Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Poil posted:

Yeah, I get why Sebas wants to keep the girl protected from the monsters of Nazarick so he doesn't want to report it, but why make up such bad lies and act so pointlessly suspicious about it? Isn't he smart enough to figure out something better? Why is Solution so hyper paranoid and goes yelling about treason the first thing? It feels like it's just to force in some drama for no reason to me.
This is taking place after the betrayal of Shalltear, so everyone in Nazarick are super on edge, which is why, when Sebas starts saving someone that isn't part of Nazarick, she suspects something is up. Adding to that Sebas hesitation to report to Ainz, makes it seem from her point of view that Sebas might have fallen under mind control, since they are not supposed to care about humans in the slightest.

As for why Sebas lies so badly, it's because he's not supposed to be a good liar. His programming demands he maintains his honor and speak as truthfully as possible. Which is why he doesn't ever outright lie, he just does not elaborate on why he does things.

Poil posted:

Why are the princess and the blue adventuresses so surprised and kinda calm about there possibly being someone in the castle spying on them (actually 100% true, but I suspect there would be more than just one)? Isn't that a huge freaking deal considering who they are up against? The kept repeating how the note was bait and a trap and seemed to plan to go anyway? Maybe I misunderstood it.
I don't think they were calm about it, but think about what alternatives they have to react. Shout out and scream? This isn't their first rodeo or first dealing with spies.

The idea might be that they are going to investigate the trap itself, not investigate the areas without being prepared.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The evil aligned Pleiades are assholes and their persistent habit of creatively interpreting orders or doing dumb things to scratch their particular itches will be an ongoing problem.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Feb 21, 2018

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Mordaedil posted:

This is taking place after the betrayal of Shalltear, so everyone in Nazarick are super on edge, which is why, when Sebas starts saving someone that isn't part of Nazarick, she suspects something is up. Adding to that Sebas hesitation to report to Ainz, makes it seem from her point of view that Sebas might have fallen under mind control, since they are not supposed to care about humans in the slightest.

As for why Sebas lies so badly, it's because he's not supposed to be a good liar. His programming demands he maintains his honor and speak as truthfully as possible. Which is why he doesn't ever outright lie, he just does not elaborate on why he does things.

I don't think they were calm about it, but think about what alternatives they have to react. Shout out and scream? This isn't their first rodeo or first dealing with spies.

The idea might be that they are going to investigate the trap itself, not investigate the areas without being prepared.
Ah thanks, this helps a lot. :)

I wasn't expecting them to scream in panic but to show a bit more concern.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Poil posted:

I wasn't expecting them to scream in panic but to show a bit more concern.

Lakyus is supposed to be one of the most powerful adventurers in the world, so the prospect of a trap is of less concern for her than most.

We'll get to what Renner's deal is eventually.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Mordaedil posted:

Also Solution strongly dislikes Sebas due to her being a nightmarishly evil sadist who enjoys devouring people alive and him being an upstanding noble guy, so she's going to assume the worst about anything he does and her reporting him for being a traitor might get her into a position where she can indulge herself more openly without Sebas restraining her desire to be a monster.

Basically this:

Fabricated posted:

The evil aligned Pleiades are assholes and their persistent habit of creatively interpreting orders or doing dumb things to scratch their particular itches will be an ongoing problem.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I feel that being the skeleton would be upsetting

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Namtab posted:

I feel that being the skeleton would be upsetting

he can't get upset about being a skeleton, which is boring

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Ainz being kind of a putz, does not think very hard about which minions he tasks to stuff, particularly the Pleiades. Basically outside of Nerebal whom he is there to restrain personally he is making the absolute worst picks from them for the people he has interacting with the New World NPCs. Solution and LupisRegina are probably the absolute worst choices for the tasks he has put them to.

His guild of obsessive RP nerds programmed insanely detailed backstories and personalities into every NPC in Nazarick that weren't originally part of it as a raid dungeon (i.e. Gargantua while being a floor guardian, started out as one of the 40-man raid bosses that guarded the Tomb as a dungeon- he was given to the guild by the developers as an apology for a world-class item not doing what it was supposed to do). There's several lower-level non-Pleiades maids that are highly good-aligned that are still like in the 10-20's level ranges that'd be perfectly suited for dealing with the New World NPCs without constantly having to restrain their desire to skin them alive or devour them.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
solution really looks the part of a rich young noblewoman, though.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Poil posted:

To me the appeal of this power fantasy is when Ainz fights some jerkass who thinks they are total hotshit and powerful but gets effortlessly cluwned into the ground just after realizing how utterly hosed they are.

