Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Potato Salad posted:

Yes, progress doesn't come from activism, it comes from internet thoughts and prayers

Progress doesn't come from putting the progressive movement in a literal no-win situation, you massive dolt.

Potato Salad posted:

Like, say, wrest for control of the Dems?

You literally cannot wrest control of an institution from the establishment if you're categorically binding yourself to always support said establishment in the end, because then they can take away your ability to influence the institution with impunity.

Like, let's say that you're making progress in your plan, but since the establishment knows that you'll vote Dem in the end, they abolish the primary system. Now every candidate is handpicked by, say, the DNC. The hell do you do then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Cerebral Bore posted:

Like, let's say that you're making progress in your plan, but since the establishment knows that you'll vote Dem in the end, they abolish the primary system. Now every candidate is handpicked by, say, the DNC. The hell do you do then?

Remind yourself that Republicans are bad

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Potato Salad posted:

In the US, I can't vote far left within a coalition that will ultimately lock horns to protect the poor , discriminated, and disenfranchised. Coalition building in the US takes place, sorta-kinda-not-really in the primaries, and the constraints of two parties are so hosed up that you can't refuse participation without ceding power to the right.

Even ranked voting won't help us much without going multiparty first or at the same time. This isn't the "multiple parties now" thread, so :colbert:

Again, yes, taking away support from the marginally-less-bad option allows the more bad option to win immediately, however taking away that support is a component of replacing the less bad option with a good option. It has to happen at some point.

You can't get lovely politicians out of power if you keep voting for them, because all you are doing is supporting the mill of lovely politicians that rely on "well the republicans are worse" as their only selling point.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Never in history, people tell me never in history has a party realignment or severe shift ever happened.

Apparently.

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Potato Salad posted:

Never in history, people tell me never in history has a party realignment or severe shift ever happened.

Apparently.

there's one going on right now you're just not on the right side of history any more

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

I think I replied with something similar to this before, but the really big and important differences here are that 1. the other player has goals other than winning and would possibly rather lose than fulfill your demands and 2. the other player doesn't necessarily know why you rejected the deal (and in the case of the Democratic Party, they're likely to interpret it as "because we weren't racist enough" or something).

You're not wrong (and as we saw in the UK, there were more than a few Labour [UK democrats] leaders willing to admit that they would rather the Tories win than allow a left prime minister), but at the same time it's possible that there will be politician unwilling to go down with the ship in the name of Centrism. Shumer for example was more than happy to start tapping his feet to Bernie's drum until they managed to get the RUSSIANS topic rolling. I imagine it would be significantly harder to get donors for a "Intentionally Lose So Leftists Cant Get Power" party than a "Win And Get All The Lobbyists" party, and politicians happy to be eternal losers than check-cashing senators.

as for figuring out the why, this wouldn't necessarily be a problem in the long term (worst case: they try to go further right, still dont win people, still need to try something else), and in the short term I'd argue that there's more public leftist democrats ready to lead the party than public conservative democrats.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Potato Salad posted:

Apparently.

I would suggest that they probably haven't happened as a result of people invariably supporting the status quo of said party, no.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Potato Salad posted:

Apparently.

As has been explained to you, that's literally impossible to pull off if everybody acted like you want them to. This shouldn't be a difficult concept to grasp, even if you're thick as pig poo poo.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Potato Salad posted:

Apparently.

We're trying to do one and you're sitting here arguing with us about doing it the wrong way.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Potato Salad posted:

Lol, just lol at "giving people a reason to vote" the reason is plain as party affiliation in most cases, on the basis that the few unions that remain are about to be killed by Neil Gorsuch. My sexual orientation is now protected information per the Civil Rights Act by ruling of US circuits 2 and 9. It would have been great for these rulings to stand long term instead of facing inevitable reversal when Ginsburg/Breyer dies or Kennedy retires. Thanks, internet "progressives." I'm just as convinced as you are that a Hillary justice would've been worse for my human rights than a Trump pick :jerkbag:

Maybe unions would have voted for the Dem if the Dems had done basically anything to benefit them in the past *checks watch* twenty years or so? The Dems have been abandoning unions for political gain more and more openly ever since Carter, and unions have been becoming more and more disgruntled with the Dems over the past years. The Obama administration had a rocky relationship with labor leaders, who couldn't help but notice that they were completely ignored when Dems controlled all three branches and that union-busting efforts in the states failed to gain much Democratic opposition. The Clintons made hostility to unions one of the features of their triangulating centrism, and while Hillary's presence on the Wal-Mart board of directors was mostly attacked for their tremendous wealth and lovely wages, let's not forget that Wal-Mart is also stridently anti-union.

