Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Digirat posted:

Cool, if anyone gets a blue before 10 or an orange before 15 please post it

The gates in the last beta incentivized you to hoard boxes and I'm hoping this means that's out

I was getting blues in last week's beta at level 7-8 in emperor strongboxes. Last night I got my first green on the first commendation chest I opened (granted after a 3 grim 2 tome run that got me from level 1->3). So I think they eased back on the soft cap for green loot at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Digirat posted:

Yeah I think the new version of the strength potion/volley crossbow combo for roger has simply become "play as the lumberjack with a remington"

Fighting the troll with no special killers and I had absolutely no loving idea how you're supposed to avoid the spit because it instantly happened with no animation three times in a row, so until the lumberjack gets nerfed I think I'm going to make this the base I make sure the team always has covered on any mission I'm worried about, because just skipping the bosses sounds a hell of a lot nicer. in vermintide 1 that was making sure you equipped the hagbane or the volley crossbow if no one else did, in this game it seems to be playing as the lumberjack with the shotgun

FYI both Slayer and Shade are also able to turbodunk on bosses, it's not just the huntsman. Shade's backstab bonus with her active can lop off 1/3rd to 1-2 health of the boss in one swing. Slayer just stacks his stacking damage buff with a strength potion and leap and he'll kill a roger in like 7-8 seconds.

Calihan
Jan 6, 2008
Finally got my Drakefire Cannon. This game better not reset the loot again.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

I didnt like the fireball staff in the first few betas. But its really growing on me this time, that knockback it does is really useful and a charged ball can throw out a lot of damage.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

What are people doing with Kruber to get the mega crits? Is it during his stealth or something?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

fadam posted:

What are people doing with Kruber to get the mega crits? Is it during his stealth or something?

Huntsman stealth + I think he has a talent to increase ranged damage/headshot multipliers.

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

Martout posted:

yeah my pubbie experience last night was a Kruber that charged ahead and got downed over and over again, used all the healing items regardless of how much or little health he had and insisted on double grim run despite us barely managing to scrape by to begin with. I had a looooot of picked up allies by the end of it all!

were we in the same game? i mean that literally - i had a kruber do the same thing and then just repeatedly insult the rest of the team over text and mic for loving up ever when they were all level 1.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

jerry seinfel posted:

were we in the same game? i mean that literally - i had a kruber do the same thing and then just repeatedly insult the rest of the team over text and mic for loving up ever when they were all level 1.

My "Bad Kruber" story was during the previous beta, on Against the Grain. We got past the first field and jumped down and he immediately turned around to go grab the health draught by the scarecrow and he gets ambushed by every special under the sun while we are jump spamming trying to see past the fence to shoot specials. He died and immediately quit out of the game.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Coolguye posted:

i just ran some numbers, this poo poo is definitely loving super busted. the damage numbers reported by the dummies is way beyond crits.

i run hunter kruber with a halberd, right? let me just drop these numbers for you at hero power 105 (level 10, 5 equipment):

strong strike (basic slash, first one in combo): 800
strong strike crit: 2145
strong strike with the active's rampage going: loving 4800. with one slash clocking in at 9600. i presume that is the natural crit chance stacking with the rampage.

and the blunderbuss:
basic shot: 625 damage per pellet (remember, there's like 10-12 pellets or some poo poo per shot on the blunderbuss)
tripping on rampage: loving 2150.

that active is super loving busted and it ain't subtle about it. just guaranteed crits would be fine, but this is some serious special snowflake treatment that just equips him with the goddamn punch of kill everything.

Shade can do this poo poo without any potions. Dual Dagger heavy attacks from the rear to the back of the head. :ese: Bonus points if you're stealthed :getin:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Calihan posted:

Finally got my Drakefire Cannon. This game better not reset the loot again.

i was excited about the flamethrower at first but i think the lack of any 'real' stagger with it kind of soured the experience

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Drakefire cannon is a little weird. My gouts of flame are a bit... briefer than I was expecting?

How does the Altfire work exactly? Does holding M2 longer result in more flamethrowing?

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Ignite Memories posted:

Drakefire cannon is a little weird. My gouts of flame are a bit... briefer than I was expecting?

