Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

stew and dumplings turned out amazing. the instant pot is honestly a life changer. normally I'd have to cook things for hours to get them tender, but I put the cheapest cuts of beef in for 45 minutes and they came out perfectly.

only issue I seem to run into is my dumplings never quite turn out as fluffy, airy and tasty as my mum's. I follow this recipe:

125g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
1 tsp baking powder
pinch salt
60g suet
water, to make a dough
I personally threw in some parsley, rosemary and thyme as well, just to liven them up

they're edible and alright, but nowhere near the quality of the stuff my mum makes, despite it using the exact same suet. my mum's dumplings are at least twice the size of the ones I make, and they've got a real nice bite to them but aren't undercooked dough. tips would be appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Q8ee posted:

Try your best to take it to a recycling centre. Pouring it into a plastic container and binning it makes me sad.

Yeah I think there are some centers around me that will take it off my hands. But putting it in a plastic container first seems bad, so I dug up some old mason jars to hold it until then. Thanks goons.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

C-Euro posted:

But putting it in a plastic container first seems bad

...why? It's cooking oil. It's not going to eat through plastic.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

The Midniter posted:

...why? It's cooking oil. It's not going to eat through plastic.

maybe they don't want to waste / spoil a plastic container by making it forever smell of bacon fat and grease. also, C-Euro, do yourself a favour and bag up any other recyclables so you can nail two birds with one stone when you go to drop the oil off. I'm not your dad, though, so you can do whatever you like.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I generally put my used fryer oil back in the plastic container it came from, so there's no worry about ruining the container.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

C-Euro posted:

Deep-fried some pork a little while back and now I have all of this leftover oil that I need to dispose of. Pouring it down the sink seems like a bad idea, and I've used this oil for a few rounds of frying already so I'm not interested in "reclaiming it" or storing it for continued use. What should I do in order to properly get rid of this stuff?

Are you talking about that bad powdered sugar I had

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Anyone got a good recipe for parmesan truffle mashed potatoes? I keep having trouble getting just the right balance

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I go with a potato:parm:truffle oil ratio of 8:1:0 :v:

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I have about 12 oz of beet juice. What to do with it. I love beets, my family not so much. I considered making rice with it but I doubt anyone will eat it except me. Any other ideas?

The one true heezy
Mar 23, 2004

Q8ee posted:

stew and dumplings turned out amazing. the instant pot is honestly a life changer. normally I'd have to cook things for hours to get them tender, but I put the cheapest cuts of beef in for 45 minutes and they came out perfectly.

only issue I seem to run into is my dumplings never quite turn out as fluffy, airy and tasty as my mum's. I follow this recipe:

125g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
1 tsp baking powder
pinch salt
60g suet
water, to make a dough
I personally threw in some parsley, rosemary and thyme as well, just to liven them up

they're edible and alright, but nowhere near the quality of the stuff my mum makes, despite it using the exact same suet. my mum's dumplings are at least twice the size of the ones I make, and they've got a real nice bite to them but aren't undercooked dough. tips would be appreciated.

I think egg whites will give you more of a fluffy, tender bite. For flavor you could consider some garlic powder or onion flake. Also the suet will beg for salt, so don't be afraid to dial that up a little

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

wormil posted:

I have about 12 oz of beet juice. What to do with it. I love beets, my family not so much. I considered making rice with it but I doubt anyone will eat it except me. Any other ideas?

Shame. Beet risotto is something special. I've made Blumenthal's Beet Spelt version a few times and it's always good.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Is it safe to make bechamel and let it sit/cool let’s say half an hour? I’m making croque monsieurs tonight and feel like poo poo so I’ll be taking it slow. Is that danger zone poo poo?

The one true heezy
Mar 23, 2004

Feenix posted:

Is it safe to make bechamel and let it sit/cool let’s say half an hour? I’m making croque monsieurs tonight and feel like poo poo so I’ll be taking it slow. Is that danger zone poo poo?

I wouldn't be scared to let it sit for hours, but that's me.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It will be fine. It may thicken up a bit, so either be prepared to thin it or make it a touch thinner than you normally would.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

wormil posted:

I make pickled eggs with beets; the eggs get dyed from the beet juice and come out really cool-looking. So spring-y!

(photo not mine)

I imagine you could just sub some or all of the water of a regular pickled egg recipe with the beet juice and get the same effect, even if you're not adding actual beets --- using red onion also bumps up the color factor. The vinegar, sugar, and spices pretty much overwhelm the beet-iness in the eggs, imo.

Edit: you can also take it step further and make deviled eggs with these, and the devil-ing stuff will probably further disguise it. (I fuckin LOVE beets, so it feels really awkward advising how to disguise their flavor, but I'm trying to help!)

