Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

BrianWilly posted:

Does that make any sense? The closest comparison I might make is the common complaint people have against Geoff Johns where he'll have characters bemoan how dark the world has gotten and how they have to make it bright again but like, Johns the writer was part of the reason that the world had gotten so dark in the first place.

I'm not so sure that comparison really holds up. The problem with Johns is that he'll write those violent, dark books where Bart gets blasted in the knee by Deathstroke, Black Adam rips a dude in half, and so on, and then go on in Infinite Crisis and DC Rebirth to complain about how grim and dark the DCU has gotten.

As far as I can tell with your complaint for Tynion, Tynion wrote character flaws into his writing of Batman that then gets called out by the characters in the story?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

BrianWilly posted:

e: The part that's making me wary is that...yeah, Babs and Jason lay down some sic burnz about Bruce's methods and I guess us readers are supposed to be like "Yeah you go girls, you tell that loser!" because it's such insightfully scathing commentary into Batman's ongoing flaws and issues...but like...Tynion is the one who has been writing Bruce that way in the first place. Tynion is the one who has engineered this whole ongoing problem with the Belfry team and no one forced him to have to do that, he could have easily created a functional situation for Bruce and Kate instead. And, yeah, that wouldn't create the drama and tension that he wants for this arc, but in either case, I just feel a bit weird rooting for Babs and Jason's trash talk here when it pretty much boils down to the author trash-talking the overall arc of his own series.

I definitely get what you mean about it seeming weird, like it was Tynion basically fridge logic-ing his own arc. But I think I still much prefer that over it being played straight and nobody acknowledges anything.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Madkal posted:

I am trying to think of which characters would best benefit from a "Marvel Max" treatment and the only one I can come up with is Wild Dog.

Jason Todd of course.

And yeah, I am being serious.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Jason Todd of course.

And yeah, I am being serious.

Actually, yeah, that could work. Without the need to make him fit with the rest of the Batfamily, they could do something decent.

I like the idea of putting him into a neo-western take on Yojimbo/Fistful of Dollars/Django. Start with him barely escaping from Batman, wind up in a town split by two rival gangs, deal with that, and end with him riding off into the sunset because Batman is for sure still on his trail.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
Vertigo did it with Unknown Soldier.

Basically all of Vertigo's stuff that had DC characters.

But you had some stuff in DC, like Azzarello's Lex Luthor: Man of Steel. The not-quite prime continuity stuff with some mature subject matter. Or at least art. Max didn't really stick to maturity.

nofather fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Mar 1, 2018

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
If DC wants a mature comics line and they aren't at least talking to Garth Ennis about writing John Constantine again, they are dumb, very very dumb.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Roth posted:

I'm not so sure that comparison really holds up. The problem with Johns is that he'll write those violent, dark books where Bart gets blasted in the knee by Deathstroke, Black Adam rips a dude in half, and so on, and then go on in Infinite Crisis and DC Rebirth to complain about how grim and dark the DCU has gotten.

As far as I can tell with your complaint for Tynion, Tynion wrote character flaws into his writing of Batman that then gets called out by the characters in the story?
To me, the whole thing with these characters calling Batman out feels less like addressing Batman's character flaws as much as it feels like a writer complaining about what he thinks Batman is, forty-one issues into his run of this Batman book that has done basically nothing to actually address the things that he's complaining about.

It's hard to explain. As bluntly as I can put it, it's starting to feel to me like Tynion really doesn't like Batman. The dunking that Barbara and Jason lay on him here is the sort of dunking that comes from people who have huge issues with Batman's whole character, or that might feel cathartic to readers who have those huge issues with Batman. And lest we forget, this isn't even the first or second time it's happened in this series; there have been entire arcs dedicated to multiple characters just ragging on Batman for doing things like Batman.

Which isn't to say that the ragging isn't valid! I too have a lot of issues with the sort of angsty self-sabotaging Batjerk that pervades a lot of DC canon. But...Tynion isn't me, a reader. Tynion is the writer. The only reason that Batman is angsty or self-sabotaging or jerkish here is because that is what Tynion typed into his script. And when Tynion's writing it here, it doesn't feel like he's trying to address these issues to make it better -- again, he's had forty issues to do so -- as much as it feels like he's just dressing Batman down as a matter of course.

