

Ha I guess he's not hard to read then, that was just my guess and I'm pretty new to the show.

I'd rather they just leave them in through. There's probably no way to stop it considering how much drinking goes on at live events. I went to a different live podcast and before it started they nicely explained that they appreciate enthusiasm, but shouting out just adds more editing time and won't be heard when it gets released, and that it breaks up the flow of the story. Still, people would answer rhetorical questions, correct incorrect pronunciations, yell sports stuff when certain cities were mentioned and all that. It was annoying but that's just how it is in a live setting especially when you mix in alcohol. I'd rather have that than silence.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
The thing about Dave Anthony is he called his one man show Hothead for a reason.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I don't think they've ever directly talked about it on the show, but Dave had an intensely hosed up upbringing and it's honestly surprising he's as functional as he is.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
Huh I didn't know that. I live about a mile from where he grew up, and unless it's changed a lot since he was a kid it's one of those places where people don't let anyone know they have any problems. I'm just guessing but I bet he had no outlet to express himself or talk about his parents who sound pretty bad according to his wikipedia article. My gf does babysitting for all these rich Marin families while she's finishing school and she has some pretty sad stories about stuff that goes on. that's probably the case anywhere you go that people feel the need to keep up appearances, but when I heard him say he grew up in Sleepy Hollow i kind of assumed he was a privileged kid and his angry hardass thing was an act. Like all those comics from quiet Boston suburbs who play up the "you show up in MY neighborhood tawkin poo poo and youre getting a SOUTHIE-STYLE beatdown. pahk ya cah" attitude.

Anyhow, he mentioned where he grew up in a early episode, i started at 1 and did the first 15 or so... what's the arc like for the quality of the show? There's too many to do the whole series, is there a golden age era I should be checking out? Is it getting better? Worse? Every show stalls at some point and if they ran out of steam at a certain time id want to only go up to that point.

life is a joke fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Mar 8, 2018

dougdougdougdoug
Jun 10, 2016

life is a joke posted:

Ha I guess he's not hard to read then, that was just my guess and I'm pretty new to the show.

I'd rather they just leave them in through. There's probably no way to stop it considering how much drinking goes on at live events. I went to a different live podcast and before it started they nicely explained that they appreciate enthusiasm, but shouting out just adds more editing time and won't be heard when it gets released, and that it breaks up the flow of the story. Still, people would answer rhetorical questions, correct incorrect pronunciations, yell sports stuff when certain cities were mentioned and all that. It was annoying but that's just how it is in a live setting especially when you mix in alcohol. I'd rather have that than silence.

Yeah, I agree. But others disagree. It's all a matter of taste. I think it's better with it in.

They do give an explanation and tell people not to be quiet. I was at the Seattle second show and the yelling and talking was borderline intolerable live. A lot of people said the show was ruined for them.

dougdougdougdoug fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Mar 8, 2018

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.9news.com.au/world/2018/03/10/17/32/hippo-mexico-lost-tyson

NO SLEEP TILL HIPPO

They didn't miss us by far! Poor bastard.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Poor hippo.
I was spotted by the media near a garbage dump once. That poo poo follows you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
after all the pointless whining i did on this page, they end up releasing a live one today that sounds good and they roll with the shouting etc.
i wanna see them live some time.