Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

revert all the distortion weapon warning changes :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

icantfindaname posted:

Is it worth training stealth as a melee tank? I’ve played two or three games as experiments and it seems neat but if I’m just going to kill things with an axe anyway what’s the point?

My rules of thumb:
Plate and above (18+ ER)-> don't train
FDA (11 ER) -> might be useful if you have spare EXP or favorable apts
Robe/leather (4- ER) -> always get at least some

Stealth increases the damage of stabs, but that's generally not important for melee tanks barring goofy edge cases like invis evokers. For non stabbers big benefits are being able to walk away from encounters and not attracting as much attention (this is especially useful in Abyss and Pan). It also makes monsters chasing you more likely to forget you when out of sight.

Ignoring bonuses/maluses the stealth formula is

stealth = 3*dex + 15*SK_STEALTH -2 × (Encumbrance rating)^2 / 3

There's no penalty for going below 0, and the effects will probably become noticeable at around 100 as the detection formula is roughly a (22 + HD) / stealth chance per turn. Unlike the casting and evasion penalties the stealth penalty is unaffected by strength.

To get 100 stealth at 15 dex,

GDA (23 ER): 27 levels of stealth skill
Plate (18 ER): 18 levels of stealth skill
FDA (11 ER): 9 levels of stealth skill
Leather (4 ER): 4 levels of stealth skill

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what if jiyva had a percentile chance for items eaten by jellies to be dropped at your feet god-gift style

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Tollymain posted:

what if jiyva had a percentile chance for items eaten by jellies to be dropped at your feet god-gift style

So long as this includes any item the jellies have eaten, especially random dungeon garbage, I'm all for it.

"Jivya proudly regurgitates a meal," or something of the sort.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yes

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

What if Jiyva wasn't designed around a really terrible mechanic that was largely removed from the game years ago

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

GeneX posted:

So long as this includes any item the jellies have eaten, especially random dungeon garbage, I'm all for it.

"Jivya proudly regurgitates a meal," or something of the sort.

What if she only rarely gave back but it would be in form of randarts that would accumulate some of the stats of the stuff the slimes ate (or if you instead got a high piety cost ability to dump them all into a generic item to get a randart with them)

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
What if we just reimplemented jellies eating items, so we can all enjoy it?

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

worshipping jivya now turns you into a jelly, you absorb items to temporarily gain their benefits (if they're equipment) or consume them (if they are potions food etc)

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
And put a bunch on every floor

And renamed the fork "Jyiva Crawl: Jelly Soup"

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

tote up a bags posted:

worshipping jivya now turns you into a jelly, you absorb items to temporarily gain their benefits (if they're equipment) or consume them (if they are potions food etc)

If you die as a jelly you turn into a named jelly that some poor sod on the server also gonna encounter eventually. Jyiva takes the server over eventually.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
So I kept thinking on it and I have an idea on pake and rods that would work with the new wand system. Otherwise I have no real idea for 'em then just drop rods and supercharge and bring pake back as a god that just allows infinite wand charges with slight boosting.

The idea for the new Pake and Rods is bring rods back in a complete new form that only drop come from Pake.

• While worshipping Pake you are forbidden from casting like with trog
  • You are given a the new rods* as gifts fairly often
  • Quick charge can be used to get either wand charges (amount of charge would have to be determined by wand) or to recharge quickly a rod
  • Super Charge is replaced with a one time request of a new rod* with a specific spell
  • The power boost ability which name alludes me at moment remains same

*New Rod changes
  • Can be evoked from inventory
  • Works similar to original rods that had multiple abilities of which you choose when evoking
  • Their mana/energy pool is fixed at 12 or something. number will need to be fine tuned
  • Only way to receive them is through Pakellas worship. On abandoning Pake they become inert unless worship is reestablished
  • Rods no longer have unique abilities but pull from spell pool (what spells should be up to grab will be fine tuned, but don't think they should go past lvl 6 spells)
  • Rod's spell power determined by evocation, not the spells school
  • When a rod is generated use the randart spell book generation code to choose spells on it
  • Spell level determines the energy cost to rod

Idea being turning Pake into a god where you have to abandon having magic in a more controllable sense for near infinite wand charges and a few powerful tools that will provide access to a widely random assortment of spells.

Like I said, I would love to have classic Pake back to, but with all the major changes to wand and evocables since they were in game I just not sure how classic Pake could fit.

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Feb 27, 2018

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

So Pakellas becomes the god of magic shotguns? Sounds like a god I'd worship.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Well, they kind of already was the two or three games I won with 'em, but I'm cool with leaving scatter shot on wands now

God, old Pake was the only way I ever 15 runed a mummy

Patashu
Jan 7, 2009
https://crawl.develz.org/tavern/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=25154

A new fork just came out called dcss-spicy, which adds a lot of gameplay modifiers that can be mixed and matched, such as difficulty levels, an alternate exp system, unlimited ammo and instakill protection.

EDIT: BTW, what would people think of a Wu Jian Council buff in Gooncrawl? The two things I'd buff are
1) make martial arts deal more damage. Right now they're on par with or worse than tabbing except for their tactical uses, so that you don't have to use them in every fights and can instead just tab. But if you took WJC on purpose you probably WANT to not just tab, so why not make them advantageous for people who want to use WJC? It's not like he'd be the most broken god in the game suddenly (that would still go to Trog, Kiku, Nemelex or whatever). (Alternatively or additionally, they could give you a one turn EV bonus.)
2) Make amulet of the acrobat work with martial arts attacks. If this turns out to be broken AF, it can give 50% or 33% EV instead of the full 15.

