Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

General Dog posted:

So over the course of the series it was cheaper to build the lovely new "engine" (I don't know the correct term) for Rebels than it would have been to keep making new stuff and new episodes with the one from Clone Wars?

That's a shame, Clone Wars (especially toward the end) was gorgeous.

I never want to see Lothal again.

I think the idea is (and I am woefully unqualified to speak on the subject) that, unless they were going to be reusing a good portion of the characters (which would be hard to imagine would be possible), they were going to have rebuild everything anyway, so they did it in a cheaper fashion.

From my understanding, the reason The Clone Wars looks so pretty by the end was they already had the character assets built for all the characters they needed, so they could spend more time on everything else. Well, that and George Lucas pouring a bunch of his own money into the project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

General Dog posted:

So over the course of the series it was cheaper to build the lovely new "engine" (I don't know the correct term) for Rebels than it would have been to keep making new stuff and new episodes with the one from Clone Wars?

That's a shame, Clone Wars (especially toward the end) was gorgeous.

I never want to see Lothal again.

Engines have nothing to do with it. What Phylodox means is that if you used the old assets and did the new assets poorly there would be a harsh contrast in quality between the assets and that would be jarring. It is better to have everything look bad but still maintain a cohesive and unified art direction than to have great looking stuff contrasting with clearly lower quality stuff. So if they used the old assets they'd also have to make the new assets good and the cost of making everything bad is probably less than the cost of reusing stuff and making the new art up to par.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

Yeah, the issue is that Clone Wars episodes cost 2-3 more than those from a typical animated series, if I recall correctly. Though I believe the abandoned hanger with the darkness monsters from season one of Rebels was an unused Clone Wars asset.

Regarding Lucas’ involvement, I think he was planning to be hands-off after the first season, but kept going because he was having too much fun to stop. Plenty of episodes came straight from him, and the rest would’ve been approved by him. I think it’s fair to say that no character (whether new or adapted from other media) appears without his say-so.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Using the old clone wars assets would also probably up the render times which is going to make them more expensive to use too.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

DancinBrud posted:

Yeah, the issue is that Clone Wars episodes cost 2-3 more than those from a typical animated series, if I recall correctly. Though I believe the abandoned hanger with the darkness monsters from season one of Rebels was an unused Clone Wars asset.

Regarding Lucas’ involvement, I think he was planning to be hands-off after the first season, but kept going because he was having too much fun to stop. Plenty of episodes came straight from him, and the rest would’ve been approved by him. I think it’s fair to say that no character (whether new or adapted from other media) appears without his say-so.

I'm still holding out hope we'll see Darth Insanius and Darth Icky at some point

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

I love that story so much, just like I love the one about Lucas calling lightsabers “laser swords” during the production of Episode 1, until everybody else started calling them that too, then he starts calling them lightsabers again.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

DancinBrud posted:

I love that story so much, just like I love the one about Lucas calling lightsabers “laser swords” during the production of Episode 1, until everybody else started calling them that too, then he starts calling them lightsabers again.

Also love that "laser sword" made its way into TLJ

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

General Dog posted:

This is probably just a stupid question, but would anything have prevented them from staying with the same style/animation program/whatever from Clone Wars going into Rebels and reusing a lot of its assets?

Strictly speaking, they most likely are using the same animation program, and the rest of their pipeline is probably identical to Clone Wars as well. Working in VFX, we reuse assets quite often - trucks from Terminator 5 were put in the background of Hunger Games, and any movie we do with a Mammoth is going to re-use the one we built for 10,000 BC.

When it comes to Rebels/Clone Wars asset re-use, it probably just comes down to art direction. Clone Wars went for a hand-painted maquette look, while Rebels is designed to resemble Ralph McQuarrie art and Kenner toys. Reusing assets would probably be jarring just from a visual perspective. Even thought they appeared only briefly, Clone Wars era Anakin and Obi-Wan were rebuilt in the Rebels style, most likely to avoid this.

The other thing that contributes to Rebels feeling "low-budget" compared to Clone Wars is people. Just at looking at IMDB, it looks like a lot more of Rebels was done by Lucasfilm Animation Singapore than Clone Wars was, but most of the direction and supervision seems to have stayed in San Francisco.

