Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Onmi posted:

No he wasn't. He did joke about it, but it was clear it a was a joke. For all intents and purposes though working for Nomura was very much the case of working for a weird person. I do recall that... don't know if it was Tabata, but someone mentioned that at like, 2 AM, Nomura would be out all night getting smashed, people would be exhausted or asleep and Nomura would call and be like, "No dude get in here I have a totally sick idea, you gotta see this." And then would basically just scrawl it all out on a whiteboard.

In short Nomura was often smashed off his rear end when he came up with a lot of stuff for his games.

That's extremely disappointing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

That's extremely disappointing.

Yeah turns out most "Developers be CRAZY" stories are usually things taken extremely out of context, typically because it's read in text form and not viewed. It's very clear when watching the actual interview, from the fact they're laughing about it like "Hey man remember that time I saw Les Mis and couldn't get it out of my head, Ha HA" and less "Okay let's scrap all our work and make it like Les Mis."

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

lobster22221 posted:

I liked crystal chronicles and tactics.

My dude! :hfive:

Will never forget when I was 15 and myself +3 bros went through that game start to finish together over the course of a summer when we should've been studying :allears:

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Onmi posted:

Yeah turns out most "Developers be CRAZY" stories are usually things taken extremely out of context, typically because it's read in text form and not viewed. It's very clear when watching the actual interview, from the fact they're laughing about it like "Hey man remember that time I saw Les Mis and couldn't get it out of my head, Ha HA" and less "Okay let's scrap all our work and make it like Les Mis."

Well, its more interesting than "So I spent 2 days figuring out why the game is crashing, it ends up I was forgot to initiate a pointer. I fixed it by changing one line of code" Gamedev is work done by people like anything else, and you get stories just like anywhere else.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The best FF dev story is still the guy who made Ultima suck in FF2 because 'it was an old spell and newer stuff would be more powerful' and when Sakaguchi told him to change it refused and altered the code so that no one else knew how to.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Mega64 posted:

save us sakaguchi

Hope you like phone games!

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

The best FF dev story is still the guy who made Ultima suck in FF2 because 'it was an old spell and newer stuff would be more powerful' and when Sakaguchi told him to change it refused and altered the code so that no one else knew how to.

This is funny and actually pretty common with technically skilled people who get into a position because they are really good at certain things and it covers the fact that for example they are poo poo with people

Especially when people making the decisions do not technically understand how to do it and there's a disagreement and they just ignore orders

Legin Noslen
Sep 9, 2004
Fortified with Rhiboflavin

Sakurazuka posted:

No it isn't. Sakaguchi should of cut his head off with a samurai sword.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

i thought ultima sucking was accidental and 'it's old and busted' was just an excuse to play it off after people noticed

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

TriffTshngo posted:

Semi-related to this page of discussion I started playing 9 for the first time like 2 years ago after I grabbed a copy off amazon and got to the end of disc 1 before stopping, but picked it back up again yesterday.

Still only like halfway through disc 2 but if it keeps being as cool & good & fun as it has been, it might be my favorite?? I kinda feel robbed having never played it when I was younger because I had a friend who rented it and told me he hated it because the opening hours were so slow but his favorite one is 8 so I should have known his opinion was never worth listening to

I can understand not liking FF9 (actually I can't but w/e) but 'slow' is not how I would describe it's opening act.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
My only gripe with FF9 is that you can't make up a party you want to roll with until disc 3. Otherwise yeah it's pretty fantastic and fun and both the main and supporting cast are great.

E: And Tetra Master sucks and is confusing, at least compared to Triple Triad.

DeadButDelicious fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Mar 1, 2018

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I remember there being a steam version of ff9 at some point, was that a good port or no. I own most of the other ff's but not that one but I don't really wanna buy a mobile port if that's what it is

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

mandatory lesbian posted:

I remember there being a steam version of ff9 at some point, was that a good port or no. I own most of the other ff's but not that one but I don't really wanna buy a mobile port if that's what it is

There are better descriptions in the past few pages but I think it's the best they could have done. I didn't program it so I dunno if they could've managed higher frame rates without a total rewrite and, yes, battle transitions are tedious after a while, but it's totally solid. The character models are generally higher res but the backgrounds are the same res blown up. Some speed and level cheats if you just wanna burn through the story.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

9 had a really weird ending imo, the last boss is just a random something pulled from nowhere because they needed a last boss. And overall I kind of remember the tone and ending being kind of nihilisic. But might just be on me not being into downer endings - pretty much why I’m not getting XV even though the gameplay looks fun.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Avalerion posted:

9 had a really weird ending imo, the last boss is just a random something pulled from nowhere because they needed a last boss. And overall I kind of remember the tone and ending being kind of nihilisic. But might just be on me not being into downer endings - pretty much why I’m not getting XV even though the gameplay looks fun.

