Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I have yet to see someone not like 6, unless you're specifically talking about 6's remake and the awful art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Is there a single ff that most people itt like

most people like most of them. i think people just rly like going on bizarre rants

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

seiferguy posted:

I have yet to see someone not like 6, unless you're specifically talking about 6's remake and the awful art.

Nah, I've seen plenty of people complain about how the game is fine but generic/basic in the World of Balance, but that it falls apart in the WoR and nobody gets and characterization and it's all dumb sidequests and so they don't like FF6.

Yeah, I think the most widely liked are 9 and T. Although plenty of people complain about how slow 9 is, to the point they can't bear to play it. So maybe just FFT.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I dislike the character designs of 9 to the point where I have a really hard time getting into the game, does that count?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Tactics doesn't garner criticism because it's a spin off in a niche-ish genre so people who wouldn't like it never try it, compared to mainline games people might give a try and then be turned off by. I'm sure plenty don't like Tactics, we just never hear about it.

Also it has translation slapfights I guess.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

V gave us Gilgamesh, so I don't see how anyone could dislike it.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

That's true, everyone likes FFV. Don't know how I forgot that one.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
As a regular reader of this thread, general goon opinion seems to be:

1: ok, boring dungeon crawler, mainly liked because it started the whole "final fantasy" thing.
2: bad, level up system makes the game unplayable
3: bad: started the job system which is good, but poorly implemented and unnecessarily hard in some places
4: good, albeit dated, still playable to this day
5: very good, gave us a great job system and fiesta, and Gilgamesh and Butz
6: fantastic
7: great, although most people realize "best game ever" is a bit overhyped
8: mediocre, junction system sucks, but there's fun things going for it
9: great, goes back to basics, most complaints are levied over how slow the game is which the PC version fixes
10: great, except for the laughing scene
10-2: good, job system is fun but some people can't get into for some reason
11: is an MMO, and by MMO standards would not be fun at all today
12: okay, depends on how you feel about gambits
13: okay, everyone that's played it has something they don't like about it
14: for MMO players one of the best mainstream MMOs to play today (pretend 1.0 doesn't exist)
15: good, not the best of the series, but despite its flaws you should be able to enjoy it
Mystic quest: clearly the best

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
If I had to choose only one Final Fantasy to exist in this reality, I would choose Mystic Quest.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Every game is the worst game in the series, imo. Peace and love, kkthxbai

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

My favorite final fantasy is 14, because it's all of them at once

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Theatrhythm, of course. Plus it has music from the best numbered Final Fantasy, Nier.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

If you're going to ask what the most genuinely popular FF game is, it's 7. You can argue about how people don't like a 7 that actually exists or whatever but it's 7.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Calaveron posted:

Birds don't piss

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Final Fantasy Megathread - Birds don’t piss

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Yeah 7's the only classic FF that's getting a full 3d HD super wow remake that's never actually coming out and is just a gigantic waste of money and a way to keep Nomura away from other SE properties

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I mean besides KH but I don't think anyone wants to touch KH

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I actually really like the idea that FF7R is a glorified sandtrap made solely to keep Nomura from ruining any more of SE's projects with his endless dilly-dallying.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
IIRC wasn't the reason none of his projects were being released was because they kept pulling him and his team off to do other poo poo way too often?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Oxxidation posted:

I actually really like the idea that FF7R is a glorified sandtrap made solely to keep Nomura from ruining any more of SE's projects with his endless dilly-dallying.

Shilly-shallying more like, at this point.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

The GIG posted:

IIRC wasn't the reason none of his projects were being released was because they kept pulling him and his team off to do other poo poo way too often?

I know at one point he saw les mis and was dead set on transforming ffxv into a musical

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

ngl I would play the poo poo out of a Final Fantasy musical.

But not if Nomura made it.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

You mean you guys DON'T read all the dialog in FFVI as if it were being performed in an opera?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Schwartzcough posted:

You mean you guys DON'T read all the dialog in FFVI as if it were being performed in an opera?

There are people who don't??