You can also dye Easter eggs with it (along with a bunch of other stuff in your kitchen):
https://www.bhg.com/holidays/easter/eggs/natural-easter-egg-dyes/
Fun way to get your kids involved in the kitchen, as well as use some produce that might have gone slightly south.

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Mar 1, 2018

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

wormil posted:

I love beets, my family not so much.

Idea 1: love your family more :v:

Idea 2: beet and potato hash is yummy for breakfast, so consider simmering potatoes in a shallow beet juice + water pot*, then making a hash with the parcooked potatoes. Hashes are so much better when you free up the starch in this way, and it's easier to say "sorry fam, I made special breakfast just for me" than the same but for dinner.

* actually, I've started microwaving peeled diced potatoes (cover airtight with cling wrap, 5-8 min on high) and I'll never turn back, so maybe try that.

Idea 3: Google beet juice cocktails. I've had a few out and about but I've never tried any at home.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Beet eggs look amazing. Beet hash sounds awesome and I'll try that with actual beets. I think I will make beet risotto and if they don't eat it, more for me. I once put beets in beef stew and it turned this wonderful reddish purple but my family wouldn't eat it because they said it looked like blood.

Wait, that gives me an idea ... do you like - bisgetti? What about beetsgetti?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6TggqanpFI

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I've made beet pasta and it was great, but I've only done it using beet powder. But I bet you could try it with beet juice.

Although tbh I would just drink it

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

wormil posted:

Beet eggs look amazing. Beet hash sounds awesome and I'll try that with actual beets. I think I will make beet risotto and if they don't eat it, more for me. I once put beets in beef stew and it turned this wonderful reddish purple but my family wouldn't eat it because they said it looked like blood.

Wait, that gives me an idea ... do you like - bisgetti? What about beetsgetti?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6TggqanpFI

God that movie is so loving good

Seconding the lovely beet eggs also

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

al-azad posted:

Regular brain: Tuna fish with celery
Big brain: Tuna fish with relish
Galaxy brain: Tuna fish with capers and green olives

Universe brain: Tuna fish with sardines and balsamic.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I don't know where I bookmarked this from, but I have this recipe: https://www.jaysbakingmecrazy.com/2016/11/06/paleo-beef-barbacoa-chipotle-copycat/

It looks good, but I just have a standard pressure cooker. I'm thinking the same hour under pressure and quick release as mentioned will be fine, but I wanted another opinion before I ruin some beef.

I mean, I've got a slow cooker, but I want to use my pressure cooker more.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

noted appliance from the paleolithic era; pressure cookers.

serious answer: the recipe uses chuck roast, which is a fairly forgiving cut of meat, so whichever method is fine.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

QuarkMartial posted:

I don't know where I bookmarked this from, but I have this recipe: https://www.jaysbakingmecrazy.com/2016/11/06/paleo-beef-barbacoa-chipotle-copycat/

It looks good, but I just have a standard pressure cooker. I'm thinking the same hour under pressure and quick release as mentioned will be fine, but I wanted another opinion before I ruin some beef.

I mean, I've got a slow cooker, but I want to use my pressure cooker more.

Standard stovetop pressure cookers are usually a little higher pressure than Instant Pot/electric ones, so It'll probably be fine. Stovetop models are usually 15 PSI, the instant pot works between 10-12.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Eeyo posted:

Stovetop models are usually 15 PSI, the instant pot works between 10-12.

I'm finding out that most stovetop pressure cookers don't hit 15 either

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Cool. I wanted to double check; I hate the idea of wasting food.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

I'm finding out that most stovetop pressure cookers don't hit 15 either

May be true! Do you mean that their design pressure is lower, or that they typically operate at a lower point?

I “measured” my presto by measuring the inside diameter of the pressure pipe and the weight of the regulator, comes out to about 15, but I can imagine it being lower from pressure losses near the high pressure point and the rocking motion.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I stupidly overcooked basmati rice. It has no texture and is practically mush, edible mush. So tonight's curry is a bit lacklustre, should have just cooked it the way I always do instead of trying something new.

My question is: what dishes can I make to best utilize overcooked rice? I'm thinking stir fried dishes will salvage it a little, right? If I fry the rice in a pan and then throw whatever fried rice recipe poo poo I want in after it.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Anyone want to recommend a great sous vide salmon recipe? I have a whole filet. Last time I made a pretty simple recipe with thyme, rosemary, and sage in the bag with a bit of butter, then seared in a pan while basting with butter. It was amazing, but I wonder what else I should try.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Have you tried salmon mi-cuit?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Q8ee posted:

I stupidly overcooked basmati rice. It has no texture and is practically mush, edible mush. So tonight's curry is a bit lacklustre, should have just cooked it the way I always do instead of trying something new.