How does the Altfire work exactly? Does holding M2 longer result in more flamethrowing?

yup hold right down to charge then left click for more flamethrowing

Calihan
Jan 6, 2008

DeathSandwich posted:

My "Bad Kruber" story was during the previous beta, on Against the Grain. We got past the first field and jumped down and he immediately turned around to go grab the health draught by the scarecrow and he gets ambushed by every special under the sun while we are jump spamming trying to see past the fence to shoot specials. He died and immediately quit out of the game.

For me, it's Kerillian players.

The one to get tilted because the very first wave wasn't handled flawlessly?
The one that wants to get every grimoire every time regardless of how the party is fairing?
The one that clings to their healing supplies like grim death while the guy next to them is on 1 hp of white health?
The one that screams over voice chat because you don't know where every tome is the first time you are playing a map. In a game still in literal beta?
The one that howls over every mistake someone does, (real or perceived) but will still somehow blame others for charging off 500 yards ahead only to be hook-ratted?
The one that jerks off to their end-game score wilfully ignorant to the fact their character is a goddamn OP clown show with utterly ridiculous damage potential at nearly any range and health regen on top for hell knows what reason?

It's the Kerillian player. Always the Kerillian player.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Elfs were a mistake.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Calihan posted:

Kerillian much like 1, has been the problem character for me every time now as well, guy runs off and gets grabbed by this or that HALP, HALP, HALP like dude why the hell are you a mile away from all of us.

Calihan
Jan 6, 2008

Ignite Memories posted:

Drakefire cannon has to be "charged up" by holding M2. Costs heat but caps off when fully charged at about 1/3 of the heat bar. Firing also costs heat so don't charge up/release with a near-full heat bar and expect to survive. Also be careful holding M1 as if you run out of charge, you instantly go back to your little puffs which will happily kill you at high heat. Like the pistols, the cannon can be vented with the reload key at the same cost to health at high heat.

Firing the cannon without charging is a waste of time in both damage and heat cost. Charge up when a swarm is about to bear down on you, unload when they get close. Enjoy the barbecue.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Orange Drakegun with 20% less overheat lol.

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler
Never played VT before, how easy is it to catch up on levels? I have to work the next 7 days and my friends will be able to play pretty hard without me. Will I be so woefully behind I should just skip picking up this game?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Calihan posted:

Drakefire cannon has to be "charged up" by holding M2. Costs heat but caps off when fully charged at about 1/3 of the heat bar. Firing also costs heat so don't charge up/release with a near-full heat bar and expect to survive. Also be careful holding M1 as if you run out of charge, you instantly go back to your little puffs which will happily kill you at high heat. Like the pistols, the cannon can be vented with the reload key at the same cost to health at high heat.

Firing the cannon without charging is a waste of time in both damage and heat cost. Charge up when a swarm is about to bear down on you, unload when they get close. Enjoy the barbecue.

Haha, willie tomg was telling me yesterday how the flamethrower staff does the same drat thing if you accidentally hold M1 too long

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Stanley Pain posted:

Shade can do this poo poo without any potions. Dual Dagger heavy attacks from the rear to the back of the head. :ese: Bonus points if you're stealthed :getin:

While those numbers are big, the numbers reported are still much more sane than the hunter’s current insanity

E: there is also the point that backstab head shots are impossible against the cats you want to burst the most (bosses)

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Mar 1, 2018

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Because this game is very good and worth your time, here’s another cheap deal on the game if GMGs deal goes out.

Vermintide 2 at cdkeys for $22.89

https://www.cdkeys.com/pc/games/warhammer-vermintide-2

The Cheese Traders Guild calls upon your purchase.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Coolguye posted:

While those numbers are big, the numbers reported are still much more sane than the hunter’s current insanity

Kruber is the only character I didn't get a chance to muck around with. It does appear that everyone character has at least one if not 2 really good options for damage + control. I still haven't really figured out a groove for the handmaiden, but that's probably more of a play style thing.

I'm hard pressed to choose between Slayer or Shade though. :shobon:

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

Because this game is very good and worth your time, here’s another cheap deal on the game if GMGs deal goes out.

Vermintide 2 at cdkeys for $22.89

https://www.cdkeys.com/pc/games/warhammer-vermintide-2

The Cheese Traders Guild calls upon your purchase.