I should make it clear: Detective Comics has been the one book I've most consistently enjoyed and looked forward to reading throughout the entirety of Rebirth, and a lot of that has been due to just how flatteringly a lot of characters have been written in it. In this issue's case, that would be Babs and the Robins. But I'm starting to realize that I've been enjoying this book in spite of how it treats Batman himself. Now, it's not nearly as bad as Joss Whedon writing the Punisher, but it's starting to venture within that ballpark.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

BrianWilly posted:

To me, the whole thing with these characters calling Batman out feels less like addressing Batman's character flaws as much as it feels like a writer complaining about what he thinks Batman is, forty-one issues into his run of this Batman book that has done basically nothing to actually address the things that he's complaining about.

It's hard to explain. As bluntly as I can put it, it's starting to feel to me like Tynion really doesn't like Batman. The dunking that Barbara and Jason lay on him here is the sort of dunking that comes from people who have huge issues with Batman's whole character, or that might feel cathartic to readers who have those huge issues with Batman. And lest we forget, this isn't even the first or second time it's happened in this series; there have been entire arcs dedicated to multiple characters just ragging on Batman for doing things like Batman.

Yesssss.

We've had writers doing Batman that didn't like him before, or grew not to like him and exemplified his bad aspects. And that's more than fair, there's plenty to write about, and you can't have depth without it. But sometimes you get good stories out of it, sometimes you just get trash. I read an interview a long time ago, I think it was from an editor, but they were pointing out that this was going on in the 90s before No Man's Land, and how writers on it was 'racing for the bottom' just to see how low they could drag things. It's just disappointing. Especially since there were other things in the Detective Comics that could have been good, if it didn't all come back to this kind of ragging, or was even framed in another comic (again, practically no detective work in this comic).

nofather fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Mar 1, 2018

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Tynion's run on Detective isn't really about Batman, it's about the Knights. Batman is just a supporting character. Which I like, honestly. It's basically a Batfamily team book, and that's cool.

I don't think he's ragging on Batman. It's a bit unfair to read Jason and Barbara's points as "the author's true opinion!" while just ignoring Dick and Tim, who have equally well-developed dialogue on the subject and basically agree with Bruce to varying degrees. I thought it was on the whole pretty nuanced.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Tim and Dick both get about a page each that focuses on their position. Jason doesn't get much, but Barbara gets five whole pages of panel-time, side by side by side, that highlights her position in vivid verbose essay format. It's the speech that punctuates the issue and, indeed, the one that we leave off the "trial" at.

The trial was nuanced, but it was clear who this story was siding with, who we were meant to think had the argument that kicked everyone else's argument's asses...and it was the one that included (yet another) scathing takedown of Batman.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

DC Blacklist needs to have atleast one mature themed title thats just loving. No violence, no faces getting torn off or Joker skinning a dude. Just established DC characters loving.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The comic backing off of it's point wouldn't have made it a better issue. The turn of focus from Batwoman (including title and cover art) to Batman was the entire point of it. No need to break that structure for Bruce to defend himself. There's a whole arc left to do that.

edit: And having not read Batgirl in about a year, it was great having her take up the bulk of the argument.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

DC Blacklist needs to have atleast one mature themed title thats just loving. No violence, no faces getting torn off or Joker skinning a dude. Just established DC characters loving.

Batman/Catwoman: Honeymoon

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Mar 1, 2018

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Also I loved the segment where Batwoman is realising that, in killing Clayface, she did to Cass what the terrorists who killed her mother did to her. It could easily be a trite moment, but instead it's this poignant realisation that her actions had consequences beyond the immediate cessation of a threat, and that in attempting to protect Cass, she might have inflicted yet another lifelong trauma on her.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Sinners Sandwich posted:

That's called tumblr

Ugenesis
May 1, 2003

catlord posted:

Actually, yeah, that could work. Without the need to make him fit with the rest of the Batfamily, they could do something decent.

I like the idea of putting him into a neo-western take on Yojimbo/Fistful of Dollars/Django. Start with him barely escaping from Batman, wind up in a town split by two rival gangs, deal with that, and end with him riding off into the sunset because Batman is for sure still on his trail.

The man in black Red Hood fled across the desert, and the gunslinger Batman followed.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sinners Sandwich posted:

During New Krypton there was an issue that revolved around two Kryptonian fugitives just fuckin.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Android Blues posted:

I don't think he's ragging on Batman. It's a bit unfair to read Jason and Barbara's points as "the author's true opinion!" while just ignoring Dick and Tim, who have equally well-developed dialogue on the subject and basically agree with Bruce to varying degrees. I thought it was on the whole pretty nuanced.

