Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Moatman posted:

Does it have to be one unit? Because for value (and not looking like gamertrash) you may want to look into an inline mic or modmic sort of dealie on a decent pair of 60-80 dollar headphones.
Speaking of, does anyone know if the modmic effects the sound quality when it's mounted on the mesh back of the HD6XXs?

Hmm I actually haven’t heard of modmics before. If they work well and aren’t annoying I’d definitely consider them, my desk is kind of small so there’s not enough space for a stand-alone mic and all the other things I need on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Parker Lewis posted:

Someone talk me out of rolling the $700 dice on the Massdrop x Focal Elex.

Speculation is that their quality will fall somewhere in between the Elear and Clear, potentially closer to the Clears than the Elears, which would make them a good “value” at less than half the price.

After my HE560 disappointment I’m ready to just throw some money at an “end game”-type all-arounder headphone and then not worry about headphones for a few years.

I do have a pair of HD6XX coming at the end of March from the most recent drop, so I’d be directly comparing the Elex against the 6XX.

If you're in the market for a high end "keeper" open dynamic then I can't see anything wrong with the Elex as a choice.

It looks like a pretty good package actually since they include a balanced XLR cable, which is another couple hundred bucks saved right there since you won't need to buy one from a custom cable maker.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

DancingShade posted:

If you're in the market for a high end "keeper" open dynamic then I can't see anything wrong with the Elex as a choice.

It looks like a pretty good package actually since they include a balanced XLR cable, which is another couple hundred bucks saved right there since you won't need to buy one from a custom cable maker.

Balanced cable is nice, I guess, but I just got a Magni 3 and don't see myself stepping up to a balanced-output amp anytime soon. I would have rather either paid less for the drop with just a single 1/4" cable or had the carrying case included instead of the cable.

Parker Lewis fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Feb 26, 2018

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

DancingShade posted:

A custom XLR cable better be the cable to end all cables for a couple hundo :wtc:

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

skull mask mcgee posted:

A custom XLR cable better be the cable to end all cables for a couple hundo :wtc:

As with all things audiophile-related, there are people who are very stupid about headphone cables. Some of them pay thousands of dollars for custom cables and claim that they can hear the difference in the sound “based on the purity of the silver”.

Probably better suited to the “Ridicule Audiophiles” thread though...

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Parker Lewis posted:

Someone talk me out of rolling the $700 dice on the Massdrop x Focal Elex.

Speculation is that their quality will fall somewhere in between the Elear and Clear, potentially closer to the Clears than the Elears, which would make them a good “value” at less than half the price.

After my HE560 disappointment I’m ready to just throw some money at an “end game”-type all-arounder headphone and then not worry about headphones for a few years.

I do have a pair of HD6XX coming at the end of March from the most recent drop, so I’d be directly comparing the Elex against the 6XX.

Fuckkkkkk. I really want a pair of these but I can't justify it.
Actually, I can't even afford it.
Actually, I don't even have $700 rn.

I can't wait for your trip report.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Food $200
Data $150
Rent $800
Putters $3,600
Utility $150

someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my family needs headphones

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I'm gonna give the Elex a shot, I figure worst-case scenario the limited-run factor would let me eBay them for close to their original cost. Best-case scenario, they're pretty much a set of Clears for half the price.

Now to mark my calendar for some time in early May.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

D1E posted:

As with all things audiophile-related, there are people who are very stupid about headphone cables. Some of them pay thousands of dollars for custom cables and claim that they can hear the difference in the sound “based on the purity of the silver”.

Probably better suited to the “Ridicule Audiophiles” thread though...

Balanced XLR cables have their place but they're a thing you know you need rather than a thing you should get if you can't see a reason. If that makes sense. It's very usage specific. If you're just buying one functionally identical to the stock cable with the same terminations then you wasted your money. Usually buying a custom XLR cable is still much cheaper than buying an OEM one, they're very overpriced.

The only headphones I own that need balanced output are my ZMF Vibro MKIIs because those things are very power thirsty even on my Jotunheim. Then again the regular phase driver inside is pretty much ancient by today's standards.

The best part when it comes to fancy cables you probably don't need is when people go for the super high end ones (you never need or want those ones) and get metal combos in their cables & terminations that sound impressive on paper and look very shiny in the pictures but which are subject to galvanic corrosion.

Why yes I should love to have red plague in my audio cables. That sounds delightful.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=120&cp_id=12001&cs_id=1082707&p_id=16051&seq=1&format=2

Monolith M560 Planar headphones are on clearance. 25% off makes them $150.