Fatshark could've charged double for this game and it would still be worth it. I'm really glad they didn't :D

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

Nodelphi posted:

Never played VT before, how easy is it to catch up on levels? I have to work the next 7 days and my friends will be able to play pretty hard without me. Will I be so woefully behind I should just skip picking up this game?
You'll be able to catch up pretty quickly, it's still much more Left 4 Dead than world of warcraft.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Calihan posted:

Yeah, that's the trick with the Drakegun and flamethrower staff for Sienna. Never use the primary fire alone. It's a single puff that only hits once, has a deceptively narrow cone of fire, and does so little damage that two shots of it won't even kill clanrats. Charge with Mouse2 and then hold down mouse1 and you'll hose down all comers hitting them multiple times and quickly killing even the norsemen.

It's a total street sweeper when charged and can hose down whole waves of chaff, but you'll have issues dealing with specials, which is something that hurts especially sienna who gives up the ability to reach out and touch gunners on command (without ammo concerns) when she uses the flamethrower staff. I think the Fireball staff is fine if a touch anemic. Conflag seems kind of bad because the fire damage over time effect seems nearly non-existant. Beam staff seems fine but carries the problems it has from the first game. Bolt staff seems like it's going to be where it's at since it has a good combination of chaff clearing ability, pretty reasonable damage overall, and a penetrating railgun charged attack for sniping specials a million miles away or behind a swarm.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Calihan posted:

For me, it's Kerillian players.

The one to get tilted because the very first wave wasn't handled flawlessly?
The one that wants to get every grimoire every time regardless of how the party is fairing?
The one that clings to their healing supplies like grim death while the guy next to them is on 1 hp of white health?
The one that screams over voice chat because you don't know where every tome is the first time you are playing a map. In a game still in literal beta?
The one that howls over every mistake someone does, (real or perceived) but will still somehow blame others for charging off 500 yards ahead only to be hook-ratted?
The one that jerks off to their end-game score wilfully ignorant to the fact their character is a goddamn OP clown show with utterly ridiculous damage potential at nearly any range and health regen on top for hell knows what reason?

I always have to force my party to take my health potions since I don't really need them with all that regen :shobon:

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Yeah, if your Waywatcher is good, she makes an excellent tome+grim carrier because the regen can carry her a long ways.

Ironbreaker works well for it too because of the damage reduction and the ability to soak a hit ever 20 seconds can really extend his life out.

Something else I've noticed about this game is that yeah, they changed blocking to be a lot harder to block from rear hits, but they have also given you a lot more options to get +stamina in gear and talents. I've got 7 block shields as a level 5 sienna because of weapon + trinket effects.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Mar 1, 2018

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I think what scared me off from Vermintide 1 was I heard on the higher difficulty there was friendly fire, and I didn't realize that melee wasn't included in this

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

if there was melee friendly fire then it would be entirely unplayable. the friendly fire that does exist is entirely manageable and just depends on your teammates not being dumb as hell, which of course means that the elf is going to nock a quiver's worth of arrows into your spine

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

DeathSandwich posted:

Yeah, that's the trick with the Drakegun and flamethrower staff for Sienna. Never use the primary fire alone. It's a single puff that only hits once, has a deceptively narrow cone of fire, and does so little damage that two shots of it won't even kill clanrats. Charge with Mouse2 and then hold down mouse1 and you'll hose down all comers hitting them multiple times and quickly killing even the norsemen.

It's a total street sweeper when charged and can hose down whole waves of chaff, but you'll have issues dealing with specials, which is something that hurts especially sienna who gives up the ability to reach out and touch gunners on command (without ammo concerns) when she uses the flamethrower staff. I think the Fireball staff is fine if a touch anemic. Conflag seems kind of bad because the fire damage over time effect seems nearly non-existant. Beam staff seems fine but carries the problems it has from the first game. Bolt staff seems like it's going to be where it's at since it has a good combination of chaff clearing ability, pretty reasonable damage overall, and a penetrating railgun charged attack for sniping specials a million miles away or behind a swarm.

I really like the Flamestorm staff but unless I'm playing with someone I know is running Bardin with a Pick and a good sniper or similar I don't use it because I'll need to do more than casually torch swarms. Flamestorm staff is for when I'm having a beer and playing with reliable people, basically.

e: finally had a classic Kerillian in my group, everyone is on grey health after fighting a troll in the wine cellar (fun fun fun) and the idiot insists on taking the second grim. I just don't understand the compulsion to always go full grims with no regard to how we're doing. Oh two people downed before first grim on Grain without anything special even having happened? gently caress it, not doing double grims is for noobs!