The Dems can't expect to get away with just promising to do nothing and taking people's votes for granted. If they're not willing to make a stand in favor of groups, they're going to have trouble motivating those groups. On the flip side, they're not entitled to people's votes either. If they learn that they can do absolutely nothing for a group and still get that group's votes, then they're going to continue to do nothing. Naturally, if they start losing that group's votes, then they're going to need to promise more in order to get it. One perfect recent example of that, actually, is the Obama administration's timeline on LGBT rights - campaigned on DADT repeal in 2008, doing fuckall about it in the first two years, losing the midterms, immediately rushing DADT repeal through in a matter of days, and then "evolving" their position on marriage equality right in the middle of the 2012 election campaign.

If the best thing you can say about the Dems is that they won't do anything about these issues one way or the other, then it shouldn't be too surprising that people aren't psyched to vote for them.

Potato Salad posted:

Yes, progress doesn't come from activism, it comes from internet thoughts and prayers

Voting isn't activism.

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

Cerebral Bore posted:

Progress doesn't come from putting the progressive movement in a literal no-win situation, you massive dolt.

You literally cannot wrest control of an institution from the establishment if you're categorically binding yourself to always support said establishment in the end, because then they can take away your ability to influence the institution with impunity.

I mean we learned recently that the DCCC not only brick walls progressive candidates out of races through rolodexing to make sure they are already in the back pocket of wealthy patrons, require the campaign to spend at least 75% of it's funds on pre-approved advertising consultants, but actively lobby Democrats to be shittier once they are in office.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/dccc-las-vegas-massacre-email_us_5a9579f6e4b036ab0142c108?ncid=engmodushpmg00000004

quote:

The morning after the Oct. 1 mass shooting in Las Vegas, a member of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee’s press staff warned House candidates and their staffs not to “politicize” the shooting that day. Politicization, according to the DCCC official, included talking about gun violence prevention policy.

“You and your candidate will be understandably outraged and upset, as will your community. However, DO NOT POLITICIZE IT TODAY,” DCCC regional press secretary Evan Lukaske wrote to candidates in the Northeast. “There will be time for politics and policy discussion, but any message today should be on offering thoughts/prayers for victims and their families, and thanking 1st responders who saved lives.”

https://theintercept.com/2018/02/27/dccc-internal-polling-congress-single-payer/

quote:

Single payer does, however, pop up a number of times in the document — under the banner “LIKELY REPUBLICAN LINES OF ATTACK.” Members of Congress were given two pages of Republican and conservative attacks against Vermont Independent Senator Bernie Sanders’s single payer plan without being offered any sort of defense against the claims.

The memo cautions Democrats, “The American people overwhelmingly want Congress to improve the Affordable Care Act, not repeal it or replace it with something radically different. We need to offer reasonable solutions to improve the law instead of a massive overhaul.”

The problem is that if we vote for the candidate that we want in the primary, then vote for the DCCC approved candidate in the general, we are actively making it more difficult to change the Democratic party into something better because frankly these people are our enemies even if they are less scary than Republicans and you don't win by making your enemies stronger. These people have repeatedly proven that they will actively fight against any progressive change and have no intention of either fighting against or providing an alternative to an increasingly white nationalist Republican party. What do we buy by supporting these people other than a couple of seat warmers that will block anything better while literal Nazis are taking over the Republican party?

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Iron Twinkie posted:

I mean we learned recently that the DCCC not only brick walls progressive candidates out of races through rolodexing to make sure they are already in the back pocket of wealthy patrons, require the campaign to spend at least 75% of it's funds on pre-approved advertising consultants, but actively lobby Democrats to be shittier once they are in office.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/dccc-las-vegas-massacre-email_us_5a9579f6e4b036ab0142c108?ncid=engmodushpmg00000004

https://theintercept.com/2018/02/27/dccc-internal-polling-congress-single-payer/

The problem is that if we vote for the candidate that we want in the primary, then vote for the DCCC approved candidate in the general, we are actively making it more difficult to change the Democratic party into something better because frankly these people are our enemies even if they are less scary than Republicans and you don't win by making your enemies stronger. These people have repeatedly proven that they will actively fight against any progressive change and have no intention of either fighting against or providing an alternative to an increasingly white nationalist Republican party. What do we buy by supporting these people other than a couple of seat warmers that will block anything better while literal Nazis are taking over the Republican party?