Today's additional 20% off site wide discount code does not apply to them, but they do have free shipping.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!
If I'm going to spend $200 / $250 or so on some headphones for listening to tunes, I assume Sennheiser HD 600 realistically my best option for the money, yes?

I like a balanced sound with a true midrange, and prefer an accurate bass that isn't too overpowering.

Anything else over-ear that I should consider?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Homestar Runner posted:

If I'm going to spend $200 / $250 or so on some headphones for listening to tunes, I assume Sennheiser HD 600 realistically my best option for the money, yes?

I like a balanced sound with a true midrange, and prefer an accurate bass that isn't too overpowering.

I think you know exactly what you want. Enjoy your new headphones.
Note: the HD6XX are also an option.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Homestar Runner posted:

You want

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Note: the HD6XX are also an option.

RoboCop 3
Feb 5, 2018

Homestar Runner posted:

I like a balanced sound with a true midrange, and prefer an accurate bass that isn't too overpowering

That’s pretty much the textbook definition of the HD 600s.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

I have ever played!
Thanks hombres! Should I also get an amp for the 600 / 6xx also? If so, any recommendations?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Homestar Runner posted:

Thanks hombres! Should I also get an amp for the 600 / 6xx also? If so, any recommendations?
FYI, the 600 and 6xx are different. The 6xx is a rebranded 650, and the 600 and 650 have (very slightly) different sound signatures.

I'd give them a shot without an amp first.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Homestar Runner posted:

Yes, and yes. I like the Schiit Fulla 2, it's got a built-in dac, line-outs, preamp outs and an analog input. You can use it as a preamp for your speakers, you can plug your phone into it. It's handy and cheap. It's not the most powerful thing in the world, but it'll run your 600s just fine. Just don't expect to use it with high-impedance planars or whatever.

You can easily go down the amp rabbit hole later, HD600s really shine with beefy amps and tubes if you want to get into it, but you can still use the Fulla as your dac in that scenario.

Josh Lyman posted:

I'd give them a shot without an amp first.

I wouldn't. They're 300 ohm cans, they really do need an amp. The new HD660s don't, but they're also double the price, so pick your poison.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Homestar Runner posted:

I wouldn't say it's a requirement, but I would also say that when you finally get an amp on them, you're going to be pleasantly surprised.
I like the idea of not getting an amp at first, getting used to them, then putting an amp on them and being overwhelmed.
Careful though it's really easy to turn them up way too loud and keep them there.

I've been really happy with my Teac UD-501 as a headphone amp, but I prefer my Teac AX-501 a little more.
Id say that any Schiit product will drive them sufficiently.

In a similar vein... I'm incredibly interested in this amp: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-thx-aaa-789-linear-amplifier
I totally don't need it, and can't afford to blow any cash that's not in my budget at the moment so I'm probably gonna miss this drop. But if someone else could go ahead and buy it and let me know how it is then that would be greeeeeeeeeeat.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Mar 1, 2018

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

As I was getting ready to sit down and take apart my Monoprice M560, which haven't worked in five months since they fell, I tested them and they work again. I guess they also just really wanted me to clean out my office :v:

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I wouldn't say it's a requirement, but I would also say that when you finally get an amp on them, you're going to be pleasantly surprised.
I like the idea of not getting an amp at first, getting used to them, then putting an amp on them and being overwhelmed.

That's sort of like buying a 4k monitor for a computer that can only output 1080p. Yeah, it'll work, and it'll probably look better than your lovely old TN panel, but it's a waste of money.

HD600s are high impedance headphones, they're just not going to work as designed from an underpowered source. If you want headphones that don't need an amp, there are plenty of great options like the M1060 or X2 or HE4XX or, for that matter, the HD660S.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
FWIW I think my HD650s sound fine out of ipad/iphone6s at about 55% volume

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

I have ever played!
Thanks for the info dudes!

Just so I've got all my bases covered, does anyone know if the sound signature of the 660S leans more towards the 600 (slightly lighter bass, brighter mid/treble) or the 650 (stronger bass, warmer mid/treble)?

Fetko
Oct 21, 2004
So i semi-impulse purchased a pair of Focal Clears last week (3 days of debating, most of it while drinking,) and holy poo poo are these things great. So far I've just listened to local music (mp3/flac) and Spotify with my Schiit stack (modi uber/magni,) and it is amazing. I was slightly worried about not having enough bass from some of the things I read, but that's not a problem at all. I'll dig in to some of my vinyl this weekend.