Martout fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Mar 1, 2018

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the swing speed on the dwarven pick is entirely awful and i'm not sure why i would use this over something like the 2-handed axe or hammer

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Johnny Joestar posted:

if there was melee friendly fire then it would be entirely unplayable. the friendly fire that does exist is entirely manageable and just depends on your teammates not being dumb as hell, which of course means that the elf is going to nock a quiver's worth of arrows into your spine

Even in Nightmare on Vermintide 1 (which I would consider the hardest 'balanced' difficulty before the game became cheap bullshit) the friendly fire was never as savage as Left 4 Dead. It only became a problem with bombs and if the wizard was constantly dumping all of her heat bar into the back of your head.

Edit: ^^^^^ It's really not though? The pick just transposes the warhammer/greataxe charge attack to the uncharged (so you swipe from side to side faster) while having a second level of charged attack that does frankly obnoxious damage. The pick is literally the only weapon in the game that does that. Aside from doing the supercharge attack on the pick, you only have to charge long enough for you to cock your weapon back to do most charge attacks for full damage.

Supercharged pick not withstanding, it's really quite comparable to Kruber's Executioner sword or the Elf's greatsword.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Mar 1, 2018

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
They should just keep the friendly fire out of the game outside of barrels and bombs.

Weapons show what they do now on the bottom of their tooltip, so you can make sure your using a weapon that you want it to do instead of having to read some steam guide to tell you how the weapons work.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Nodelphi posted:

They put a shitton of your capabilities as a player behind what is basically light level from Destiny, as well as other features such as bonuses you get from leveling up and extra stats from higher rarity weapons. If your friends really go all in on this game then they are going to be way more powerful than you. However as long as they aren’t weird and demand that they only play on higher difficulties by that point, what you can do as a brand new player will still be balanced for normal difficulty and playing with them will also level you up pretty quickly since they’ll be killing their way through levels a lot faster than if every player was level 1. If you’re ok with being a lot weaker than them for awhile, it’s still a really good-feeling action game and a safe recommendation in general for that alone

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
folks we're gonna need a bigger toilet to swirlie all these nerds

In related news, hey did you know the flaming sword punches people alight? That's the charged attack. You punch a dude so hard everyone adjacent bursts into flame. That should really be a tooltip, imo.

Still absolutely no idea the best place to use ceremonial dagger.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Johnny Joestar posted:

the swing speed on the dwarven pick is entirely awful and i'm not sure why i would use this over something like the 2-handed axe or hammer

I hate it too, never been able to use it. The forced steps forward when you charge your attack make THAT really awkward to use too

theoretically you're giving up some of the axe's skirmishing agility for a stronger charged attack - in practice i'd rather just have the faster swing speed so i can bop 'em on the head more often

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Mar 1, 2018

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Willie Tomg posted:

folks we're gonna need a bigger toilet to swirlie all these nerds

In related news, hey did you know the flaming sword punches people alight? That's the charged attack. You punch a dude so hard everyone adjacent bursts into flame. That should really be a tooltip, imo.

Still absolutely no idea the best place to use ceremonial dagger.

The flaming sword still sucks. The charged attack takes ages to come out compared to the regular sword because of the stupid flourishes and doesn't really do any better appreciable damage considering the fire damage over time effect does so little damage as to be basically non-existent. The non-flaming sword and the scepter are still her best weapons by a country mile.

Aside from that, someone dig up that mission results jpeg that had Sienna with more kills than everyone else combined because of that heat vent on crits effect wombo-combo with the bolt staff.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Johnny Joestar posted:

Yeah the only things you really needed to worry about were bombs, then Sienna in general and hagbane elf, because their DoTs ravaged your aim until they wore off.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Friendly fire is an anti-fun mechanic and the best trinket change they made when they rebalanced all of them was to make the engineer’s tools remove FF from bombs. Holy poo poo bombs are fun and total run-savers with no FF

I wish FF was gone in 2 because it made me just eventually stop using every staff except the bolt staff, and I feel like something similar may happen here

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Johnny Joestar posted:

To see how hilariously broken friendly fire in a co-op game can get check out SpaceHulk: Deathwing.

*Smashes Thunder Hammer into a Brood Lord*
*Entire Team of Terminators Dies*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Stanley Pain posted:

To see how hilariously broken friendly fire in a co-op game can get check out SpaceHulk: Deathwing.

*Smashes Thunder Hammer into a Brood Lord*
*Entire Team of Terminators Dies*

Did they ever make that game non-lovely or did the developers give up on it?

• Locked thread