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Wait was somebody saying people in this thread don't dislike FF:Tactics? Because I do not like that game at all and it's probably my least favorite thing to carry the FF branding and I'm including the absolutely poo poo phone titles SE has put out.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

seiferguy posted:

As a regular reader of this thread, general goon opinion seems to be:

1: ok, boring dungeon crawler, mainly liked because it started the whole "final fantasy" thing.
2: bad, level up system makes the game unplayable
3: bad: started the job system which is good, but poorly implemented and unnecessarily hard in some places
4: good, albeit dated, still playable to this day
5: very good, gave us a great job system and fiesta, and Gilgamesh and Butz
6: fantastic
7: great, although most people realize "best game ever" is a bit overhyped
8: mediocre, junction system sucks, but there's fun things going for it
9: great, goes back to basics, most complaints are levied over how slow the game is which the PC version fixes
10: great, except for the laughing scene
10-2: good, job system is fun but some people can't get into for some reason
11: is an MMO, and by MMO standards would not be fun at all today
12: okay, depends on how you feel about gambits
13: okay, everyone that's played it has something they don't like about it
14: for MMO players one of the best mainstream MMOs to play today (pretend 1.0 doesn't exist)
15: good, not the best of the series, but despite its flaws you should be able to enjoy it
Mystic quest: clearly the best

This all checks out in my experience as well. But I'd add, since you included X-2
XIII-2: Gameplay is held to be inferior to XIII due to being too easy but everyone seems to agree Time Cop Snow Ending is perfect.
LR: Mystifyingly popular. I guess people really liked the battle system.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Final Fantasy Dimensions: Do you need an inferior in nearly every way FFV spiritual sequel? Of course you do.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Is there a single ff that most people itt like

Dragon Quest 8.

But actually 5, 6, 7, 9.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Dragon Quest 8.

Why would you lie to people so cruelly?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Also to add to the list:

XII RW: most people probably don't even know this was exists

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

I never really hear anything bad about tactics but I've only ever played the first few hours

It can get hard I guess if you don't understand the job system, I know people have trouble with some of the fights for whatever reason. But those aren't really the game being bad so hmmmm

Oh wait the whole permadeath thing is poo poo, that's def a bad thing about it

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Final Fantasy Tactics is bullshit, they expect me to fight all those enemies on the first real map with only Ramza and Delita??

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
I liked crystal chronicles and tactics.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Barudak posted:

Why would you lie to people so cruelly?

It's the best Dragon quest.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

ROFL Octopus posted:

I know at one point he saw les mis and was dead set on transforming ffxv into a musical

He should have.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
My guess is that Ignis has a terrible singing voice and is embarassed by it, and Gladio is the best at drunken karaoke and secretly loves belting out Kylie Minogue. Prompto listens almost exclusively to anime.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Prompto thinks he has a great voice and keeps singing Journey and Queen. Never realizes he can't hit those notes.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Semi-related to this page of discussion I started playing 9 for the first time like 2 years ago after I grabbed a copy off amazon and got to the end of disc 1 before stopping, but picked it back up again yesterday.

Still only like halfway through disc 2 but if it keeps being as cool & good & fun as it has been, it might be my favorite?? I kinda feel robbed having never played it when I was younger because I had a friend who rented it and told me he hated it because the opening hours were so slow but his favorite one is 8 so I should have known his opinion was never worth listening to

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

ROFL Octopus posted:

No he wasn't. He did joke about it, but it was clear it a was a joke. For all intents and purposes though working for Nomura was very much the case of working for a weird person. I do recall that... don't know if it was Tabata, but someone mentioned that at like, 2 AM, Nomura would be out all night getting smashed, people would be exhausted or asleep and Nomura would call and be like, "No dude get in here I have a totally sick idea, you gotta see this." And then would basically just scrawl it all out on a whiteboard.

In short Nomura was often smashed off his rear end when he came up with a lot of stuff for his games.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
Worth noting that Hiroaki Sakaguchi is doing a ff6 livestream right now. It isn't translated though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7jpiuIoqXE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

lobster22221 posted:

Worth noting that Hiroaki Sakaguchi is doing a ff6 livestream right now. It isn't translated though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7jpiuIoqXE

Wake me when he does 9.

save us sakaguchi