The best parts of the show are and will always be when Ainz or one of his henchman has to put on a display of power for some reason.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I always like the fact that Ainz is/would be in a state of constant fear over his subordinates NPC-grade loyalty. They are like religious zealots, and will freely misinterpret and read too far into everything he says or does.

So Ainz has to start roleplaying like mad, because zealots like those in Nazarick know him only through the rp-persona, and he has no idea how they will act if they figure out the truth.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Does Albedo eventually go crazy differentiating her love for Momonga rather than Ains? Her small rewrite seems like with his name change it could cause long term problems.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kortel posted:

Does Albedo eventually go crazy differentiating her love for Momonga rather than Ains? Her small rewrite seems like with his name change it could cause long term problems.

He is still Momonga. He just asked them all to call him Ainz.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Kortel posted:

It creates a conflict for her, although I stopped reading before the idea got expanded on beyond a single scene.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Kortel posted:

Albedo understands why Ainz/Momonga changed his name but she's annoyed about it.

I don't think it gets mentioned this season but Albedo's profile change sets up something potentially huge.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Fabricated posted:

I don't think it gets mentioned this season but Albedo's profile change sets up something potentially huge.
And what would that be?

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
I'm curious too, I'm using the excuse that I'm far too busy to sit down and read through the LNs. Also I hear they're kind of... 'extra', in their depictions of some events. Something about "splat, splat, splat, splat".

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006

Grouchio posted:

And what would that be?

Shes madly devoted to the God that stayed, the Gods that left are unworthy...

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Grouchio posted:

And what would that be?

My wein

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Grouchio posted:

And what would that be?
Ainz has a lot going on but one of the thing he starts wanting to do is actively searching for any of his guild members in case they ended up in the New World. Albedo asks to form a squad to help search for them on the DL and requests Rubedo who was an "experimental" NPC who is written by the guild to be Albedo's younger sister. Rubedo is somehow phenomenally powerful even compared to the guardians- being on par with a full raid boss and being so strong in her full gear that even Touch Me couldn't solo her (Touch Me was King Shitwrecker in PVP, having a special class and gear from being declared the best PVPer on their server in a tournament) but she's unstable/unreliable. Ainz refuses but Albedo comes up with a cute excuse that she wants to make a team of the strongest beings in Nazarick which amuses stupid Ainz enough for him to let her.

She's planning on killing any of his guildmates if she finds them first because she's bitter they left, wants Ainz to herself, and dislikes that he shed his name to rep the guild.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Best right hand.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Ainz finding out that Albedo straight up killed one of his guildmates would be some proper dramatic storytelling, and it seems like it would be a fitting end to her character's arc. You could get added guilt out of it on his side because he could start to wonder if it was because he messed with her code/personality settings to make her fall in love with him, and her actions were from her love of him creating hatred for the others who left, not wanting to share him with others, etc.

Basically it would be an interesting challenge to a character who has been set up as too powerful for typical challenges to be a problem, so I'll be sad when it probably never happens.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Sebas is totally awesome, why isn't the show about him? Is he a monk by the way?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Poil posted:

Sebas is totally awesome, why isn't the show about him? Is he a monk by the way?

everyone has multiple classes, but yeah.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Poil posted:

Nay, he is but a chivalrious humanoid dedicated to serving his master while helping those in need.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Poil posted:

Sebas really is a fun character. I'd love to see more Demiurge though.

TenWren
Jan 22, 2012

Sebas is so much fun to watch. Can the rest of the season just be him doing cool poo poo?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Poil posted:

He's basically a super martial-artist. He's got class levels in Monk, a couple of other martial-art classes, and several levels in Inner/Outer Ki Mastery so he has all sorts of special Qi Gong abilities that he can heal/manipulate/kill with. He's also one of the few heavily good-aligned NPCs in Nazarick and the only good-aligned floor guardian. The only other notable good-aligned Nazarick NPCs so far shown in the anime are Yuri Alpha and CZ.

His race levels aren't listed but it's suspected he's dragonkin.

Aura and Mare are neutral leaning a bit towards evil, and Cocytus is actually more neutral than them. Pandora's Actor is Neutral, Victim is Neutral, and naturally Albedo, Demiurge, and Shalltear are all evil as gently caress. Gargantua is technically a mindless robot being a converted raid boss and doesn't really count.

Most of the rest of the Nazarick NPCs are neutral or evil, with the exception of a handful of NPCs- notably the non-Pleiades maids.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
If I understood it correctly, at one point Evileye was supposed to be the main character. There was no Nazarick or floor guardians, but Evileye was important. I don't really have much else to say about that.