Speaking from experience, it's a lot harder working with artists halfway around the world and halfway around the clock than it is to have them in the next room. Any time you have a note on a shot, it's a 24 hour turnaround to see the result rather than 24 minutes, and when you have 20 episodes animation to do, a lot of stuff has to become "good enough".

Robot Style fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Mar 1, 2018

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
This is a pretty good vid showing all the voices that were heard in the webway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyymBDBOcr0

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I was really hoping that "Impressive. Everything in that sentence was wrong" would be one.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

can we all just take a moment to recognize that one Stormtrooper who was prepared to let Sabine go if it meant not doing paperwork :allears:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

:respek:

Also the Scout Trooper that lent Sabine the armour was a woman, I don't recall seeing a woman trooper before, the closest was the Death Trooper on the freighter Saw blew up, and any number of officers.

Minnesota Manatee
Aug 28, 2009

You're just talking about Rebels, but I'll add that iirc the scout trooper class in Battlefront II is a woman too. But I don't remember any other women troopers in Rebels aside from the ones you mentioned. After The Force Awakens I was expecting or hoping that they were going to start including women amongst the classic era stormtroopers too, but Rebels has mostly disappointed in that regard. Oh, and it's rather strange that there weren't a lot more women as rebel commandos in Rogue One. I think there was only one in the Visual Dictionary that I've never actually spotted in the film.

P.S. These last four episodes have been totally top notch awesome and the finale looks pretty wild.

Minnesota Manatee fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Mar 1, 2018

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

So I'm binging the poo poo out of Rebels to try and get ready, but I'm unsure if I want to dive into Clone Wars.

Doesn't the entire series build up into one great Mandalore (or different planet, sorry) showdown that wraps up literally every thread including Anakin seeing Ahsoka again, more stuff with Maul, etc. And that this battle, despite being canon, is NEVER depicted in any media?

Like how does that even work?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Not on the screen, but there were women stormtroopers in the Rebels prequel novel.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Aayla Secura was specifically brought into the prequels from the comics cuz Lucas liked the cover art of one issue. She got no lines, don’t think she was referred to by name on screen, but she was part of the Order 66 sequence.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Narcissus1916 posted:

So I'm binging the poo poo out of Rebels to try and get ready, but I'm unsure if I want to dive into Clone Wars.

Doesn't the entire series build up into one great Mandalore (or different planet, sorry) showdown that wraps up literally every thread including Anakin seeing Ahsoka again, more stuff with Maul, etc. And that this battle, despite being canon, is NEVER depicted in any media?

The big thing that stands out as not getting mentioned in the movies is anakin having his own padawan and it not coming up later.

The show has some batshit stuff in it but its not really correct that all builds towards mandalore. For the most part the show is a series of mostly standalone arcs. Some act as followups (or prequels, arcs aren't always linear) to others and there are a some throughlines but it's mostly quite contained.

The mandalore/maul/dathomir stuff is about as tangled a Web as the show has, the big thing about it is that it frequently doesn't feature the main cast at all. Eventually those tie in with each other but I don't think it not really coming up later is a big deal?

Anyway it's a better show than rebels even if the first season is probably worse

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

twistedmentat posted:

This is a pretty good vid showing all the voices that were heard in the webway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyymBDBOcr0

This is great, thanks for posting it.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Narcissus1916 posted:

Keep in mind that Clone Wars was cancelled unexpectedly immediately after the Disney merger, and they had planned for two or three additional seasons. One of the reasons there are so many Clone Wars threads in Rebels is because a lot of stuff never got the chance to be wrapped up.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Aces High posted:

can we all just take a moment to recognize that one Stormtrooper who was prepared to let Sabine go if it meant not doing paperwork :allears:

Honestly, I'd like to just call out that the Empire was actually doing a decent job of guarding the temple excavation site. It actually kinda floored me given how often the Empire is just portrayed as inept.

Ezra and Sabine are both caught looking around and they only escape via an Ezra mind trick.