I don't know, man, once you have an issue revolving around people from other comics who've barely made appearances in this one show up to lecture someone who's supposed to be a side character you're probably getting some insight. I mean, there's a reason why people are talking about Red Hood and Batgirl's arguments. It's because the other arguments are weak as gently caress and they're supposedly coming from educated people. Damian is humiliated throughout the issue and his entire argument is "No one should be wearing the Bat-symbol" without any backup. Nightwing's just an appeal to emotion that Batgirl rolls her eyes at, and Tim Drake is dismissed as an idealistic teenager, from loving Barbara Gordon of all people.

And this isn't even the sole example of it happening. Arc after arc, from the beginning. R'as al Ghul, Lady Shiva, Batwoman's father, First Victim. All of them, 'Batman you're wrong.' And the stories back that up.

That's the other thing. If this comic is supposed to be about the Knights, they get very little screentime. It seems to mostly focus on Batman, Spoiler, and Batwoman and their ideological differences.

And how has no one in the comic pointed out the terrible truth of, 'Batman, they're literally taking your name and symbol and training and everything you've stood for and using it for a government-mandated hit squad.'

nofather fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Mar 1, 2018

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Gaiman is coming back to Sandman

quote:

But in honor of the series’ 30th anniversary this year, Gaiman is coming back to the Dreaming in a big way. EW can exclusively announce that DC Comics is launching a Sandman Universe line of four new comic series. The books will be overseen by Gaiman but written and drawn by brand new creative teams. They will pick up story threads and themes from The Sandman while also adding new characters and concepts.

The project kicks off this August with The Sandman Universe one-shot special, which will catch readers up on what’s been happening in Dream’s realm. The most salient fact is that Dream has now gone missing, leaving chaos in his wake. Other important developments include the opening of a rift between worlds, revealing a space beyond the Dreaming. Dream’s official librarian Lucien is still in charge of all the books that were dreamed and never written, but now, one of those books has wound up in the waking world, to be discovered by a group of children. The Dreaming also has an important new resident, now that a House of Whispers has appeared alongside Cain’s House of Mystery and Abel’s House of Secrets. Meanwhile, Lucifer (the David Bowie-esque devil who originated in the pages of The Sandman before ending up on his own Fox show) has fallen once more, though now he might be in a Hell of his own design. And down in London, a young boy named Timothy Hunter alternates between dreams of becoming the world’s greatest magician and nightmares of becoming its worst villain.

The Sandman Universe #1 will be plotted by Gaiman but written by Nalo Hopkinson, Kat Howard, Si Spurrier, and Dan Watters, with art by Bilquis Everly and a cover by Jae Lee. Each of those four writers will then go on to explore the special’s various threads in four new series. Hopkinson will write House of Whispers and explore how the voodoo deity Erzulie ended up in the Dreaming with her titular house. It might have something to do with a comatose woman named Latoya, whose girlfriend and sisters used the Book of Whispers to try and heal her. Now out of her coma, Latoya is suffering from the Cotard’s Delusion belief that she’s already dead, and is transmitting her belief to others, catalyzing them to become guardians of the gap that has opened in the Dreaming. Howard will write Books of Magic, which will follow up on Gaiman’s 1990 miniseries of the same name and explore Timothy Hunter’s magical education as he’s torn between two powerful destinies. Spurrier will write The Dreaming, which will follow The Sandman supporting characters like Lucien the librarian and Matthew the Raven as they navigate a Dreaming without Dream. Watters will write Lucifer, which finds the titular devil blind and destitute, trapped living in a small boarding house in a quiet town where no one can ever leave. Artists for the books have not been announced yet.

http://ew.com/books/2018/03/01/neil...m_medium=social

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

God Bless him but I did not understand a single page of Overture

Mike Danger
Feb 17, 2012
That whole House of Whispers premise sounds Vertigo as hell

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Didn't one of these mugs say they had a concept for a Zatanna comic floating around?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Lobo MAX

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Just a normal comic but edited so Superman says "gently caress, gently caress, and away"

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Made a post about the Sandman stuff in the Vertigo thread, since they're Vertigo comics.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3789182&pagenumber=6#post481769086

The Overture news got me to read about 30 Sandman issues. Hopefully this will spur me to actually finish it.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I laughed pretty hard at Terrifics' cover gimmick because I forgot that was going to be a thing.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

purple death ray posted:

Just a normal comic but edited so Superman says "gently caress, gently caress, and away"

Superman stands for truth, justice, and loving.