My question is: what dishes can I make to best utilize overcooked rice? I'm thinking stir fried dishes will salvage it a little, right? If I fry the rice in a pan and then throw whatever fried rice recipe poo poo I want in after it.

I mean fried rice is better with dry rice than gelled rice. I've done this before and rice pudding wasn't hurrble

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Q8ee posted:

Jook

Qubee
May 31, 2013

yeah I think I'll just chuck it. I've never been a fan of rice pudding, which sucks, cause I'd have rice pudding for days. I'll make a small batch of fried rice tomorrow and see if it's any good.

it's far too gelatinous and it has basically all melted into one glob of starch, I don't think there's any salvaging to be done. I've got no idea why, I followed a recipe that said 1 cup rice to 2 cups water (I had 2 cups rice, so I used 4 cups of water) and it just screwed up. my mum's knuckle rule works every time, even though someone scienced the poo poo out of it earlier by saying it can't be accurate, since different width / depth pans would give different quantities of water for the same knuckle depth. just some motherly magic, I guess.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

Have you tried salmon mi-cuit?

I haven’t, though I’m looking for something for tonight rather than tomorrow. Next time I buy salmon I will do that right away, though, sounds great.

Edit: jk turns out my gf had already made dinner plans. I’ll find something for tomorrow!

Lawnie fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Mar 4, 2018

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Can I get some recommendations for ways to use up 8 lbs of pork butt? I've already made a shitload of carnitas and chile verde in the past and I want something new. Smoking it is non-viable for me.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Bossam. If you're feeling like doing something fancy, the Momofuku version.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

About to make chicken wings...

Egg wash or no Egg wash before breading?

The wings will be deep fried if that makes a difference.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Q8ee posted:

yeah I think I'll just chuck it. I've never been a fan of rice pudding, which sucks, cause I'd have rice pudding for days. I'll make a small batch of fried rice tomorrow and see if it's any good.

it's far too gelatinous and it has basically all melted into one glob of starch, I don't think there's any salvaging to be done. I've got no idea why, I followed a recipe that said 1 cup rice to 2 cups water (I had 2 cups rice, so I used 4 cups of water) and it just screwed up. my mum's knuckle rule works every time, even though someone scienced the poo poo out of it earlier by saying it can't be accurate, since different width / depth pans would give different quantities of water for the same knuckle depth. just some motherly magic, I guess.

YouTube ATK rice science. They did a nice 2-3 min video (someone linked to itt earlier this week?) about ratios of rice to water which was spot on.

The TL;dw is you can't double a rice recipe linearly. The amount of water which evaporates is constant based on the width of your pot, so same pot, double rice needs less than double water. Some amt of water goes into the rice, the rest evaporates. Double the absorbed amt, keep evaporation amt constant.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Last time I made a pot roast the gravy (which I made from four cups broth that had been soaking all the vegetables as it cooked) had an overpowering flavor that I think the celery caused because I was using 4 entire stalks of it (for a 3 pound roast). So my question is, next time I make this, should I use significantly less celery in the broth or would any amount of celery essence be bad mixed with gravy?

Edit: Also went heavy with the rosemary and thyme, using 4 sprigs each instead of 2 - 3, but I don't think that's what did it. Gonna cut back on it either way though

Jewel Repetition fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Mar 4, 2018

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
So I want to make a double batch of these Italian meatballs and freeze about half. What stage should I freeze them? I was thinking after broiling but before simmering them in sauce.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/01/italian-american-beef-pork-meatballs-red-tomato-sauce-recipe.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I have been blessed with Umami Nirvana. I went to the store today to buy a bunch of stuff for this fried rice I was going to make. Decided to splash out on Asian cuisine stuff, cause I love it. Bought fish sauce, oyster sauce, umami salt and umami paste, soy sauce, and then lemongrass and stuff.

The fried rice using yesterday's botched rice turned out amazing. It's really sticky and I can eat it with chopsticks.

- I fried two eggs in sesame oil, scrambled them, threw in a tin of tuna, mixed it all up so it was really broken down
- Added the umami paste (which is ginger and a bunch of umami flavours), chilli flakes, chinese allspice, let them get to know each other
- Added some fish sauce and oyster sauce, but I was a bit easygoing on them, as I've never cooked with them before and just know they're salty
- Added in yesterday's rice, broke it down and mushed it all together, then threw some soy sauce in at the end for good measure
- Plated it up, added some chopped green onions, some more chilli flakes, a squeeze of lime and sprinkled the umami salt over the top

It's totally blown my head off and it tastes delicious. I forgot to add the lemongrass but I have no idea if that would have even worked tbh. You take a bite, and the lime flavour hits your tastebuds, then fades away, and then you crunch into a green onion and that makes sweet, gentle love to your mouth, all the while your tongue is just being coated in this deliciousness of flavour.