Can't really recommend them to most people, as I don't know that the quality justifies the price over the HD6XXs I have (which really do benefit from an amp, at least from my PC on-board audio,) but if you're looking for a step up these things are great.

Anyway, thanks to anyone who mentioned them recently in this thread. I think I'm set with these until I destroy them somehow. Given my HD595s lasted me a decade, it shouldn't be anytime soon.

tl;dr: don't play Overwatch without a pair of Focal Clears.

Fetko fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Mar 2, 2018

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Drunken courage is how I bought most of my collection too. Hope your enjoy your shiny new toy.

Once you get something you're really happy with your music collection becomes like new again.

Fetko
Oct 21, 2004
Yep. Speeding up the intensifying of my tinnitus!

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
So I’ve had my triple fis for like a million years now, gone through a bunch of tips and cables. I’m generally happy with the sound but I find myself wishing for something that doesn’t stick out of my ears as much.

I’ve had super fi 5s remoulded into custom acrylic iems, and didn’t find them more comfortable than foamies. I’ve also owned the se535 and se425s for a while but didn’t enjoy their sound as much. I liked the se846s but they were a bit too $$$

What are some alternatives I can look into, mainly in terms of design and comfort? I’m also intrigued by some of the Chinese ones that have been popping up, but I’m totally out of the loop since I’ve generally been satisfied with my tf10s. They should have replaceable cables though, since I’m really hard on them for some reason.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Homestar Runner posted:

Thanks for the info dudes!

Just so I've got all my bases covered, does anyone know if the sound signature of the 660S leans more towards the 600 (slightly lighter bass, brighter mid/treble) or the 650 (stronger bass, warmer mid/treble)?

The reviewer consensus seems to be that they're closer to the 600 than 650, though I never found that huge a difference between those two to begin with.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Fetko posted:

Yep. Speeding up the intensifying of my tinnitus!

Just because you can turn the volume right up doesn't mean you should though.

If you already have ear issues it might be worth investing in something to measure the decibels and monitoring your listening habits.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

660s sounded somewhat brighter than 650s to me. Never heard 600s so I couldn't say how the two compare.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

I purchased some Sony WH-1000XM2s a few months ago, and absolutely adore them, except for one thing.

Does anyone have any advice on how to reduce bluetooth audio latency on Android Oreo (which allows you to change a bunch of bluetooth audio settings in the Developer Mode)? I know it's not the headphones, since I can connect them to my PC (AptXHD) and not have a noticeable lag. I know it's not the phone (Leeco Le Max 2, 6GB RAM and Snapdragon 820), because I previously had bluetooth headphones that had no noticeable lag when connected to it. So I'm hoping it's some combination of settings and headphone comparability that is the culprit.

Arcanen fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Mar 3, 2018

Fetko
Oct 21, 2004

DancingShade posted:

Just because you can turn the volume right up doesn't mean you should though.

If you already have ear issues it might be worth investing in something to measure the decibels and monitoring your listening habits.

Oh, I mostly listen at reasonably levels. I've had tinnitus as far as I can remember and have no desire to worsen it. Concerts without earplugs are my one mistake.

playground tough
Oct 29, 2007
This might be a long shot, but, I'm looking for a pair of headphones I can use both wirelessly at work, and can plug in to my desktop at home for gaming with decent sound quality. My Grado headphones are great, but I live in a small apartment now and theres a lot of noise that interferes b/c of the open back design.

Are there any decent options that meet these criteria, or am I better off buying airpods for work and some closed backs at home?

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
I actually once had an experimental phase on trying out wireless gaming, and tried the following:

Sennheiser RS-160 - Probably best sound quality out of the bunch. (KLEER is the best, please use it headphone manufacturers) If you're going to swap between work and home, then you have to carry this lightweight puck receiver around. Very cheap feeling earpads but passable. No mic. Sennheiser has been revamping these with multiple models since then but they all look super heavy and bulky.

Logitech G533 - Surprisingly decent sound quality. Very convenient since it just uses a small dongle. Mic is pretty nasally but I don't use it. Kinda bulky, so I'm not sure if you'd want to wear this to work but it's not super gamery looking compared to Logitech's other headsets.

Steelseries Arctis 7 - About the same sound as G533 actually. Better looking design and slimmer. Also has a puck you have to carry around if you're going back and forth with both. Decent mic.

HyperX Cloud Flight - No actual experience with this, but it just came out and seem to be very comparable to the G533 above but less bulky.