Or...

"Where I come from, this symbol stands for fuckmachine."

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

purple death ray posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYtdl9BrKUc

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I don't read his Supergirl, but this week's issue of JLA has to be the worst thing Orlando's written.
What is happening to this guy?

e: Batman/Shadow was great not too long ago, so Midnighter wasn't a fluke or anything.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Mar 2, 2018

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I like his Supergirl, it's juuust close enough to the TV show to steal of the good elements but different enough to not feel like a total ripoff.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Bendy's new Jinxworld comics.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/brian-michael-bendis-unveils-2-new-series-including-an-alias-reunion-1090082

quote:

Superstar writer Brian Michael Bendis and artist Michael Gaydos are reteaming after their work on Jessica Jones and Alias, the groundbreaking series for Marvel's MAX imprint that introduced the world to the failed superhero-turned-private detective in 2001.

The new series is called Pearl and will be released by Bendis' creator-owned Jinxworld, in partnership with DC Entertainment, where the writer has made his home after years at Marvel and has already unveiled plans to write Superman.

The new project centers on Pearl, a tattoo artist for the Yakuza, who lives in modern day San Francisco and falls in love with a counterpart from a rival faction. The series launches in August, and Bendis says he and his artist are well aware that their reunion will come with high expectations, particularly after Jessica Jones has risen to new levels of popularity following the Netflix series starring Krysten Ritter as the character.

"We knew it had to match what people perceive Jessica to be and that what and we came up with had to be an equally, if not more complex, character in Pearl," Bendis tells Heat Vision of the new series.

quote:

Bendis is also teaming up with acclaimed artist David Mack for another new Jinxworld title, Cover — which is inspired by a true story in which the intelligence community recruits a well known comic book artist as a spy. Bendis describes it as having nods to films like Confessions of a Dangerous Mind and The In-Laws

Mack, known as the creator of Kabuki, previously worked with Bendis on Jessica Jones and Powers and is one of his closest friends in comics.

"Who has a better cover story than comic book artists and writers, who get to travel the world and no one is actually paying attention to what they're doing?" says Bendis. "David and I have had a lot of travels over the last few years and we are going to have a lot of fun examining the world of espionage through the world of Comic-Con."

Cover will launch this fall.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

So Bendis is writing reverse fanfic about Tom King's life now

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
Kabuki had some great art but the story was just there to showcase it and get models for the artist.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

nofather posted:

Kabuki had some great art but the story was just there to showcase it and get models for the artist.

That art was so good though.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I've just finished vol 2 of alan moore's swamp thing. It is an incredible book. Just all around well written and most stories are good. The two things I have disliked so far is the cartoon alien woodland creatures issue and Moore's take on Jason Blood/Etrigan. I'm sure there might be some themes flying over my head, but so far it seems easy to grasp and understand. It is a simplified complex.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mr Hootington posted:

I've just finished vol 2 of alan moore's swamp thing. It is an incredible book. Just all around well written and most stories are good. The two things I have disliked so far is the cartoon alien woodland creatures issue and Moore's take on Jason Blood/Etrigan. I'm sure there might be some themes flying over my head, but so far it seems easy to grasp and understand. It is a simplified complex.

Odd that the two things you hate are two of my favorite things.

The aliens are a reference to Pogo, btw.

Edit: I will say that Alan Moore making it so Etrigan has to talk in rhyme made it a lot harder for any writer who isn't,like, Neil Gaiman, to ever use him. I kinda like Kevin Smith's Green Arrow, but Jesus Christ the dumb poo poo he had coming out of Etrigan's mouth.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Mar 3, 2018

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The rhyming demon thing is a unique touch, but thankfully writers or editorial have allowed Etrigan to not rhyme without causing riots.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

The rhyming demon thing is a unique touch, but thankfully writers or editorial have allowed Etrigan to not rhyme without causing riots.

Someone should make a book where he gets promoted to whatever rank of demon has to speak entirely in hikau.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Garth Ennis had Etrigan rhyming like a fuckin' boss.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
It was a real nice touch of the recent Ragman comic to have another rhyming demon show up with a different rhyming scheme from Etrigan. The introduced one had an ABAB scene iirc while Etrigan's is AABB

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Having read the first volume of Moore's Swamp Thing a long time ago, I was real giddy when I got to the Kamara story while reading The Demon. I think I remember him doing some rhymes early on, but he certainly never needed to speak that way, that was all Moore? I'm... frankly not surprised.