Sebas is indeed awesome and I was looking forward to this arc animated mainly because of this and the next few episodes.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Fabricated posted:

Albedo understands why Ainz/Momonga changed his name but she's annoyed about it.

she does occasionally call him Momonga to his face when she's particularly excited about something, it's real rare though

and yeah the key thing to understand about the NPCs is that they all have severe abandonment issues, which is why they're so fanatically loyal and terrified of disappointing Ainz because then he might leave like everyone else. and Ainz is terrified of disappointing them because of vice-versa

it's sweet except they're almost all insanely evil

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Sebas really is a fun character. I'd love to see more Demiurge though.

Demiurge is next arc.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Lakyus appears to have a bit of 8th grade syndrome with her sword. :allears:

MonsterEnvy posted:

Demiurge is next arc.
Herding sheep?

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Another thing you need to realize is Ainz has 99 Luck, the way he bumbles through things and his NPC pass it off as "He's so smart" etc. People said Albedo can see through it, but I dunno.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Ainz isn't a moron bumbling his way through things, he actually is really smart. He's just extremely naive and way out of his depth because he went from "nerdlinger expert PKer in an mmo who also did guild administration things" to "exalted god-emperor of an impossibly powerful army of end bosses". Most of the smart stuff Nazarick is doing is due to his plans and ideas, and most of the bad or unexpected poo poo that goes down is due to things he couldn't possibly have known or his minions interpreting his instructions creatively. Shalltear wouldn't have gotten mind controlled if she hadn't gone on her little bloodlust rampage, for example.

His minions worshipping him is due to the fact that he's the god who didn't leave them behind so they tend to see his actions and plans in the best possible light, but basically all of his plans are honestly good ones anyway.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Kanos posted:

Ainz isn't a moron bumbling his way through things, he actually is really smart. He's just extremely naive and way out of his depth because he went from "nerdlinger expert PKer in an mmo who also did guild administration things" to "exalted god-emperor of an impossibly powerful army of end bosses". Most of the smart stuff Nazarick is doing is due to his plans and ideas, and most of the bad or unexpected poo poo that goes down is due to things he couldn't possibly have known or his minions interpreting his instructions creatively. Shalltear wouldn't have gotten mind controlled if she hadn't gone on her little bloodlust rampage, for example.

His minions worshipping him is due to the fact that he's the god who didn't leave them behind so they tend to see his actions and plans in the best possible light, but basically all of his plans are honestly good ones anyway.

Technically there are 3 other active players from the guild, but none of them were logged on at midnight.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Ainz plans are mostly very very carefully investigating the new world and securing funds for Nazarick since he's worried about NPC revival costs and that some of the tomb's defenses require yggdrasil gold to use.

Demiurge is convinced that Ainz wants to take over the whole world (literally from his throwaway line about world domination seeming like fun) so he has this gigantic circuitous plan he's spinning up that he assumes Ainz knows and has further plans beyond because he thinks Ainz is basically Galaxy Brain levels of smart.

Ainz has no idea what the big plan is and not wanting to seem stupid he just plays along while frantically trying to figure it out and bully/bluff his way through his parts in it.

Everyone in the new world and Nazarick thinks Ainz is playing 10th dimensional chess, while Ainz is just trying to find his guildmates, secure funds to defend the tomb if need be, and carefully suss out the new world.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Mar 1, 2018

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Evil Misunderstanding - The Anime

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
ainz is terrible at reading people. he can make excellent plans and think on his feet, but ainz is hopeless when it comes to understanding and manipulating people.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Ainz is a good short term thinker. He can make excellent plans in the short term. But he is awful at long term planning. He is also bad at reading people and sensing their intentions, and is pretty dense when it comes to word games.

He is also not a great administrator. He has no idea about logistics, taxes and other needed information on how to run a country. One of the few times he admits to his minions that he is not as great they think he is. Is when he has to go through the paperwork and preparation to run a city and just says to Albedo that he has no idea what he is doing, and to ask her to do it instead as she is better at stuff like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Fabricated posted:

Demiurge is convinced that Ainz wants to take over the whole world (literally from his throwaway line about world domination seeming like fun) so he has this gigantic circuitous plan he's spinning up that he assumes Ainz knows and has further plans beyond because he thinks Ainz is basically Galaxy Brain levels of smart.
Demiurge is the only Nazaric NPC who's smart enough to intentionally/unintentionally slip stuff by Ainz (and explain the 'lesson' Ainz wanted to 'teach' to Cocytus) and thus is probably capable of figuring out that Ainz isn't as smart as everyone thinks.

Except Demiurge thinks Ainz is smarter than him and Ainz IS smart enough not to disabuse him of that notion.