They are both essentially caught again at the mural and Sabine has to let herself get taken back to headquarters (essentially sacrificing herself) to buy Ezra time.

Sabine's identity is immediately ascertained by the Imperial official who then has a legit reason for keeping her alive and not executing her on the spot.

The only ineptness in the episode is allowing Chopper to steal their drill tank which allows the group to escape. Still, it was a nice bit of writing and creativity.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Thwomp posted:

The only ineptness in the episode is allowing Chopper to steal their drill tank which allows the group to escape. Still, it was a nice bit of writing and creativity.

And tbf to the writers, this is actually a really common slip-up in security in slave-owning societies due to the need, or want, to invisiblise slave-work. It's been written about since at least Livy.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Narcissus1916 posted:

Clone Wars is basically an anthology of 4 episode arcs focusing on different characters, so even if they did have big plans for the ending, I don't find the ending unsatisfying. The note that Ahsoka and Anakin part on is actually really good.

Anyway, if you've been able to wade through Rebels, I see no reason not to check out Clone Wars because it's better in every way.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I was so happy we got Ian McDiarmid since no one else ever gets the cackle right.

Plus we got Malcolm McDowell, so both on-screen chancellors were in this episode.

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Mar 1, 2018

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Colonial Air Force posted:

Plus we got Malcolm McDowell, so both on-screen chancellors were in this episode.

Eh? Vallorum was played by Terence Stamp.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Oh yeah I'm dumb

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
And now I have a mental image of McDowell as General Zod and I never knew that was something I wanted.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

PantsOptional posted:

And now I have a mental image of McDowell as General Zod and I never knew that was something I wanted.

Meh, he was Metallo and that's close enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBnBUebT6nw

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

Narcissus1916 posted:

To echo everybody else: give it a shot! I wrote a guide to the essential episodes if you’re wary of the commitment. It’s linked in the OP.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I kind of think episodes where Jar Jar and Mace Windu go on a mission and Jar-Jar becomes romantically involved with a bird queen, and also there's some kind of Temple of Doom subplot is not only peak Clone Wars, but also maybe peak Star Wars.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
The lost season should've stayed lost

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

General Dog posted:

I kind of think episodes where Jar Jar and Mace Windu go on a mission and Jar-Jar becomes romantically involved with a bird queen, and also there's some kind of Temple of Doom subplot is not only peak Clone Wars, but also maybe peak Star Wars.

Jar Jar referring to Windu as "Masterin' Mace" will always make me giggle.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

That team-up was way better than it had any right to be. Also reinforced the idea of Mace’s Jedi arrogance.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

They sure did a good job making Sheev look creepy in this.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Roth posted:

They sure did a good job making Sheev look creepy in this.

He was honestly a little too "bubble bubble toil and trouble" for me with the blue flamed caldron.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Perhaps, but it was also a fairly-direct TCW callback:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I am not a fan of them opening up time travel fuckery in Star Wars and I hope it doesn't get abused or even called to. But using it as a means to bring back Ahsoka, even just for a little bit, was good. She's one of the best things to come out of these series.

God I miss Clone Wars. :(

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Vintersorg posted:

She's one of the best things to come out of these series.

Agreed, something I never would have thought of myself saying on or about CW Season 1.

I also agree that while they handled time wonkery well enough in the episode, the self-control of writers for the new EU is about as nonexistent as that of the old, and I fear where this will lead.

englerp
Oct 13, 2011

Vintersorg posted:

But using it as a means to bring back Ahsoka, even just for a little bit, was good. She's one of the best things to come out of these series.

Dito. Also, at least since Ezra just put back in the Sith temple, just in the present, for all everyone except Ezra knows, she was just trapped there since her fight with Anakin, so there's no huge paradox.

Imho at least, it also helps that her "Is she alive or dead"-situation was of the type "never found the body". (Though before this episode my theory regarding her survival was more on the lines off "Ahsoka and Vader got separated and their duel aborted when the temple collapsed").

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Is the finale a longer episode? Or still a 22 minute?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

It’s three episodes smooshed together, and I believe it starts airing a half hour earlier than normal.

• Locked thread