Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

EugeneJ posted:

I have an Amazon Rewards Visa Signature card, and Amazon just sent me an email saying in addition to 3% back at Amazon and Whole Foods (or 5% with Prime), they're adding quarterly bonus categories

The first one is 5% back at Restaurants from March 1st-May 31st

That's pretty awesome

That's pretty cool. No doubt because many users (myself included) only use it to bank on Amazon purchases. I don't even carry the card with me. Hopefully they roll it out for all users.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

EugeneJ posted:

I have an Amazon Rewards Visa Signature card, and Amazon just sent me an email saying in addition to 3% back at Amazon and Whole Foods (or 5% with Prime), they're adding quarterly bonus categories

The first one is 5% back at Restaurants from March 1st-May 31st

That's pretty awesome

Thanks for the heads up. The GF uses this card almost exclusively so this will be a nice boost for her.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
They haven't announced the other quarters yet, but I'm going to guess since the phrasing is something like "earn 3% more cash back in addition to your normal 2% cash back at Restaurants for a total of 5%" that the upcoming quarters will be Gas Stations and Drug Stores since those also earn 2% normally with the card. Maybe Quarter 4 will be 10% back at Amazon/Whole Foods for the holidays like they did with the Chase Freedom card a few years back?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Care to share the full text (minus personal info, of course) of the e-mail? The 5% restaurants thing is targeted, and I was unfortunately not.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

astral posted:

Care to share the full text (minus personal info, of course) of the e-mail? The 5% restaurants thing is targeted, and I was unfortunately not.

quote:

More rewards are on the menu: Earn 5% Back at restaurants!

Because you're a valued cardmember, you'll automatically earn a total of 5% Back on up to $1,500 in purchases at restaurants from March 1 through May 31, 2018.* That's an additional 3% Back on top of the 2% Back you already earn!

It's an appetizing way to earn more rewards!

1 Use your Amazon Rewards Visa Signature Card for all of your restaurant purchases from March 1 through May 31, 2018.
2 Earn 5% Back on up to $1,500 in restaurant purchases during this promotional period.
3 Use your reward points to shop for millions of items at Amazon.com or sign in to your Chase account to redeem for cash back, gift cards and travel.

TERMS AND CONDITIONS
* Earn an extra 3% Back (for a total of 5%) on purchases at restaurants: During the promotional period of March 01 until May 31, 2018 earn a total of 5% Back per $1 spent at restaurants, on up to $1,500 in purchases ($75 maximum earn), when you use your Amazon Rewards Visa Signature credit card. That's an extra 3% Back in addition to the 2% Back you already earn on purchases at restaurants. The % Back earned for this promotion will post to your account as bonus points during the applicable monthly billing cycle and are generally available to be used at the beginning of the next billing cycle; bonus points earned on purchases made near the end of a billing cycle may take up to one additional billing cycle to become available. To qualify for this promotional offer, your account must be open and not in default at the time of fulfillment. This promotional offer is non-transferable. For more information about your rewards program, see your Rewards Program Agreement.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

astral im sorry you had to learn you weren't a valued cardmember this way.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Thanks - looks like that's just a targeted spending category bonus rather than the introduction of quarterly categories.

Shear Modulus posted:

astral im sorry you had to learn you weren't a valued cardmember this way.

:smith:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

WTF I didn't get any such email for my Amazon Visa.

Though to be fair, my Prime membership is currently lapsed.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Josh Lyman posted:

WTF I didn't get any such email for my Amazon Visa.

Though to be fair, my Prime membership is currently lapsed.

I don't have the Prime version of the card, just the regular version - maybe that's why I got it?

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

EugeneJ posted:

I don't have the Prime version of the card, just the regular version - maybe that's why I got it?
Ah maybe that is it, I too have the prime card and I didn't get it either, just the whole foods thing.

E: I just got the email an hour ago.

SiGmA_X fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Mar 1, 2018

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Once Amazon rolls out their 2 hour Whole Foods delivery for prime members in NYC I'll consider getting an Amazon specific card.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Anyone have a referral link for the CSP card? I cancelled mine in February and I want to get it again to reclaim the sign on bonus.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
CSR annual fee is about to hit. Is there any reason not to renew? I used to have a CSP a few years back so I'm not sure I'm eligible for a signup bonus from that.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Anyone have a referral link for the CSP card? I cancelled mine in February and I want to get it again to reclaim the sign on bonus.