"PROACTIVE SOLUTIONS (only if asked)" <--- this has to be the most democratic party phrase ever

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Theres nothing to be gained from blaming the non-voters for not voting other than the moral high ground. It doesnt magically make them voters. If all you want is to feel righteous while the country burns down around you, cool, but also gently caress you.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Control Volume posted:

Theres nothing to be gained from blaming the non-voters for not voting other than the moral high ground. It doesnt magically make them voters. If all you want is to feel righteous while the country burns down around you, cool, but also gently caress you.

I mean, by all means, don't primary centrists I guess.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Main Paineframe posted:

Maybe unions would have voted for the Dem if the Dems had done basically anything to benefit them in the past *checks watch* twenty years or so? The Dems have been abandoning unions for political gain more and more openly ever since Carter, and unions have been becoming more and more disgruntled with the Dems over the past years. The Obama administration had a rocky relationship with labor leaders, who couldn't help but notice that they were completely ignored when Dems controlled all three branches and that union-busting efforts in the states failed to gain much Democratic opposition. The Clintons made hostility to unions one of the features of their triangulating centrism, and while Hillary's presence on the Wal-Mart board of directors was mostly attacked for their tremendous wealth and lovely wages, let's not forget that Wal-Mart is also stridently anti-union.

The Dems can't expect to get away with just promising to do nothing and taking people's votes for granted. If they're not willing to make a stand in favor of groups, they're going to have trouble motivating those groups. On the flip side, they're not entitled to people's votes either. If they learn that they can do absolutely nothing for a group and still get that group's votes, then they're going to continue to do nothing. Naturally, if they start losing that group's votes, then they're going to need to promise more in order to get it. One perfect recent example of that, actually, is the Obama administration's timeline on LGBT rights - campaigned on DADT repeal in 2008, doing fuckall about it in the first two years, losing the midterms, immediately rushing DADT repeal through in a matter of days, and then "evolving" their position on marriage equality right in the middle of the 2012 election campaign.

If the best thing you can say about the Dems is that they won't do anything about these issues one way or the other, then it shouldn't be too surprising that people aren't psyched to vote for them.

Voting isn't activism.

What you're describing is centrist Dems slowly and painfully being dragged left on LGBT equality despite not being primaried out of office. You're literally describing a change that took place slowly because nobody primaried these fucks out of office.

No sane person would deny the existence of a feedback loop between party minority status and platform realignment, per VitalSign's M4A example. You can lose and lose and lose to drag the establishment at snail's pace to the left. Woohoo, congrats :toot:

However, there is greater efficacy in engaging in, to invent a term, first strike activism where you elect leftists and don't need to endanger anyone by empowering a hostile majority.

That isn't helped by ensuring that the progressive movement is as cynical and disengaged as possible. Sure, fine, hold out for the 2012-style , after-the-fact evolution of party policy if you want. I don't loving trust centrist Dems enough to crawl leftward quickly enough to address oppression and discrimination, particularly the Religious Freedom movement, adequately. Stick to your suggested path and we're going to see a Religious Freedom state-sanctioned Jesus-based discrimination bill passed before 2020 or 2024.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Mar 1, 2018

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Potato Salad posted:

What you're describing is centrist Dems dragging left on LGBT equality despite not being primaried out of office. You're literally describing a change that took place slowly because nobody primaried these fucks out of office. There is greater efficacy in engaging in, to invent a term, first strike activism where you elect leftists and don't need to endanger anyone by empowering a hostile majority.

That isn't helped by ensuring that the progressive movement is as cynical and disengaged as possible. Sure, fine, hold out for the 2012-style , after-the-fact evolution of party policy if you want. I don't loving trust centrist Dems enough to crawl leftward quickly enough to diminish oppression adequately.

uh, centrist dems didn't drag left on LGBT equality. they were dragged left by outside groups after all the hard work was done despite centrist efforts to stymie them. hth

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Condiv posted:

yes, and how is voting for centrists that will help continue the decline of the middle and lower classes, encourage grotesque levels of income and wealth inequality, and force disastrous trade policies and gut our education systems fighting and winning? seems more like giving in and losing to me.

Just a point here....You can steer centrists from your own party, especially now as 3rd Way centrism is on the run and reeling. You cannot steer the opposition.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

TyroneGoldstein posted:

Just a point here....You can steer centrists from your own party, especially now as 3rd Way centrism is on the run and reeling. You cannot steer the opposition.