Another thing WJC could do is make you extremely good at cross-training (all melee weapons use the skill of your highest weapon skill level. Or maybe it's a % thing based on piety)

EDIT: Megabyss update - Megabyss corruption is in. After hitting Abyss:27, every floor in the dungeon will be corrupted in 1d3 random areas. It stacks with Lugonu corruption, so if you also worship Lugonu you can corrupt every level in TWO different ways. Messed with the balance a little more, once I'm happy with it I'll make a pull request.

I also made deep Abyss's item spawning rate go up rapidly. It's an itemsplosion! I think this will make going to deep Abyss fun and profitable.

Patashu fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Feb 28, 2018

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Can we have a branch which is exclusively LOTR things, a safespace for us High Elf fans

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Hyped to Megabyss with a VpAk

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
actual feature request: new pilgrim background that serves at the zealot equivalent of a wanderer. starts w shortsword, robe, mediocre skill in fighting/dodging/stealth/invocations(unless god doesn't use invocations). oh and 3 stars of piety but with a randomly selected god

random god is selected from a pool excluding gods who are specific to existing zealot classes already

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
or monk starts w a portable unknown altar in their inventory, that would be cool too

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders
The most I've managed is snatching the Abyssal rune directly from an AK start, but I always entertained the idea of surviving the Abyss indefinitely starting from level 1, maybe it's possible with good loot in Megabyss :O

Patashu
Jan 7, 2009
Ok, after fixing a crash bug (oops) and getting the balancing good-enough, Megabyss pull request made. I am sure there's room for improvement.

https://github.com/Floodkiller/crawl/pull/12

EDIT: Also made a pull request for two reversions - noise breaking mesm/fear, disint/iood/bolt of energy digging walls.

https://github.com/Floodkiller/crawl/pull/13

Patashu fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Mar 1, 2018

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
Holy poo poo, I just found an Undertale reference

the units are

an iron golem
a thorn hunter (a big flower enemy)
a merfolk javelineer
two yaks (smaller and bigger variant)
a kobold
a human skeleton and a deep dwarf skeleton

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lmao nice vault

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

That's actually insanely impressive, and must be removed in .22 as references to other medias are of course bad

Patashu
Jan 7, 2009

tote up a bags posted:

That's actually insanely impressive, and must be removed in .22 as references to other medias are of course bad

Spoilers: It was added in Gooncrawl, not in vanilla

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's subtle but great, lets have a lot of poo poo like this.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Teal posted:

It's subtle but great, lets have a lot of poo poo like this.

As long as a vault submission isn't incredibly dangerous/generous/out of place, I'll likely just merge it without requiring a survey. Go nuts and submit!

E- Fun crawlcode tidbit I learned making that vault: monster deep dwarf damage shaving will let a monster survive being hit by the Axe of Woe (the infinite damage axe from meatsprint).

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 1, 2018

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Time for goatsevault and a vault with a crazy guy who just recites the John Galt speech until you kill him

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Mr. Despair posted:

Time for goatsevault and a vault with a crazy guy who just recites the John Galt speech until you kill him

Alternate crazy yiuf vault where he’s surrounded by a series of single coins spelling out “Ayn Rand” as he recites the entire speech

Smoke_Max
Sep 7, 2011

Played my second game today as a minotaur berserker, got banished to the Abyss somehow and died fighting a reaper. I think I'll try another class.

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Smoke_Max posted:

Played my second game today as a minotaur berserker, got banished to the Abyss somehow and died fighting a reaper. I think I'll try another class.

MiBe is literally the easiest class. Getting banished is bullshit that's kinda hard to avoid; if you find out you're getting it by distortion you need to kill whoever's responsible ASAP or run. It's one of the less forgiving mechanics in the game.

Smoke_Max
Sep 7, 2011

I think it was distortion then, good to know that exists. The wiki page for distortion even helpfully points out that the thing I was fighting had it (Sonja). I'll avoid her next time instead of trying to bash her head in.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Sonja is one of the notorious newbie killers, along with Sigmund, Crazy Yiuf, and sometimes Robin.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It tells you if an enemy has a distortion weapon. It's worth checking what they have when enemies come into view.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

A lot of early uniques and monsters who can have scary weapons or distortion weapons also have pretty low MR. If you find a wand of paralysis or polymorph, hitting them with it can neutralize the threat pretty easily.

Sometimes you don't find one tho and should run away

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Phone posting so don't have the syntax but you can add a line to your rc that forces more when there is a distortion weapon.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
okay here's a detailed proposal for okawaru equipment gifting:

after slaying a red-tier monster, okawaru will send you a randomly generated warrior spirit w good gift equipment. they're a pretty sticky summon, they only go away when they're defeated or you take the stairs. if you hit them at full health to initiate a duel with them and win, you get their stuff. if you attack them under full health, okawaru disapproves of your dishonorable methods and gives the ghost might or haste or both you get the idea.

ammo should probably still be gifted the normal way though

e: can we bring back the jester class btw

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Mar 2, 2018

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Unimpressed posted:

Phone posting so don't have the syntax but you can add a line to your rc that forces more when there is a distortion weapon.

force_more_message += wielding.*of distortion
force_more_message += of distortion.*comes? into view
force_more_message += hits you.*distortion

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Force_more on distortion is actually *default* in base game nowadays. Stop mashing spacebar, people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
whats the rcfile lines for "im worshipping yred and any time i recall some pets for a big fight the game slows down super hard and i have to mash the spacebar a lot"

• Locked thread