All the choices above have zero latency which you need for gaming, but I don't know if they're low-key enough for you to wear to work. That's entirely up to you. I'm also assuming you're going to use these with a work PC. Disregard if you're going to use it with your phone.

If you want to get a little creative, you can also get a Bluetooth adapter and convert audiophile headphones to wireless. You can then pair it with the recommended but easy to drive closed back headphones in this thread. Bluetooth and latency can get a little tricky and confusing though. Especially on the PC side of things since there's so many dongles (and their respective drivers) out there with varying quality.

Constellation I fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Mar 4, 2018

playground tough
Oct 29, 2007
Thanks for the recommendations, but I guess I should clarify further that I’m looking for a set that is capable of Bluetooth for my macbook setup at work(iPhone on the train too), and capable of being plugged in via analog cable on my desktop pc for gaming.

Not interested in making the jump to wireless gaming. I also have a decent standalone mic for my pc so a microphone is not an important qualifier for me. I’m not really a believer in gaming headsets.

If there isn’t something decent in this category I’m looking to just pick up airpods/X3(unless there’s a cheaper viable option that’s just as good sound-wise for a MacBook&iphone). Then Beyerdynamic DT770 for the desktop at home.

My current hang up with the air pods is I know they might not block ambient noise very well, but the conveniences within Apple ecosystem, charge case, and full wireless are very appealing. I might have to try them out at an Apple store.

Also can anyone speak to the sound quality of AirPod vs jay bird X3? I had a set of the X2, and liked them decently, but they got lost or stolen. The new X3 charger seems kind of annoying to keep track of, and that’s one of my biggest reservations in picking them up over the airpods.

Apologies for so much info but this has been a hard decision I’ve been trying to make for a while and want to make the right purchase so I don’t have to return stuff/have headphones pile up vOv

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

If I'm looking to be able to switch between turntable and PC line out input, and feed primarily headphones but also a set of powered speakers, the two setups that jump out at me are:

code:
Line out -> 
Mani     ->  RCA switch -> Magni 3 -> Speakers/headphones
or, for extra fancy,
code:
Line out              ->             
Jotunheim phono stage -> Jotunheim -> Speakers/headphones
Am I overlooking something? I'm not really wedded to Schiit either, they just seem to be well liked around here and I'm most familiar with their products, so other suggestions would be welcome.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

the yeti posted:

If I'm looking to be able to switch between turntable and PC line out input, and feed primarily headphones but also a set of powered speakers, the two setups that jump out at me are:

code:
Line out -> 
Mani     ->  RCA switch -> Magni 3 -> Speakers/headphones
or, for extra fancy,
code:
Line out              ->             
Jotunheim phono stage -> Jotunheim -> Speakers/headphones
Am I overlooking something? I'm not really wedded to Schiit either, they just seem to be well liked around here and I'm most familiar with their products, so other suggestions would be welcome.

Sure, you could do the same with a fulla 2 or a micca origen or that monoprice desktop headphone amp. You just need something with 2 stereo inputs and a line-out, or a pre-out if you want to control the speaker volume with the same knob as your headphones. There are lots of options. You do need a phono preamp for the turntable though unless it gives you proper line-out.

Hackjack
Apr 1, 2013
Wondering if I could get some product recommendations, or get pointed in the right direction of some products I could try out in a store somewhere.

I need headphones mostly for work (but will probably spill over to use in daily life as well). My specific need is that I’m moderate deaf/hard-of-hearing and my behind-the-ear hearing aids are either extremely uncomfortable or cause feedback with headphones with average-sized ear pads.

Looking for either over-the-ear headphones with massive ear pads (diameter larger than outer ear), or headphones with ear pad only on one ear and other side braced against the temple (dunno if these have a standard name but I used them growing up).

Budget: I know it’ll probably be a very specialized product so... $500?
Sound quality: honestly doesn’t matter to me, for obvious reasons. Just needs to be loud enough, especially in the low range and high range that I can hear well in. If maybe there are amplifiers I can buy to improve this, would appreciate recommendations there too.
Prefer to have a microphone but not a dealbreaker.
Prefer to be capable of both Bluetooth or cabled, but no big deal.
Sounds cancelling would be nice but also not a big deal.

Anyone able to point me in the right direction for this kind of thing? Thanks!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Lube banjo posted:

FWIW I think my HD650s sound fine out of ipad/iphone6s at about 55% volume

:same:
Pixel 2 at about 80% is fantastic.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

:same:
Pixel 2 at about 80% is fantastic.

Out of the USB-C adapter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

NewFatMike posted:

Out of the USB-C adapter?

yup.