You can only steer centrists when they're losing. Doesn't matter whether they're losing to primary challengers or general election challengers, but they won't change as long as they can win just by doing what they always do. And even then, they're still pretty stubborn - after all, they honestly believe that what they're doing is the way to win.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I see that Potato Salad has adopted the bold debating strategy of ignoring all rebuttals to your argument in favour of just restating it over and over.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

TyroneGoldstein posted:

it's almost impossible to steer them, and they will fight you tooth and nail. and they will betray you at critical moments. they are false friends and it doesn't really help us to help them attain power, especially when they're in the middle of stacking the deck in the primaries in order to prevent anything we want from happening

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Potato Salad posted:

No sane person would deny the existence of a feedback loop between party minority status and platform realignment, per VitalSign's M4A example. You can lose and lose and lose to drag the establishment at snail's pace to the left. Woohoo, congrats :toot:
For someone whose most important issue is M4A in the Democratic platform, this pace is faster than what a Hillary victory would have achieved (which I remind you was "it will never happen")

Potato Salad posted:

However, there is greater efficacy in engaging in, to invent a term, first strike activism where you elect leftists and don't need to endanger anyone by empowering a hostile majority.
This isn't mutually exclusive with not voting for Hillary though. You can vote for leftists in primaries and not vote for centrists in general elections. Not voting for centrists doesn't affect getting leftists elected, because a obviously a leftist wouldn't get elected whether that centrist wins or not.

Potato Salad posted:

That isn't helped by ensuring that the progressive movement is as cynical and disengaged as possible. Sure, fine, hold out for the 2012-style , after-the-fact evolution of party policy if you want. I don't loving trust centrist Dems enough to crawl leftward quickly enough to address oppression and discrimination, particularly the Religious Freedom movement, adequately. Stick to your suggested path and we're going to see a Religious Freedom state-sanctioned Jesus-based discrimination bill passed before 2020 or 2024.

Yeah no poo poo, but since you're unlikely to be able to Jedi mind-meld people who want jobs and healthcare and education into not caring about that, your only option if you want them to vote for my gay rights is to offer them those things alongside it. And since there's no reason not to offer healthcare and jobs and education (besides corporate ghouls paying politicians not to), refusing to do it is choosing to lose and keep the bribes coming rather than win and possibly get cut off the gravy train.

You can insist that Republicans are so bad voters owe you their votes, you can even help Trump in the primary like Hillary did in the hopes that his badness will excuse hers, but spoiler alert that's not as effective at getting out the vote as offering people real hope and real solutions.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Potato Salad posted:

What you're describing is centrist Dems slowly and painfully being dragged left on LGBT equality despite not being primaried out of office. You're literally describing a change that took place slowly because nobody primaried these fucks out of office.

Donors are fine with LGBT rights, donors are not fine with the massive systemic changes that are needed to improve everyday people's lives. That's the difference.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Potato Salad posted:

I mean, by all means, don't primary centrists I guess.

This is like the fifth time youve pulled this bad faith poo poo. gently caress off

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

https://twitter.com/MotherJones/status/969339577931583489

Can't wait for the Lesser Evil argument to vote for Lipinski if he wins the primary

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Remember when national democrats burned Heath Mello's career to the ground because he was about 1/2 as pro life as Lipinski is?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

VitalSigns posted:

https://twitter.com/MotherJones/status/969339577931583489

Can't wait for the Lesser Evil argument to vote for Lipinski if he wins the primary

Don't let him win it.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Nevvy Z posted:

Don't let him win it.

it's tough when the establishment has firmly placed their thumb on the scale for him. not that people aren't going to try to win the primary

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

But if he does win, we should vote against gay rights and women's health because Republicans are worse, right?

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

VitalSigns posted:

But if he does win, we should vote against gay rights and women's health because Republicans are worse, right?

The district’s Republican being a literal Illinois nazi is likely a factor in all this.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Office Pig posted:

The district’s Republican being a literal Illinois nazi is likely a factor in all this.

I think he just wants to hear a consistent response such as he's heard with fiscal leftism. That is to say, he wants yo hear someone have the balls to say:

"Yes, queer and female voters should vote against LGBQT protection and reproductive rights to keep the republicans out".