Got it, thanks! Easiest $500 I'll make today.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Is there a card that's good for getting hotel deals? I'm about to get Southwest Companion Pass, so I won't need airline miles, but I would like to churn to cover hotel costs. I know Marriott and SPG seem to be the big players, but I don't care too much about luxury hotels, more just maximizing the number of days I can get. Should I still go with them or should I just do CSP and use the UR points to book? Are hotel stays even worth the points?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

drainpipe posted:

Is there a card that's good for getting hotel deals? I'm about to get Southwest Companion Pass, so I won't need airline miles, but I would like to churn to cover hotel costs. I know Marriott and SPG seem to be the big players, but I don't care too much about luxury hotels, more just maximizing the number of days I can get. Should I still go with them or should I just do CSP and use the UR points to book? Are hotel stays even worth the points?

A lot of people like transferring UR points to Hyatt for good redemption value.

You can move points between SPG and Marriott to get a pretty nice number of combined nights. Also keep in mind if you have enough Marriott points, you can use them for a nice nights&flights package.

There are also Amex Hilton cards with pretty high bonuses at the moment.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

drainpipe posted:

The min-max way is to find a chain that you like and get the card associated with it. The general travel cards are good for the bottom feeder chains like Motel 6/Choice Hotels/etc., so if those are your speed then you're good with the CSP. If you find yourself gravitating toward Marriott/Hilton/IHG properties, you get much higher rewards using the card specifically for that chain, over and above the signup bonuses.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
Can you "churn" MileagePlus Explorer cards? I previously had a Explorer Card that's been cancelled for a while, and the bonus was over 24 months ago.

I also have a current Club Card, which is tied to the same United account, but was separate from the Explorer (not a product upgrade).

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Untagged posted:

Can you "churn" MileagePlus Explorer cards? I previously had a Explorer Card that's been cancelled for a while, and the bonus was over 24 months ago.

I also have a current Club Card, which is tied to the same United account, but was separate from the Explorer (not a product upgrade).

That's a Chase product so you should be able to churn the bonus every 24 months.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
One note about United points, if you don't use them, and don't have an active United CC, the points expire. However you can click through the United milage store and buy something from a store, and you get some points but also it renews the entire bank of points. Since I cancelled my United card, and don't travel too much, I've kept my large bank of points alive for years by that method.

svenkatesh
Sep 5, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Jerk McJerkface posted:

One note about United points, if you don't use them, and don't have an active United CC, the points expire. However you can click through the United milage store and buy something from a store, and you get some points but also it renews the entire bank of points. Since I cancelled my United card, and don't travel too much, I've kept my large bank of points alive for years by that method.

Other than JetBlue and Delta this is the case for all airline miles.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
I kept my Southwest points alive by spending $.99 at Burger King

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I recommend MileagePlus X. There's a lot of ways to earn points not duplicated elsewhere.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I'm looking at the Capital One Savor and wondering, would Grubhub orders qualify for the 3% cashback rate for dining or does that only count on direct charges to restaurants?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Alright this is a dumb and hopefully simple question.

Quick background, I’ve always paid for poo poo with cash, debit or personal check. I have a stable median salary, about $50k in cash & liquid assets and no credit score at all. I would like to be able to function normally in this era, so I’ve begun applying for credit card(s).

The issue is that I’ve applied for several cards now through a variety of places (including my bank of 15+ years) over time and been turned down for all sorts of reasons, including “insufficient income,” and “no credit history” after disclosing upfront that I had no credit score and asking exactly what I needed to do in order to be approved for a low limit card through said institutions.

Is my best/only course of action at this point applying for a secured card, such as the discovery card linked in the OP?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Hauki posted:

Is my best/only course of action at this point applying for a secured card, such as the discovery card linked in the OP?

Gotta start somewhere, and that's a good place to start.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Power of Pecota posted:

I'm looking at the Capital One Savor and wondering, would Grubhub orders qualify for the 3% cashback rate for dining or does that only count on direct charges to restaurants?

Just get the Uber card, it gives you 4% back at restaurants (including GrubHub orders).

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I have a Discover It card that I opened a little over 3 years ago for a balance transfer but since paying that off, I basically don't use it anymore. It's my only Discover card.

Is there any way for me to ever be eligible for their cashback match again? Could I close it and wait like 12 months to reopen a new account?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

I have a Discover It card that I opened a little over 3 years ago for a balance transfer but since paying that off, I basically don't use it anymore. It's my only Discover card.

Is there any way for me to ever be eligible for their cashback match again? Could I close it and wait like 12 months to reopen a new account?

Could always call and ask if they can apply the cash back match offer to your account. Sometimes they have other offers available.

Otherwise opening a new one would work.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

astral posted:

Could always call and ask if they can apply the cash back match offer to your account. Sometimes they have other offers available.