It makes more sense on a replay. Kuja succeeds in blowing up the Crystal and ending the world, but you beat the poo poo out of the Grim Reaper when he comes to collect, reversing the damage and letting life go on as normal. It’s actually a very optimistic ending, give or take Vivi’s death.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

ff9's ending is the opposit of nihilistic. in the end, everyone realises that life is worth living and you gotta make the best out of it while you can. not the most creative, sure, but fitting for the game and far from a downer.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Avalerion posted:

The out of nowhere boss was very much intentional as an homage to early FF "true enemy" late game reveals.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Brother Entropy posted:

i thought ultima sucking was accidental and 'it's old and busted' was just an excuse to play it off after people noticed

It's both. In this case I'm not joking, I honestly think it was a case of the dev screwing up and later covering his own rear end about it.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

lobster22221 posted:

Worth noting that Hiroaki Sakaguchi is doing a ff6 livestream right now. It isn't translated though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7jpiuIoqXE

If Sakaguchi likes FF6 so much, why didn't he buy it back then?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

mandatory lesbian posted:

It can get hard I guess if you don't understand the job system, I know people have trouble with some of the fights for whatever reason. But those aren't really the game being bad so hmmmm

Oh wait the whole permadeath thing is poo poo, that's def a bad thing about it

I'm playing through it again right now and while it's my personal favorite game of all time, I totally understand all the problems people have with it. Even in the WotL version with all the little enhancements, the UI has a lot of layers and can get confusing and there are useful improvements they don't tell you about at all.

Also the difficulty curve is probably the biggest complaint and while I agree, I like hard games and don't mind the grinding, especially since I know how to grind efficiently (make everyone the same class and give them all JP Boost).

There are a few boss fights that are full-on bullshit if you're not expecting them and/or don't know how to deal with them. The Argath fight for example. rear end in a top hat has auto-potion so you have to bring a couple decked out mages and literally bum rush him with spells while ignoring everyone else. That's not intuitive at all.

Then there's the first Wiegraf fight where he has a lot of hp, has ranged sword attacks, and has a high chance of blocking melee attacks. Plus he has monks that can gently caress you up pretty hard.

Currently I'm on the Gaffgarion fight where he pretends to execute a fake Ovelia to lure Ramza into a trap. It's the hardest fight so far because you can't just bum rush Gaffgarion to win. You have to kill everyone and you start outnumbered and in a bad position. Worst part is that you are cut off from shops that sell everything so if you sell off a bunch of stuff (which is common because money is rough early on) before you get there and don't have an old save, you have to make due with your current gear.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Brother Entropy posted:

It was but it also makes perfect sense for the overall atmosphere of the game which is why I love that story. The dev was right, accidentally or not.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

it's a funny anecdote about a game i'll never play so I'm glad of it

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Brother Entropy posted:

It's even funnier because you go through a real hard dungeon, and a major character dies in the process of getting it.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

I'm playing through it again right now and while it's my personal favorite game of all time, I totally understand all the problems people have with it. Even in the WotL version with all the little enhancements, the UI has a lot of layers and can get confusing and there are useful improvements they don't tell you about at all.

Also the difficulty curve is probably the biggest complaint and while I agree, I like hard games and don't mind the grinding, especially since I know how to grind efficiently (make everyone the same class and give them all JP Boost).

I was a little more flippant then I should have been, the game has hard fights. The only fights I'd say are really bad tho are ones like you mentioned, where you're cut off from grinding or upgrading equipment.

Brother Entropy posted:

FF2 GBA is really good imo, like it's really easy but I always have fun doing different builds for characters. One time I did a solo Maria run and I loved it

Just don't do the post-game chapter, it was kinda lame

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
On the other hand they can flip it around and say this old rear end spell is super powerful because they just don't make them like they used to

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2018/03/01/final-fantasy-xv-director-asks-if-fans-want-a-happy-or-sad-ending

lol they're going to milk this game forever. fair enough

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

The ending is fine. gently caress the whole culture that uses entertainment media as "turn your brain off" escapism and can't handle anything other than a "happily ever after" ending.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

oh gosh, do you think you would like a happy ending? please tell us what kind of ending you would like? we don't really have a vision for our product and we forgot how to develop games years ago.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Of all the things that need work in that game the ending isn't one of them

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

We already have happy and sad endings, bring on the gag endings

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

ROFL Octopus posted:

We already have happy and sad endings, bring on the gag endings

A dog ending could actually work in the lore.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Noctis wakes up in a hospital bed. He nearly died from heat exhaustion from pushing his piece of poo poo clunker through a desert. The rest of the game was a coma dream.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Good ending is the car didn't break down so they got married in time, the end

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Vote for me and I'll make dog endings in games mandatory. Cat endings will be optional but subsidized.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
cool now make an xv where luna isn't a useless demure waifu and kicks rear end with the rest of the squad

or idk have aranea actually join your squad

and have stella be a major antagonist

you know, like the original plan

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Jared doesn't die

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Sapozhnik posted:

cool now make an xv where luna isn't a useless demure waifu and kicks rear end with the rest of the squad

or idk have aranea actually join your squad

and have stella be a major antagonist

you know, like the original plan

Maybe if Nomura had made a game in the ten years he was in charge, those things would have happened.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Big rear end Squeenix sale on Steam. Pick you up some Final Fantasy if you're trying to kill the time until 15 drops like I am. I just nabbed World of Final Fantasy, since I've heard good things and it's the only FF I didn't yet own on Steam.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

man nurse posted:

Big rear end Squeenix sale on Steam. Pick you up some Final Fantasy if you're trying to kill the time until 15 drops like I am. I just nabbed World of Final Fantasy, since I've heard good things and it's the only FF I didn't yet own on Steam.

The good things you heard about World of Final Fantasy are accurate, just power through the opening acts because Tama's speech quirk and the overall tone can be get unbearably cloying but it tapers off pretty fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

man nurse posted:

Thanks for the heads up.

I bought Final Fantasy VII, apparently it's supposed to be an okay game. Not sure if it's worth :5bux: though, it looks kinda outdated