It's rather telling that there are posters who will enthusiastically throw poor americans under a bus, but squirm when a topic dear to their clique becomes the focus.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Office Pig posted:

The district's Republican doesn't have a chance. This is a district that voted blue in every presidential election since a 1992 redistricting. Hillary won it by 15 points, and the district went for Bernie before that. This is a district where whoever wins the Democratic primary wins the election. Meanwhile, Lipinski has been a notably disloyal Dem who voted against the ACA, voted against LGBT protections, voted against the Dream Act, openly opposed abortion, and repeatedly voted against Pelosi's minority leadership. There's no reason for the party to be backing him other than machine politics - the same machine politics that got him the seat in the first place, since his influential daddy exploited his position in regional politics to hand his seat down to his son without a primary.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Main Paineframe posted:

The district's Republican doesn't have a chance. This is a district that voted blue in every presidential election since a 1992 redistricting. Hillary won it by 15 points, and the district went for Bernie before that. This is a district where whoever wins the Democratic primary wins the election. Meanwhile, Lipinski has been a notably disloyal Dem who voted against the ACA, voted against LGBT protections, voted against the Dream Act, openly opposed abortion, and repeatedly voted against Pelosi's minority leadership. There's no reason for the party to be backing him other than machine politics - the same machine politics that got him the seat in the first place, since his influential daddy exploited his position in regional politics to hand his seat down to his son without a primary.

I completely agree with this, which is why I imagine the primary and general are quietly going to frame the election as a matter of maintaining some fragile hold that doesn't exist with some dumb slogan like "Better Safe Than Sorry" so the establishment doesn't actually have to explain or justify the choices it makes.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Neurolimal posted:

I think he just wants to hear a consistent response such as he's heard with fiscal leftism. That is to say, he wants yo hear someone have the balls to say:

"Yes, queer and female voters should vote against LGBQT protection and reproductive rights to keep the republicans out".

It's rather telling that there are posters who will enthusiastically throw poor americans under a bus, but squirm when a topic dear to their clique becomes the focus.

Correct, I want to see whether anyone will have the stones to be consistent with their Lesser Evilism and say they'd throw gay people to the wolves to win a short-term electoral victory.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Neurolimal posted:

In general it is transparently obvious that some liberals do not consider issues like poverty/material inequality to be as serious/important as certain social issues. I say "some" because a significant portion don't even take social issues seriously, but I think a bunch of the younger liberals on these forums at least seem to genuinely care about issues like racism or LGBT rights, but in doing so they reveal their much higher tolerance for other forms of injustice.

The most obvious example is the way they treat politicians/individuals who are bad about the topic in question. They will (correctly) treat being against gay marriage or affirmative action as unacceptable, but they'll call you a purist if you apply the same standards to people who oppose universal healthcare or refuse to take non-trivial action to address wealth/income inequality. My personal theory is that this is usually because they might personally know some racial/gender minorities (or are one themselves) but don't know anyone who isn't relatively materially well-off.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

Correct, I want to see whether anyone will have the stones to be consistent with their Lesser Evilism and say they'd throw gay people to the wolves to win a short-term electoral victory.

lmao at your new title, you made a centrist mad enough to spend :10bux:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

rip racist redtext from the heart thread

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

"Lesser Evilism" implies that it is, in fact, the lesser evil. So yeah, I'd do it. It sucks and I won't be happy about it but I'd feel a lot worse if instead of "no LGBTQ protections" we got "mandatory conversion therapy". I know that's cold comfort for gay/trans people, but until we are rid of FPTP voting systems it's unfortunately what we're left with.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

SSNeoman posted:

"Lesser Evilism" implies that it is, in fact, the lesser evil. So yeah, I'd do it. It sucks and I won't be happy about it but I'd feel a lot worse if instead of "no LGBTQ protections" we got "mandatory conversion therapy". I know that's cold comfort for gay/trans people, but until we are rid of FPTP voting systems it's unfortunately what we're left with.

And next year, you get to choose between 'mandatory conversion therapy' and 'execution'.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Inescapable Duck posted:

And next year, you get to choose between 'mandatory conversion therapy' and 'execution'.

Or maybe next year I can choose between 'better LGBTQ protections' or 'the same as they are'. You're also responding to an answer I gave towards a hypothetical scenario with a slippery slope. Not exactly sure what you're trying to do here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Point out that the Republicans have been blatantly using the Democrats' willingness to roll over the 'compromise' to push further and further right, until you've got them tacitly supporting literal Neo-Nazis with increasingly little subtlety.

• Locked thread