Otherwise opening a new one would work.
My understanding is that cash back match only applies to new customers, which I am not, and presumably they prevent you from just closing your account after 12 months and signing up for a new card the next week to get the match again.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
Would applying for the business southwest card and the personal southwest card at the same time raise any flags with Chase? I already have an ink business and a personal chase sapphire.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

No, we've done it before.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

My understanding is that cash back match only applies to new customers, which I am not, and presumably they prevent you from just closing your account after 12 months and signing up for a new card the next week to get the match again.

I've heard of a lot of people who signed up but originally didn't have the match offer being able to get it with a call. Not sure if I've heard anyone who did get it try to get it again that way, though, so there's only one way to find out.

You could sign up for a second one today and get the match again without even closing your previous one. People do this. I'd recommend calling to see if you could get it on your current account first though, and if not then cancel it and then reopen it after a month or so.

freezepops
Aug 21, 2007
witty title not included
Fun Shoe
Has anyone used the Insight Visa credit card/savings account?

https://www.insightcards.com/card-features/

It's a prepaid card that provides a 5% return on the prepaid portion up to $5000. I think I might park my savings account on this prepaid card to go from the Discover savings account interest rate (1ish percent) to 5% but I don't know. It seems too good to be true? After reading through the details there are a lot of fees on the order of a few bucks to do various things. Is that the catch?

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
I'd be hesitant?

https://www.bbb.org/csal/business-reviews/prepaid-debit-credit-cards/insight-card-services-in-birmingham-al-90033399/reviews-and-complaints

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
One of my first cards jumping into the credit card game 2 years ago was the CSR, with something like a 30k limit. I've now had a handful of high-end cards like that with huge limits, and recently decided to start the Discover game so I got an it. I'm trying to maximize the first quarter, but my card started to get declined. It took me a few minutes to realize I must have reached my credit limit, I forgot it was a whopping 1k. I asked the customer service rep over the phone if there was any way of increasing it, and he said it took at least 3 billing cycles before they would increase it. So, now I am haunting my account and making sure I immediately pay off everything that posts to keep the credit limit available. My goal is to maximize the 10% back this first year, but I might fall short due to this little snafu.

Just one more little wrinkle to consider when playing the cashback/points game...

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Hauki posted:

The issue is that I’ve applied for several cards now through a variety of places (including my bank of 15+ years) over time and been turned down for all sorts of reasons, including “insufficient income,” and “no credit history” after disclosing upfront that I had no credit score and asking exactly what I needed to do in order to be approved for a low limit card through said institutions.

Have you tried speaking with an actual person at your bank? If it was just their computer denying you they might happily approve you if you went in and talked to someone, especially if you have a 15 history with them.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

George H.W. oval office posted:

Get a Charles Schwab checking account at the least. No ATM fees internationally and no foreign transaction fees on everything else.

I finally did this after failing to get a couple travel credit cards, and it seems to have gone okay. I connected my regular checking account and deposited a bit, now it's pending.

One thing I can't figure out is how to actually request a card - I saw a few people saying they manually did it, but others said that it happened automatically once they deposited any amount. Anyone here gone through this recently? I'm gonna see what happens after the deposit clears, I guess.

also in the process of all this I discovered the SSN on my BoA account that I've used all my life is off by a digit (thanks mom for that typo!), so, uh, gonna get that straightened out. may have something to do with my lack of a credit history, if it's been partially under the wrong SSN :stare:

Oh, and also, with my BoA debit card, when I went to London last year, I pretty much had to sign for everything - it wouldn't work as a chip and pin card. Reckon this one will be the same? It didn't seem like much of an issue outside of a handful of things like ticket vending machines, but it was one of the reasons I was hoping to get a travel card.

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Mar 8, 2018

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

abraham linksys posted:

I finally did this after failing to get a couple travel credit cards, and it seems to have gone okay. I connected my regular checking account and deposited a bit, now it's pending.

One thing I can't figure out is how to actually request a card - I saw a few people saying they manually did it, but others said that it happened automatically once they deposited any amount. Anyone here gone through this recently? I'm gonna see what happens after the deposit clears, I guess.

I deposited some money and they sent me a debit card and like 60 checks a week later

No need to request them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

abraham linksys posted:

They sent me the card right away and checks after a deposit cleared

abraham linksys posted:

Oh, and also, with my BoA debit card, when I went to London last year, I pretty much had to sign for everything - it wouldn't work as a chip and pin card. Reckon this one will be the same? It didn't seem like much of an issue outside of a handful of things like ticket vending machines, but it was one of the reasons I was hoping to get a travel card.

AFAIK no U.S. credit cards, even travel cards, are chip+pin compatible yet. Its super lame.